Free Agency Daniel Menzel [Off to Sydney after Swans give him another chance as a DFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Might go for more opportunities especially if Ablett and Stringer end up there. Wouldn't begrudge him moving for more opportunity if he had the blessing of Scott and company.

They have been very good to him though.

Are any clubs chasing him?

Is his lack of forward pressure that much of an issue?

Freo has ruled themselves out.

That and his injuries. Geelong constantly rested him and so it’s hard to take a punt on a player who probably can’t play out anywhere near a full season.

Great talent and still kicked 40 goals. Am more then happy for him to stay at Geelong but understand other teams reluctance

I think the Crows should seriously consider offering him a 2 year Deal.. He would be a lot cheaper than motlop would have been and probably would kick more goals.. I know there's a knock on his tackling and pressure but motlop wasn't going to give us that either.

I think the Crows should seriously consider offering him a 2 year Deal.. He would be a lot cheaper than motlop would have been and probably would kick more goals.. I know there's a knock on his tackling and pressure but motlop wasn't going to give us that either.
Might be a bit awkward after we just delisted his brother, but you make a good case.

I'm surprised a lot of teams aren't chasing him tbh. altough i don't think he'd be the best fit for Adelaide with your current forward line.

For me the only potential downside is that he does his knee again and can't play, but really, that hasn't happened for a couple of years anyway and even if it did his contract would only be $250k or thereabouts so it's not like it's breaking the bank.

The upside is a 40 goal forward for peanuts.

He has his flaws no doubt, but for the cost i see it as a no brainer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised a lot of teams aren't chasing him tbh. altough i don't think he'd be the best fit for Adelaide with your current forward line.

For me the only potential downside is that he does his knee again and can't play, but really, that hasn't happened for a couple of years anyway and even if it did his contract would only be $250k or thereabouts so it's not like it's breaking the bank.

The upside is a 40 goal forward for peanuts.

He has his flaws no doubt, but for the cost i see it as a no brainer

I agree but coaches look at what Richmond did with their small forward line and players like Picken in the previous year and see how effective forward pressure is. Menzel doesn’t give any of that.

I hope he stays and has an awesome injury free year and gets a better contract then

You do need a balance though - Geelong in the QF v Richmond showed you still have to kick goals. Blokes like Zac Guthrie can put all the pressure on they want but if you miss critical goals it doesn't matter.

You do need a balance though - Geelong in the QF v Richmond showed you still have to kick goals. Blokes like Zac Guthrie can put all the pressure on they want but if you miss critical goals it doesn't matter.

True, I think the thing with Menzel is balance - you can only really carry one guy who doesnt defend in a forward line. If you already have one you cant carry a Menzel.

True, I think the thing with Menzel is balance - you can only really carry one guy who doesnt defend in a forward line. If you already have one you cant carry a Menzel.

I think so which is why he doesn't have a lot of interest from most clubs despite being a good player. If he doesn't sign with anyone by 5pm today you would imagine he is staying at Geelong.

Weird that the reports of Freo being keen didn't amount to anything. Since he hasn't changed clubs under free agency or whatever, does that mean he will either stay at Geelong, be traded, or be delisted? Like, can he be traded this week?

Weird that the reports of Freo being keen didn't amount to anything. Since he hasn't changed clubs under free agency or whatever, does that mean he will either stay at Geelong, be traded, or be delisted? Like, can he be traded this week?

Won't be delisted as he has a 1-year deal offered by the Cats. He can still be traded but my feeling is that he will remain a cat.

Geelong seemed to have played this well as they have got their way in Menzel having to take a one year deal that was offered.
Not like another club will chase him now.

Won't be delisted as he has a 1-year deal offered by the Cats. He can still be traded but my feeling is that he will remain a cat.

Thanks for the answer.

Nobody is going ro trade for him so he'll stay at Geelong. Why would somebody trade for him when last week all they would need to offer is a list spot and $$$$.

I agree mostly, but perhaps he's more likely to accept less money for a three year deal now, for example, since he was unable to find a new club via free agency. Anyway I like Geelong too so I'll be happy to see them retain a great player, just disappointed Freo didn't get him as was rumoured.

yeah, similar to us with Miles. No takers he plays in magoos and tries to fight for spot in 1sts or back up for imjuries..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back