Autopsy Geelong lose to Pies by 22 points - Rd 7 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I pretty much agree with this, but maybe they needed to sacrifice a mid or two for a proper key forward and complete the set. They've really blown it twice though (WCE GF and GWS PF) and if I was a Pies supporter with their list/potential, I'd be more upset at not getting a flag than what I have been with Geelong over the past 4 years. If Hawkins wasn't suspended for the prelim (given our first half dominance but inability to hurt them on the scoreboard) we might have nabbed one last season, but in general we've had too many deficiencies in personnel and game plan to be legit contenders during that time frame. Collingwood absolutely should have a flag or two to show during the same period.
Absolutely agree with this.
For us - the brilliance of our top 3 supported by very good next 6 has helped us land top 4s but we just don’t have the depth of talent needed to be a premiership side. Collingwood definitely do IMO and (notwithstanding the very good lists at WC and Tigers) will be massively underperforming not to win a premiership or two in the next 3 years.

Absolutely agree with this.
For us - the brilliance of our top 3 supported by very good next 6 has helped us land top 4s but we just don’t have the depth of talent needed to be a premiership side. Collingwood definitely do IMO and (notwithstanding the very good lists at WC and Tigers) will be massively underperforming not to win a premiership or two in the next 3 years.
When you see what the Pies having coming in the way of Father/Son and NGA talent you realise they're starting to build a formidable list, not just for now but for years to come.

Some interesting posts about our recruiting. Without repeating it all, think it is worthwhile to look at Collingwood’s recruiting approach - IMO has been exceptional. Their strategy of proactively trading to land young ‘seasoned’ high draft picks from expansion teams has been well executed - Treloar, De Goey, Adams (I think) etc. and have made very good draft choices in the ND - Good body strength/great footskills/quick (eg. Phillips, Quanor, even Noble). (As we did in the golden era) they have recently landed exceptional Father/Son talent with Daicos and Moore but the latter could have selected Melbourne but didn’t. In their favour - great facilities and a club of choice. They don’t make many mistakes.

Wells has had many great selections over a long period, but I think we’ve ‘blinded’ a little too much by local products, ‘hail Mary’ hopes on talented but significantly injured juniors and veterans and ‘smokey’ project types. Once we move into rebuild (and it won’t be long) I think we need to follow more of the Collingwood model - smarter ND choices and seasoned, skilled/quick 20-23 YOs from other clubs.
Definitely a handy team propped up by father sons and the best yet to come by the sound of it in the youngest Daicos. While DeGoey was a draft pick they’ve certainly made the most of their recruiting for sure, Howe, Varcoe, Greenwood, Crisp and Hoskin-Elliott are all first 22 when fit and paid stuff all for all of them. Getting a washed up Beams back their only shocker recently.

We need ball users with Duncan and selsy out we just didnt have much in creativity by foot, where the pies have a few guys the use the ball well in turn that makes them look faster then they actually are...

I just read the article by Tyson Otto. I’ve never actually seen a hatchet job on a footy team or player like this before. For no real purpose than to cut a team and players down. Plenty of players dive or feign contact during games. I don’t understand how a few incidents can suddenly put an asterisk on a legends career? Or tarnish the club as doing it habitually?

its really unpleasant to see writers go down this path and news sites publish it.

Fair enough that there is discussion for things that actually stain a club or a players career such as sexual assault, but bringing up things in games that really mean nothing? I don’t get it.

And even when the diving was done, we still lost the free kick count? So it’s kinda meaningless.

What we did to Brisbane in that 3rd quarter last week is only replicated a few times during the season, and that’s the footy we have to play if we are to have any chance at the flag. Fact is, we can’t back up that style, was evident last night again, so what hope have we got playing that way for 3 games come finals (if we were to make the GF), no chance.

I said last week, our best is good enough, it’s good enough to win it, but we don’t do it anywhere near enough.
Our best is only a one quarter effort it seems. Even v Lions, we lost 3 quarters. Collingwood has the list and the fitness too play sustained good footy.We can not rely on a one quarter onslaught against great teams like Collingwood who know how to pressure us out of our possession game into error-ridden, pressured footy. We just do not have the quality to withstand that.
Definitely a handy team propped up by father sons and the best yet to come by the sound of it in the youngest Daicos. While DeGoey was a draft pick they’ve certainly made the most of their recruiting for sure, Howe, Varcoe, Greenwood, Crisp and Hoskin-Elliott are all first 22 when fit and paid stuff all for all of them. Getting a washed up Beams back their only shocker recently.
Enviable fortunes. Perhaps they missed out on getting the best of Daniel Wells, but he was still a worthwhile selection.
Yeah, this could be setup nicely for WCE if they get more games there, along with potentially a GF in Perth.
I'd like to see Pies reverse the 2018 result by beating WCE in a GF in WA.

I just read the article by Tyson Otto. I’ve never actually seen a hatchet job on a footy team or player like this before. For no real purpose than to cut a team and players down. Plenty of players dive or feign contact during games. I don’t understand how a few incidents can suddenly put an asterisk on a legends career? Or tarnish the club as doing it habitually?

its really unpleasant to see writers go down this path and news sites publish it.

Fair enough that there is discussion for things that actually stain a club or a players career such as sexual assault, but bringing up things in games that really mean nothing? I don’t get it.

And even when the diving was done, we still lost the free kick count? So it’s kinda meaningless.
Really poor timing with the absolute no lube reaming we got from the umpires

I just read it:

What a sh*t house article. For starters, the "journalist" doesn't seem to realize it's Bartel, not Selwood, at the start of the video, rendering the whole piece redundant.

I'm not a fan of Selwood's drawing of free kicks or complaining to umpires, but come on. You'd get a better analysis from Hawthorn supporters on this site than that piece of sh*t.

I find the best part of the article to be that he totally ignored Blicavs and his effort from last year where he was actually fined for staging

If he's going to mention Selwood getting an elbow from Birchall and that Selwood apparently played that up, wouldn't he have been better off discussing something that actually happening and the time that a Geelong player was done for staging?

Dahlhaus and Menegola have played as genuine midfielders, putting a 36 year old in there shouldn't always be our back up plan.
It's the way Scott operates. Always has these panic bail-out positional movements that he goes to. Taylor forward, Blicavs to ruck/wing, Henderson forward, Ablett to the midfield. Takes him a long time to catch on to their ineffectiveness. In Ablett's case, it's not only been proven that midfield is past him, it's putting more wear on an old bloke we ran into the ground last year.

I find the best part of the article to be that he totally ignored Blicavs and his effort from last year where he was actually fined for staging

If he's going to mention Selwood getting an elbow from Birchall and that Selwood apparently played that up, wouldn't he have been better off discussing something that actually happening and the time that a Geelong player was done for staging?
He's an idiot and that article is absolute s**t, like most of the dreck on that website. Gone there a few times recently for quick updates on COVID stuff, and the editorial/"journalistic" standards are nothing short of atrocious bordering on non-existent I would say. It's like twitter with more words. I could probably get more coherent, informed reporting from twitter, in fact. Don't know how the contributors to that site got a degree. Must have found it in a cereal box.

It's a gross exaggeration of what modern mainstream media and the news cycle has become. Regurgitate stuff from other sources (a lot of it social media) and throw in fear and drama with a lot of rampant speculation, often with misleading headlines, to entice people to click. I wouldn't recommend using it as a source of news and definitely not opinion (imagine giving two shits about someone who felt basing an article on a random tweet was a good idea), but if anyone wants to study why you should take everything "news" sources say now with a huge grain of salt and not believe everything you read, that website explains very clearly why.

Going to sound like a broken record but basically our entire backline is dreadful with ball in hand. Blicavs, Kolo, Bews, Henry - cannot be relied on to either hit a target or take an attacking kick coming out of defence, and on the rare occasion they do it's a straight turnover. Balance is wrong in my opinion and it stifles ball movement something chronic.

Lonergan was a poor kick but he was excellent defensively and surrounded by assured disposers. With out current setup the ball is more often than not in the hands of a poor/average kick. Yucky!
Agree especially under pressure. They wobble and are jittery under pressure. Wouldn’t mind seeing cocky off half back with more of a license to spread. Might be good for hammies running off half back rather than turning all the time up front. A try would be good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is 100% winnable this year. We know (e.g. third quarter last week) that this team can play well enough to win it. The problems are mental/coaching/preparation related.
And performance related. They’ve played about 4 good quarters all year. Cats are bog average in general, yet titillate at times.

I respect that with free agency it became important to at least consider this study of thing.

But as I've said before, I think it makes it tough for up and coming youngsters. As soon as they start to look ok, perhaps to get promoted to the midfield or from grunge to a regular senior player, someone else comes in from another team.

Imagine that happening in the workplace every rubber you got close to a promotion. You would either quit or stop busting a gut and start going through the motions for the rest of your career.
Yes it stunts the development and changes the team locker room dynamic in a negative way against the players missing out.

Jude Bolton is also terrible....throughout the Brisbane game he called Charlie Cameron, Charlie Gardner......

Not once, but multiple times. And no-one pulled him up.

Amateur hour...

Oh god I thought that's what was happening!

Or maybe it was Darcy Gardiner he was calling Charlie?

The Selwood one was weird - because Birchall was fined for punching him. It's the wrong example.

Reading the article makes me feel like it was a rushed hatchet job to pre-empt any criticism of the unfavourable free-kick scoreline from the game - AND that the writer wasn't really familiar with AFL or the Geelong Cats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back