Autopsy Geelong QF loses to Richmond by 51 points

Remove this Banner Ad

SNAP!

It's due to an over-developed sense of entitlement, ignorance + poor manners. I remember when you'd go to the footy + chat away to oppo fans, have a laugh + it was a good day out.

When GAJr played his first game back at KP for 'Dawn to Dark' + kicked that amazing goal from the pocket, Cats supporters were clapping + cheering him. Suns fans next to us asked why we were clapping him? Surprising question, I thought.
At the Dons game earlier this year, I applauded the Tippa rundown of Selwood.

We were getting trounced.

An Essendon supporter next to me asked why I was cheering.

"I always applaud good footy" was the response.

I'm not sure why more people aren't like that.

At Friday's game a woman next to me (Geelong supporter) simply said, amongst the booing:

"Who teaches their children to boo?"

A bloody good question, I thought.

Last edited:
It happens all the time. It was far more noticeable because there were obviously more Richmond supporters at the game.

There's no immunity by virtue of being the home side. But it sounds like your gripe is more the fact that the game was played in Melbourne, rather than the booing itself. Because I can guarantee it would have happened to us had the game been played in Geelong. But if that was the case, we wouldn't be having this conversation, because I understand that booing is a part of the game.

It might happen all the time when Richmond play, but I've never experienced it either. Even against Carlton.

Booing the umpires as they run out? Sure. But the opposition team usually gets silence.

If Selwood wasn't fit?

Darcy Lang. Midfielder. First round draft pick. Four years in the system. Gives Selwood another week to get right.

Otherwise, Jackson Thurlow. Not a pure midfielder, but could play on a wing. Also a first round draft pick, and he's had five years in the system.

A fit player is better than an unfit one. No matter who they are. The game is too demanding now.
Forgive the intrusion, but I had a question regarding your team sections. As I genuinely like your club and always follow how the team's going, there were a few players that I noticed weren't playing the other night and I was wondering why.

Two of them (Lang and Thurlow) have just been mentioned, so I'll just ask about the one. George Horlin-Smith. Is he injured? Surely he's better equipped to handle the heat of a final than Parfitt or Parsons. I always thought he was a decent player. Tough, wins his own ball, and (judging by his after the siren goal against lolnorf earlier in the year), cool under pressure.

Injured? Or possibly just continually (and inexplicably) out of favour?

Good luck against the Sydney Swine.

"Highlights" (I use the term loosely) of our centre bounce attendences against the Tigers last Friday. If there's one take-away from this it's that, at centre bounces at least, our fumbling and generally awful ball-handling was at least as much of a problem for us as being second to the ball. Even Danger wasn't collecting anything cleanly.

Qualifying Final vs Richmond Tactics Spotlight: CENTRE BOUNCES (Full Match Edit)

Centre Bounces Qualifying Final vs Richmond
21 Centre Bounces Total
11 centre clearances won by Richmond
6 centre clearances won by Geelong

Wow, great edit. Thanks.

This sums up a lot of the problems. Pretty tough in the middle but Richmond won so many 50-50s to force it forward.

Forgive the intrusion, but I had a question regarding your team sections. As I genuinely like your club and always follow how the team's going, there were a few players that I noticed weren't playing the other night and I was wondering why.

Two of them (Lang and Thurlow) have just been mentioned, so I'll just ask about the one. George Horlin-Smith. Is he injured? Surely he's better equipped to handle the heat of a final than Parfitt or Parsons. I always thought he was a decent player. Tough, wins his own ball, and (judging by his after the siren goal against lolnorf earlier in the year), cool under pressure.

Injured? Or possibly just continually (and inexplicably) out of favour?

Good luck against the Sydney Swine.

In reverse order, Horlin-Smith had some good games and some poor ones earlier in the season. Never a question about attitude or effort, but does need to get 20-25 touches to really contribute. Worked his way back and was good against Fremantle, but injured his ankle and has been out ever since.

Lang also got injured late in the year (shin I believe). He's had 3 VFL games back so you'd hope fitness would be about right. Doesn't look like they'll be bringing him back though.

Thurlow is more of a puzzle. He's actually been fit all season. Been back and forth from the seniors to the VFL a few times. You would think he'd offer more physically than Parsons or Guthrie the Younger, but again, not sure what's going on there. He was an emergency last week so you'd think would be a near certain inclusion for Friday.

It's been a bizarre season, they certainly could beat Sydney. Need to improve just a little.

I'm a Richmond supporter who was at the game. The worst thing I said was "if you hurry to Corio you can still get a jaffle" to a bunch of people leaving early.

I'm more lame then evil or feral....
Shows just what an idiot you are. More Geelong members and supporters live in Melbourne than Geelong. I was probably home before you were.

Do you have any evidence of the Geelong posters complaining about being abused, almost 100k people and no video footage, must all be a big lie then. :rolleyes:
I didn't make any such claim to defend. You are the one trotting out this Trout garbage, but we all know that it is bullshit because not a single Richmond fan has produced any evidence that this 'event' actually occurred. I mean, its assault right - and we know Trout isn't the type of guy who wouldn't sink the boot in to an opposition supporter if he could - so why no police action?

Shows just what an idiot you are. More Geelong members and supporters live in Melbourne than Geelong. I was probably home before you were.

I'm all for calling out tiger fans for being so and so's, but I don't think you should worry about that tiger, he means well here.
Don't want to put off all visiting supporters visiting our board if they aren't being aggressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well certainly was the case , more lived out of Geelong and more supporters and members lived in Melbourne. And one of the myths that it you live in Geelong you must support that team. Commentators rabbit on about it, just ain't true

After the success from 2007 onwards I suspect a lot of geelong people got on the bandwagon

Supporters like you are like the players who were just happy with making finals in the 80s and 90s, and supporters like me are like the players in the 2000s where results like 2010 (and by extension 2012 to now) aren't good enough for a club of our stature or capabilities.
No, they're not, and no, you're not. Anything like either group. Steady is clearly saying work needs to be done, but that we have the list with enough upside to do it. And I agree - unlike others on this forum, I will not be throwing the baby out with the bathwater even if we lose badly to Swans this week.

After the success from 2007 onwards I suspect a lot of geelong people got on the bandwagon

Not so sure. Our supporter numbers remained stubbornly around the same number up a bit then dipped from memory. I would say new supporters have been attracted yes but are they 'bandwagoners'? Depends on definition I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not so sure. Our supporter numbers remained stubbornly around the same number up a bit then dipped from memory. I would say new supporters have been attracted yes but are they 'bandwagoners'? Depends on definition I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally would call supporters who weren't members who couldn't get a ticket to one of our grand finals that signed up as a member just to be able to go

Apologies if it's been mentioned, but on AFL 360 Monday night one thing that was said about the game was that Dustin Martin had 7 disposals on either side of 3 quarter time - after Guthrie had gone off injured - all of which were scoring involvements.

While it might not have changed the result, it does feel like losing Guthrie at such a pivotal time did have an impact on the final margin as Martin did put the burners on at that point and had a big say on the game getting away from us. I had certainly underestimated Guthrie's on the game until I heard that stat.

Supporters like you are like the players who were just happy with making finals in the 80s and 90s, and supporters like me are like the players in the 2000s where results like 2010 (and by extension 2012 to now) aren't good enough for a club of our stature or capabilities.

This reply to one of our posters is gobsmacking. "supporters like me are like the players in the 2000's " WOW.

You have a pretty big opinion of yourself and little regard for others.

If I can take you back to 2006 , the I know better than the club types , were baying for blood.
"Coach is hopeless" . The playing group just doesn't perform under pressure" (finals in 2004 and 2005)

Get rid of them!! Lucky brain fades don't always win the day.

I wonder whether you were so all seeing back then - or are were you too young then to have an opinion.

Poor selection choice against Richmond. Who started the match as the sub V Fremantle. Or is that a coincidence that the same coach has made a massive selection error consistently. Also notice that in 2011 we adjusted our game plan leading into finals based on quick movement through the centre of the ground to key marking forwards. We have been slow from 2012 onwards with ball movement.
The team is selected by the Match Committee, obviously the coaches choice is the priority. The team selection is not why we lost. Scott adjusted our game plan at various times in 2011 as he has done ever since, sometimes it does not work.
Yeah shame we didn't keep a certain player who's name rhymes with Baddy who may or may not have smashed us in that final last Friday... But I suppose that isn't the coaches choice to cut him lose despite him only being open to the move when we floated him to Richmond.
Steven Wells is primarily responsible for the list. We traded Josh Caddy, who had done nothing resembling the original top ten pick of which he was a member. We got Brandon Parfitt who won a Rising Star nomination in just his third game. Whether the trade will ultimately prove its worth is yet to be decided.
And yet all the experts on the football shows, including the celebrity medicos doubted he would be ready. And he certainly didn't look ready. Finals football 101 is DON'T TAKE HAMPERED PLAYERS INTO KEY MATCHES.
Yes he was not 100% nobody expected him to be, he was still worth more than most of the other players who took a night off. He will be better for the run and is to be expected close to 100% this week after that run, unless you still think he should be dropped.
Our finals record is atrocious, and made worse considering all the preseason puff pieces that proclaimed we had learned and improved from the Prelim last year. Yet we lost the QF the same way we lost the PF last year.
5 wins and 7 losses plus a premiership under Scott is hardly atrocious. Of course he could have the Hardwick genius of 3 consecutive final appearances for no wins followed by not making it all. Or the other genius Buckely's record of four consecutive years of no finals appearances.
Oh dear the resort to personal slur, always the last resort of those who have no argument. There are a number of young people who grew up in recent times of winning premierships and now seem to think it is automatic and quite easy. It is difficult to make the finals, it is difficult to make the top 4 it is difficult to win a premiership. Chris Scott said straight after the premiership in 2011 "you cannot overestimate luck in winning a premiership" something that is intangible.

I personally would call supporters who weren't members who couldn't get a ticket to one of our grand finals that signed up as a member just to be able to go
Mate, you're starting to look silly.

There's way more Geelong supporters outside of Geelong.

And to get a gf ticket you need to fluke a ballot.

Mate, you're starting to look silly.

There's way more Geelong supporters outside of Geelong.

And to get a gf ticket you need to fluke a ballot.

I suppose I'm pissed about the support Geelong had at the game on Friday night, maybe it's not the Geelong fans it's all
Richmond but I wasn't impressed with the turn out from Geelong fans TBH

Remove this Banner Ad

Back