Geelong v Hawthorn - Qual Final 2016 - MCG, Fri 7.50pm

Who will win? Cats or Hawks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What an amazing game! Congratulations to Geelong, yet another close win against us. For a change it was us missing instead of cats scoring after the siren, which for some reason seemed a little easier to handle. Will be difficult against Doggies next week, felt before the game however lost this one would be staring down the barrel of straight sets - such a physical encounter.

On the positive side, I thought we'd lose by a considerably larger margin, so if we can meet up again on GF day (which would seem unlikely now), I'd be going in more confident than I would have, had we got the result I was expecting tonight. The playing once in 3 weeks before the GF is an interesting wildcard. If it wasn't for the quality of at least 2 of the teams lurking outside the top 4, I'd have said it was a good year to lose a QF.

Oh, and for those who said Dangerfield wasn't that good, his disposal was perhaps a bit iffy at times, but he was a irresistible force in terms of pushing the ball inside 50, and I think we'd have won comfortably without him playing. Obviously recruit of the year.

Last edited:

Ofcourse I'll be blowing the roof with excitement. Doesn't change the fact that it's not the end of the world for me if we don't win it this year. I'm pretty sure had we not won a flag the past 3 years I'd be absolutely devasted and livid. This year? Not so much.

Take it however you want. I'm not a representative of an entire fanbase. This is just how I feel this year. For me, this year has been the most enjoyable year since 08 (which was an absolute thrill ride) and has helped me truly gain an appreciation for the past three years that I probably didn't lap up as well as some of the others.
Completely agree with you there in regards to it not being the end of the world because of the last 3 years. But if you guys do lose again this week, there will still be the pain of getting close and not going the full distance. I sense that a lot of Hawkers (maybe other than yourself) who just won't admit it, and will use the last few flags as a defence mechanism. I can understand that line if you guys had missed finals all together, but when you're in September action, you want to win the damn thing, I don't care if you've won the last 10, the competitive juices start flowing and the emotions start building. Heck, even I was on edge for those last few minutes tonight. It's what this great game does to us all.

Completely agree with you there in regards to it not being the end of the world because of the last 3 years. But if you guys do lose again this week, there will still be the pain of getting close and not going the full distance. I sense that a lot of Hawkers (maybe other than yourself) who just won't admit it, and will use the last few flags as a defence mechanism.

It isn't a defence mechanism, it is a massive security blanket, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I was surprisingly ungutted after tonights loss, and I'm sure having myself wrapped in the warm cosy blanket of a three-peat is part of the reason for that. I was way more gutted when Hawkins slotted his after the siren goal to win a H&A game against us. Spoilt? Probably.

The saltiness of the Cats supporters is evidence enough of how flat the club is at the moment. They got away with it. Just.

There's a certain sense of sour grapes and gnashing of teeth from some of them isn't there? They just won a classic final - could be a little more gracious about it.

You know what? I'd generally let this slide, but I can't. And I'm sorry, but it's not directed at just your response but the general response I seem to hear from all Hawthorn supporters, both on BF and in real life.

You guys speak the biggest load of s**t when you try deflecting like this with the whole, "Ow, but we've won 3 in a row, so it doesn't matter.", because I can promise that if you win the flag again this year, you guys will be blowing the roof off the place with excitement.

Don't give me this crap of 'little expectation' and 'just enjoyment' because a few flags don't just make you content, and make you not care about winning more. Hawthorn supporters wanna win this year's flag just as much as Sydney, Geelong, and the rest of the remaining teams.

I'm sick of the stereotypical responses you guys give as a defence mechanism incase you don't win it.

(Again, not having a dig at you personally)

Yeah but at the same time having won 3 in a row makes it more obvious that the end will come. And makes that end slightly easier to take.

And, of course, how else do you respond to the multitudes revelling in your defeat rather than simply acknowledging a wonderful battle.

To the idiots saying Dangerfield was s**t.

Yeah he wasn't at his best. That doesn't mean his game was garbage. Obvious example: runs onto a handball and a clear shot on goal but inexplicably spills it.

His next play a few seconds later? Absolutely crushes Hodge to tie the ball inside our forward 50.

I find it hard to fathom that people can't delineate between someone being off their best, and being s**t.

Yeah but at the same time having won 3 in a row makes it more obvious that the end will come. And makes that end slightly easier to take.

And, of course, how else do you respond to the multitudes revelling in your defeat rather than simply acknowledging a wonderful battle.
There's plenty of flogs that like to rub it in, and a lot of clubs have that. Try being a Collingwood supporter. But there are some who give it back to some Hawthorn supporters who are just plain arrogant too.

PS: I've said it earlier in this thread, and I'll say it again. Tonight was exactly why we love this game. Was unbelievable for absolutely everyone to watch, including Hawthorn supporters.

Game of the season hands down. Geelong came back strongly after a slow start to the 3rd.

Dangerfield showed us why he's the best player of the comp. Has a player won the MVP/Brownlow/Norm Smith treble

It was a bloody tense game and both sides had their times in the ascendancy (thought the Hawks probably moreso on balance), with a big finish to boot.
Reckon people should just enjoy it for the top spectacle it ended up being.
Don't like the bloke at all, but Lewis would have gone close to BOG, even in a losing side. Guthrie maybe Cats' best?
(Big fan of Menegola and Linc and Whitecross for Hawks. Thought Schoenmakers was solid in his role, too. Cops a fair bit of flak, good on him.)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people like you like to tell me I talk nonsense but I well like to talk nonsense too.

It is called reading between the lines and well that might be twenty lines or one.
I''m not as silly as you want me to believe. Travelling minds work very hard to keep on track. :)
I've still got NFI what you're on about. Seeing you seem incapable of explaining yourself, we'll leave it at that.

people like you like to tell me I talk nonsense but I well like to talk nonsense too.

It is called reading between the lines and well that might be twenty lines or one.
I''m not as silly as you want me to believe. Travelling minds work very hard to keep on track. :)

I also considered hitting the heavy gear to take the edge off the loss.

Why would I be mad? We just come off a threepeat. Anything more than that is chocolates.

I've made it very clear that this is the first time in a long time that I can watch a game with little expectation and just enjoy it for what it is. The pressure is off our mob for the first time in a while and whatever happens happens.

Instead of being a nervous wreck like I would have been the past three years I got to appreciate an absolute classic of a game. Sure it sucks we lost but s**t happens. We still have every chance next week.

So there you go. Have some tears.
Other 3 flags pale in comparison to the all-time record 4-peat. But good idea to mentally prepare yourself for the inevitable, now that a diminished Dawks have lost this one. Hopefully you'll lose next week and be spared any more tension and misery after that.

I can see the Hawks working hard to bully and intimidate our young blokes next week. Watch the niggle, happens every time. We just have to run them off their legs so they can't wrestle

How sad that you think your players can be bullied and intimidated. How old are you? It's not primary school with grade 7s vs grade 5s. It's men vs men playing one of the toughest games in the world at the elite level.
No AFL teams can be bullied so grow up child.

Why would I be mad? We just come off a threepeat. Anything more than that is chocolates.

I've made it very clear that this is the first time in a long time that I can watch a game with little expectation and just enjoy it for what it is. The pressure is off our mob for the first time in a while and whatever happens happens.

Instead of being a nervous wreck like I would have been the past three years I got to appreciate an absolute classic of a game. Sure it sucks we lost but s**t happens. We still have every chance next week.

So there you go. Have some tears.

Bullshit words

You're devastated and that loss really hurts.

Other 3 flags pale in comparison to the all-time record 4-peat. But good idea to mentally prepare yourself for the inevitable, now that a diminished Dawks have lost this one. Hopefully you'll lose next week and be spared any more tension and misery after that.

Get over this 4 in a row s**t. Pies won four in a row back before the Titanic was built. What the Hawks have done has been nothing short of phenomenal. In the current AFL, winning 3 flags with the assistance of cheating umpires and a cheating match review panel who turn a blind eye to everything their sniping players do is just a remarkable achievement.

How sad that you think your players can be bullied and intimidated. How old are you? It's not primary school with grade 7s vs grade 5s. It's men vs men playing one of the toughest games in the world at the elite level.
Wow what a naive person you must be if you don't believe Clarko uses this as a tactic.

Of course they bully as they know the teachers (umpires and MRP) conveniently turn a blind eye to their behaviour.

Back