Roast Gerard Whateley’s Rant on AFL360 (22/08/19)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the way we lost the games we lost that burns. That's something that can only be judged after the fact. Reflecting on the pre-season prediction is kind of pointless because you didn't know at the time that we would lose games that we absolutely should have won had it not been for self sabotage.
So much this. If we had come out every week, giving it our best, winning when we were clearly the better side but sometimes falling short against the best opposition, there wouldn't be nearly as much negativity. And we've been doing the same thing for five years. :mad:

Port Supporters: We've not won a final in 5 years and about to end our fourth season outside the eight. We need a new head coach.
AFL Media: YOU CAN'T DOMINATE THE AFL LIKE THE SNAFL YOUR NOT THE SAME CLUB STAY THE PATH YOUTH STUFF PS HAWKS WANT AMON.

Everyone’s kids are going to be good.

It’s literally the basis of the entire caper.

And we don’t have more of them than anyone else.

I mean Whately is an irrelevant moron and Ken really should part ways at the end of this season, but I have to disagree with this.

AFL's own article (which are usually not exactly pro-Port) had Port in the top 3 teams for players under 23. And it's not just raw talent, we have much of the ground covered with potentially elite players.

Marshall, Rozee, Houston, Howard, DBJ, Pep, Burton, X, Butters, Ladhams, Garner, Drew, Hayes, Farrell.

All other clubs don't have that. Maybe a couple are comparable.

The bigger issue is we * our kids over through poor development and selection, and bad game plans. But if Clarko and the Hawthorn admin had our list you could just about lock them in for multiple flags in coming decade.

I mean Whately is an irrelevant moron and Ken really should part ways at the end of this season, but I have to disagree with this.

AFL's own article (which are usually not exactly pro-Port) had Port in the top 3 teams for players under 23. And it's not just raw talent, we have much of the ground covered with potentially elite players.

Marshall, Rozee, Houston, Howard, DBJ, Pep, Burton, X, Butters, Ladhams, Garner, Drew, Hayes, Farrell.

All other clubs don't have that. Maybe a couple are comparable.

The bigger issue is we fu** our kids over through poor development and selection, and bad game plans. But if Clarko and the Hawthorn admin had our list you could just about lock them in for multiple flags in coming decade.

Brisbane, who are about to play off for top spot tomorrow, have:

Harris Andrews
Daniel McStay
Jarrod Berry
Eric Hipwood
Hugh McCluggage
Alex Witherden
Cam Rayner

Alone. Playing right now. And Neale and Charlie Cameron are 24/25.

Best case scenario, some of those guys you’ve listed might be as good as that one day. While they do it now.

History hurts us, eh Kane. fu** off.
Yep, unbelievable that was. Are we supposed to apologise for our rich and successful history? What a wank!

That was such loser talk from him - to think he's got a national platform to sprout that crap. As they say, the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree... he's definitely his dad's son.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane, who are about to play off for top spot tomorrow, have:

Harris Andrews
Daniel McStay
Jarrod Berry
Eric Hipwood
Hugh McCluggage
Alex Witherden
Cam Rayner

Alone. Playing right now. And Neale and Charlie Cameron are 24/25.

Best case scenario, some of those guys you’ve listed might be as good as that one day. While they do it now.

Yep Brisbane was the other top 3 club, ranked first. For the record Carlton was the other in second. Those are the two young lists (as well as maybe one or two others - Doggies come to mind) I'd say are comparable, and Brisbane's is indeed better (though with a game plan and selection strategy that actually makes sense it's hard to compare apples to apples).

But definitely not all clubs have this, that's my point. Try drawing up a similar list for the Crows for example.

Yep, unbelievable that was. Are we supposed to apologise for our rich and successful history? What a wank!

That was such loser talk from him - to think he's got a national platform to sprout that crap. As they say, the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree... he's definitely his dad's son.

I think he’s completely missed the point.

‘We Exist To Win Premierships’ is a mission statement. Kane seems to think it’s the annual expectation lol.

Yep Brisbane was the other top 3 club, ranked first. For the record Carlton was the other in second. Those are the two young lists (as well as maybe one or two others - Doggies come to mind) I'd say are comparable, and Brisbane's is indeed better (though with a game plan and selection strategy that actually makes sense it's hard to compare apples to apples).

But definitely not all clubs have this, that's my point. Try drawing up a similar list for the Crows for example.

The Crows are obviously bottom of the barrel, but they’d have the same blue sky feelings towards their clutch.

You’ve listed Howard — who I rate highly — but he’s a 23yo who currently can’t get a game in defence ahead of freaking Trent McKenzie.

I think he’s completely missed the point.

‘We Exist To Win Premierships’ is a mission statement. Kane seems to think it’s the annual expectation lol.

I think we should add not excising the Cornes family from our club as another of this administration’s failures.

The Crows are obviously bottom of the barrel, but they’d have the same blue sky feelings towards their clutch.

You’ve listed Howard — who I rate highly — but he’s a 23yo who currently can’t get a game in defence ahead of freaking Trent McKenzie.

That sounds more like a selection problem than a Howard problem

So winning SANFL Grand Finals was easy hey, Kane? Try telling that to your old man.

At the end of the day, we all know why Kane sticks up for Ken. If I was gifted a contract extension, 300th match and granted permanent leave half way throught he season to pursue a career I would ultimately give up less than 12 months later, I too would be in debt to that coach.

I quite like Gerard, usually a fairly sensible and measured commentator.

These comments are surprising, made me really question things, had I missed something obvious?

So Gerard is correct that Ken is rebuilding a list and is on a journey. But the selections throughout the year have been baffling and haven’t reflected a ‘rebuilding’ side. It has also often been our senior players that have let us down. If we still had Chad and Polec, with lots of games into our young brigade, no concerns of SPP leaving and the prospect of phasing out our older players at the end of the year like Broadbent, Westhoff, Rockliff then I could buy this. But it’s just not the case.

Improvement next year is also not guaranteed. How about long term success? Well that relies on the improvement of the young guys to lift the side. So which young guys in the side have developed under Hinkley to show that he can develop this new young core?
Houston, Jonas, Clurey, S.Gray, DBJ and Amon have steadily improved. Westhoff, Polec, Ebert, Boak and Gray have remained consistent across the course.
Dixon, Hartlett, Broadbent, Bonner, Wines, Wingard, Pittard, SPP, Howard, Ryder and Impey (ie a good chunk of our elite talent) have all been indifferent. Watts, Motlop and Rockliff have all shown minimal improvement or have gone backwards since joining. Not sure we can necessarily say Ken is a solid developer either.

Has this year been a pass? Most of us thought we would fit somewhere in the 8-14 part of the ladder and we are right there. But I’m not more reassured now that we will improve, make finals or that we are a good side than I was at the start of the year. There hasn’t been a correction of issues seen at the start of the year. We took Richmond lightly at the start of the year and didn’t learn the lesson so we took North lightly. We still cannot kick goals and have terrible skills. We also tend to show whether we are ready to play or not within 5 minutes of the game starting and don’t seem to be able to correct this.

I quite like Gerard, usually a fairly sensible and measured commentator.

These comments are surprising, made me really question things, had I missed something obvious?

So Gerard is correct that Ken is rebuilding a list and is on a journey. But the selections throughout the year have been baffling and haven’t reflected a ‘rebuilding’ side. It has also often been our senior players that have let us down. If we still had Chad and Polec, with lots of games into our young brigade, no concerns of SPP leaving and the prospect of phasing out our older players at the end of the year like Broadbent, Westhoff, Rockliff then I could buy this. But it’s just not the case.

Improvement next year is also not guaranteed. How about long term success? Well that relies on the improvement of the young guys to lift the side. So which young guys in the side have developed under Hinkley to show that he can develop this new young core?
Houston, Jonas, Clurey, S.Gray, DBJ and Amon have steadily improved. Westhoff, Polec, Ebert, Boak and Gray have remained consistent across the course.
Dixon, Hartlett, Broadbent, Bonner, Wines, Wingard, Pittard, SPP, Howard, Ryder and Impey (ie a good chunk of our elite talent) have all been indifferent. Watts, Motlop and Rockliff have all shown minimal improvement or have gone backwards since joining. Not sure we can necessarily say Ken is a solid developer either.

Has this year been a pass? Most of us thought we would fit somewhere in the 8-14 part of the ladder and we are right there. But I’m not more reassured now that we will improve, make finals or that we are a good side than I was at the start of the year. There hasn’t been a correction of issues seen at the start of the year. We took Richmond lightly at the start of the year and didn’t learn the lesson so we took North lightly. We still cannot kick goals and have terrible skills. We also tend to show whether we are ready to play or not within 5 minutes of the game starting and don’t seem to be able to correct this.

I don’t understand the Chad and Polec chatter. We keep them we don’t have Rozee Dursmaa and Burton
Going forward I will have those 3 any day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back