Roast Gerard Whateley’s Rant on AFL360 (22/08/19)

Remove this Banner Ad

He doubled down today on SEN. Didn't catch all of it but I heard Derm and Kane putting this boards point of view across.. but the nerdling is pretty set in his ways. Can only assume Ken is a mate of his.
Whately’s a Geelong fan and largely for reasons of our making they think Port only exists to let Geelongies thrive

The conflation of expecting Port to be performing better than it has against its talent and resources over the past 5 seasons with the minority delusion that Port should win a flag every other year as it did in the SANFL is the most ridiculous part of all this.

Brisbane sacked Leppitsch. (Fagan)
Hawthorn sacked Schwab. (Clarkson)
Fremantle sacked Harvey. (Lyon)
Richmond sacked Wallace. (Hardwick)
Western Bulldogs sacked McCartney. (Beveridge)

Did all those fanbases believe they should be dominating the league, or is it just us?

People need to hear what Kane said about the successful sanfl team and their unrealistic expectations in an 18 team national competition and how the mantra is everywhere you go in the club and it is responsible for hurting the club.(my no doubt not entirely correct summary)

You'll hear this and you will never want him around the club again.

Anyone want a free book before I put it in the bin?

Personally I'm going to revisit Kane kornes take on the whole Primus thing

My opinion on SPP has changed recently.

A younger colleague of mine is in his social network and doesn’t have much good to say about him. If the events of the past few years haven’t jolted him into better behaviour, then nothing will.

Trade him now while he has value. I doubt he’ll be on an AFL list in a few years.

Comes across as a flog and the incidents haven't helped him. His form has gone backwards since his debut season.

Kane is saying the old school unrealistic idea of winning premierships is hurting the club.
This bit is interesting. Cahill used to say we expect to win premierships. This was mind games backed by some serious talent and of course intent and will to win. The players began believing and the opposition began to believe it too. It was like our 13-14 we'll outrun and finish over the top of everyone. Kane don't make it about we just expected to rock up in September and win. That sells what we did and what our supporters expect now, short. But we're definitely expecting more than 1 losing elimination final in 5 years. We're definitely expecting more than no top four finish in 7 years with the available talent. And yes with our history we're definitely expecting more than Ken has delivered under his watch. Imagine if we had the current line of thinking when we entered that first showdown?

So i guess David King didn't agree with Gerard's assessment. I know Paul Roos doesn't but none of them keen to really pour pressure on.
He sat there a long time before he unloaded back. He should be thanked

This is clearly personal to gerard who is no longer objective, and so king put a bit at risk there. Would have been very easy to say nothing and move to the next segment

In my perfect Port Adelaide world where we have a new CEO and Chairman in place, Kane, Rucci, Gerard and the like would have zero intimate access and inside word.

People need to hear what Kane said about the successful sanfl team and their unrealistic expectations in an 18 team national competition and how the mantra is everywhere you go in the club and it is responsible for hurting the club.(my no doubt not entirely correct summary)

You mean what drove us to want to play in the best competition and was responsible for our early success.

Kane letting out some of his genlg guilt and childhoid pain me thinks.

Fair dinkum every single player administrator and supporter that thinks like that can faaark off out of my club. Given our systemic disadvantages it is the one thing that if adhered too that will breed success.

Imagine a team that embraces expectation, lives for the fight and truly making their community proud rather than the result does not matter don't listen to external noise blah blah blah

Disagree with me fine enjoy your mid table southern power ride cos if you win I will be out of here.

oh dear, i don't really want to lose him (if we lost him it wouldn't hurt me too much) but seriously if he goes there with his off field traits he may not be seen again.

it would be great dealing with GC for port but terrible for the guy long term.
I think he has the potential to be a very good player his disposal is more savable than Wines for instance, I'm over it all though if he is a lost cause off field **** him off now before he has no value.

Loose on the GC oh dear lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Browne reporting today the Port board is ‘wavering’ and may turf Ken if you don’t make finals, also apparently SPP is on the trade table (Bizarre decision imo).
SPP is all puff and grunt, Port should break their mould and trade for blokes who have skill and talent and a will to win. A Clarkson knows how to bleed Port for their talent.

You mean what drove us to want to play in the best competition and was responsible for our early success.

Kane letting out some of his genlg guilt and childhoid pain me thinks.

Fair dinkum every single player administrator and supporter that thinks like that can faaark off out of my club. Given our systemic disadvantages it is the one thing that if adhered too that will breed success.

Imagine a team that embraces expectation, lives for the fight and truly making their community proud rather than the result does not matter don't listen to external noise blah blah blah

Disagree with me fine enjoy your mid table southern power ride cos if you win I will be out of here.
Yeah but it's a tough competition. You can't win every game.

I mean someone's got to lose right?

Anyone want a free book before I put it in the bin?

Personally I'm going to revisit Kane kornes take on the whole Primus thing

It’s almost as if a member of South Australian St Kilda’s royal family doesn’t get it.

Statistically in an 18 comp you should make top 4 every 4-5 years

What are we up to now?

But apparently that's too much to expect for us to meet the statistical average
Playing finals regularly, making a GF every 3-4 years, and winning a premiership on average every 6-8 years is what we should be aspiring to.

Hawthorn have averaged a premiership every 4 years since 1971. If you just count the AFL era, it's every 7 years. If they can do it as a "middle power" Vic club, it's possible.

It’s almost as if a member of South Australian St Kilda’s royal family doesn’t get it.

"Just sit back, take your generous paycheck and wait for the law of averages to provide you your premiership, or not."

I must have missed the memo, but when did having high expectations become a bad thing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back