Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are peoples thoughts on Motlop?

Restricted FA and after re-signing Cockatoo and Parfit plus maybe looking at GA Jrn coming back with the Cats go hard to retain him or happy to get a compo pick?

Could land a 2nd rounder as a min maybe an end of first rounder depending on his contract.
I'd like him to remain at Geelong. Won't get the significant offers to force him to leave. Worth more to Geelong here.

Restricted FA and after re-signing Cockatoo and Parfit plus maybe looking at GA Jrn coming back with the Cats go hard to retain him or happy to get a compo pick?

Could land a 2nd rounder as a min maybe an end of first rounder depending on his contract.
Personally, I think he is gone, think he might have had a deal done for a year now to leave.
Don't have any info to back this feeling up, just something that something might have been in place for Steven to leave for awhile now

Watched a bit of the Vic Metro v Country game today - there are some decent kids running around in what I thought appeared to be a pretty high standard game. Players that I noted were Constable, Garner, Fogarty, Cerra, Rayner and Higgins from Vic Metro and Hunter Clark, Paton, Clavarino, O'Brien, Ling and Dow from Country.

Really liked O'Brien's kicking and play making from defence as a small defender. Paton is tough and disciplined as a mid sized defender and appeals too.

At the top end I can see why Rayner and Cerra are so highly rated. Absolute guns. Constable was particularly impressive today - lovely kicking skills and racked up a heap of the footy. Garner was excellent too - tough and highly skilled - he'll be a top 10 pick I'd say for sure.

I'm not convinced that Worpel will transfer his game to AFL level - he's a huge kid that can bully the undersized kids at this level but may lack the tricks at the next level up.

Not sure what names we'll get to choose from come draft time but I think there's some decent talent in the top 25-30 this year so we should have access to a decent kid with our first.

Last edited:

I'd like him to remain at Geelong. Won't get the significant offers to force him to leave. Worth more to Geelong here.
Think a big reason for his stock drops is the fact he doesn't have any involvement in applying intense tackling pressure or quality work in tight congestion or one on one.

You look at all the other best smalls such as Rioli Puopolo betts. They all are immensely good one out in a contested situations forward half.Motlop isn't dangerous at all in contests one out or at applying pressure.

He is half the package with his outside glitter and confetti show that he puts on here and there. What he lacks is the other half which is required to be a consistent dangerous threat week in week out and have massive impact.

In a way I think his down form this year makes it more likely he will stay because it means other clubs won't offer him a 4-5 year deal on huge money (as that we wouldn't have matched as it would have meant first round compo).

Look it will be an interesting case, I think it's clear with Motlop that both the players and the coaches want him to stay but they wanted that with Caddy too and it didn't count for much. As we saw there Wells is pretty ruthless and if he thinks he can get better value out of Motlop's salary and the compo pick elsewhere (like how he got Tuohy out of Caddy's salary and Parfitt from the pick) he will offer him low enough $ to make him move.

What I am certain of is that because Wells has aggresively targeted 24-27 year olds the last 3 years because of our flag window, he won't let Motlop go to replace him with an 18yo. The other aspect is while our small/med fwd depth looks ok on paper when you drill down not so much: Menzel is one serious injury off retirement, Murdoch inconsistent, Cockatoo McCarthy and Gregson are all good but injury prone, Parfitt and Parsons are still relative kids. What that means is Motlop won't go unless we have a high end small/med fwd coming in to replace him with the money and pick. So for e.g if we can get Smith with Motlop's salary or Ablett and another player he may well go, but otherwise he won't.

As a side point this shows the idiocy of compensation picks for FA being tied to ladder position-it's ridiculous that Casboult and Motlop could move clubs on about the same contract (which I would expect to be worth band 3) and Carlton would get pick 22-23 as compo (like Freo did with Mayne) and we would get pick 35-36 (as you guys did with Scooter). When a player like Motlop is worth a pick in the 20s (which I think he is) and Casboult is worth a lot less they should be able to design a formula to produce the right result. Linking it to ladder position just results in idiocy like pick 19 for Franklin.

He'll get $500-$600k at Geelong. Is anyone going to pay him the $750-$800k that could lure him away? Wouldn't think so given current form.

I agree but that doesn't mean he will necessarily stay. At the end of the day if Wells thinks he can get better value out of Motlop's salary elsewhere he will target a quality player with that money and get him to agree to come, and then turn around and offer Steve say 300-400k as a lowball to get him to go and get the compo pick (no matter how much Steve wants to stay if the club did that he would go).

All Motlop's down form really guarantees is that no one will make him an offer so high that we can't match it, doesn't mean we won't necessarily move him.

If and it's a mighty big if, he was to receive that glory offer from another club that allowed us to receive a end of first rounder as compo you'd have to consider it being a better scenario than keeping him. I doubt very much that it will happen but after watching today's U18 Champ game I hope it occurs.

If and it's a mighty big if, he was to receive that glory offer from another club that allowed us to receive a end of first rounder as compo you'd have to consider it being a better scenario than keeping him. I doubt very much that it will happen but after watching today's U18 Champ game I hope it occurs.

At the end of the day because we are likely to finish high on the ladder there's not much difference in the bands, band 1 (first round) would be pick 15-16 (like the pick we traded for Henderson) band 2 (end first round) would be 19-20 and band 3 (second round) would be pick 35-36. Any decision to move Motlop would be based less on the compo pick and more what we were doing with the cap freed up, if we have a guarantee that it would bring in an A grader in a position of need (like we did with Tuohy last year) then it's worth considering, otherwise I probably think it's better to keep Motlop even though his inconsistency frustrates me.

No, it doesn't. That's one potential solution of many. Another solution is to trade players for picks. IMO you don't go to the trade table for speculative players, that's for the draft. You go to the trade table for established players. If we're looking at blokes that have been playing state league all year then I'd rather we rookie or preseason draft someone like Jonny Scharenberg (Glenelg) then give away a pick in a strong draft for a battler like Morgan or Doedee.

Using only that approach we would not have seen in Geelong jumpers the likes of GAblett, Gwilliams , TMcGrath , BSanderson ... I'm saying that we don't exclude one particular avenue to finding.
I cant comment on Morgans or Doedees recent form ..but I will say many a kid is drafted on form against other u18 kids..meanwhile form in VFL and other state comps downgrade players.. surely the recent players we have drafted in from our VFL system shows that they are not just list cloggers , just because they are playing the lower level.
Its a balance ... Obviously Danger, Henderson , 2E all backup what you are saying but trade or not trade for a know player and pay thru the teeth for a poor performer and its probably a worse approach.. look at what the Pies have paid for Mayne. Now thats a list clogger and a cap clogger.

At the end of the day because we are likely to finish high on the ladder there's not much difference in the bands, band 1 (first round) would be pick 15-16 (like the pick we traded for Henderson) band 2 (end first round) would be 19-20 and band 3 (second round) would be pick 35-36. Any decision to move Motlop would be based less on the compo pick and more what we were doing with the cap freed up, if we have a guarantee that it would bring in an A grader in a position of need (like we did with Tuohy last year) then it's worth considering, otherwise I probably think it's better to keep Motlop even though his inconsistency frustrates me.

What type of offer would he need to receive P_O for us to receive band 2 compo? You'd likely have a combo of nice salary cap relief and pick up a very good kid. I've been a fan of Motlop for a long time but even I would look twice at an offer like that if it was presented.

What type of offer would he need to receive P_O for us to receive band 2 compo? You'd likely have a combo of nice salary cap relief and pick up a very good kid. I've been a fan of Motlop for a long time but even I would look twice at an offer like that if it was presented.

We don't know because no one has ever been given band 2 yet and also the new CBA might change the calcs for what salary fits into band 1 2 3 etc.

But if you look at most of the band 3's:
Mayne 4 year 500kpa
Scooter 4 years 400-450
Vickery 3 years 500kpa
Higgins 3 years 450-500kpa
Suckling 3 years 450kpa
etc

So to get band 2 (pick 19) my guess is under the old CBA you would have been looking at at least 4 years not 3 and 600kpa as the salary figure. Under the new CBA I have no idea.

He looks like the classic type that would draw an over payment when we could get a kid to do a similar task...but I thought with 2e as well.

Tuohy was always a gun in a poor side, Impey I don't rate as high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few side would fit him down to the ground... as long a side has its eyes wide open and know what they are getting...

Fair bit of talent for a dodgy year .... and a few Falcons as well...

Tuohy was always a gun in a poor side, Impey I don't rate as high.

He is playing better in our side..or looks better.... but im still of the opinion that you have to take care brining in guys who basically are only doing what you could get cheaper in the draft... As it has turned 2e was clever recruitment... , especially after the 2 in 4 clarification. If I had a choice Impey or P18.., I'd take P18

Last edited:
I do. He's 10 times better then at least 5 players in our current side and he's just the type of player we need.

Just make sure we draft Liam Ryan. Should have rookied him last year.

Kicked 40 goals in 16 games last year and has snagged 39 goals in 12 games so far at Subiaco in the WAFL. No way near AFL fitness levels last year but you really should back your fitness staff in ro get him right. High flying small forward with pace to burn.

In a way I think his down form this year makes it more likely he will stay because it means other clubs won't offer him a 4-5 year deal on huge money (as that we wouldn't have matched as it would have meant first round compo).

Look it will be an interesting case, I think it's clear with Motlop that both the players and the coaches want him to stay but they wanted that with Caddy too and it didn't count for much. As we saw there Wells is pretty ruthless and if he thinks he can get better value out of Motlop's salary and the compo pick elsewhere (like how he got Tuohy out of Caddy's salary and Parfitt from the pick) he will offer him low enough $ to make him move.

What I am certain of is that because Wells has aggresively targeted 24-27 year olds the last 3 years because of our flag window, he won't let Motlop go to replace him with an 18yo. The other aspect is while our small/med fwd depth looks ok on paper when you drill down not so much: Menzel is one serious injury off retirement, Murdoch inconsistent, Cockatoo McCarthy and Gregson are all good but injury prone, Parfitt and Parsons are still relative kids. What that means is Motlop won't go unless we have a high end small/med fwd coming in to replace him with the money and pick. So for e.g if we can get Smith with Motlop's salary or Ablett and another player he may well go, but otherwise he won't.

As a side point this shows the idiocy of compensation picks for FA being tied to ladder position-it's ridiculous that Casboult and Motlop could move clubs on about the same contract (which I would expect to be worth band 3) and Carlton would get pick 22-23 as compo (like Freo did with Mayne) and we would get pick 35-36 (as you guys did with Scooter). When a player like Motlop is worth a pick in the 20s (which I think he is) and Casboult is worth a lot less they should be able to design a formula to produce the right result. Linking it to ladder position just results in idiocy like pick 19 for Franklin.

I agree but that doesn't mean he will necessarily stay. At the end of the day if Wells thinks he can get better value out of Motlop's salary elsewhere he will target a quality player with that money and get him to agree to come, and then turn around and offer Steve say 300-400k as a lowball to get him to go and get the compo pick (no matter how much Steve wants to stay if the club did that he would go).

All Motlop's down form really guarantees is that no one will make him an offer so high that we can't match it, doesn't mean we won't necessarily move him.
"Necessarily" isn't all that helpful here.

1. Doesn't want to go
2. Will get as good coin at Geelong as anywhere else
3. Geelong has a dearth of his type so won't be quick to move him
4. Won't get a first rounder for him (which was the goal in shopping him end 2016)
5. People have speculated he'd go EVERY contract renewal since he arrived, badly misreading the situation every time.

Kicked 40 goals in 16 games last year and has snagged 39 goals in 12 games so far at Subiaco in the WAFL. No way near AFL fitness levels last year but you really should back your fitness staff in ro get him right. High flying small forward with pace to burn.
Is he the indigenous small forward I heard about?

My thoughts as well. And that was just the two teams on display. Though it does sound like the vast majority of the high picks will be used on players from this game.

A lot of them are not play now but there was talent in the SA V Allies side game as well. Both Vic sides have a good group of mids.. the best forwards seem to be VM ..but most of the Falcons are players id be happy enough to have on our list..guys that have not had much air play like Miers and Ling.
The kid Miers looked like he could make up for missing on Dahlhaus. Walsh will be very early next year id say , but there will be a lot of very good kids next year... we must not trade 2018 out.

Using only that approach we would not have seen in Geelong jumpers the likes of GAblett, Gwilliams , TMcGrath , BSanderson ... I'm saying that we don't exclude one particular avenue to finding.
I cant comment on Morgans or Doedees recent form ..but I will say many a kid is drafted on form against other u18 kids..meanwhile form in VFL and other state comps downgrade players.. surely the recent players we have drafted in from our VFL system shows that they are not just list cloggers , just because they are playing the lower level.
Its a balance ... Obviously Danger, Henderson , 2E all backup what you are saying but trade or not trade for a know player and pay thru the teeth for a poor performer and its probably a worse approach.. look at what the Pies have paid for Mayne. Now thats a list clogger and a cap clogger.

Not sure if you read my post because paragraphs 2 & 3 here reinforce exactly what I said.

Im not sure who made the observation recently but it rings true... sometimes it seems we draft less on talent and more on fitness and running ability.

Looking for good drivers in heavy traffic, not boozed ones after pool parties. Stick with the no d*ckheads policy that continues to deliver a strong club culture and steer clear of Impey (better than he steered around gus monfries ' audi at least).

Looking for good drivers in heavy traffic, not boozed ones after pool parties. Stick with the no d*ckheads policy that continues to deliver a strong club culture and steer clear of Impey (better than he steered around gus monfries ' audi at least).

Technically our captain was caught speeding during the pre-season so... He's obviously not a d*ckhead but I'm just saying, everyone makes mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back