Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon someone like Gaff would compliment our team very well... However, we wouldn't have the cap for him.

Duncan has one of the wings, whilst the other will be fought between - Kelly, Guthrie, Parfitt, Parsons, Murdoch, Thurlow it seems.
Gaff would, agreed. However, once hawk is done we'll have noone to dominate up fwd. Need a tall kpf imo.
Move the earth for lynch.

Don't have the cap for Lynch. And I cannot see any retirements at the end of 2018.

I think Lynch should sign for another two at the GC...and drain the SC swamp for as much as he can get , then in two years sign purely for football for whoever as a UFA on good money at a Premiership type side. I think he could end up with somewhere between 3 and 4 if he stays another two years up there ... the afl have already said they will chip in promotion money.

If say he wants out now ... it could be quite difficult to get a deal done . GC will be recalcitrant.

I agree he will not be at Geelong but he is the type that we do need more than another mid. It would take a Franklin type deal to do it. 9 years... no thanks.

Gaff would, agreed. However, once hawk is done we'll have noone to dominate up fwd. Need a tall kpf imo.
Move the earth for lynch.

We can accommodate gaff cap wise but lynch is another would be 1.2 mil a year plus doubt we can fit that in.

We need a cheaper good mature kpf though.

Tell me who our dominant KPF was in 2007-2010.
Take it easy Boris332. Mooney and Pods were pretty fine. I don't think we have the likes of that right now. Buzza potentially could become a good second KPD. We need a replacement for Hawk once he finishes and should start now is my point. I think if the team did what they did in that period and gave up 5% of their salary, Lynch could be accommodated

We can accommodate gaff cap wise but lynch is another would be 1.2 mil a year plus doubt we can fit that in.

We need a cheaper good mature kpf though.
We going to use that spare 34 dollars on Gaff? Or have we done some serious front loading.

Take it easy Boris332. Mooney and Pods were pretty fine. I don't think we have the likes of that right now. Buzza potentially could become a good second KPD. We need a replacement for Hawk once he finishes and should start now is my point. I think if the team did what they did in that period and gave up 5% of their salary, Lynch could be accommodated

The point I was making that in the period up to 2011 we had a huge spread of goal kickers. Have a dominant power forward is overrated and makes us predictable going forward.

I think if we had hawk, lynch, danger kelly menz cocky crameri mccarthy gregson fogarty ablett selwood menegola parfitt as options going forward it wouldnt be too shabby or predictable.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/03/06/victorian-club-offering-star-eagle-dusty-type-money/

Early in the year to be think our drafting /recruitment but looking at the money thats being mentioned for Lynch and now McGovern .... I think its going to be difficult for us to get into calculations for any young gun KPP.

Unless some UFA comes out and say I want Geelong and will come for peanuts but id say not many gun players will be like Danger and come here on unders ... This puts a bit more on development of our own KPP especially KPF. but there is no doubt that putting time and effort into a player or players with the most potential means it would be ideal to get a very early pick. Again...not likely to happen unless we really trade in a unusually business like way.

So in a year like 2018 where there will be a lot more KP talent in the draft do we try to pick up another player with the earliest pick we can get hold of. Plenty of discussion after Savs JLT debut , Buzza has played enough now to have formed opinions ...House has not been seen and unless that changes may well be under pressure at years end ... and with the clock starting to tick on TomH ... I think we are getting very close to the stage of needing more than just a couple of long shot hopes on the list. Basically it means to me , this year is a big year for Buzza and Sav. They probably will not get a heap of AFL games to show their worth but they must be convincing that they are on track.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/03/06/victorian-club-offering-star-eagle-dusty-type-money/

Early in the year to be think our drafting /recruitment but looking at the money thats being mentioned for Lynch and now McGovern .... I think its going to be difficult for us to get into calculations for any young gun KPP.

Unless some UFA comes out and say I want Geelong and will come for peanuts but id say not many gun players will be like Danger and come here on unders ... This puts a bit more on development of our own KPP especially KPF. but there is no doubt that putting time and effort into a player or players with the most potential means it would be ideal to get a very early pick. Again...not likely to happen unless we really trade in a unusually business like way.

So in a year like 2018 where there will be a lot more KP talent in the draft do we try to pick up another player with the earliest pick we can get hold of. Plenty of discussion after Savs JLT debut , Buzza has played enough now to have formed opinions ...House has not been seen and unless that changes may well be under pressure at years end ... and with the clock starting to tick on TomH ... I think we are getting very close to the stage of needing more than just a couple of long shot hopes on the list. Basically it means to me , this year is a big year for Buzza and Sav. They probably will not get a heap of AFL games to show their worth but they must be convincing that they are on track.

Crameri and Hawkins are both 29 with at least three years left in them and Menzel is only 27 (?). No need to worry at this stage, I’m sure the club has a succession plan, especially with free agency now.

There was also an article last week where Brian Cook said we had something like $32 left in the cap last year. That's it!!

So I wouldn't be thinking that we will be adding too many free agents unless they're happy with minimum chips.

Hoping a few of the future father son prospects have a bit more height than this years group.

Crameri and Hawkins are both 29 with at least three years left in them and Menzel is only 27 (?). No need to worry at this stage, I’m sure the club has a succession plan, especially with free agency now.
Big forwards have a long lead time. Hawkins may have 3 years of a contract..doesn't mean he will be good for 3 . Crameri is a third club journey man who may or may not be good ..Menzel is a player with a question mark over him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This could be the difference from the swans making top 2 to now top 6
Massive out for them, especially with Sinclair’s suspect ankle and no TippetView attachment 467028

and "In-season List maintenance" becomes an issue again.. whether trade or draft or short term contract ... I suspect Swans right now would love to be able to bring in another ruck option. And in a year with a big draft coming... there would be several sides that would trade a ruckman to them for their draft picks. Look at Gold Coast ... would you keep a player like Nicholls who may struggle for games if Swans offered their R1? Perhaps there is is some tall in the lesser leagues just on the verge of being picked they would like add ..etc.

and "In-season List maintenance" becomes an issue again.. whether trade or draft or short term contract ... I suspect Swans right now would love to be able to bring in another ruck option. And in a year with a big draft coming... there would be several sides that would trade a ruckman to them for their draft picks. Look at Gold Coast ... would you keep a player like Nicholls who may struggle for games if Swans offered their R1? Perhaps there is is some tall in the lesser leagues just on the verge of being picked they would like add ..etc.

All great points that are hard to argue against.

I still dont like it - maybe its a legacy thing, maybe its an anti USA sports thing...

Just dont like it.

Go Catters

There was also an article last week where Brian Cook said we had something like $32 left in the cap last year. That's it!!

So I wouldn't be thinking that we will be adding too many free agents unless they're happy with minimum chips.

Hoping a few of the future father son prospects have a bit more height than this years group.
Just a thought - but wouldn't any smart club see that they have space in their cap in any given year and readjust contracts so that it gets filled - thus freeing up money for later years.

This could be the difference from the swans making top 2 to now top 6
Massive out for them, especially with Sinclair’s suspect ankle and no TippetView attachment 467028

I think Darcy Cameron might surprise. He was a mature aged recruit and is 22/23 now. He was good in the NEAFL last year before going down with a shoulder.

All great points that are hard to argue against.

I still dont like it - maybe its a legacy thing, maybe its an anti USA sports thing...

Just dont like it.

Go Catters

I understand and value your opinion and your experience in the US is something that should be listened to.... and just recently I had a bbq discussion with someone where he was such an advocate based on whats happened at LeBrons team ..where as I said id hate to see clubs try to do such big list changes mid season ... It would eat at the fabric our of what our game is about.

Basically I look back and say its not so much purely american when the VFL had it in the past , as I have previously mentioned .. Donohue Scarlett scenario ..team mates one week , direct opponents the next ... guys like Whale Roberts getting a lot of Brownlow votes with two clubs in the one year... its all been done in the past ... so some system ...with checks and balances could be introduced that could allow clubs the ability to trade to all participants advantage ..and it doesnt have to be as ugly as sin.. and obviously if a club doesn't like it , do not do it.

Another example where it might have been beneficial ..After GA missed on the trade last year . id have thought that Gold Coast would have gotten a far better deal if we were tempted with a player that may have helped us with only 8-10 weeks to go before finals , It may help stop the on going media driven carfuffle about impending trades.

Id didn't take long ...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/7ca9ba63eeca9b95bbcbc113dc74d644

AFL considers introducing mid-season trade period
THE AFL is considering introducing a radical mid-season trade period or draft — possibly as early as this year — with chief executive Gillon McLachlan expressing strong support for greater player movement across the competition....

41258c163a96b021977f6af5c0e89843

North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein battles with Brodie Grundy.

Asked if it could be turned around quickly enough for a mid-year trade period for June or July this year, Hocking said: “I’m open on this.”

A mid-season trade window could allow Sydney, which today lost ruckman Sam Naismith to a knee injury, to make a play for a big man like Kangaroo Todd Goldstein to help in a premiership push.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/7ca9ba63eeca9b95bbcbc113dc74d644

I think Lynch should sign for another two at the GC...and drain the SC swamp for as much as he can get , then in two years sign purely for football for whoever as a UFA on good money at a Premiership type side. I think he could end up with somewhere between 3 and 4 if he stays another two years up there ... the afl have already said they will chip in promotion money.

If say he wants out now ... it could be quite difficult to get a deal done . GC will be recalcitrant.

I agree he will not be at Geelong but he is the type that we do need more than another mid. It would take a Franklin type deal to do it. 9 years... no thanks.

This is supposed to be top line draft for key forwards. If we are desperate for a key forward I would rather us move up in the draft somehow by getting creative. It would cost us a lot less than lynch and return us a longer term player.

If it needs to be a trade, what currency do we possibly have to offer gc that they would actually want that we would be willing to give up????

We would have to give up Mitch Duncan + probably more.

I would rather aim for a key forward in the draft that we rate instead of selling the farm for lynch.

Id didn't take long ...

AFL considers introducing mid-season trade period
THE AFL is considering introducing a radical mid-season trade period or draft — possibly as early as this year — with chief executive Gillon McLachlan expressing strong support for greater player movement across the competition....

41258c163a96b021977f6af5c0e89843

North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein battles with Brodie Grundy.

Asked if it could be turned around quickly enough for a mid-year trade period for June or July this year, Hocking said: “I’m open on this.”

A mid-season trade window could allow Sydney, which today lost ruckman Sam Naismith to a knee injury, to make a play for a big man like Kangaroo Todd Goldstein to help in a premiership push.

When I see this, I can’t help but think that in 2013 we probably would have won the premiership with a mid season trade period.

I understand and value your opinion and your experience in the US is something that should be listened to.... and just recently I had a bbq discussion with someone where he was such an advocate based on whats happened at LeBrons team ..where as I said id hate to see clubs try to do such big list changes mid season ... It would eat at the fabric our of what our game is about.

Basically I look back and say its not so much purely american when the VFL had it in the past , as I have previously mentioned .. Donohue Scarlett scenario ..team mates one week , direct opponents the next ... guys like Whale Roberts getting a lot of Brownlow votes with two clubs in the one year... its all been done in the past ... so some system ...with checks and balances could be introduced that could allow clubs the ability to trade to all participants advantage ..and it doesnt have to be as ugly as sin.. and obviously if a club doesn't like it , do not do it.

Another example where it might have been beneficial ..After GA missed on the trade last year . id have thought that Gold Coast would have gotten a far better deal if we were tempted with a player that may have helped us with only 8-10 weeks to go before finals , It may help stop the on going media driven carfuffle about impending trades.

Im just not sold on it. Im just old and stuck in my ways. Fully admit that.

The concept of Joel playing Rd11 for us and rd13 for Hawks just tips me over the edge. I get the players want movement and money flexibility. I get that in 13 we could have made the GF with a real #1 ruck on our list - but to me its just changing the nature of the game now so much that certain 1%ers that make up the game are being eroded and the game itself - the things that make it great - are being eroded wth it.

In isolation, a change here and there is progress - its development - but the sum of all changes are getting OTT.

Again, I like Test Cricket but I get T 20. I like player being one club player but understand FA and the getting paid. I like the standard footy jumper but respect the diversity on the game for the different ones.

Im just not seeing this as one we need.

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back