Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem with losing Kelly is I'm not too sure there are many out there who could fill the same role.
He's a pretty unique player, an elite clearance player whose explosive outside and uses the ball by foot very well AND with penetration?
There aren't many out there, certainly even less that are getable.

Langdon is probably gettable albeit he is not the same quality as TK but he'd be best 22 here still.
Parish might be gettable Steven probably is depending on what sort of pick they want.
Id love to target one of the younger GWS mids if we can.
But yeah a lot of those are inside or outside TK is rare in that he does both so we're unlikely to be able to replace him with the same calibre of player.

Langdon is probably gettable albeit he is not the same quality as TK but he'd be best 22 here still.
Parish might be gettable Steven probably is depending on what sort of pick they want.
Id love to target one of the younger GWS mids if we can.
But yeah a lot of those are inside or outside TK is rare in that he does both so we're unlikely to be able to replace him with the same calibre of player.
What makes you think Langdon would be best 22 at Geelong? I strongly disagree.

If we lose Kelly there's not one player at Freo or West Coast I want. Cerra, Darcy, Petruccelle, Brander, Venables, just some of the names mentioned, are horrid.
I think you're underselling some of them - Cerra in particular. His debut season has been very good for an 18yo, he'll be at least a 250-game player, the question is just how good he may well be.

We have the same issue as last year, though - both clubs will finish high, their picks will not be great.

I think you're underselling some of them - Cerra in particular. His debut season has been very good for an 18yo, he'll be at least a 250-game player, the question is just how good he may well be.

We have the same issue as last year, though - both clubs will finish high, their picks will not be great.
Good. Hopefully it's at Freo and nowhere near Geelong. Win/win.

What makes you think Langdon would be best 22 at Geelong? I strongly disagree.

Because our current wing options are Clark (will be good but still very green) Parsons (gulp) Cunico (delist) and maybe OConnor if we re-shuffle the backline its not inspiring. Duncan is the only other real option there but we like to use him elsewhere and in any case you need 2 good wingers especially at the MCG. Langdon will never be elite as he cant break games open on his own how TK does but he averages 25 touches and good metres gained most weeks. He'd easily be a walk up start for us on a wing next year IMO.

Langdon will never be elite as he cant break games open .
That's the point I'm trying to make. It's a waste of time bringing in a slightly better version of Jordan Murdoch when we can hit the draft instead.

I'd rather two high draft picks than say a high draft pick and Langdon.

Langdon is no better than Cunico or Narkle who we already have. The only difference being that Fremantle have had the opportunity to play Langdon whereas Geelong have a strong team that's forced guys like Cunico and Narkle to bide their time for longer. There's also the injury factor. Both have more talent than Landgon and better game sense.

Agree. Long-term, Clark will be streets ahead of Menegola. For now though, Menegola has him pegged. That could definitely change by season's end though
Menegola continues to be underrated by his own family. It's shake your head stuff.

Menegola is in the top 10 players at our club. Champion data ranked him as the best forward in the game last year ... this year he's coming off a hindered pre-season due to injury and it's effected his ability to cover the ground. Clark isn't in the same stratosphere.

From one of my trusted sources, I'm hearing that Cogs wants to go to Hawthorn to improve on his pinching game. Wants to learn from the best (he had hoped to have been drafted by Freo but they just missed him).

That's the point I'm trying to make. It's a waste of time bringing in a slightly better version of Jordan Murdoch when we can hit the draft instead.

I'd rather two high draft picks than say a high draft pick and Langdon.

Langdon is no better than Cunico or Narkle who we already have. The only difference being that Fremantle have had the opportunity to play Langdon whereas Geelong have a strong team that's forced guys like Cunico and Narkle to bide their time for longer. There's also the injury factor. Both have more talent than Landgon and better game sense.

No its not because elite players are rare the league has few of them. You cant just replace TK with the same standard. If thats your standard you might be waiting 20 years. Sure a R1 draft pick could be elite but it could easily be a bust see Smedts Thurlow Lang Mitch Brown Cockatoo even Clark looks good but half the time averages 6 touches a game. People far overvalue draft picks around here.

Langdon is miles better than Cunico who will probably get delisted and Narkle who had shown nowhere near as much and is more injury prone. I like your posts but I cant agree on this one they are both way below Langdon currently. Langdon is a decent B-B+ grader every side needs them and Richmond and WCE won flags with sides full of them. A club in a flag window like us is often better paying for proven afl standard players who might have a lower ceiling but much lower bust potential and shorter time horizon than gambling on the draft does.

You cant replace TK with the same quality either way it doesnt just happen. If we get 2 solid B grade 150 gamers out of the trade we have done as well as we realistically can and Langdon would be one of those IMO plus plays a position we are light on for.

Menegola continues to be underrated by his own family. It's shake your head stuff.

Menegola is in the top 10 players at our club. Champion data ranked him as the best forward in the game last year ... this year he's coming off a hindered pre-season due to injury and it's effected his ability to cover the ground. Clark isn't in the same stratosphere.

Right now he isn't, I agree. Clark is still very raw though, and looks to have the capacity to be an absolute game breaker after a few seasons. Big difference in age, experience, body size etc.

Menegola is underrated though, I agree with that too. Wouldn't put him in the top 10, given that I'd have Hawkins, Duncan, Kelly, Ablett, Stewart, Selwood, Blics, Stanley, Danger, Taylor, all ahead of him right now. That's a pretty decorated list to push in front of. Top 15 maybe, but not top 10.

Champion Data also has TK not in its AA team, so take of that what you will. I think CD is an absolute joke personally

No its not because elite players are rare the league has few of them. You cant just replace TK with the same standard. If thats your standard you might be waiting 20 years. Sure a R1 draft pick could be elite but it could easily be a bust see Smedts Thurlow Lang Mitch Brown Cockatoo even Clark looks good but half the time averages 6 touches a game. People far overvalue draft picks around here.

Langdon is miles better than Cunico who will probably get delisted and Narkle who had shown nowhere near as much and is more injury prone. I like your posts but I cant agree on this one they are both way below Langdon currently. Langdon is a decent B-B+ grader every side needs them and Richmond and WCE won flags with sides full of them. A club in a flag window like us is often better paying for proven afl standard players who might have a lower ceiling but much lower bust potential and shorter time horizon than gambling on the draft does.

You cant replace TK with the same quality either way it doesnt just happen. If we get 2 solid B grade 150 gamers out of the trade we have done as well as we realistically can and Langdon would be one of those IMO plus plays a position we are light on for.
Fair enough mate but I'm staunch on hitting the draft or trading for Geelong born and bred players who are assets and can add something to our structure and improve our deficiencies. I don't see that with Langdon because he lacks awareness and game sense to improve the side. I'd rather use a pick to draft Cooper Stephens who is the type of player we're going to need in a few years when Selwood retires. It's an area of more concern at the minute imo.

So unless we're getting a player who has the ability to transform his game to a high standard I'd rather hit the draft. Langdon types are a dime a dozen. We already have them on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate Darcy as one of the better rucks in 3-4 years. My issue is he surely has the no1 ruck spot at Freo with Lobb as a fwd/ruck so why would they trade him and why would he come here unless we promise him the no1 spot? And if we do that Stanley will request a trade IMO. Are we prepared to run with basically a kid (Darcy) as our no1 while we gun for a 2020 flag with Abott and Fort as backup? It makes more sense for us to trade for Darcy in 2-3 years when Stanley retires.

Id rather a top 10 pick and Langdon for TK if we're dealing with Freo.

You had me till the last sentence. All of what you mention for Darcy was my argument about a Pnp KPF.

The passing of a young big chunky ruck is what we did with King. Its what we did and we then let our then current ruck go back to Ess and become a flag player.

Putting aside what Darcys desire is for the moment ... getting a ruck in at 21 that has been in the system 3 years is not the worst thing we could do.. Stanley at 28 may not be too happy but I think id point to Freo and say this kid is not being picked before others there .. we still rate you.. and as long as you continue to perform we see you being right up there in selection consideration. It would be the death knell for Smith and probably someone like Abbot would look at options . Fort may say I can still have a role. Hawk is not a ten year future player... Im 26 ..hang in there and I could be Stanley by the time im 28.. or maybe I do Savs role and Sav moves to being Hawkins, and Darcy is the #1 ruck.

Darcy.. yes you are correct he would ask why would I come home or come to Geelong .. but then all afl players have 18wheeler egos. I think he could be convinced that at 21 you have it all ahead of you ... you could have a decade of footy.. being the youngest ruck , and a single role ruck , a bit like Smith ..we see you as the the next transition. Id say ..do Freo see you that way when they are chasing English? Gee that ground looks hard over there ..hows that on you knees? How do you like all that travel in those planes.. they give you leg room first class seats?

I'd ask is Darcy the player type for us? He is a King/Smith/Mumford type. Just how good is he at getting around the ground..how good at controlling centre bounces and feeding our mids. Could he overcome players like Gawn and Grundy on footy talent .. because superficially he doesnt look the athlete that we have tended to like. Does he have an aggressive streak like Mumford?How good overhead..thats basically Smith weakness. I dont see an R1 player in him atm .. while he has been selected this week ..its more thru injury. I guess he in a watch playing for Freo the rest of the year.

As part of the Kelly deal.... who knoes really heres a spitball..

A top 10 pick and Darcy is still not 2 R1 picks im my eyes ..but would it be enough? Maybe..its sort of feel like a deal where they would back our system to win it long term.

Why does Freo let him go. Is he not up to it? They are linked to Tim English and they are struggling atm to fit in Hogan 24, Lobb 26 , Taberner 26 .. and they want to add another ruck? If Freo trade for English , is Darcy on the clock? What pick is used to get English? that R1 going to be?

Why would the Dogs do that trade.., they certainly dont need to ..but maybe that pick gets them Darling. Do they rate the need for a forward ahead of their young ruckman? Its hard to see what they do for a ruck if the do trade English ..it would leave them with a Rookie as there only player over 200 on there list... but can they get another ruck or two in from somewhere cheapish?( we would probably have one or two that may look gettable and cheap)

So that means the Freo pick gos to the dogs then on to WC.., and WC clear cap space. They have two R1's and can look seriously at their options and Freo have traded out their R1.

So Freo are out ..... unless they lose players somewhere and gain picks. Currently SHill is linked as FA to GC. ..would that get a good comp pick for him? Doubt its real early.. Would they trade both Hills? ... that gets them an early pick for BHill ..and removes a potential obstacle to getting Kelly? GC will have to balance FA in and FA out , if they are going to lose Day as a FA but maybe the comp pick for Day is borderline zip. Maybe GC get both Hills Freo get the comp pick for the oldest and a very early pick for Brad Hill? Suddenly Freo has picks to do any deal..and Kelly no reason not to come.

Convoluted ..probably , but that means ..
WC have an est. P8 & P16 <> Kelly ... or
Freo have P2 & Darcy <> Kelly and something to them. (Freo lose both Hills) ..or
Freo have end of R1 (comp pick), FR1 and Darcy for Kelly (Freo lose only SHill)

One can see how its potentially a multi layered situation ..and thats a real problem as the more complex the deal , the more its less likely to happen. so lets set that forget that atm.

What is Darcy worth as a pick? something in the 20's ? Id probably trade him in for that. (if he is the player we want) ..after all we traded 21 for Stanley.
So is R1 and Darcy enough for Kelly... Id think it would be a bit shallow. R1 and R2 ..it depends on the R1 number

Lost me at Champion data. Same mob that had Melbourne to win the flag, ranked Menzel as an elite forward and not Selwood as a midfielder

Fair enough mate but I'm staunch on hitting the draft or trading for Geelong born and bred players who are assets and can add something to our structure and improve our deficiencies. I don't see that with Langdon because he lacks awareness and game sense to improve the side. I'd rather use a pick to draft Cooper Stephens who is the type of player we're going to need in a few years when Selwood retires. It's an area of more concern at the minute imo.

So unless we're getting a player who has the ability to transform his game to a high standard I'd rather hit the draft. Langdon types are a dime a dozen. We already have them on our list.

Its my foundation as well.. Im a little bit more flexible based on what I have seen in the draft .. I dont see top5-top10 like last year atm. yet there may well be some talented names..in the 30's and 40's.. Its Wells draft imo.

I suspect at his size ..CopperS may well could have stood out in a winning VicC side... so getting him in the 20's could well be a bargain.. There will be mo universal love of what the clubs does.. one only has to look at the potential traded in names and how the reactions on here vary.

Last edited:
I see Darcy was initially drafted with pick 38, I think that's about his current value. I don't think he has increased his value at all. To me, he has a bit of Dawson Simpson about him. Reasonable chance of being a bust IMO. I'm not keen, but for pick 35-40, I could understand the club taking a gamble on him from a longterm pov. I personally wouldn't want him to be a key part of any Kelly deal.

Don't want Darcy unless he's steak Knives. For example, 2x First rounders and Sean Darcy for Tim Kelly and a 2nd rounder. Before anyone says that's too much to ask for, just remember that Kelly is a very good chance to win the Brownlow this year. He'll finish top 5 at the very least. Darcy is effectively worth pick 45 anyway so it's not to much to ask.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You had me till the last sentence. All of what you mention for Darcy was my argument about a Pnp KPF.

The passing of a young big chunky ruck is what we did with King. Its what we did and we then let our then current ruck go back to Ess and become a flag player.

Putting aside what Darcys desire is for the moment ... getting a ruck in at 21 that has been in the system 3 years is not the worst thing we could do.. Stanley at 28 may not be too happy but I think id point to Freo and say this kid is not being picked before others there .. we still rate you.. and as long as you continue to perform we see you being right up there in selection consideration. It would be the death knell for Smith and probably someone like Abbot would look at options . Fort may say I can still have a role. Hawk is not a ten year future player... Im 26 ..hang in there and I could be Stanley by the time im 28.. or maybe I do Savs role and Sav moves to being Hawkins, and Darcy is the #1 ruck.

Darcy.. yes you are correct he would ask why would I come home or come to Geelong .. but then all afl players have 18wheeler egos. I think he could be convinced that at 21 you have it all ahead of you ... you could have a decade of footy.. being the youngest ruck , and a single role ruck , a bit like Smith ..we see you as the the next transition. Id say ..do Freo see you that way when they are chasing English? Gee that ground looks hard over there ..hows that on you knees? How do you like all that travel in those planes.. they give you leg room first class seats?

I'd ask is Darcy the player type for us? He is a King/Smith/Mumford type. Just how good is he at getting around the ground..how good at controlling centre bounces and feeding our mids. Could he overcome players like Gawn and Grundy on footy talent .. because superficially he doesnt look the athlete that we have tended to like. Does he have an aggressive streak like Mumford?How good overhead..thats basically Smith weakness. I dont see an R1 player in him atm .. while he has been selected this week ..its more thru injury. I guess he in a watch playing for Freo the rest of the year.

As part of the Kelly deal.... who knoes really heres a spitball..

A top 10 pick and Darcy is still not 2 R1 picks im my eyes ..but would it be enough? Maybe..its sort of feel like a deal where they would back our system to win it long term.

Why does Freo let him go. Is he not up to it? They are linked to Tim English and they are struggling atm to fit in Hogan 24, Lobb 26 , Taberner 26 .. and they want to add another ruck? If Freo trade for English , is Darcy on the clock? What pick is used to get English? that R1 going to be?

Why would the Dogs do that trade.., they certainly dont need to ..but maybe that pick gets them Darling. Do they rate the need for a forward ahead of their young ruckman? Its hard to see what they do for a ruck if the do trade English ..it would leave them with a Rookie as there only player over 200 on there list... but can they get another ruck or two in from somewhere cheapish?( we would probably have one or two that may look gettable and cheap)

So that means the Freo pick gos to the dogs then on to WC.., and WC clear cap space. They have two R1's and can look seriously at their options and Freo have traded out their R1.

So Freo are out ..... unless they lose players somewhere and gain picks. Currently SHill is linked as FA to GC. ..would that get a good comp pick for him? Doubt its real early.. Would they trade both Hills? ... that gets them an early pick for BHill ..and removes a potential obstacle to getting Kelly? GC will have to balance FA in and FA out , if they are going to lose Day as a FA but maybe the comp pick for Day is borderline zip. Maybe GC get both Hills Freo get the comp pick for the oldest and a very early pick for Brad Hill? Suddenly Freo has picks to do any deal..and Kelly no reason not to come.

Convoluted ..probably , but that means ..
WC have an est. P8 & P16 <> Kelly ... or
Freo have P2 & Darcy <> Kelly and something to them. (Freo lose both Hills) ..or
Freo have end of R1 (comp pick), FR1 and Darcy for Kelly (Freo lose only SHill)

One can see how its potentially a multi layered situation ..and thats a real problem as the more complex the deal , the more its less likely to happen. so lets set that forget that atm.

What is Darcy worth as a pick? something in the 20's ? Id probably trade him in for that. (if he is the player we want) ..after all we traded 21 for Stanley.
So is R1 and Darcy enough for Kelly... Id think it would be a bit shallow. R1 and R2 ..it depends on the R1 number

Really good post. Few things on it.

I dont think the Dogs trade English while contracted. Who are their other rucks..Trengove..Sweet? Not much. Their talls in general are crap i cant see them releasing him no matter what Freo ask for.

I suppose the difference with kpf is we dont have a quality 2nd kpf (Sav might become one but isnt yet) whereas we have a quality ruck (Stanley) so id rather trade for that than another ruck and putting Stanley in the vfl or trading him.

Sandi will retire Lobbs stated preference is to play forward and Jones and Meek are crap so Darcy has the spot. Stanley has more years left, i cant see Darcy coming here to play vfl for 2 years unless he is desperately homesick and ive seen nothing to indicate that.

Value wise Kelly is clearly 2R1s with 1 in the top 10 imo (whether we get is another matter) and Darcys probably worth a pick in the 20s. So something like a top 10 pick + Darcy and a R2 for Kelly and a R3 is probably fair imo but id far rather target Langdon or another mid or a kpf off their list than Darcy.

I doubt Darling goes anywhere he's local and has a young kid which is why they would look to extend him they wont risk disharmony by trying to trade a contracted player who is likely to refuse to go. If the Dogs swap English for an older Darling they are mad.

As for Freo they could get both they could always trade their R1 + a player for English (i think dogs will refuse no matter what though) and next years first + Darcy or Langdon and whatever other players for TK but honestly i think Langdon will go and Darcy and Darling will stay where they are.

It would be amusing if Freo get rid of the Hills and Caitlin then decides shes happy with Freo again but i doubt Freo do that both those players are popular and it might cause issues in their playing group and both are needed in their best 22 anyway. Stephen is not worth much at his age.

Last edited:
Don't want Darcy unless he's steak Knives. For example, 2x First rounders and Sean Darcy for Tim Kelly and a 2nd rounder. Before anyone says that's too much to ask for, just remember that Kelly is a very good chance to win the Brownlow this year. He'll finish top 5 at the very least. Darcy is effectively worth pick 45 anyway so it's not to much to ask.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree. The guy can't even get a regular game at the moment. By that definition alone, having been in the system for a few years, he's steak knives.

I agree. The guy can't even get a regular game at the moment. By that definition alone, having been in the system for a few years, he's steak knives.

To be fair Darcy was their lead ruck last year and has been injured this year and only just came back. With Lobb out for months he will be their no1 ruck for the rest of the year now imo so we will get a good look at where hes at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back