Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists... Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Catempire's suggestion above that to question the Cats last 10 years is to imply that getting in to the finals is futile and meaningless - a waste of time - is not logical. Clearly there are many variables here: the big picture is that Geelong now has a decade-long history of finals failure, including several abject displays when we struggled to score and indeed several when the game was over by quarter time.

Against this background fans have every right to ask questions. Indeed they have every right to ask whether in certain years it may have been better not to play finals at all and instead enjoy the twin benefits of (1) avoiding ignominious defeat and (2) getting better draft picks. I am of this school of thought.

And so, right now choosing wisely at the upcoming draft is far more important to me than whether or not we play finals next year.

Further, if we do play finals i would hope to see a very different team on the field than the one that has proved time and again that it isn't up to the task.

Catempire's suggestion above that to question the Cats last 10 years is to imply that getting in to the finals is futile and meaningless - a waste of time - is not logical. Clearly there are many variables here: the big picture is that Geelong now has a decade-long history of finals failure, including several abject displays when we struggled to score and indeed several when the game was over by quarter time.

Against this background fans have every right to ask questions. Indeed they have every right to ask whether in certain years it may have been better not to play finals at all and instead enjoy the twin benefits of (1) avoiding ignominious defeat and (2) getting better draft picks. I am of this school of thought.

And so, right now choosing wisely at the upcoming draft is far more important to me than whether or not we play finals next year.

Further, if we do play finals i would hope to see a very different team on the field than the one that has proved time and again that it isn't up to the task.
It is a very different team to time and time again that you refer to, every year. But we are not necessarily getting stronger after this draft and trades, time will tell.

Last edited:
The team has changed over the years, nonetheless quite a few of our lads have now played in several losing finals - and a handful of winning ones too - but I employed the phrase, the "big picture", to convey the sense that little is changing in terms of finals results, they justifying the frustration of those among us who are now asking a lot of questions and keen to see change. I was pleased to learn that Hocking has referred specifically to playing youth - at least I hope that's what he said; he and not Scott is now the boss and that is his judgement, one with which I concur.

Frankly it would be easier to cop defeat in a final next year with several younger faces in the team than to see us lose yet again with all those BELOW chaps ( worse in finals than during the season) in the team.

A thorough review of players final performances would be a good idea. Try to weed out players who continually put in poor performances in finals. What’s the point of continually playing gary rohan when he has shown over and over again he’s a finals train wreck?

A thorough review of players final performances would be a good idea. Try to weed out players who continually put in poor performances in finals. What’s the point of continually playing gary rohan when he has shown over and over again he’s a finals train wreck?
This. Too much faith shown in him. You’d have gotten the same baseline performance by playing Frank Evans or Darcy Fort or Jordan Clarke.

Rohan is an athletic beast and a great kick. Put him in a space where he can be involved and contribute - otherwise- don’t play him.

This. Too much faith shown in him. You’d have gotten the same baseline performance by playing Frank Evans or Darcy Fort or Jordan Clarke.

Rohan is an athletic beast and a great kick. Put him in a space where he can be involved and contribute - otherwise- don’t play him.
Have we got anyone else that could play that third tall role? Or would we need to play another small forward? Or would it just be a case of play sav instead of rohan?

pros
- His best is excellent
- He helps get us to finals

cons
-He has shown over and over again he’s a finals train wreck

---->overall, who takes his spot that is definitely a step up?

I like the idea of bringing in rebounding defenders who are skilled ball users. For me Brown would be my first choice at the draft.

I tend to agree with you.
A few of them around the more i read up on potential draftees... A.Lord being one. L.Rayson being another.

Sounds like a sports psychologist might be a good investment ?

I tend to agree with you.
A few of them around the more i read up on potential draftees... A.Lord being one. L.Rayson being another.

I just can't have Lord although lots of people disagree. Poor decision maker with ball in hand. Does a lot of runs to no where IMHO and decisions get a lot more difficult the higher you go up because things are unfolding so much more quickly. Rayson is the opposite. Not quite as quick but much better in the air and a great decision maker under pressure or in space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knevitt really doesn’t excite me. Very Constable like from this footage. Poor disposal, lack of composure, tall but not dominant.

People on hear are seduced by a 193 mid playing for the falcons thinking he’s the next bont or Cripps but forget those players are special. What’s important is how they play. There is nothing bont or cripps like from the way he plays from this footage. Can’t afford another bust with our first pick or get seduced by the fact he plays for the falcons

Last edited:
Knevitt really doesn’t excite me. Very Constable like from this footage. Poor disposal, lack of composure, tall but not dominant.

People on hear are seduced by a 193 mid playing for the falcons thinking he’s the next bont or Cripps but forget those players are special. There is nothing bont or cripps like from the way he plays from this footage. Don’t see anything draftable from this footage… hope we pass on him. Can’t afford another bust with our first pick or get seduced by the fact he plays for the falcons

Have thought hes a 30-40 pick for quite some time, if we are using 22 on a mid there will be better options available.

---->overall, who takes his spot that is definitely a step up?
Do we need a definite immediate step-up, or would it be more worthwhile to invest into someone younger who may give similar immediate input but have far greater upside and may have more time ahead of them? No guarantees, but if we don't start investing in some young players we'll be falling off a cliff very soon.

In 2009 we could have kept playing Tom Lonergan in the forward line. He kicked 36 goals from 16 games in 2008. Not too bad. Why do you think he was replaced with a young, green Tom Hawkins?

Hocking, in his SEN interview this moring, stated that there has been a lot of interest in trading for our picks in the 30's. Sounds like there is a fair chance we are trading up.

Good reason as picks/players/prospects from lets say 15-16 to 30-35 are pretty much all the same i reckon...

The general makeup of this draft combined with our list needs of both inside and outside mids should give us some flexibility. If a good offer comes along or there's a specific player we want then it makes sense to trade up, but I'd also be happy to sit after looking at how these mock drafts are shaking out with midfield options left for our earlier picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back