Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists... Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read that today - such a fantastic article, and a great insight into how much change he's already brought to the club in such a short amount of time. Very pleasing to hear him so strong in his views when it comes getting the balance roght and us going too far in one direction - re. youth vs legacy

My feeling. and its just that... that a clean slate from outside can come in and make a few hard calls without him being involved in the legacy of those decisions. The next 24 months will give us a better feel..as we are very much committed for 2022.

Hocking, in his SEN interview this moring, stated that there has been a lot of interest in trading for our picks in the 30's. Sounds like there is a fair chance we are trading up.
If we trade up for picks may well mean we are going to take 2 or 3 in the DFA period and try and trade for future picks

True!. I think that talk was they had it (gastro-virus-bug) during the week and with 2-3 days to go before the prelim they were 70-30 ready to go...
In the end they all put their hands up but as we saw, they were a shadow of themselves.
I heard we had seven or eight that had been affected. The reason it came out was that the club had advised the AFL in case we needed to make mass changes.

If we trade up for picks may well mean we are going to take 2 or 3 in the DFA period and try and trade for future picks

Was thinking along the same lines...
Schlensog seems the most obvious choice IMO.
Brander is a mehhh for me. Not fussed but doesn't do anything for me personally.
Wouldn't mind converting 34 into a Future 2nd rounder if there are any decent takers.

I heard we had seven or eight that had been affected. The reason it came out was that the club had advised the AFL in case we needed to make mass changes.

Shhhish... Be very very quiet (with a Elmur Fudd voice over)
Don't bring it up as some on here think it's just a smokescreen for a poor performance.

Was thinking along the same lines...
Schlensog seems the most obvious choice IMO.
Brander is a mehhh for me. Not fussed but doesn't do anything for me personally.
Wouldn't mind converting 34 into a Future 2nd rounder if there are any decent takers.
Agree on Schlensog based on need. At some stage over the next couple of years we are likely to need future picks to give us picks to cover retirements and delistings. I probably expect Dalhous and Higgins to retire at the end of the year and Selwood will be a year by year proposition.

Potentially or it means we are going to elevate atkins and close and run with 2 extra rookies instead of 2 extra senior list (only need to give rookies 1 year contract not 2). Or we might be taking a DFA tall as well as stengle.

Sandra Sully saying Brander going to GWS.

We'll need another back up key back ..

Blake would be the obvious if he wants to come back.
Im not against dean in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What draft range do people think Frejo Jnr will get drafted at? 20-55/rookie ?

In a normal draft id say rookie only but this will be an interesting draft..40 to rookie i think.

It's a shame. Was really hoping we could add one of Brander or Talia in the offseason to support SDK and free up Blitz a little. Backline looking pretty shaky height wise if one of Blitz or Kolo goes down for a long stint.

Brander is no good as a key back or as a forward, according to the WC board. Apparently doesn't deal well with contact, and that's why he was trialled as a winger. Schlensog is the one we're targeting, as Wells stated. He's the one we should be hoping for, not Brander (who's gone now anyway so the point is moot).

It's a shame. Was really hoping we could add one of Brander or Talia in the offseason to support SDK and free up Blitz a little. Backline looking pretty shaky height wise if one of Blitz or Kolo goes down for a long stint.

Talia's career is finished now due to injury lol, so that would definitely have been a bad move. Brander is no good as a defender either, so neither are worth losing sleep over

Not too fussed that Brander isn’t coming to us. I do think though we need to bring in a mature tall - Skinner sounding the best option of those available.

Forget about has beens like Brander or Skinner, you've got the Number 1 pick - the draft is where you should be! :p

From NewsCorp, apologies if this has already been posted:

Geelong
Draft picks: 22, 30, 32, 34, 50, 91

List needs: Outside speed, key position depth, forward pressure, young midfielders

Who could be available at first pick: Tom Brown, Sam Butler, Jacob van Rooyen, Leek Alleer, Blake Howes

In the mix after that: Rhett Bazzo, Leek Alleer, Mitch Knevitt, Greg Clark, Arthur Jones

The Cats have four selections in the second round and should be able to snare several promising players, while improving their age profile in a draft that bats deep. Geelong’s lack of outside speed was laid bare during the finals series and, after losing Jordan Clark during the trade period, a player like half-back Brown - who falls 16 games short of Cats father-son status from father, Paul – or athletic wingman Howes would be sound additions. The retirement of Lachie Henderson means the Cats’ tall defensive stocks are looking slim, and it’s similar up forward outside of Tom Hawkins and Jeremy Cameron. Swingman van Rooyen would address both needs if he is available at their first pick, while Alleer is more advanced as a key defender after a full year at SANFL level. With an ageing centre bounce brigade, could the Cats look to local Geelong Falcons product Mitch Knevitt? The 193cm contested ball-winner tested strongly for endurance and speed at the draft combine and can take marks up forward. Mature-ager Clark, a 24-year-old WAFL star, is a tall midfielder who can give the Cats an immediate boost, while WA youngster Jones showed his exciting attributes at the national carnival as a forward-wingman and could appeal late.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...ap-jason-horne-francis-turns-performance-year

Cant say I could visualise him ... but it sounds like a wells dice roll...

Player focus
A draft smokie who little was expected of for Western Australia in the Grand Final curtain raiser against South Australia, Arthur Jones was the star of the day, playing a major part in his side's five-point win.

With just the nine games of WAFL Colts exposure before Saturday's match, club recruiters will be scrambling for game tape of Jones and discussing whether he should be added to their draft boards after playing a high impact per possession game in which he kicked two goals in 10 minutes and was Western Australia's most damaging around the ground.

Jones broke the lines with his run, used his agility and evasion to avoid would-be tacklers, hit meaningful targets by foot, felt lively and as if he could make something happen whenever the ball hit the ground.

In 22-minute quarters, the dangerous outside runner managed 15 disposals, six inside 50s and two goals. At just 178cm and 60kg, Jones is light and will take time to develop, but the talent and scope to improve is obvious. With hints of Jarman Impey, once developed physically, Jones could prove a similarly damaging player.

Not too fussed that Brander isn’t coming to us. I do think though we need to bring in a mature tall - Skinner sounding the best option of those available.

Id want a clean medical on skinner given his history but on form hes worth taking.

Every time I see Greg Clark mentioned I think he is a realistic chance to be taken by Wells. If he can come straight in and hold down a mid position (big ask I know) it allows Danger to play more time up forward and possibly replace Rohan if that is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back