Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Ted C....

I think its all rel to how the club rate him, who we bring in, what picks we have. It would seem that several of the junior watchers on here mention him before 40 but who knows really. Its how 18 clubs rate him. It only takes one to call his name.

If he lasts to 40 then he changes from an open player to ours, before that, he is like any other player ... and on occasion we have traded up , traded in to get players we have rated. If we took him early , it would be because we rate him before others and do not think he will last.

If we bring in a play now mid in trade, I think its possible we may just see if he slides thru to us. We took a lot of mids last year , we have not seen them all yet, its down to what the club defines as our list priority.

Id have to say the bits of champ games that I have seen so far its been an ordinary standard this year. If Chlosey is a standout of any sort..its a good chance he is taken before 40.

We don’t know if they have the cap to match or the desire to keep a player who wants to leave. Hocking might have a say in whether we go down the Cameron trade route again rather than walk away.

We dont know their cap situation...but as they are paying him now... and after his exploits .. Id say they will have cap room. Then it falls into a Cameron situation, they had no issues matching even after a player had been at their club for ten years wanted to utilise their rights under Free Agency..
I agree Hocking is a difference.

Because if they match and the other club walks away and they are stuck with brayshaw on 700k then they wont have the cap space to keep jackson and they know it.

Are we talking Deg or Brawshaw? Id think Brawshaw may get offered more money elsewhere...but Deg would probably be lucky to get an offer that equals his current dollars

Lots of “ifs” but if both Selwood and Dangerfield hang up the boots at seasons end (if we win the flag, Selwood could conceivably; if Danger does his calf again, he could too), then we have ample cash to go shopping. In fact, we are sort of bound to really. We aren’t going to just distribute the lot around to our existing players coming out of contract plus any new kids we draft.

We dont know their cap situation...but as they are paying him now... and after his exploits .. Id say they will have cap room. Then it falls into a Cameron situation, they had no issues matching even after a player had been at their club for ten years wanted to utilise their rights under Free Agency..
I agree Hocking is a difference.
A difference with Cameron is that he is a rare star goal kicker and Giants needed him. Melbourne don’t need Brayshaw in the midfield and this is a position where I believe he voted high in the Brownlow in the past. I expect he wants to play there again, unless he is happy to let Oliver and Petracca get most of the glory for the rest of his career. So Melbourne might not want to spend say $700,000 pa on a defender and would rather use the money to fill a perceived gap elsewhere or keeping other players like Jackson.

Because if they match and the other club walks away and they are stuck with brayshaw on 700k then they wont have the cap space to keep jackson and they know it.

Yeah, but they might take the risk with us - teams know we'll do our damndest to get a player who wants to come to the Cats (see Cameron), so they could make a calculated gamble.

Lots of “ifs” but if both Selwood and Dangerfield hang up the boots at seasons end (if we win the flag, Selwood could conceivably; if Danger does his calf again, he could too), then we have ample cash to go shopping. In fact, we are sort of bound to really. We aren’t going to just distribute the lot around to our existing players coming out of contract plus any new kids we draft.

I could be wrong, but even if Dangerfield retires, his salary still counts towards the cap I think (even though we're not paying it). It's why super long-term contracts like Buddy are a major risk - doesn't matter if the player fills the contract, it still counts. (But would be happy to be proven wrong.)

I could be wrong, but even if Dangerfield retires, his salary still counts towards the cap I think (even though we're not paying it). It's why super long-term contracts like Buddy are a major risk - doesn't matter if the player fills the contract, it still counts. (But would be happy to be proven wrong.)

My bad, thought Danger was at the end of a contract period this year.

Yeah, but they might take the risk with us - teams know we'll do our damndest to get a player who wants to come to the Cats (see Cameron), so they could make a calculated gamble.

Cameron was a generational player and key forwards are the hardest player type of quality to get so thats why clubs trade for them. We arent trading for a mid when theres so many good ones on the market and melb know it.

For the record i reckon freo will get one of jackson or brayshaw im just not sure which.

That’s not happening they will both play next year. Certainly Danger will keep playing longer than those on here seem to think. But we should have the cap space anyway with the mix we have on the list of young players and veterans no longer on the beat contract.

My bad, thought Danger was at the end of a contract period this year.

No danger is contracted 2024 hes one of the few guys we have contracted past next year along with blitz duncan guthrie and jezza (next year will be a big year as we have so many players ooc).

That said dahl is on 500k and will go this year, higgins will go now, selwood goes this year or next. Hawkins smith and tuohy if they go on will be on lower $ and ditto rohan (who might go this year anyway). Stanley and ceglar will retire end of next year and menegola is FA again next year so we will have a lot of cap space at the end of this year and next not withstanding the upgraded contracts that de koning holmes stengle and neale will need.

It’s the way it’s panned out with us but most clubs would have done the same thing in our situation. It was good negotiation in the end with the picks that we received back.
It would create a lot of negative impact across other players, player agents etc if a team had committed to a player but then wouldn’t trade for them. Obviously in other sports like the nba it happens all the time but the afl isn’t there yet.

Cameron was a generational player and key forwards are the hardest player type of quality to get so thats why clubs trade for them. We arent trading for a mid when theres so many good ones on the market and melb know it.

For the record i reckon freo will get one of jackson or brayshaw im just not sure which.

Yeah, fair call. They could think we'd be desperate for quality in the middle, especially if Selwood retires, but personally I hope that if we make the play and if it gets knocked back, we just go to the draft / develop our existing youngies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, fair call. They could think we'd be desperate for quality in the middle, especially if Selwood retires, but personally I hope that if we make the play and if it gets knocked back, we just go to the draft / develop our existing youngies.

We need mid quality but there will be heaps of options in FA next year dont need to trade for brayshaw. Consequently with key forwards D graders like mcstay get 5 year deals astheres less number quality of key forwards across the 18 clubs and they are hard to get.

We need mid quality but there will be heaps of options in FA next year dont need to trade for brayshaw. Consequently with key forwards D graders like mcstay get 5 year deals astheres less number quality of key forwards across the 18 clubs and they are hard to get.

I hope we're already looking at Curnow and/or TDK as I doubt Carlton can keep both as well as McKay who is also ooc next year.

A difference with Cameron is that he is a rare star goal kicker and Giants needed him. Melbourne don’t need Brayshaw in the midfield and this is a position where I believe he voted high in the Brownlow in the past. I expect he wants to play there again, unless he is happy to let Oliver and Petracca get most of the glory for the rest of his career. So Melbourne might not want to spend say $700,000 pa on a defender and would rather use the money to fill a perceived gap elsewhere or keeping other players like Jackson.

I think we might offer more than Melb with dollars ... that might make it less clear,, Deg...our dollars would be much the same

Can see Angus Brayshaw accumulating big numbers at another club next year (If he leaves)

Would have to be near zero chance of Dangerfield retiring mid contract.

But we should still have shopping money anyway.

On left-footers: they're nearly all good kicks and kick long and low rather than up and under as Parfitt, for example, does. Cameron and Smith are good examples. They add variety. They're great to watch. We need 2 or 3 more in the seniors.

On left-footers: they're nearly all good kicks and kick long and low rather than up and under as Parfitt, for example, does. Cameron and Smith are good examples. They add variety. They're great to watch. We need 2 or 3 more in the seniors.
Isaac smith is a long kick, not sure I’d want him to hit a target for my life.

I hope we're already looking at Curnow and/or TDK as I doubt Carlton can keep both as well as McKay who is also ooc next year.

We have chased curnow before so no doubt we will try again as RFAs but i expect him and harry will stay. Trying to get harrys brother (also RFA next year) given how poor north are going and our need for kpds might be more realistic.

I think Dangerfield still has good football in him. Franklin had a horror run with soft tissue and is still going well at 35. He will need to reinvent himself a little but he is a special player. I think he can.

He should play forward with midfield bursts only when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back