Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

It would've been great if Sydney had responded to us absolutely obliterating their midfield in the 2022 GF and again early in 2023 by trading out Heeney, Gulden, Rowbottom, Warner, etc.

Cause young midfielders can't possibly get taught a lesson and improve a lot thereafter right? Maybe we could try giving Holmes, Bruhn, Clark, Conway and Dempsey 50 games and see where they're at rather than throwing the toys out of the cot or chasing a quick fix that doesn't actually fix anything.

It would've been great if Sydney had responded to us absolutely obliterating their midfield in the 2022 GF and again early in 2023 by trading out Heeney, Gulden, Rowbottom, Warner, etc.

Cause young midfielders can't possibly get taught a lesson and improve a lot thereafter right? Maybe we could try giving Holmes, Bruhn, Clark, Conway and Dempsey 50 games and see where they're at rather than throwing the toys out of the cot or chasing a quick fix that doesn't actually fix anything.

The names you’ve mentioned are obviously going to be persevered with. And all, imo, will become valuable players. But we still need to add more quality to our midfield group and it should be treated as our major priority in upcoming list management whether through draft, trade or FA.

I’m confident that another two years from now those players will have blossomed and we have added another few to add to the mix. We may have to take a bit of medicine on the way through though.

Hardly.

My point was I doubt we can fix him, and even if we could, he won't play in 2025. It's pointless even talking about it.

The AFL won't allow it. The domestic violence awareness round was a canary in the coalmine without us even having to do anything.

TT could cure cancer in the next 6 months and the backlash of recruiting him would still (rightly) be immense. It's not worth it.

…that…was…the…joke…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The names you’ve mentioned are obviously going to be persevered with. And all, imo, will become valuable players. But we still need to add more quality to our midfield group and it should be treated as our major priority in upcoming list management whether through draft, trade or FA.

I’m confident that another two years from now those players will have blossomed and we have added another few to add to the mix. We may have to take a bit of medicine on the way through though.

But who are you adding to the mix? We're perfectly capable of developing B and C grade mids. Either we try to bring in an A grader which involves massive risk or we bring in another Bowes, Parfitt or Atkins type.

My fear is we give up something of value for another ok role player and a guy like Dempsey is not developed as a mid. Or we go big on the wrong guy (Smith is my fear) and stuff our drafting and salary cap for years reaching for a guy who isn't the solution. We're at risk of going down the same road to solve our midfield issues and we went down trying to get our next full forward after Ablett.

But who are you adding to the mix? We're perfectly capable of developing B and C grade mids. Either we try to bring in an A grader which involves massive risk or we bring in another Bowes, Parfitt or Atkins type.

My fear is we give up something of value for another ok role player and a guy like Dempsey is not developed as a mid. Or we go big on the wrong guy (Smith is my fear) and stuff our drafting and salary cap for years reaching for a guy who isn't the solution. We're at risk of going down the same road to solve our midfield issues and we went down trying to get our next full forward after Ablett.
It won't be that bad, we just have to avoid doing anything stupid.

For example:

Paying the world (e.g trading out of 1-2 drafts) for LDU, Smith, or McCluggage? = Stupid.

Taking picks to the draft and persevering with kids? = Smart

Bringing in free agents to improve the side without sacrificing draft capital? = Smart

Basically what this is going to come down to is desperation vs clear thinking.

Does slotting LDU into this midfield right now sound awesome? Sure it does, but at what cost?

Is the more intelligent approach to keep our picks this year and continue to build through the draft, and then look at him next year when the picture is a bit clearer, and he'll cost us salary only? I'd say so.

Hawthorn & Richmond got desperate, and it cost them for years down the track.

The Hawks might well be contending right now if they'd taken their medicine rather than selling the farm for Wingard, JOM, & Mitchell.

The Tigers would be in year 3 of a rebuild right now with some genuine youth coming through, but instead, they're in year 1 and look 5 years off finals because of TT & Hopper. They got desperate.

I trust us to learn from their mistakes.

Done Deal lets ignore our posts from now on. However I do not need your advice and I will decide where i am suited to post. I will not reply to you any further. Enjoy your caravan.
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

I still think even with Humphries looking exciting we could do with getting another half back in - a young prospect or ready made. Duncan and Tuohy are on the way out, Holmes is required in midfield. So there are 2-3 rebounding roles available.

We need quality ball users/decision makers off the half back line who can a) rack up 20+ well directed disposals and b) push up to the wing for elite inside 50 entries. Yes, our half forwards push up high to help with this but we could still do with another (I hate to say this) Jordan Clark type player behind the ball.

Mullin could be it but I'm keen to explore how he goes in the midfield and it seems we are all pushing towards that.

Last edited:
I need to see to see the champs the quality of play. Certainly I have felt the last couple of years has not ben a super high standard of some of those previous years.
Yeah that kid was being talked about as a selection after 25 and that tells me there's depth this year

I’d be happy if the club went for Smith. But with the caveat that it’s only for a price. A single pick around 10-14 would be as much as I’d be prepared to pay.

Otherwise I’m going back to the draft and just being patient. Our next group of talent are all young so we have time to bring them through.

We do have an age list imbalance that probably needs some rectification. But I’m not sure there are too many mature aged mids I would be that interested in that wouldn’t cost the earth.

Broadly i agree with some of that but we are going to have so much cap space that using a bit of it on smith wont stuff our cap. We are going to have to frontload just to hit 95 % soon anyway.

If Yeo body can't hold up in Perth's beautiful sun it has no chance withstanding a Geelong winter

Not that I think he'd come..

A month ago, I felt we had so much depth, but how things have changed. A couple of injuries have left us as possibly the second-worst side in the league. Our older players are becoming much more injury-prone, which unsettles the side. The team needs rejuvenation.

Geelong must stop gifting games to our older players in the hope they find form. I would rather see the younger players get game time to prove their capabilities.

We keep talking about the potential of the younger players coming through, but that is this no different from what all of the other sides think? Are our younger players actually that good in comparison to other sides? The chances of a good trade haul look bleak.

"Example Gold Coast have two first rounds and an end of first-round, as well as two second-round picks in this year’s national draft. That would be a complete rebuild at the top end for us just there.
We are happy to take the scraps off the Gold Coast team.

Geelong is being challenged and their future direction will be interesting.
This has been the case since 2013 and it's gone just fine.

The notion that we are somehow the second-worst side in the league is a bit over the top. We didn't lose by much to Port or Melbourne, I'm prepared to write off the Gold Coast game as short break plus tropical conditions plus team changes plus played badly.

Being overly reliant on veterans and having to turn later picks into very good footballers has been our lot for a long time now.

Mate please ignore my posts in the future. I would rather you not reply to my comments but it is an open forum.
If you don't want someone else to respond to your posts, then just block them yourself. Don't ask someone else to do the work for you; most of the time, I don't take notice of who I am responding to, just the content itself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man Jeka is frustrating. Beautiful sweeping kick from deep in defence to the right target at half back wing which sets up a goal. Excellent skill and decision making.

5 minutes later gets caught holding the ball because he's just standing there not making a decision. Just no urgency

We must be due for another ‘club stuffed up not drafting Brodie Grundy’ post, it’s been a few days 🙄

Man Jeka is frustrating. Beautiful sweeping kick from deep in defence to the right target at half back wing which sets up a goal. Excellent skill and decision making.

5 minutes later gets caught holding the ball because he's just standing there not making a decision. Just no urgency
The guy has a bit of "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" about him.

Can take a decent intercept mark and is a nice kick, but I don't recall ever seeing him get down and dirty.

He is very casual... even borderline arrogant the way he swings onto his left leg and regularly misses targets with it.

He does this plenty... he has time to straighten and get on his right leg but seems to just think "she'll the right" and goes with his left... and missed targets. It's a nice left leg though, but he goes onto it more than he needs and it's costly.

COS > Jeka every day of the week for mine.

COS will only get better... Jeka won't.

Can take a decent intercept mark and is a nice kick, but I don't recall ever seeing him get down and dirty.

He is very casual... even borderline arrogant the way he swings onto his left leg and regularly misses targets with it.

He does this plenty... he has time to straighten and get on his right leg but seems to just think "she'll the right" and goes with his left... and missed targets. It's a nice left leg though, but he goes onto it more than he needs and it's costly.

I think jeka can get better. He just has to want to

Watching the vfl replay and I reckon I'd give Willis another year.

Murdoch, Foster. Thank you and goodbye

Murdoch and foster are gone.

I think willis is 50/50 depending on how many list spots we want to clear and trades.

I thought this about liam jones who was similar.
But then he flicked the intensity switch and became a beast.
The question is can jeka mentally do that as the talent is there but hes almost out of time.

Watching the vfl replay and I reckon I'd give Willis another year.

Murdoch, Foster. Thank you and goodbye

Willis seems the most aggressive … but is he up to it? We need to see him at the next level. its getting harder all the time to judge players at the lower level. Some of that VFL game was so frustrating to watch. Pike and Ajang look interesting prospects. The two marks that Pike took , and then the conversion made me wonder why we didnt try him resting forward more.

Humpfries kicking at times is very high end. One would think he could easily be a Daniels type…. but some of the kicking from all of team seemed be wind affected. Tough day for precise football.

I think jeka can get better. He just has to want to

Im not sure. Is it Scorpion and Frog. Could be wrong , but he reminds me of guy who was way to talented when playing at lower levels and now against tougher opponents find that skill is just not enough any more. I think he will always be the type that looks like he could almost do anything. For good and bad.

Humpfries kicking at times is very high end. One would think he could easily be a Daniels type…. but some of the kicking from all of team seemed be wind affected. Tough day for precise football.
He def is our designated kicker in the back half.

I think I was most happy to see him taking a couple of nice intercept grabs to show other good attributes in his game.

He probably will get a run at some stage in the AFL this year... I'm not sure if he will be given the ball in the 1's the way the team gives it to him in the magoos... So him doing everything right when he doesn't have the ball is as important to me as him using it well when he has it.

He is good just about every time I watch him... the signs are promising for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back