Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

From the discussion I would be happy with either Curtin or Caddy - preference would be Caddy. I think our need is greater to get a tall forward onto the list. Will take a few years to develop and by then Hawk and possibly Cameron will be gone and at best I am a hope with Shannon Neale and he is coming up to his 4th year.

From the discussion I would be happy with either Curtin or Caddy - preference would be Caddy. I think our need is greater to get a tall forward onto the list. Will take a few years to develop and by then Hawk and possibly Cameron will be gone and at best I am a hope with Shannon Neale and he is coming up to his 4th year.

Never, ever go needs-based inside the top 10.

According to Cal's phantom, there'll be seven academy/FS bids inside the first round (Walter, Read, Rogers, Croft, McCabe, Graham, Cleary). That takes our pick 25 out to pick 31 (goes out 7, then back in 1).

I haven't done the numbers, but our 76, 87 & 94 could come in as far as 56, 60 and 63.

Caddy said in an interview he has a 6'8" (203cm) wing span.

Edit: some more footage.

203cm? Bloody hell he has the reach of SDK/the King twins, then. With his agility, skills below his knees, and ability to play through the midfield, that makes things very interesting indeed.

I've been warming to him for a few weeks now, and I really liked his interview - seems like he has a really good head on his shoulders.

I hope we just take him tonight, or even get Adelaide or Essendon's pick plus another pick - and Caddy.

Easier to look forward to tonight knowing that worse case scenario is we end up with our next replacement key forward for the next decade in the next 6 hours.

This could be our side as soon as 2025:

B: Mullin, SDK, J. Henry
HB: Stewart, Kolo, Zuthrie
C: Holmes, T. Atkins, Bowes
FO: Conway, C. Guthrie, Bruhn
HF: O. Henry, N. Caddy, Miers
F: Stengle, J. Cameron, Close
INT: Blics, Knevitt, J. Clark, Dempsey
Sub: O'Connor

EMG: S. Neale, Parfitt, Bews, Clohesy

According to Cal's phantom, there'll be seven academy/FS bids inside the first round (Walter, Read, Rogers, Croft, McCabe, Graham, Cleary). That takes our pick 25 out to pick 31 (goes out 7, then back in 1).

I haven't done the numbers, but our 76, 87 & 94 could come in as far as 56, 60 and 63.

It'll come in far more than that, IMO. A LOT of sides will pass at the backend - as evidenced by most phantoms I've seen/the consensus from most footy commentators that most sides will take only 2 or 3 picks max.

Wouldn't be surprised if they're all late 40's/early 50's, when all is said and done.
Also wouldn't be surprised to see us end up with a few sliders given how few picks there might be.

Reckon 60 and 63 come in even further with some teams only taking 2-3 picks.

Not much love for Neale here Shadow... I can't blame you though.

Fingers crossed by 2025 he is really breaking out.

It'll come in far more than that, IMO. A LOT of sides will pass at the backend - as evidenced by most phantoms I've seen/the consensus from most footy commentators that most sides will take only 2 or 3 picks max.

Wouldn't be surprised if they're all late 40's/early 50's, when all is said and done.
Also wouldn't be surprised to see us end up with a few sliders given how few picks there might be.
I disagree, the same thing was said last year or the season before because of covid.
Randal said it and it was still roughly the same as other years
I’m expecting high 50’s that pushes into the low 60’s

Not much love for Neale here Shadow... I can't blame you though.

Fingers crossed by 2025 he is really breaking out.

I still think he'll make it - I just don't think he'll be first choice if we have all of Caddy, O. Henry and Jez in the forward line. Will definitely play a fair few games if he continues his development/stays with us moving forward.

I disagree, the same thing was said last year or the season before because of covid.
Randal said it and it was still roughly the same as other years
I’m expecting high 50’s that pushes into the low 60’s

Well we'll know by end of tomorrow night!

Difference between those two drafts were that the previous ones weren't as impacted exposure wise by COVID - as most recruiters had seen a lot of tape/scouted footage from their underage years.

This draft is widely considered a crapshoot, and anything outside of the Top 15 or so kids in the open draft, is considered just as likely as anything at the back end. It's also heavily compromised by GC and F/S, and most recruiters have not been overly interested in trading back/trading from 2024 into 2023 - rather they're all trying to trade up and mostly failing.

Again though, be much clearer by the end of tomorrow. Could very well be wrong and see 60 kids taken - but I'm leaning more to early 50's than anything with a 6 in front of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

203cm? Bloody hell he has the reach of SDK/the King twins, then. With his agility, skills below his knees, and ability to play through the midfield, that makes things very interesting indeed.

I've been warming to him for a few weeks now, and I really liked his interview - seems like he has a really good head on his shoulders.

I hope we just take him tonight, or even get Adelaide or Essendon's pick plus another pick - and Caddy.

Easier to look forward to tonight knowing that worse case scenario is we end up with our next replacement key forward for the next decade in the next 6 hours.

If at least 1 (preferably 2) of J. Clark, Dempsey and Knevitt are not starting 18 by 2025 we are in real strife.

Wow. If Kolo is our CHB in 2025 then we're in big, big trouble.

This highlights for me the importance of getting another KPD to partner with SDK. Most sides these days have a couple of monster forwards, and SDK can't cover both. Henry & Kolo are too small, as is Stewart (and he is far more valuable as an interceptor anyway). We have no-one else now that Ratugolea is gone.

If not Curtin or O'Sullivan, then someone later in the draft.

Jezza, Neale and O Henry as marking forwards could definitely work once Hawk is gone, so while I definitely like the look of Caddy and would take him as the best available if Curtin isn't there at our pick, a KPD is a much bigger need IMO.

Last edited:
Curtin and his manager on Gettable interviewed just now. We weren't mentioned as a possible destination though Cal was speaking of the top of his head.
I've given up on that.

If things go the way people say, GWS will have lots of offers to consider for Curtin (pick 7). They'd almost be certain to take one of them, likely WCE F1, instead of taking the pick themselves

I've given up on that.

If things go the way people say, GWS will have lots of offers to consider for Curtin (pick 7). They'd almost be certain to take one of them, likely WCE F1, instead of taking the pick themselves

Apparently WCE have added this year's 2nd to their original future 1st offer. That would have to get it done, you'd think.

I've given up on that.

A couple of thoughts about the predictions ..

Sanders to the Bulldogs doesn't make a lot of sense to me, don't they require a key back ? They're already sorted in the MF.

GWS taking Leake instead of Curtin doesn't make much sense either.

WCE future first is nowhere near as valuable as taking Curtin right now. Bit like the saying money today is worth more than money tomorrow. The pick they take this year will get an extra year ahead in development and they can always trade him for a couple firsts in two years.

Why would you throw away something another team wants so badly, there's a good reason for it... and even then WCE future isn't guaranteed much better than pick 8 anyway.

Last edited:
On as side note I really hope we don't trade down if Caddy is available.
If you just look at the numbers in the top 12 picks... Key forwards are numerically much harder to come by in the draft. Granted it can be better off getting one years down the line once they're kicking 40+ goals, but that costs a number of high picks and the best forwards are usually locked down to large contracts. Caddy could be the next Charlie or Buddy IMO

Take Him! (but Curtin if available)

If that above trade eventuates and WCE land Curtin... then If the Dees are indeed taking Windsor then we should have the option of Caddy/COS.

I almost fully expect WCE to get Curtin one way or another and can't allow myself to get my hopes up.

If Curtin ends up a superstar and much better than the player we take I'll continue with my #damnyouporttohell hashtaging.

Anyway if the Dees take Windsor it's looking like Caddy "at worst" for us... assuming we want him.

Caddy and COS have looked like who we were going to land on (without trading back) for a long time now.

I won't be shattered if we get Caddy... He is a very exciting, potential high-end type... Although I think COS is a safe bet to be a very good long-term tall defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back