Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Not for us ...but I could see Melb looking at him.
Melbourne seems obvious. I'm not sure he's quite worth the money he's on, but they just just need to get a mature tall forward in.

As an aside, he reminds me a bit of Stanley. It's probably too late now, but I wonder if he could have been useful as a full-time ruck if a club had tried to turn him into that earlier in his career.

The key imo will be to have the age of our list in control by the time Tas starts ripping into the draft.

So if Tassie (for example) comes into the draft in 2027.

You'd imagine everyone in 2026 would be offering up their F1 (linked to the 2027 draft) for picks in 2026.

Those F1s in 2026 linked to 2027 might be going cheap as chips.

It'll be a bad time to be bottoming out for sure.

-
Good news to all Cats fans in that we no longer need to draft or trade, as according to Tom from Thomastown who's a passionate Geelong supporter, our re-build is now fully complete and although it may have taken a entire pre-season to accomplish we all know that time and tide waits for no man!

⚠️ Pre Podcast WARNING ⚠️ - Unfortunately Tom seems to have taken the news quite hard and is noticeably upset.

SEN Podcast that's been doing the rounds which no doubt a few have already heard but I did want to pass this on in it's rightful place being the draft and trade thread 'cos I think it's effen hilarious........ and GO CATS !!!

Starts at 47 seconds ⏩

Last edited:
So if Tassie (for example) comes into the draft in 2027.

You'd imagine everyone in 2026 would be offering up their F1 (linked to the 2027 draft) for picks in 2026.

Those F1s in 2026 linked to 2027 might be going cheap as chips.

It'll be a bad time to be bottoming out for sure.
It's not necessarily a death sentence.

In 2010 - the Gold Coast compromised draft - the bottom sides were Richmond and West Coast. Both went on to win flags in the next eight years.

In 2011 and 2012, Port Adelaide won all of 8 games across the two years. They went within a bee's dick, several times, of making a GF in the next decade.

I think players at sides like North reach a point where they have to make a professional decision. It sort of reminds me of Rivers when he came to us. Guys like Lake going to Haw show that making that choice can be rewarding

LDU next year reaches FRA. For him.. North being a cellar dweller will mean that RFA will be UFA. North will not match and risk a P2 or P3.

He might goes elsewhere. It has been reported that the Pies will be going hard at FA next year , after the North experience .. Id think its likely he will want his next destination to be somewhere there is money (obviously) but also big games and finals experiences. Im sure we will ask the question but so will the other big name Melb clubs. Maybe he likes living out of the Melb furnace. Sydney might appeal. We offer something few others can match. Big games and a relaxed environment. We will see.
From this side of the border, it seems as though the Crows are somewhat interested in LDU, too.

From this side of the border, it seems as though the Crows are somewhat interested in LDU, too.
He won't go there. If LDU leaves Norf, it's going to be to a club that's competing.

It's got nothing do with money, otherwise it would already be done. Norf can offer more $$$ than anybody.

A player can only take so much losing before they fall out of love with the game. I highly doubt he's going to roll the dice on an Adelaide or St Kilda after everything he's faced already.

Collingwood, Geelong, (or at a stretch as they don't really need him, Carlton, GWS, & Sydney) are the obvious choices.

Even if it all went to s**t at any of those options, he would be making the best informed decision at the time in terms of chasing success.

North should be grateful they still have a team!

Can’t believe they didn’t move them to Tassie, would have saved so much f’en around.

Disagree.

The Tassie Devils VFL was a successful VFL team in terms of crowds etc until they were aligned with North Melbourne. Then it fell over very quickly.

Tassie would never accept a team that is not their own.

Hawk was dominant. Larke medalist. Id say in an open draft he would not have got past Ess ..as they went tall.

Scarlettt was not even the highest rated Father son the year we took him. Woolnough was rated higher.

Ablett Jr...it would have been interesting where he would have gone. 2001 draft was about as good as it gets.
Hawk destroyed Gumbleton at KP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So where do we find out the actual rules regarding bonuses for 1st rounders these days?

When they changed it so first-rounders would be contracted for 3 years, I knew there had to be some kind of move that could be made with contracts so that gun first-rounders weren't dudded financially, but I just don't recall hearing any specifics.

Now it's starting to come out with Reid bonus talks.

Is this a thing for all first-rounders?

Just haven't been educated on it from what I can remember.

Schedule 2A

CATS OPEN TALKS ON FREE AGENT DEFENDER​

GEELONG has opened discussions on a fresh deal for premiership player Jack Henry, who is one of the few established key defenders on the free agency market this season.
The Cats will try to lock away two key pieces of their backline in the coming months in Henry and fellow free agent Jake Kolodjashnij, having already tied speedster Max Holmes to a four-year extension on Tuesday.

The club has been keen to tie Henry to a new deal following another impressive start to his year, with the 124-game player and 2022 premiership defender bound to attract significant rival interest as the campaign progresses.
However, speaking on AFL.com.au's trade and draft show Gettable this week, Henry's manager Tom McConville from Mac's Sports revealed that talks over a new deal for the 25-year-old were heading in the right direction.
"Talks are ongoing there and it looks pretty positive," McConville said.
"Jack obviously loves Geelong and Geelong rates Jack pretty highly as well in their system. Talks are ongoing, but it's moving in the right direction.
"Yeah, I'd say so (he's likely to stay) at this point. We're just finalising a few finishing pieces, but it should be good." – Riley Beveridge

The Same article says we're among the clubs interested in Elliot Yeo, but he's said he would prefer to stay with WCE.

He won't go there. If LDU leaves Norf, it's going to be to a club that's competing.

It's got nothing do with money, otherwise it would already be done. Norf can offer more $$$ than anybody.

A player can only take so much losing before they fall out of love with the game. I highly doubt he's going to roll the dice on an Adelaide or St Kilda after everything he's faced already.

Collingwood, Geelong, (or at a stretch as they don't really need him, Carlton, GWS, & Sydney) are the obvious choices.

Even if it all went to s**t at any of those options, he would be making the best informed decision at the time in terms of chasing success.

Tbf he’d be confident of winning 200% more games (at least) getting traded from north to literally any other club. So I think he might still be somewhat tempted by one of those middling clubs if they presented a decent offer.

But us and Collingwood also have a weaker midfield on paper than a lot of the middle clubs, so we make sense on both fronts.

Gee I'm so bloody glad we didn't get Jacob Hopper....

I wanted him.

Bruhn cheaper contract, cheaper draft capital, younger, and turns out better also. Did the club luck into it with Hopper not choosing us? Would Bruhn have been the collateral?
Hopper may have been a sugar hit in season 1 compared to Bruhn but I don’t think he adds much of a point of difference to our midfield. Bruhn will be the more dynamic player if he’s not already and gives us an extra 5 years minimum to ten years given Hopper looks to be shot. And at a bargain price. I didn’t mind Taranto but was never on the Hopper wagon, we dodged a bullet there.

Jack Henry close to re-signing on a 4 year deal. Love Jack. Hopefully his foot troubles are a thing of the past.

Melbourne seems obvious. I'm not sure he's quite worth the money he's on, but they just just need to get a mature tall forward in.

As an aside, he reminds me a bit of Stanley. It's probably too late now, but I wonder if he could have been useful as a full-time ruck if a club had tried to turn him into that earlier in his career.

Despite turner playing well tonight melb could use a fwd. Brown is finished and petty is average.

But lobb really isnt worth the $ hes on but melb might be desperate enough to do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back