Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

The question is really which one wants us … cause its probably unlikely that both say they would like to come.

But if they did, Im more thinking that we would try to get both deals done. Reading this on AFL, it sounds like clubs want to dip further into future picks to gets deals done. If we had two players like those wanting to come … my be we use what we can to get it done.

FUTURE TRADING EXPANSION​

CLUBS are hopeful their push for more freedom trading future draft picks will be introduced this year.

The AFL has sought feedback on clubs' views on trading further into the future beyond one year, with most clubs understood to be in favour of opening up more selections to be swapped.

Currently clubs can only trade their picks for the season they are in and one year in advance, although there are caveats on that, including having to hold future second and third-round picks to be allowed to trade a future first-round pick.

But as part of the League's competitive balance review and in meetings with all 18 clubs, the AFL has been open to considering options for more future picks being able to be swapped, with clubs keen to have more chips in their hand to make deals happen.

Different proposals have been put to the AFL on future trading, including a staggered approach that would allow clubs to trade all picks for two future years and then all picks bar a first-round selection being able to be traded in the third future year.

The ability to 'pick protect' for the second and third years of future trading – meaning there can be get-out clauses if a team finishes in a certain part of the ladder – has also been discussed. – Callum Twomey

Clubs need to be protected from their self

Clubs need to be protected from their self

Maybe. If clubs want to all line up for the Kool aid..then maybe we should stop them… but at what point are we going to stop protect idiots from themselves.

My really issue is it will be inflationary. if their are more futures available …then clubs will demand more in trades … and in the end you will not really have that much more trade collateral.

Posing a question here:

Bailey Smith or Archie Perkins?

Gotta weigh up role, injury history, attitude, off field influence, impact on game.
Plus they are both OOC so still have to do a trade, which means dealing with Rosa or Sam Power

If you could only pick one to grab for 2025 to add to our midfield who would it be?
We need contested ball winning power mid types. Perkins is a nice to have

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need 2-3 desperately.
Still holding out hope that knviet and Clark will be significantly better next year, as it stands Holmes needs to be in the middle and Danger and Guthrie are on their last legs so that’s a worry .

So yes we need 2 elite clearances beast in the middle next year .

Pure continues to advocate a ruck is our priority....

MIDS.

Quality MIDFIELDER.

Both. Stanley is cooked and should never play again. Blitz looks like hes fading and conway cant run out games.

Guthrie is injured or stuffed and the MF is weak ill give you that.

Get me a freaking ruck and a quality mid.

If you're bringing in a 21 year old like Perkins that's fine but I'm not sure we're in the list development stage to go hard at traded in mids unless they're genuine superstars.

I think we need to take our medicine a bit and get guys like Conway, Clark, Bruhn and Dempsey another 40 games and see where we're at.

Both. Stanley is cooked and should never play again. Blitz looks like hes fading and conway cant run out games.

I might be changing my tune bit on Conway. 76% game time and he kept on trucking.

We might be seeing the beginnings of match fitness

If you're bringing in a 21 year old like Perkins that's fine but I'm not sure we're in the list development stage to go hard at traded in mids unless they're genuine superstars.

I think we need to take our medicine a bit and get guys like Conway, Clark, Bruhn and Dempsey another 40 games and see where we're at.
I think we know where we're at. We're at a point where those guys need an elite ball winner to buy them some space to grow.

No. Not a ruck.
We have our future ruck.

MIDS.
MIDS.

MIDDDDDDDDDDS.

I think we know where we're at. We're at a point where those guys need an elite ball winner to buy them some space to grow.

And who is out there? I'm all for McCluggage if he's free but he's not really an inside ball winner. Smith was struggling to crack the dogs midfield before his AC so I don't see him miraculously solving our problems.

I think there are a lot of people looking for the quick fix and it isn't out there. We're more likely to get ourselves in trouble chasing fools gold.

But we've invested in the midfield. Holmes is a gun. Bruhn has shown a lot this year even if he struggled tonight. Clark has shown some great glimpses albeit he's not there yet. Dempsey showed he's miles above the level as a VFL mid last year. Conway looks a star in the making.

It's time to develop them and my bet is by 2026 nobody will be wishing we chased another mid this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back