Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're bringing in a 21 year old like Perkins that's fine but I'm not sure we're in the list development stage to go hard at traded in mids unless they're genuine superstars.

I think we need to take our medicine a bit and get guys like Conway, Clark, Bruhn and Dempsey another 40 games and see where we're at.

Yeah but if you can get midfield quality at a discount you would be silly not to as we did with bruhn and clark. It depends on what you think perkins will cost.

Here and now we at least need speed in the middle. Mullin and Holmes should be at every CBA even if both drop back during play. Add Danger and it’s at least not a procession coming out.

I agree on holmes 100 % and i dont mind trying mullin but mannagh is more experienced than mullin and has the speed so he should be playing.

Didn't he just play against us?

As the sub because they rested players. Unless he becomes a forward or back he will always be fringe as miller anderson rowell and flanders will always play mid ahead of him. I would be chasing him.

I might be changing my tune bit on Conway. 76% game time and he kept on trucking.

We might be seeing the beginnings of match fitness

He was better than i thought but he cant back up week to week and given the time big guys take he wont be at his peak until 2027/8 and dangerfield and cameron will be gone by then. We needed a ruck to match our window not one for 4 years from now. And we have been stubborn about not addressing it.

And who is out there? I'm all for McCluggage if he's free but he's not really an inside ball winner. Smith was struggling to crack the dogs midfield before his AC so I don't see him miraculously solving our problems.

I think there are a lot of people looking for the quick fix and it isn't out there. We're more likely to get ourselves in trouble chasing fools gold.

But we've invested in the midfield. Holmes is a gun. Bruhn has shown a lot this year even if he struggled tonight. Clark has shown some great glimpses albeit he's not there yet. Dempsey showed he's miles above the level as a VFL mid last year. Conway looks a star in the making.

It's time to develop them and my bet is by 2026 nobody will be wishing we chased another mid this year.
Don't underestimate the impact of bad coaching

As for not regretting chasing a mid, no matter what you think of Bruhn, Bowes, and Clark you can't teach breakaway pace. Holmes is the only one with it. The midfield will always be slow if we don't add something. The only player on the list I could see having the base level physical capacity to do it outside Holmes is Mullin.

As the sub because they rested players. Unless he becomes a forward or back he will always be fringe as miller anderson rowell and flanders will always play mid ahead of him. I would be chasing him.
Yeah he's pretty good. Get Bowes to give him a call

He was better than i thought but he cant back up week to week and given the time big guys take he wont be at his peak until 2027/8 and dangerfield and cameron will be gone by then. We needed a ruck to match our window not one for 4 years from now. And we have been stubborn about not addressing it.
I've always thought of him as a 2025 player. Let's see him a few more times before making the call.

I just think, yeah it's a problem, but there's a clear solution.

Inside BULL??
TOP 10 when up and going?
Free Agent?
Risk vs a Reward that could be HUGE?
Elliot YEO is a free agent.
Those who bagged the idea of Ollie Wines a year or two ago take note.
Not saying he is the panacea for all our woes.
But he would be handy in 25 & 26 with the youngsters we have going through the midfield.
Danger has a year left at most.
*Oh i must declare. Loved this bloke from day one a dozen years ago. hehe

Inside BULL??
Free Agent?
But he would be handy in 25 & 26 with the youngsters we have going through the midfield.
Would take a long deal or big money to move Yeo out of WA. Not worth it imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would take a long deal or big money to move Yeo out of WA. Not worth it imo
What are the other options is my next question.
A process of elimination of sorts.
Hugh McG? Not an inside bull. Again 1-1.2 mil per to pry out?
LDU ?? Not and inside Mid. Plus plenty of coin.

Left of centre options.

Can Zurhaar. 26yo 191/90kgs can he play inside? I think so. Motivation needed here IMO.
Ben Keays. 27yo bigger than our mids but not a Big Bull. underrated by plenty. We asked the question years ago.
Isaac Cumming. 25yo 188/85 ?? Playing in a deep midfield contingent. Jury out 4me.
Connor Nash. 25 198/94 ?? Love this guy. A better version of 2E ? Has plenty of upside. Big bastard.

Whisper of sorts.
Josh Battle from Saints. Inquires have been made. Decent defender only 25yo. Free Agent.
Liam Duggan again inquires have been made. Top 5 in the B&F 3 outta 4 years. Leader. Great addition for a team in transition?? Again a Free Agent.

Then of course there is Bailey SMITH.
Not an inside mid but would be a walk up start on the wing/pitch when the ball is bounced.

Left of centre options.

Can Zurhaar. 26yo 191/90kgs can he play inside? I think so. Motivation needed here IMO.
Ben Keays. 27yo bigger than our mids but not a Big Bull. underrated by plenty. We asked the question years ago.
Isaac Cumming. 25yo 188/85 ?? Playing in a deep midfield contingent. Jury out 4me.
Connor Nash. 25 198/94 ?? Love this guy. A better version of 2E ? Has plenty of upside. Big bastard.

Whisper of sorts.
Josh Battle from Saints. Inquires have been made. Decent defender only 25yo. Free Agent.
Liam Duggan again inquires have been made. Top 5 in the B&F 3 outta 4 years. Leader. Great addition for a team in transition?? Again a Free Agent.

Not an inside mid but would be a walk up start on the wing/pitch when the ball is bounced.
I'm not disagreeing that Yeo is a good list fit. He has a very good life set up out Eest and would take something very very compelling to get him over here.

The reaction to an embarrassing loss is always harsh.

The facts are GC are on a path to do that to many other teams over the next few years… they have talent to burn and now should be on a path to put it together. Imo we have to just focus on what we knew and what we know. Tas are coming in a few years so ..we need to have our list with a good age profile by 2027 to cover the years when they will suck dry the draft for two or three years. I dont think we we in a bad way at all. Demp and MaxH are good young types ..we just need more.

Hawkins is about to tip over… and we do not have an obvious replacement. Neale may or may work..but either way Hawk going means we need to to replace his spot. Any drafted kid will be years away. Do we cover his spot for now with a mature FA type… or just draft and kid and develop/hope he is good enough?

Stanley to is about to tip over but at least we do have some obvious replacements. Not exactly ready but ready enough for afl. Stanley going means we need to replace his spot. Considering our other needs ..is there any advanatge to chasing a big name? I dont think so. So ..do we cheap trade in someone look for a chance like the Ess ruck ..or do we draft another one to develop and just suck up a bit of short term pain while we get conway to 50 games?

Then we have Danger and others. Compared to several teams we have a bare group of hopeful young mids. Some will work some will fall short. Pretty obvious that we just need to add as much quality as we can. Be great to drop in a high end kid …this years potential number 1 is 194cm mid. Will not happen but we might be able to drop in a ready to play… and maybe another Bruhn type who has done his first years and is ready to play.

I dont see any over reactionary changes at years end. We will stick to what ever plan they have and it will depend on who agrees to come to us… just like Bruhn basically happened cause we missed out on Hopper.

Last edited:
Inside BULL??
Free Agent?
Yeo is having a baby I doubt he will move just for a year or two and anyway he’s 30 years old I would rather we target a younger player if we can

Yeo is having a baby I doubt he will move just for a year or two and anyway he’s 30 years old I would rather we target a younger player if we can
I used to be the same until our experiment with Isaac Smith.
2 great years without sacrificing any draft collateral sounds better the more i look back at the Isaac Smith acquisition.

Inside BULL??
Free Agent?

Unless something has changed …its a bit like with Goldstein. We were interested last year…and he was not. His other half is expecting. IF he signalled that he was interested …then of course we would look at him.

Left of centre options.

Whisper of sorts.

It gets down to if we are going try to add a difference maker is it just the continuation of transition of the list. Zurhar is wild card that could blow up in your face or look inspired if he could develop into a mid.
Nash big and quick and a FA but how good?
Cumming on the HB line would add something one would think.
Battle has played both ends hasn’t he?

The trick is not just add because you can but be selective. I trust the club to pull the right lever.

I'd be fine with just rucking Neale if it got us an extra mid on the list
I think we've been at crossed topics.

My talk about the ruck being a huge issue was that we needed Conway to replace Stanley this year, and that we simply needed a cheap backup option for next year.

Not that we should prioritise recruiting Gawn and Darcy over Smith and Perkins.'

I'm sort of chuckling right now realising this is what people thought I meant.

Inside BULL??
Free Agent?
Danger doesn't have a year left as an inside bull. He has spells within games left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back