Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

What I fear is what we may be tempted to do…

AFL CONSIDERS EXPANDED FUTURE TRADING

THE AFL will seriously consider allowing clubs to trade multiple years into the future as part of the League's all-encompassing competitive balance review.

As Inside Trading reported last week, clubs had been hopeful of winning greater flexibility to complete trades as part of the League's review into player movement mechanisms, with expanded future trading among the changes expected to be introduced.

Since 2015, clubs have been able to trade one year in advance with a series of guardrails in place. However, the AFL is now considering allowing teams to trade picks two or three years from the time of the deal, with the potential to bring in the change to this off-season.

Speaking to AFL.com.au's trade and draft show Gettable this week, the League's head of football performance, list management and engagement Ned Guy said it was among the recommendations being considered.

"There's a good chance we go down that path," Guy said.
It should be this way anyway IMO, like the NBA & NFL.

Stop protecting teams and make the clubs accountable for themselves, and don't help them if/when they f**k it up.

That's the only barrier here that would stop this from working, inevitable priority picks & support down the line when it goes wrong.

It's the clubs' decision, we already have a draft system that rewards incompetence.

If you want to punt on your future and it goes wrong, that's your decision, and you have to get yourselves out of it.

Would add an extra element to the game IMO, we'd find out even more who the well run clubs are, and the cream would truly rise to the top in that regard, as it should.

The only way we can get Harley Reid in a trade is if we involve Swans I reckon. My rough idea:

Chad Warner is a WA boy. Is a high end mid/forward, not like for like with Reid, but with some draft picks they might entertain the idea.
Reid is a Cats fan/Vic boy.
COS is from the Murray. Swans need a Key Defender.

Cats send COS + "some picks to Swans"
Swans send Warner + one of the Cats picks to WCE
WCE send Reid to Cats.

What is "some picks" though? We'd be getting off light if it was 2024 2nd rounder + 2025 2nd rounder and potentially some 3rd and 4ths. But it might take a 1st round pick that must be sent to WCE.

The other option is we send one of our plethora of small forwards in the package - probably Mannagh.

Stop protecting teams and make the clubs accountable for themselves, and don't help them if/when they f**k it up.

That's the only barrier here that would stop this from working, inevitable priority picks & support down the line when it goes wrong.

It's the clubs' decision, we already have a draft system that rewards incompetence.

If you want to punt on your future and it goes wrong, that's your decision, and you have to get yourselves out of it.

Would add an extra element to the game IMO, we'd find out even more who the well run clubs are, and the cream would truly rise to the top in that regard, as it should.

.. and can understand that pov. I could almost agree with it …if clubs were truely held accountable but they would not be held accountable.

The AFL is ts a comp that based around safety nets ..Why have a sal cap/ Go back to 1987 and half the comp was broke.

I like the idea of "Let every club just be responsible”… its an expansion of getting rid of the 2 R1s in every four years ..but we know from history that there would be some people in charge of clubs who would sell their mother to a boast load of 12 months at sea sailors if it got them a player they thought would get them a flag.

… and when it goes pear shaped…. it will not be …well just suck it up… you did to your self. It will be just like clubs that have cleared players out for picks and then ask/get help.

The only way we can get Harley Reid in a trade is if we involve Swans I reckon. My rough idea:

Chad Warner is a WA boy. Is a high end mid/forward, not like for like with Reid, but with some draft picks they might entertain the idea.

WCE send Reid to Cats.

What is "some picks" though? We'd be getting off light if it was 2024 2nd rounder + 2025 2nd rounder and potentially some 3rd and 4ths. But it might take a 1st round pick that must be sent to WCE.

The other option is we send one of our plethora of small forwards in the package - probably Mannagh.
We can always dream.

COS and some nothing picks (maybe a first rounder.. maybe a VFL player in Mannagh) for Harley Reid.

Sydney would be getting triple bent over in this deal.

We would have to move at least one high end player out to get the picks to satisfy wce (we have the cash not picks) and i dont see us doimg that.
By this stage, the AFL will have introduced greater flexibility with future pick trading (both 1 and 2 years into the future). This should allow us to provide the necessary trade capital.

WCE send Reid to Cats.

I’ll give you this …if WC could get Warner from the trade ..they might do it.

WCE send Reid to Cats.

Even COS and 2 first rounders wouldn’t get near Reid at this stage.

Clubs were offering the equivalent last year and WCE said no. Can’t imagine they’ve changed their mind given how well he’s started.

WCE send Reid to Cats.

Swans have already drafted Warner's brother to keep him in Sydney + he's contracted. He's not leaving.

What I fear is what we may be tempted to do…

AFL CONSIDERS EXPANDED FUTURE TRADING

THE AFL will seriously consider allowing clubs to trade multiple years into the future as part of the League's all-encompassing competitive balance review.

As Inside Trading reported last week, clubs had been hopeful of winning greater flexibility to complete trades as part of the League's review into player movement mechanisms, with expanded future trading among the changes expected to be introduced.

Since 2015, clubs have been able to trade one year in advance with a series of guardrails in place. However, the AFL is now considering allowing teams to trade picks two or three years from the time of the deal, with the potential to bring in the change to this off-season.

Speaking to AFL.com.au's trade and draft show Gettable this week, the League's head of football performance, list management and engagement Ned Guy said it was among the recommendations being considered.

"There's a good chance we go down that path," Guy said.

Eagles will want at least one top 5 pick and multiple in top 10 which we wont have.

WCE send Reid to Cats.

Sydney are not trading warner unless forced.

By this stage, the AFL will have introduced greater flexibility with future pick trading (both 1 and 2 years into the future). This should allow us to provide the necessary trade capital.

Unless you think we will finish bottom 6 it doesnt really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles will want at least one top 5 pick and multiple in top 10 which we wont have.

When contracted? Sure they are going to be the immoveable object id have thought.

I highly doubt that we will be able to obtain or offer anything that will move WC. It would have to come from HR ..and that at them moment seems unlikely. He looks nothing like JHF.

Eagles will go scorched earth they would have to do that to save face with the fans the cost for Reid will be a bridge way too far for the club to handle imo
Just cant see how the Eagles…who flew against plenty of commentary to draft him , and now having seen what he can do, seen what he does to their side would become a wilted lettuce if a trade was requested.

What id fear is what that would do for the player over there .. if a trade is requested then cant be worked out. Could make things very difficult.

Eagles will go scorched earth they would have to do that to save face with the fans the cost for Reid will be a bridge way too far for the club to handle imo
Agreed. A lot of pressure to trade down for multiple early picks from the media and supporters pre draft. They drafted him regardless and he looks generational and just about single handedly made then relevant again. Would take a scary amount of draft capital to pry him free

I think if you try and slice up QLD 18 ways, there wouldn’t be much point/incentive for each club to invest because their share would be so small for starters.

I’m comfortable with the academies. The Victorian clubs benefit from father sons that they don’t have access to by virtue of not having ex-players that are old enough to have draftee aged children yet. It’s just about making sure they pay a fair price for the talent.
You can absolutely slice up NSW 18 ways. The place has 5million plus population, so i am sure we can work it out.

Other option is half in sydney thr other half in QLD. Each with equal population divide ups. The main goal is to pry them away from rugby union. The region geelong got for its academy was a laugh and was never going to produce anything.

You can absolutely slice up NSW 18 ways. The place has 5million plus population, so i am sure we can work it out.

Other option is half in sydney thr other half in QLD. Each with equal population divide ups. The main goal is to pry them away from rugby union. The region geelong got for its academy was a laugh and was never going to produce anything.
I often talk with a mate of mine about the Geelong academy. The indigenous kids we have on the list have pretty all fallen out of other academies

Parfitt - port
Stengle - port
Bowes - suns
Humphries - West coast

If it wasn't for them falling through by whatever means we'd be about as indigenous as a Klan meeting

Would say North offer multiple futures? They have a large stock on first rounders on board now, so giving up this year's first plus following two years would not hurt and Reid would top off the rebuild.

Then they use seconds and thirds for role players for three years.

Interesting.

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I often talk with a mate of mine about the Geelong academy. The indigenous kids we have on the list have pretty all fallen out of other academies

Parfitt - port
Stengle - port
Bowes - suns
Humphries - West coast

If it wasn't for them falling through by whatever means we'd be about as indigenous as a Klan meeting
Oh well they don't count then.

Oh well they don't count then.
We're doing this a lot lately aren't we? Living in the universes that don't actually exist.

Did Bobby Hill grow up down the road from Vic Park? Cyril & Buddy just hung out at Glenferrie in their spare time? Kozzy Pickett lived in an investment property in Toorak as a kid did he?

What are we even talking about? The Indigenous boys have almost exclusively been from the NT, Northern WA/SA, or the Tiwi Islands through the years.

For whatever reason, that's just the way it's happened.

It's the same case for every club. There's nothing inherently different with us where our boys aren't Geelong locals, it's the same everywhere.

How can we improve it?

Will it harm our organisation if we continue to make smart acquisitions from other academies?
Well my understanding is it's in a part of the NT that doesn't really have football infrastructure. To get a kid from there playing footy you need them to move away, after which they're no longer in our zone. Plus I think the population was like 30k there last I looked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back