Hawks to exit Tassie after 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Would there be any chance that we'd be able to incorporate a suitable stadium at Dingley with a capacity of say 50,000+ at all?

Could it possibly be a good way to recover some of the funds we spend on it initially?

Could be totally wrong, just a thought.
If we have a space $600mill, then, yes. In Sydney they are spending $730mill to rebuild Allianz Stadium for 45,000 capacity.
Let's not even go down that track. It is not even a remote possibility.

Maybe keep 1 home game in tassie so we play against Tasmania 2 times in tassie. The AFL probably wouldn't allow it because they are depending on hawthorn supporters to abandon the club for a tassie team.

I'd suspect Hawthorn would certainly get Away games v a Tasmanian side. So would North. We'd only play Tassie in Melbourne if we doubled up.
As for memberships, there'd be a whole bunch of Tasmanians who'd buy some level of membership to nominally support the Team and go to a few matches a year, but most supporters aren't going to ditch their existing memberships entirely.

The biggest issue atm here is the s**t show that is Tasmanian Football.

Why on earth would we want home games at Marvel?!
We wouldn't, but the reality is we will have them whether we like them or not. Nobody is immune, Tiger and Pies have home games there.

AFL is going to look after the AFL and they own Marvel now.

We wouldn't, but the reality is we will have them whether we like them or not. Nobody is immune, Tiger and Pies have home games there.

AFL is going to look after the AFL and they own Marvel now.

Notwithstanding we have the second best record in the competition (after Geelong) at the venue...

45-1-29

Besides are our crowds even that poor at Docklands?

Since 2012 we have played the following Docklands home games;

Round 12 2013 Hawthorn v West Coast 32,527
Round 21, 2015 Hawthorn v Port Adelaide 28,857
Round 23 2017 Hawthorn v W Bulldogs 48,090
Round 10, 2018 Hawthorn v West Coast 28,077

None of those games would have lost us money at Marvel Stadium, under the current or the previous stadium deals.

Now is to time to cut our losses and negotiate a 7/4 or favourable 6/5 MCG / Marvel Stadium deal

Notwithstanding we have the second best record in the competition (after Geelong) at the venue...

45-1-29

Besides are our crowds even that poor at Docklands?

Since 2012 we have played the following Docklands home games;

Round 12 2013 Hawthorn v West Coast 32,527
Round 21, 2015 Hawthorn v Port Adelaide 28,857
Round 23 2017 Hawthorn v W Bulldogs 48,090
Round 10, 2018 Hawthorn v West Coast 28,077

None of those games would have lost us money at Marvel Stadium, under the current or the previous stadium deals.

Now is to time to cut our losses and negotiate a 7/4 or favourable 6/5 MCG / Marvel Stadium deal
Cut our losses?
What losses?

Cut our losses?
What losses?

Sorry, perhaps wrong phrase...

Now is the time to get over the hang ups at Docklands and recognise that there is a strong chance that the Tasmanian sponsorship won't be renewed and instead look to negotiate a proper stadium agreement with Docklands (where our reserve seat holders actually get reserve seats in the stadium)

11 home games at the MCG and Marvel Stadium is much more reasonable then a home game at Kardina Park (which is 100km away from our major membership base)

Better???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

* that. I hate going there, the players hate playing there and I dare say the conditioning staff work overtime to get players up for games the following week. It's an awful clusterf#ck of a stadium

**** that. I hate going there, the players hate playing there and I dare say the conditioning staff work overtime to get players up for games the following week. It's an awful clusterf#ck of a stadium

Our record is actually better at Docklands then the MCG. Which is pretty remarkable given 95% of our games at the venue are away games against Docklands tenant clubs.

Also, if you look at our MCG and Docklands home games over the last 3-4 years there is very little difference in attendance between the stadiums (we just play low drawing interstate clubs and we dont get an MCC / AFL members boost).

The games have been consistently 28,000 to 32,000 (which would turn the club a small profit) which is decent given we don't have any reserve seat access at the venue.

I'm just saying its not 1999 or 2003 anymore, if we could get reserve seating for the 25,000 or members that have seats at the MCG the attendances could be even better...

Our record is actually better at Docklands then the MCG. Which is pretty remarkable given 95% of our games at the venue are away games against Docklands tenant clubs.
My argument there would be they are tenant clubs of a second string ground because they're second string clubs - hence our good record.

If we are forced to have 3-4 games at Marvel we should lobby to have them scheduled against the same interstate teams that we now play in Tassie. No way would we want to play those teams on the MCG or play home games at Marvel against other Marvel tenants.
Gil licking his lips to give us GC, Freo, GWS and Brisbane in the middle of winter at 4:40 on a Sunday evening

My argument there would be they are tenant clubs of a second string ground because they're second string clubs - hence our good record.

4 Grand Finalists (Ess 2001, St K 2009-10, WB 2016)
10 Prelim Finalists (NM 2000, 2007, 2014-15, WB 2008-10, St K 2004-05, 2008)

I’m just saying it’s something to consider.

Only Geelong has a better record at the stadium (64-1-31)

And if you going to compare apples with apples Docklands is the 3rd largest venue in Australia. We have played 75 games at the venue and drawn an average of 36,686 to games at the venue (including 3 finals).

By comparison York Park is the 3rd smallest permanent AFL venue. We have played 60 matches at the venue (46-1-13) and have drawn 15,413 to games at the venue. We will never play a final at the venue.

I understand that Docklands is no MCG but is now fully owned by the AFL and will soon undergo another redevelopment. It’s also a venue that is on a major train line in the fastest growing city in Australia where the vast majority of our membership and support growth over the last 20 to 30 years has been drawn from.

We will never get 11 MCG home games so cutting our losses (or being realistic about our options) and negotiating a stadium deal is our best option. Certainly better then playing in Darwin, NZ, Geelong or Canberra

Leave the gypsy carovan to North Melbourne, the Saints, Melbourne and Foostcray

We have the second best dock lands winning ratio at 61% Geelong top
Second best at York park 77%. Sydney top 1 game 1 win
Best record at MCG 68%. And defunct Waverley 66%

When you compare our record under the Clarkson era between the MCG, Docklands and York Park there isn’t too much in it. I guess we don’t beat up on the weaker non Victorian clubs as much in Melbourne

The thought is once there are 20 teams, each plays each of the others once per season.

So for a Melbourne team, it’s one trip each to wa sa nsw qld and one of the new teams. 5 in all. The other 5 played once at home when they visit.

That leaves 9 against Melbourne teams, split between “home” and “away” this season that category is 7 mcg 4 docklands

I’d say we end up with 9 mcg. 5 docklands 5 travel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back