Opinion Home Ground Advantage - when are we going to gain it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Racism, homophobia et al is seriously harmful behaviour, it often wrecks victims for life, regardless of whether the perpetrator personally considers their (completely unnecessary) actions to be racist, homophobic etc. Frankly their (i.e. your) intent or opinion on the matter is f@&king irrelevant. It also shows a lack of intelligence and imagination IMO, but that’s just a side gripe of mine.

Anyway if you don’t want to see the obvious folly of your position that’s your business, but equally it’s not my job to hold a big red arrow pointing towards it.

Racism, homophobia et al, yes, are all bad and stupid. We agree on this. It is a non-issue between us. Still, we are back to the point whether there awould be differences between "being" and "seeming to be."

You say that intent is irrelevant. So, if I understood you, a big 'if,' a difference between "seeming to be" and "being" would also be irrelevant. Appearance would be all that matters. Is that it?

Or would the consequence also be a measure? So, regardless of the appearance, depending on the result, an act could also be punishable.

Please, correct me where I have got it wrong. I certainly do lack intelligence and imagination. That's precisely why I try to think with the help of others more intelligent and more imaginative than me.

If you're demeaning someone by calling them a ******, you're dreaming an entire group of people by association to being something negative, and that's not cool.

I hope we get to a time when it isn't insulting because heterosexual people aren't insulted by it anymore.

Sent from mTalk

Racism, homophobia et al, yes, are all bad and stupid. We agree on this. It is a non-issue between us. Still, we are back to the point whether there awould be differences between "being" and "seeming to be."

You say that intent is irrelevant. So, if I understood you, a big 'if,' a difference between "seeming to be" and "being" would also be irrelevant. Appearance would be all that matters. Is that it?

Or would the consequence also be a measure? So, regardless of the appearance, depending on the result, an act could also be punishable.

Please, correct me where I have got it wrong. I certainly do lack intelligence and imagination. That's precisely why I try to think with the help of others more intelligent and more imaginative than me.

It’s not about appearance, it’s not even about particular words, it’s about the impact. Your intent is irrelevant to the victim if they feel excluded, shamed, threatened or whatever by what you say. Whether you personally consider yourself to be a racist or homophobe etc is beside the point. The damage has been done regardless.

Anyway we’ve derailed the bejeezus out of this thread so that’s the last I’ll say on it. I don’t think my bleeding heart leftie commie pinko talk will help us regain home ground advantage nor the rebuttal.

I'm not perfect and a NTTAWWT still slips now and again (hearing uncle fella use it regularly has tricked my brain in to thinking it's not a gay slur) but I recognise it's hurt. It's not about calling a player a homosexual to put him off his game. It's about his wife and kids in the crowd, his kids who might struggling with their identity, being put off football forever by hearing it.

I heard my dad called ever racist, homophobic slur under the sun together with threats to his safety, his integrity, his ability, his character... There's lines. They get crossed. It would be nice if they didn't.

Then again people in certain continents murder refs, so could be worse.

Sent from mTalk

Never heard that one.

The Betty White I know is 90 years old and would be quite upset to be compared to the Hoff.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
As Betty White says on grow some balls, versus being called a pussy. The insult is not the latter.

Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.

As Betty White says on grow some balls, versus being called a pussy. The insult is not the latter.

Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.
I think I have posted a picture of her with that quote somewhere on Bigfooty in 2017.

GremioPower apologies for being aggressive and dismissive towards you ITT. I stand by what I said, but on reflection I think my delivery was a bit s**t. Impatience is creeping in lately and it’s something I need to pull myself up on.

All the best for the new year bruv. :thumbsu:

No need to apologize! Offense not taken. Temperature can rise during a debate. Friendships are measured by the capacity to hold the heat without melting apart.

Still, I decided not to read your posts yesterday, because I felt I was pushing you too hard, and, for that I am sorry. It was affecting me as well, and I realized we have lost the conversation (the act of moving/thinking together).

My posts are sincere, though. I do love to learn through others, and I always find everyone more knowledgeable than I am. However, I am having trouble understanding you, Pappagallo , and I am not sure I am being able to make myself understood.

Would you like to start over (elsewhere)? I would need to re-read the debate. I missed your point somewhere...

No need to apologize! Offense not taken. Temperature can rise during a debate. Friendships are measured by the capacity to hold the heat without melting apart.

Still, I decided not to read your posts yesterday, because I felt I was pushing you too hard, and, for that I am sorry. It was affecting me as well, and I realized we have lost the conversation (the act of moving/thinking together).

My posts are sincere, though. I do love to learn through others, and I always find everyone more knowledgeable than I am. However, I am having trouble understanding you, Pappagallo , and I am not sure I am being able to make myself understood.

Would you like to start over (elsewhere)? I would need to re-read the debate. I missed your point somewhere...

Nah I’m back at work now so time has euthanized this one.

Besides I’m sure you could better contribute to this thread with some Brazilian football supporter tips and tricks for enhancing home ground advantage (sans weapons). Fans seem to get half naked a lot, does this help?

Nah I’m back at work now so time has euthanized this one.

Besides I’m sure you could better contribute to this thread with some Brazilian football supporter tips and tricks for enhancing home ground advantage (sans weapons). Fans seem to get half naked a lot, does this help?

I already posted some tips. Here, those and some others: painting the visitor's lockerroom the day before the game; buliding the visitor's lockerroom under the section with the most passionate supporters; having only hot water in the visitor's lockerroom; wetting the playing surface after the visitor's practice; fireworks during all the night previous to the game at the visitor's hotel; corridor of fans around the visitor's bus when arriving at the stadium; etc.

MCG - 160 metres x 141 metres
AO - 168 metres x 124 metres
Etihad - 159.5 metres x 128.8 metres
Geelong - 170 metres x 115 metres
SCG - 149 metres x 136 metres
Gabba - 156 metres x 138 metres

We will always play 12 H&A games at AO. And with luck at least 1 final. Etihad is close enough to AO in size. Geelong a bit narrower, but a plan for AO, should work as well there. It's the MCG, SCG and Gabba that are more circular than the other grounds. Given we get most of our Melbourne games at Etihad, make sure our plan holds up at AO (/Etihad) and that's a plan that's good for 15-16 games a year. Tweak as required for the other grounds, not start with one that is optimised for the MCG.

Though any of it should just be tweaking, our issues have been mental and skill based, not the game plan being so much better or worse on different grounds.
Geelong also has an added advantage at its home games - their own umpires.....

I already posted some tips. Here, those and some others: painting the visitor's lockerroom the day before the game; buliding the visitor's lockerroom under the section with the most passionate supporters; having only hot water in the visitor's lockerroom; wetting the playing surface after the visitor's practice; fireworks during all the night previous to the game at the visitor's hotel; corridor of fans around the visitor's bus when arriving at the stadium; etc.
Only having cold water in the visitor's showers is an old tradition in footy. I think it's now frowned upon in these pc-gone-mad times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only having cold water in the visitor's showers is an old tradition in footy. I think it's now frowned upon in these pc-gone-mad times

Cold water is so lame compared to hot water. That's just plain nasty but I love it.

Haha so its just not Peruvian's trying to upset New Zealanders who do this.

The AFL's list of the best games of 2017 rubs in our lack of home ground advantage. We are at number 1 and it is the elimination final against West Coast. Had we not started so badly and even if we had just kicked slightly better towards the end I doubt if this would be in the top 5.

We're still ripe for the plucking for teams keen to make a name for themselves like we always have been. I don't even think it's really an Adelaide Oval thing. We lose close games because we lack a killer instinct to seize the moment and kill a team off.

The misses in the last quarter today with the game on the line were diabolical. Somebody f***ing stand up and seal it you campaigners.

If INXS has any tangible effect, and it's a big if, could you imagine how impotent the club would be at home if it wasn't a thing?

We have a reasonable home crowd i'd say, but teams know that if they can stay close to us down the stretch they can snatch a game because we absolutely will not rip the game out of their hands if it's close late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back