Opinion Is Josh Jenkins in our best 22?

Is Josh Jenkins in our best 22?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Stevens and Jenkins genuinely improve the team if they are fit and their heads are in it. Jenkins would have made a massive difference in the Prelim, significantly better forward than Henderson ever will be, and kicks more goals than Esava could. It means we actually have multiple key forwards who could kick 4+ goals in a match now, instead of relying on Hawk to kick 3 and see who else decides to bob up.
Means you have Hawkins at FF, Esava at CHF, and then you have Miers, Dahl and Atkins as your small pressure forwards. Having Jenkins down there, especially when Esava is in the ruck while Stanley gets a breather, means we keep our structure of two marking talls. Add in that Jenkins is insanely mobile for a big guy and we don't lose too much.

And as I said else where, we NEVER seem to get Joe the goose goals. Other teams get those easy goals. We now have a player who is good for a good chunk of those each season because of his work rate. How good would one of those been when the match was tight last year in any of those finals when it was close?

I'm hoping for more than 12 for Jenkins...if he and Hawkins manage to work together, its a pretty dangerous combination, especially with Ablett, Miers, Atkins, Steven etc around the fall of the ball....

Thought both Jenkins and Tex were several Ks over their ideal playing weight this year. That adversely affected their mobility. If Jenkins gets into some real condition he could be a 30 goal forward. And I say that as someone who wasn't keen on getting him.

Thought both Jenkins and Tex were several Ks over their ideal playing weight this year. That adversely affected their mobility. If Jenkins gets into some real condition he could be a 30 goal forward. And I say that as someone who wasn't keen on getting him.

One look at his highlighst tells you that ..at least at one stage he could do more than he did in 2019... can he still do it ..get fit and we will see I guess

Last edited:

Depending on the number of games he manages obviously I'd be hoping for more then thirty myself, apart from his first season he's averaged two goals a game for seven years on the trot, so no reason to think he can't continue to do so.

I think he will have a good year I think he wants to prove too people and old club he still has it
He was always on the outer this season for them. As much as Tex's form was warranted questionable, they were never going to drop him. Added pressure was for "the fog" Darcy Fogarty to be played more next season, so the writing was on the wall despite JJ's contract.

Last edited:
what's the pass mark for JJ .... 10 games in 2020 ?
Remain fit,hold down a key forward post and straighten us up going inside 50,30 sausage rolls would be good but if he's bringing the pill to ground and gives opportunities to the cumbers that's OK as well.

I don't know why we couldn't use Hawkins and Jenkins as our two KPFs and turn Estava into our No.1 ruckman, and hopefully turn him into our version of NicNat.

Maybe we should try Estava as our first ruck, and then he can change with Jenkins from time to time. So I would suggest dropping Stanley.

Try it in the JLT Series, where it won't hurt us. If it doesn't work, nothing lost. If it works, it makes us more dangerous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why we couldn't use Hawkins and Jenkins as our two KPFs and turn Estava into our No.1 ruckman, and hopefully turn him into our version of NicNat.

Maybe we should try Estava as our first ruck, and then he can change with Jenkins from time to time. So I would suggest dropping Stanley.

Try it in the JLT Series, where it won't hurt us. If it doesn't work, nothing lost. If it works, it makes us more dangerous.
Esava is that teasing height 197cm great KP height,his leap and second effort may see him as a more than useful second ruck but just can't see him as the number one banana in the ruck long term.

I would absolutely be up for this. As it stands, Stanley has some great games but sometimes is just far too unreliable.

Hawkins thinks they can play all 3 ( Sav, Hawkins, Jenkins ) in the same line up

The 31-year-old believes Jenkins can function in a forward line that also includes exciting young spearhead Esava Ratugolea.
"I certainly think adding Josh to our list has strengthened it. Having small conversations with him, he feels like the last couple of years with his ankle he hasn't quite been able to do what he wanted over pre-season, so he gets a full run at it and our footy club gives him a lot of confidence," he said.
"We as players feel like he can help us. He's a pretty flexible player; he can play in the ruck, as a high half-forward and I think where his strength lies is where he plays deep forward, he's really crafty in front of goal.
"He's really powerful, he's quite nimble for such a big guy, that's probably what surprised me, how big he actually is in terms of tall and broad through the shoulders and thick legs. He'll be a bit of a handful. Hopefully for his sake, he can get a full run at pre-season."

Hawkins thinks they can play all 3 ( Sav, Hawkins, Jenkins ) in the same line up

The 31-year-old believes Jenkins can function in a forward line that also includes exciting young spearhead Esava Ratugolea.
"I certainly think adding Josh to our list has strengthened it. Having small conversations with him, he feels like the last couple of years with his ankle he hasn't quite been able to do what he wanted over pre-season, so he gets a full run at it and our footy club gives him a lot of confidence," he said.
"We as players feel like he can help us. He's a pretty flexible player; he can play in the ruck, as a high half-forward and I think where his strength lies is where he plays deep forward, he's really crafty in front of goal.
"He's really powerful, he's quite nimble for such a big guy, that's probably what surprised me, how big he actually is in terms of tall and broad through the shoulders and thick legs. He'll be a bit of a handful. Hopefully for his sake, he can get a full run at pre-season."

This guy could be the game changer we've lacked up forward since Podsiadly.
Massive threat to any defence, that's what we've unfortunately lacked for years.
Not just Hawkins but thankfully Dangerfield knew that was a big weakness.

Last edited:
But he's still our best ruckman by a comfortable distance.
At his best, yes, but I think its worth seeing with Esava. Taller than Jeff White, who had to go up against monster ruckmen as well. Nothing to suggest Esava couldn't become an elite ruck if we got the right coach.

This guy could be the game changer we've lacked up forward since Podsiadly.
Massive threat to any defence, that's what we've unfortunately lacked for years.
Not just Hawkins but thankfully Dangerfield knew that was a big weakness.

Yep, Hawkins, Ottens, West and Podsiadly. Four talls between forward and ruck can definitely work.

Richmond play two rucks and two tall forwards.

The reality is that the best 22 will select themselves. Then injury will change that look. The good thing is that we bat very deep this year for AFL players.

Yep, Hawkins, Ottens, West and Podsiadly. Four talls between forward and ruck can definitely work.

Richmond play two rucks and two tall forwards.

The reality is that the best 22 will select themselves. Then injury will change that look. The good thing is that we bat very deep this year for AFL players.
That's spot on... Even thou footy has changed so much, most premier's always have 4 talls eg 1 main ruck, a back Ruck, and 2 main talls...
I can see us playing all 4 through out the year ( Stanley, Sav, Jenkins, Hawkins..

Esava is that teasing height 197cm great KP height,his leap and second effort may see him as a more than useful second ruck but just can't see him as the number one banana in the ruck long term.

Maybe then we give equal time to Estava and Jenkins in the ruck, and swing them between CHF and ruck at different times during the game.

At his best, yes, but I think its worth seeing with Esava. Taller than Jeff White, who had to go up against monster ruckmen as well. Nothing to suggest Esava couldn't become an elite ruck if we got the right coach.
Ruckman were smaller in whites time. They are a good 5 cm taller now. Esava is too short.

Back