Traded Izak Rankine traded to Adelaide with #46 & F4 (Freo) for #5, F3 & F4

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs to spend some time in the twos and build up some form and confidence. He’s been gifted too many games, when we’ve got other players killing it in the reserves trying to get a spot. Ben Ainsworth got dropped mid last year, came back in after a few weeks and started to play some good footy. Now he’s having a career best year.

Gold Coast need to make an example of this kid and drop him to the 2's. It sets a bad example and fosters a poor culture by allowing him to lazily run around in the A's. Others busting a gut , trying to break in , must be getting pissed off and this discontent starts to spread thru squad. He needs major kick up the backside...

Gold Coast need to make an example of this kid and drop him to the 2's. It sets a bad example and fosters a poor culture by allowing him to lazily run around in the A's. Others busting a gut , trying to break in , must be getting pissed off and this discontent starts to spread thru squad. He needs major kick up the backside...
speculating here but could that be (what you raised) because they are desperate to not lose him and think by dropping him in his contract year he might say he wants to leave? I mean that is pure speculation but gee if there happened to be any truth to it, it would set a terrible example within the club

speculating here but could that be (what you raised) because they are desperate to not lose him and think by dropping him in his contract year he might say he wants to leave? I mean that is pure speculation but gee if there happened to be any truth to it, it would set a terrible example within the club
If that was remotely true, then you might as well fold GC now , as they will never achieve any standards or success if they are too scared to drop a star recruit based on fears of losing them. Also if that was the players attitude , then you are better off, moving them on and getting trade value for them. Imagine guys like Touk Miller busting there guts and then looking down field at a highly payed recruit slacking off and not putting in. Team destroying and cancerous, better off cutting it out now, if that's the case.

I fail to see given their current cultures and coaching dept how the Crows or Power could get much more out of Rankine than what he is contributing now.

Most people thought Freo and Ross Lyon could turn Harley Bennell around

If he wants to leave, he is better off going to a club with a strong culture and coaching panel like The Swans ...

If that was remotely true, then you might as well fold GC now , as they will never achieve any standards or success if they are too scared to drop a star recruit based on fears of losing them. Also if that was the players attitude , then you are better off, moving them on and getting trade value for them. Imagine guys like Touk Miller busting there guts and then looking down field at a highly payed recruit slacking off and not putting in. Team destroying and cancerous, better off cutting it out now, if that's the case.
Yes absolutely - but I was only speculating. Every chance it is something entirely different and Dew did make a point of defending Rankine a few weeks back

As for the other comment above by another poster with the crows or port coaching staff not being suitable to get more from Rankine, it might be as simple as him coming back to his home environment that is enough to settle him.

On his output he doesn't deserve more than a rookie contract. Gold Coast or any other club would be irresponsible to pay him big bucks. He literally looks out of his depth at league level. I saw him do the most incredible, impossible blind turn and pass in one of the championship games. It was just crazy good. Football was too easy for him. I literally don't see what he offers at afl level. Gold Coast absolutely need to give him a long spell at vfl level. If he can get fit and dominate at that level then he comes back into the team. If they keep gifting him games, it isn't going to end well. He doesn't seem to have the fitness or speed to get into dangerous positions. He has nice vision and party tricks but he can't use them at afl level.

A lot of high level speculation going on here.

He’s a talented young guy who does good things with ball in hand. Great vision and good forward half ball use generally. Definitely down on confidence at the moment and looks unsure where the position himself when the ball comes into the forward line.

Believe he is fit - was one of the better performers in pre season time trial apparently. Had the bad corkie which saw him miss a few games so potentially a contributor to his last couple of poor games.

No doubt he needs to work harder on field.
It’s not happening for him at the moment and he clearly needs a bit of a jolt to the system. Whether that is a spell in the 2’s or change in role - not sure.

The above tweet seems clear that the club is reluctant to pay him more than his performance demands, despite the claims on here, doesn’t seem we will cough up big money for him - and rightfully so.

let's say he finishes the year with his current numbers and he ends up requesting a trade. What pick is worth for the buying club to use on him?
With current numbers.Sounds like attitude.
A building side it'll be too big of a risk.
But a club inside the window would be a risk worth taking.
So a pick from say 15 to 18.

A lot of high level speculation going on here.

He’s a talented young guy who does good things with ball in hand. Great vision and good forward half ball use generally. Definitely down on confidence at the moment and looks unsure where the position himself when the ball comes into the forward line.

Believe he is fit - was one of the better performers in pre season time trial apparently. Had the bad corkie which saw him miss a few games so potentially a contributor to his last couple of poor games.

No doubt he needs to work harder on field.
It’s not happening for him at the moment and he clearly needs a bit of a jolt to the system. Whether that is a spell in the 2’s or change in role - not sure.

The above tweet seems clear that the club is reluctant to pay him more than his performance demands, despite the claims on here, doesn’t seem we will cough up big money for him - and rightfully so.
Fair assessment.

I would just add that a lot of people were raving about his performance in round 1 against Eagles. Did bad corkie contribute to his form? Possibly. Did he come back too early?

If you read what he had to say about Suns and re-signing I would be very surprised if he leaves.

Let's see how he continues this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With current numbers.Sounds like attitude.
A building side it'll be too big of a risk.
But a club inside the window would be a risk worth taking.
So a pick from say 15 to 18.
On form is he worth a 1st rounder? Not sure.

It is isn't it. Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Bergman, Georgiades, SPP, Marshall, Burton, Farrell, Houston, DBJ and Ladhams/ Dougal Howard who were moved on as surplus to needs and are doing good things elsewhere. Alot of peacocking from a team on the end of some absolute beltings from us recently who managed to beat us by under a goal with half our team missing/ badly underdone.

View attachment 1389670

I see alot of players who came from other clubs and the number 1 draft pick in one of the best drafts of the best 5-10. years.
I apologise on behalf of all reasonable Carlton supporters for my compatriots comments. Just drivel.

It's what Port did with Wingard, cashed him in and got rid of his lazy attitude from the club.

On form is he worth a 1st rounder? Not sure.

You would be paying for his potential if you traded for him, more than exposed form, bur right now a top 10 pick is out of the question.

A pick in the teens and possibly 3rd round pick swaps is about fair value I would say

Unfortunately for a team like Adelaide, in many instances they have to play overs to get players to their club, but under no circumstances should they trade their first pick this season (for any player, but not just Rankine)

I think the Swans would be the perfect club for him, if he wants to become the player we all know he can be.

He could become one of those Suns players who gets out of there and turns his careeer around, or he could just be the same player in a new jumper.

I don't think he's worth more than a pick in the 30s.

Agreed. And I don’t wanna sit here and s**t on the suns, but there development of players is extremely poor.
Huh? Early days you could say that these days I would say the likes of King, Anderson, Rowell, Powell and Ballard have developed quite well.

Just because Rankine and to a lesser extent Lukosius haven't bloomed into the players they promised, doesn't tank all the gains in development we have made.

FWIW, I feel this is Rankines last chance to get himself sorted before he finds himself in the VFL. Rosas and Jeffery in the 2's are looking better currently.

You would be paying for his potential if you traded for him, more than exposed form, bur right now a top 10 pick is out of the question.

A pick in the teens and possibly 3rd round pick swaps is about fair value I would say

Unfortunately for a team like Adelaide, in many instances they have to play overs to get players to their club, but under no circumstances should they trade their first pick this season (for any player, but not just Rankine)

I think the Swans would be the perfect club for him, if he wants to become the player we all know he can be.
When have the Crows ever paid overs to get a player to their club?

It's more of an issue that they've never done it, so clubs like Carlton can waltz in and offer $800k for McGovern and he leaves, or $750k to Zac Williams and he chooses them.

I would think going to a very strong coaching panel like the Crows, with Nicks, Scott Burns, van Berlo, Rahilly etc would really help him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back