Toast John Kennedy Snr elevated to Legend Status in the Hall of Fame

Remove this Banner Ad

John Kennedy Snr was a state level coach, he never coached in the AFL and was only selected as coach of Victoria once

This is great recognition for Kennedy.

I remember a chap called Haydn Bunton (jnr), who took the perennial easybeats Swan Districts, to their first premiership and a 3 peat. He put the heart in the club, plus went and gave Subiaco some time in the sun. Is he a Legend ?.

I think it's clear and it doesn't appear to be debatable for anyone old enough to recall his influence on the game.

There are also other 'clear' legends who are not yet in but I'm not sure of the issue here - who cares if they get in this year or next? It's not a ranking system whereby first in means they're more 'worthy'.

Out of curiosity, should Sheedy have been elevated?
If you want to debate Sheedy’s presence as a Legend you’d be debating all Legends.

3 premierships, captaincy, best and fairest and team of the century at Richmond... followed by four premierships as coach at Essendon and named in their TOTC as coach, with a final stint as coach at GWS.

Most games as a player and coach in VFL/AFL history.

I think he’s safely a legend.

Demons
2007 5-17 14th
2008 3-19 spoon
2009 4-18 spoon
2010 8-1-13 12th
2011 8-1-13 13th
2012 4-18 16th
2013 2-20 17th
2014 4-18 17th
2015 7-15 13th
2016 10-12 11th
2017 12-10 9th First year as Coach
2018 14-8 3rd 5th (4th after Finals).

Welcome Australian Football Hall of Fame Legend Simon Goodwin.

What the? It's like what a religious nut in a cult would do...take one small part of a text/discussion out of context and then make a really tenuous link to reach a conclusion. Hell, I share a birthday with Leigh Matthews, he's a legend so I should be a legend right?

Besides, whilst Melbourne have been no where near as bad as Hawthorn were, if Goodwin introduces a revolutionary method of training and Melbourne go on to win an immediate flag using that method and a game style not seen before that is still used 60 years later..oh, and kicking methodology is changed forever and he becomes an icon with the games most famous speeches ever...and he wins a couple more flags and turns Melbourne into the undisputed power house of the comp with a direct hand in 9 flags....

Then he may be considered in 60 years or so....

I think the main thrust of the argument (or so it should be) is not that Kanga Kennedy is unworthy, but it was well overdue for a SANFL or WAFL state champion like Russell Ebert or Ken Farmer to be elevated to legend status.

During a year the SANFL is shutdown due to COVID19, an argument could have been made that Rusty (Ebert) should have been elevated as a legend.

I totally agree with the sentiments of VicBias amongst SA and WA fans but also firmly believe JKS was/is a legend in every sense of the term and one of the great football families.

Agreed, Kennedy is deserving.

Unfortunately there are some others in the picture, who may have CV’s that are very pressing.

While I’m here, is Lenny Hayes the only one added to the Hall this year ?. Heard no other names mentioned.

If you want to debate Sheedy’s presence as a Legend you’d be debating all Legends.

3 premierships, captaincy, best and fairest and team of the century at Richmond... followed by four premierships as coach at Essendon and named in their TOTC as coach, with a final stint as coach at GWS.

I'm not debating Sheedy. Part of what added to Sheedys CV was his recognised impact on the game. Sheedy and JK Snr are not that different.

As you say, Sheedy won a B&F and was captain for a season as a player. He represented Victoria and was named back pocket in the Rich TOTC.

Kennedy won 4 B&Fs and was captain for 5 seasons. He captained Victoria and was named coach instead of player in the TOTC.

Sheedy won 4 flags as a coach and did plenty for the game on a range of issues, including marketing and indigenous representation. He also coached GWS.

Kennedy won 3 flags as a coach and turned the worst performing club of all time into a powerhouse. He introduced new innovations in training, fitness, game plan, etc that changed the game forever. He is iconic in many ways. He also coached North Melbourne.

Lol I can’t believe there is discord over this one. If you weren’t alive when he was at least coaching then check yourself out of the thread please. His impact on modern football cannot be understated, and changed the way all clubs approached training and professionalism. Modern footy can clearly be traced back his work with the Hawks, which was duly copied by every other club in the league. If anyone is a legend, it is him.

Remember it isn't the AFL Hall of Fame, it is meant to be the Australian Rules Hall of Fame

And it is very very far from that. It's like two of the three mainstay states in the 160 year history of football were incapable of producing footballers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demons
2007 5-17 14th
2008 3-19 spoon
2009 4-18 spoon
2010 8-1-13 12th
2011 8-1-13 13th
2012 4-18 16th
2013 2-20 17th
2014 4-18 17th
2015 7-15 13th
2016 10-12 11th
2017 12-10 9th First year as Coach
2018 14-8 3rd 5th (4th after Finals).

Welcome Australian Football Hall of Fame Legend Simon Goodwin.

Fun fact of the day - John Cahill coached 5 seasons in the VFL / AFL and made the finals once (where his team was belted by 135 points in a final, the worst Collingwood loss in their history)

But total legend

Dusty is the only one who has a chance IMHO, and he still needs to achieve more. Importantly he has that intangible aura that any Legend should require.

I really don’t think DH is in line for Legend status, even though his record is comparable to John Kennedy Sr. Maybe if he won two more flags at a minimum.

Cotch, Jack and Rance are HoF worthy imho, but fall well short of Legend status.
Nothing you are saying is incorrect. Yet every single player mentioned above have playing resumes at team AND individual level that absolutely blows Roy Cazaly out of the water yet is he an inaugural legend.

Sheedy fits the bill, not an extreme record but ongoing influence, much like Kennedy. The following two could be argued to be the greatest coaches the game has seen and should have been inducted way before Kennedy, Sheedy, McHale or even Norm Smith.

Jack Oatey AM
Player - 186 games, 237 goals
4x Best & Fairest
3x Premiership Captain
7 games for South Australia (incl 2 years as Captain)
Norwood Football Club Team of the Century (Rover)

Coach - 777 games (W513 L259 D5)
3x Premiership coach at Norwood
7x Premiership coach at Sturt (including 5 in a row 1966-1970)
Sturt Football Club Team of the Century (Coach)
2 games for South Australia

Legacy
The record holder for games won in elite Australian Rules football (only one over 500)
Credited as the initiator of the modern game where handball became an attacking tactic, which influenced Ron Barassi to adopt similar in Victoria
Jack Oatey Medal is awarded to the Best on Ground in an SANFL Grand Final
Jack Oatey Stand at Adelaide Oval
Norwood, Sturt, South Australian and Australian Hall of Fame inductee

Fos Williams AM
Player - 205 games, 375 goals
2 x Best & Fairest
7x Premiership player (6 at Port Adelaide, 1 at West Adelaide)
34 games for South Australia (incl 5 years as Captain)
Port Adelaide Greatest Team (Captain)
Simpson Medal 1955

Coach - 574 games (W378 L194 D2)
9x Premiership Coach (6 as playing coach)
Port Adelaide Greatest Team (Coach)
45 games for South Australia (W24 L21)

Legacy
Authored the Port Adelaide Club Creed
Port Adelaide, South Australian and Australian Hall of Fame inductee
Fos Williams Medal awarded to the Best on Ground for South Australia in a state game
Fos Williams Stand at Adelaide Oval

Here is one who should be considered as an equal of a Kennedy/Sheedy, or a Whitten/Barassi:

Neil Kerley OAM
Player - 265 games, 123 goals
5x Best and Fairest
2 x Premiership captain
32 games for South Australia (incl 6 years as Captain)

Coach - 628 games (W365 L260 D3)
4x Premiership Coach (2 as playing coach)
10 years as South Australian state coach
Australian coach - 1987 International Rules

Legacy
Known as "Mr Football" within South Australia
Appointed South Adelaide playing coach in 1964 and led them to a Premiership having been wooden spooners in 1963 (South Adelaide's most recent premiership)
Appointed coach of struggler West Torrens in 1977 and led them to their last ever finals series in 1980.
Appointed Central District coach in 1988 and led them to back-to-back finals appearances (at that stage had qualified for finals rarely)
Is the only SANFL coach to win premierships at multiple clubs over three different decades
West Adelaide (Legend), Glenelg (Great of Glenelg), South Australian and Australian Hall of Fame inductee
West Adelaide Best and Fairest renamed the Neil Kerley Medal

Sheedy fits the bill, not an extreme record but ongoing influence, much like Kennedy. The following two could be argued to be the greatest coaches the game has seen and should have been inducted way before Kennedy, Sheedy, McHale or even Norm Smith.

Jack Oatey AM
Player - 186 games, 237 goals
4x Best & Fairest
3x Premiership Captain
7 games for South Australia (incl 2 years as Captain)
Norwood Football Club Team of the Century (Rover)

Coach - 777 games (W513 L259 D5)
3x Premiership coach at Norwood
7x Premiership coach at Sturt (including 5 in a row 1966-1970)
Sturt Football Club Team of the Century (Coach)
2 games for South Australia

Legacy
The record holder for games won in elite Australian Rules football (only one over 500)
Credited as the initiator of the modern game where handball became an attacking tactic, which influenced Ron Barassi to adopt similar in Victoria
Jack Oatey Medal is awarded to the Best on Ground in an SANFL Grand Final
Jack Oatey Stand at Adelaide Oval
Norwood, Sturt, South Australian and Australian Hall of Fame inductee

Fos Williams AM
Player - 205 games, 375 goals
2 x Best & Fairest
7x Premiership player (6 at Port Adelaide, 1 at West Adelaide)
34 games for South Australia (incl 5 years as Captain)
Port Adelaide Greatest Team (Captain)
Simpson Medal 1955

Coach - 574 games (W378 L194 D2)
9x Premiership Coach (6 as playing coach)
Port Adelaide Greatest Team (Coach)
45 games for South Australia (W24 L21)

Legacy
Authored the Port Adelaide Club Creed
Port Adelaide, South Australian and Australian Hall of Fame inductee
Fos Williams Medal awarded to the Best on Ground for South Australia in a state game
Fos Williams Stand at Adelaide Oval

Here is one who should be considered as an equal of a Kennedy/Sheedy, or a Whitten/Barassi:

Neil Kerley OAM
Player - 265 games, 123 goals
5x Best and Fairest
2 x Premiership captain
32 games for South Australia (incl 6 years as Captain)

Coach - 628 games (W365 L260 D3)
4x Premiership Coach (2 as playing coach)
10 years as South Australian state coach
Australian coach - 1987 International Rules

Legacy
Known as "Mr Football" within South Australia
Appointed South Adelaide playing coach in 1964 and led them to a Premiership having been wooden spooners in 1963 (South Adelaide's most recent premiership)
Appointed coach of struggler West Torrens in 1977 and led them to their last ever finals series in 1980.
Appointed Central District coach in 1988 and led them to back-to-back finals appearances (at that stage had qualified for finals rarely)
Is the only SANFL coach to win premierships at multiple clubs over three different decades
West Adelaide (Legend), Glenelg (Great of Glenelg), South Australian and Australian Hall of Fame inductee
West Adelaide Best and Fairest renamed the Neil Kerley Medal
I have mentioned earlier in the thread that I don't know SA and WA football, but always hear the same names being brought up. These are some (but not all) of them. Reading their records just proves what a shitshow the HoF is.

A song about Cazaly and a speech from Kennedy... the power of media.

Don't forget a continuously replayed mark that somehow makes Alex Jesaulenko a more significant player than a guy who kicked 11 centuries in consecutive seasons (Ken Farmer), or a pair who have won four medals each (Russell Ebert & Bill Walker)

VFL Premiership winning coaches of the 1960s and 1970s
AFL Legends in bold.

60, 64 - Smith (Melbourne)
61, 71, 76 - Kennedy (Hawthorn)
62, 65 - Coleman (Essendon)
63 - Davis (Geelong)
66 - Jeans (St Kilda)
67, 69, 73, 74 - Hafey (Richmond)
68, 70, 75, 77 - Barassi (Carlton, NM)
72 - Nicholls (Carlton)
78 - Parkin (Hawthorn)
79 - Jesaulenko (Carlton)

Given that the four coaches who are not Legends have comparable or better records than Kennedy I think it is fair to say that at some point every premiership coach between 1960 and 1979 will be an official Legend of the game. Sure some had excellent playing careers but I don't think that is right.

Edit: Mr Magic pointed out that Hafey is not a legend. Point still made - he coached four flags, a dynastic side, lifted the Tigers out of the mire, and then lifted Collingwood from wooden spooners to a drawn GF in his first season as well as a few more GF appearances. He then coached Geelong and Sydney, for a total of 23 seasons, 522 games and a 65% win record.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back