Unofficial Preview Prematch discussion/changes vs Gold Coast Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Out: swallow, thomas, goldstein (inj.), atley
In: anderson, clarke, Preuss, higgins

Tarrant on lynch
Hansen on wright
Marley on matera

Biggest focus is stopping harbrow and saad's run. If we give them free passage out of the 50 like we have done in games this season they will have a field day.

-Atley to come back when he decides to take the game on and use his biggest weapon.
-Turner gets another weak due to LT going out. Love him but needs to get into the game more.

Still no forward line help.

Injury List
Ben Brown (knee) test
Todd Goldstein (ankle) test
Jack Ziebell (knee) test

Ben McKay (groin/hip) 2-3 weeks
Ben Jacobs (foot) 1-2 weeks
Jarrad Waite (AC joint) 1-2 weeks
Sam Wright (ankle/foot) 5-7 weeks
Oscar Junker (tibia) 6-8 weeks
Paul Ahern (knee) season*

Last updated: April 26

* Long term injury list

I wonder how much the fact brown had to ruck has exacerbated his injury.

That's the last I'll say in the worst team selection ever from last week.

Onto this week. Let's assume that Goldy, brown and ziebell don't get up.

Preuss and daw come in, obviously. That leaves daw and wood to play permanent forward with daw providing ruck relief. Doesn't really give us the chance to exploit their lack of tall defenders.

Swallow survives to play inside mid. Clarke comes in for ziebell.

Higgins in for Thomas.

I would doubt that Jack and Benny B are fit to play this week.

But they'll be in

God I hope not.

At this point I'd much rather wear a loss due to fielding too many inexperienced players, than have semi fit senior players hobbling around and as a result fading after half time (and probably wearing a loss anyway).

I really hope Jy and EVW stay in and cement a spot.
Do we see Jed coming in for Hrovat? Not that I want to see Hrovat sit out.
Clarke for Gibson?

Still no forward line help.
I didn't want to go crazy and drop a 5th person. It'd make sense to bring in another tall given their KPD injury issues. Just not sure given daw had a mattress strapped to his knee. Maybe larkey but he's pretty slight, then again he's been doing well at VFL level. Or could get inventive and bring in durds and play hansen forward.

Be interesting if they don't come up, may let Clarke, Anderson, Wags etc come in and if they play well and the same offenders fail to perform may keep the pressure up on the selection panel.

Out: Goldstein, Brown, Ziebell, Thomas
In: Preuss, Daw/Zurhaar, Clarke, Anderson

I really want Wagner to get some games but not sure who he is better than at the moment (besides Swallow, Thompson, Gibson, Thomas which are their own special case)

Be interesting if they don't come up, may let Clarke, Anderson, Wags etc come in and if they play well and the same offenders fail to perform may keep the pressure up on the selection panel.

Out: Goldstein, Brown, Ziebell, Thomas
In: Preuss, Daw/Zurhaar, Clarke, Anderson

I really want Wagner to get some games but not sure who he is better than at the moment (besides Swallow, Thompson, Gibson, Thomas which are their own special case)
Isn't Higgins due back?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can't see Jacobs back in 1-2 weeks. When I was at training the other week he was only just doing stationary handballing drills. From what I had been told he had only got out of the moon boot within the last 2 weeks.

I would've thought he would have had to do a lot more loading on the alter G and straight line running on grass before he could progress to playing. I'm tipping we wont see him playing for at least another 6 weeks going on what I've been told and previous experiences with re-occurring foot injuries.

can't see Jacobs back in 1-2 weeks. When I was at training the other week he was only just doing stationary handballing drills. From what I had been told he had only got out of the moon boot within the last 2 weeks.

I would've thought he would have had to do a lot more loading on the alter G and straight line running on grass before he could progress to playing. I'm tipping we wont see him playing for at least another 6 weeks going on what I've been told and previous experiences with re-occurring foot injuries.

I'd be surprised if he plays again.

Not so big on toying with the forward line too much, aside from the obvious dropping of Swallow and bringing in Higgins could release Zieball on the half forward line even forward pocket (needs to do something so may as well give him the opportunity to kick goals, besides he is a better goal kick than field kick anyway)

Sure you could throw in another tall but whats the point in this game, Suns' halfback line would run rings around another tall.
Big Ben (as much as i love him) is weaker than water and the midfield delivery to him is poor, like how the * is a bloke who can barely contest with Josh Drummonds specky bag fly with two defenders. The big boy is a brilliant lead up forward and great kick. Maybe play him up the ground.
This would give would, a contested animal, the 50. His pace and marking prowess would tear up.

Give Wood space and get out of his way

In: Anderson or Wagner, Clarke, Pruess
Out: LT, swallow, Goldy (inj)

Just set the standard for once please...

Not sure that he will be dropping any experience considering he said these words last night.

"If I was only worried about myself, I would've pushed very strongly to keep those senior players. It's certainly easy to coach an experienced side, we've had some close losses this year that arguably wouldn't have happened if we had more experience around the contest, but the view is what is best for this great football club"

Not sure that he will be dropping any experience considering he said these words last night.

"If I was only worried about myself, I would've pushed very strongly to keep those senior players. It's certainly easy to coach an experienced side, we've had some close losses this year that arguably wouldn't have happened if we had more experience around the contest, but the view is what is best for this great football club"
If only the ladder was determined by excuses ~ sigh

So pretty much:

"I am looking to making my job easier by putting as much experience in my side as possible ever week, no matter how cooked they are over my youth. It's way too hard to hurt these players feelings by dropping them"

Subliminally blaming the outage of the veterans too lol well Wah Wah

A coach that will refuse to make the hard calls is a coach that lacks leadership

So pretty much:

"I am looking to making my job easier by putting as much experience in my side as possible ever week, no matter how cooked they are over my youth. It's way too hard to hurt these players feelings by dropping them"

Subliminally blaming the outage of the veterans too lol well Wah Wah

A coach that will refuse to make the hard calls is a coach that lacks leadership
That's one way of reading into it, as in the exact opposite to what he actually said. However, I'm not denying you could be right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back