Preview Round 1, 2022 vs Brisbane Lions @ GABBA, 19/03/22

Remove this Banner Ad

So Close Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

Forever negative Hinkley. So sick if him. Game's lost before we get out there.

Three things that would be a very pleasant surprise:
1) Functional and efficient forward 50 entries and goal conversion
2) A ruck and midfield that matches or betters the Lions' intensity, wins clean clearances with good spread, and defends their spread well
3) Connor Rozee to have an excellent all-round game: goals and possessions distributed evenly throughout the match (I'd take 22 possessions and 2-3 goals please).

.......and us getting the win.

4) A forward press that is effective against the Lions (it has failed every time we've played them recently, they get that first kick out too easy and often go e2e)
5) A defence that doesn't sh*t it's dacks every time the Lions get a deep F50 entry, be that when it hits the ground or is in the air, but instead actually holds up and rebounds.
6) A side that doesn't panic and make a heap of fumbling, bumbling mistakes in unpressured transition going forward through referred (but not real) pressure.

1) lol
2) I think think this is plausible, especially if Butters starts as good as we hope
3) Would be a Wingard AA level game from a medium sized forward (surely he's only a part-time mid atm), so lets hope so
4) Brisbane are the most direct team in the league (lots of long kicks) and last year we were one of the highest possession teams (lots of everything but mainly short kicks, maybe we can put the forward press (or the back part of it) just a little bit deeper so it doesn't get through as easily
5) I am not sure ANY of our defenders are that good on the ground at any time.... maybe Jones & DBJ? In terms of rebounding we really need Bonner & Burton to play well. I'd argue that none of our many half-backs are in the top 20 in the league (especially since DBJ fell off a cliff), maybe Houston but he's a wing now apparently? I reckon we'll probably be ok in the air though.
6) I reckon thats all the conditions. Just don't practice enough in slippery conditions versus Brisbane who play there all the time. Maybe because its round 1 we've been preparing for slippery balls but I am not confident. I'm hoping it rains and we just have to hoof it forward instead of high possession increasing the risk for fumbles.

Lachie Jones or Burton to Cameron. DBJ has shown he is utterly useless on really good small forwards.

Jones, I don't want Burton pulling a hamstring chasing him.

I don't quite believe it, but we're getting this game on FTA in Perth, despite three games (incl tonight) already being shown on FTA, and the two WA teams' games to be shown on Sunday - we usually get no more than four.

Pity it's a game where we'll probably get malleted.

Oh Lord I hope we lose!

Worst thing that could come out of this is we scrape through, get a result, and everyone jumps on Ken's dick again.

Really thought we'd be seeing Hayes in the line-up given he's been quite active during the pre-season.

Chad Cornes went on SEN, sounds like DBJ will be matching up on Charlie Cameron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we (or anyone else for that matter) actually play 1-1 defence on smalls? Occasionally see it on talls, I remember McKenzie forcing Hawkins out wide all night one game at AO.

I think it’s all team defence these days and anything a coach says is just for a media talking point. Unless they mean at F50 stoppages or something.

Do we (or anyone else for that matter) actually play 1-1 defence on smalls? Occasionally see it on talls, I remember McKenzie forcing Hawkins out wide all night one game at AO.

I think it’s all team defence these days and anything a coach says is just for a media talking point. Unless they mean at F50 stoppages or something.
The only time you really see match ups is from the centre bounce, once the game starts flowing they generally go out the window and the team structures take over.

I generally think that's why teams can get on a roll ala Melbourne in the Grand Final (that's a extreme example) as most players are conditioned for the team defence or the team defensive structures and get exposed when having to defend one on one.

The only time you really see match ups is from the centre bounce, once the game starts flowing they generally go out the window and the team structures take over.

I generally think that's why teams can get on a roll ala Melbourne in the Grand Final (that's a extreme example) as most players are conditioned for the team defence or the team defensive structures and get exposed when having to defend one on one.

Yeah and maybe also matching up on the oppo +1 wherever he is. That would be a different player in different parts of the ground.

Oh Lord I hope we lose!

Worst thing that could come out of this is we scrape through, get a result, and everyone jumps on Ken's dick again.

Really thought we'd be seeing Hayes in the line-up given he's been quite active during the pre-season.

Why the * would you want us to lose? I'm no Hinkley fan, but I hope we win every game we play. My love for the club outweighs my dislike of Hinkley. I'm usually considered a pessimistic fan, but this board can be a pretty depressing place, way too much negativity.

I always doubted we would see Hayes straight up. A game at the GABBA against a good Brisbane side, with likely high humidity is not the time to debut a Ruck with questions over his endurance. At some stage this year he needs a game (and should have played some games last year, when Lycett was out) but not this week.

What's Sam Skinner doing in QLD? Is he gonna fly back down to SA for the SANFL game tomorrow?

Can't win ol Ken
If he talks positive, he gets called a snake oil salesman
To any real club that would be the canary in the coal mine that the coach is done. However we've been doing this for like three years now and no one at the club seems to care.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back