Preview Round 1, 2022 vs Brisbane Lions @ GABBA, 19/03/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Our balance was wrong with Lycett and Ladhams in the same side. A forward who can ruck a bit like Finlayson is what we need, not a ruck who can go forward a bit.

Fine, except that at some stage we have to develop Hayes and to do that he has to get AFL game time. Unless Hayes rucks in tandem with Lycett Hayes plays in place of Lycett.

Was really hoping to see Hayes play. Need to get games in to him but Hinkley is playing it "safe" with Lycett. Even though we know Lycett isn't safe or sure to give us an honest contest every game.

Excited to See Mead in the side. Saw the last pre-season game reviews with some posters saying he was sloppy and fumbly and had to go back and re-watch. He was anything but those things. He has a deft touch with the ball. It's easy to see we want to start pin pointing passes into F50 and you need guys like Houston, Butters and Mead to do this.

I think we'll lose. I think Lycett will be beaten but by just enough that Hinkley can play it "safe" with him again next week.

I think Bonner's defensive weakness will shine through (Bris smaller fwds are class) and be the direct cause for a number of goals, but he will get lots of seagul posessions and his game will be called by all as a pass.

I think our mids can contest with theirs but they have to be on top of their game and we have to be careful of McCluggage on the wing.

Who takes Cameron?

I've loaded Brisbane into a heap of multi's, they're just the clear lock of the week. The bookies definitely have the odds right with us as the team with the least chance of winning this weekend. If we pull off an upset, it'd be completely out of character and completely against the grain of the poor form we've shown so far.

Personally feel like we'll probably lose by 4-5 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three things that would be a very pleasant surprise:
1) Functional and efficient forward 50 entries and goal conversion
2) A ruck and midfield that matches or betters the Lions' intensity, wins clean clearances with good spread, and defends their spread well
3) Connor Rozee to have an excellent all-round game: goals and possessions distributed evenly throughout the match (I'd take 22 possessions and 2-3 goals please).

.......and us getting the win.

I've loaded Brisbane into a heap of multi's, they're just the clear lock of the week. The bookies definitely have the odds right with us as the team with the least chance of winning this weekend. If we pull off an upset, it'd be completely out of character and completely against the grain of the poor form we've shown so far.

Personally feel like we'll probably lose by 4-5 goals.
Agree Cookie but we are up against a media lockout Vlad would love to have Re “Before Ken was here”

I personally want a prelim final style reaming so the smooth brains in the media start to link the concept of

Good teams vs Port = non competitive losses

2) A ruck and midfield that matches or betters the Lions' intensity, wins clean clearances with good spread, and defends their spread well
3) Connor Rozee to have an excellent all-round game: goals and possessions distributed evenly throughout the match (I'd take 22 possessions and 2-3 goals please).

4) A forward press that is effective against the Lions (it has failed every time we've played them recently, they get that first kick out too easy and often go e2e)
5) A defence that doesn't s**t it's dacks every time the Lions get a deep F50 entry, be that when it hits the ground or is in the air, but instead actually holds up and rebounds.
6) A side that doesn't panic and make a heap of fumbling, bumbling mistakes in unpressured transition going forward through referred (but not real) pressure.

Might as well be wishing for a trip to the moon with that list lol.

My more realistic desires for this weekend are that Mead has a good debut and shows a little bit and that some other team loses by more so we avoid the indignity of being last after the first round.

Interesting to note - last year we went with 1 ruck and a forward back-up, this year we have 2 genuine rucks. Port vice-versa. See what it results in but should give you a bit more run.

All lions fans would wish Skinner the best for the season. Sounds like he is close to a game.

Would Clurey play this weekend if fit or dropped down the pecking order a bit? How has Finlayson looked in the pre-season? Enigmatic player. Can have some great moments but has been inconsistent.

As noted Hipwood out would be a relief for Port fans, but you are down your 2 leading goalkickers from last year which is no small blow.

I do think the best thing going for Port is being total underdogs in round 1. Can be a pretty good recipe. We have been hot faves the last 2 years and lost.

We have no excuses on our home deck and having had a good pre-season, so I think we should win. But as ever, nervous!

Best of luck for the season

Interesting to note - last year we went with 1 ruck and a forward back-up, this year we have 2 genuine rucks. Port vice-versa. See what it results in but should give you a bit more run.

All lions fans would wish Skinner the best for the season. Sounds like he is close to a game.

Would Clurey play this weekend if fit or dropped down the pecking order a bit? How has Finlayson looked in the pre-season? Enigmatic player. Can have some great moments but has been inconsistent.

As noted Hipwood out would be a relief for Port fans, but you are down your 2 leading goalkickers from last year which is no small blow.

I do think the best thing going for Port is being total underdogs in round 1. Can be a pretty good recipe. We have been hot faves the last 2 years and lost.

We have no excuses on our home deck and having had a good pre-season, so I think we should win. But as ever, nervous!

Best of luck for the season
Controversially Cluery is in the cosches top 3 defenders, flip of a coin him and Mckenzie whilst others have Jonas needing more spotlight on him

Finlayson has looked good, offers something different to what port currently have

So Close Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back