Preview Round 17, 2018: Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions, 14 July 2018, 1.45pm @ York Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying Lewis did absolutely **** all is a bit rough Bris. Lewis did more than Jonathan Brown did in his first game and in his game against WC showed that he could do some nice things, slick handballs and the like, remember in his second game he had as much impact per game as Timmy has in about 50 games, the only reason I would give games to Timmy over Lewis at this stage is as you state ruck work. Lewis has been carrying some heavy strapping on one knee for a couple of weeks so might be the reason that he hasn't gone into the ruck even when Pitto went down.
I'm not one on here to constantly flog TOB but the gap between Tim and Lewis isn't that great and closing fast. Tim was just the safe bet for now.
It’s absolutely delusional to say Lewis has had as much impact as O’Brien at afl level. Granted Timmy doesn’t always deliver his best football but his average game is better than lewis’s at afl level and timmy’s best games are well in advance of Lewis. That may change next season but we are trying to win games of football to make finals this season so on exposed afl form Timmy brings more to the table. That isn’t an indication of what I think of Lewis or his potential but more of a reflection of where he is at right now.

I think BH has provided pretty good reasons rather than just suggesting you’re negative. I think that’s unfair. You just don’t agree with his views

He initially quoted me, so really it was he who disagrees with me... FYI :)

Can you elaborate on which part of Tims 3 averaged hit outs per game are so elite that we should forget about the complete ineptness in the rest of his game?

Tim has had 45 swings at the stumps and has come with **** all... I know which odds id take! Lewis should be playing, Tim is and always has been **** on a bull at AFL level.
Yep, using average hit outs to judge performance of a guy who rucks only in some games is constructive...and who the heck would expect elite performances out of a fringe player?

10 hit outs for Timmy on the weekend 1 for Lewis. What part of that suggests to you that the club want to use Lewis in the ruck at the moment?

You might not like timmy’s output but tearing up every time he gets picked and waving your handbag around your head demanding a developing kpf play in his place when that player isn’t even third choice ruck in the vfl is just pathetic.

It’s absolutely delusional to say Lewis has had as much impact as O’Brien at afl level. Granted Timmy doesn’t always deliver his best football but his average game is better than lewis’s at afl level and timmy’s best games are well in advance of Lewis. That may change next season but we are trying to win games of football to make finals this season so on exposed afl form Timmy brings more to the table. That isn’t an indication of what I think of Lewis or his potential but more of a reflection of where he is at right now.

Delusional to suggest Tim is a better option simply because he has 45 games of footy in him. Mitch has played twice in 2 losses, one we got smacked and the other we where lucky not to get smacked.

He initially quoted me, so really it was he who disagrees with me... FYI :)
I actually originally agreed with you Tige but BH’s has convinced me otherwise

My point is more about charactising a poster as personality X when all the they are doing is disagreeing with reasoned arguments

I’m really keen to see Mitchell Lewis by the way but wonder whether we won’t see him unless Ceglar is injured rather than McEvoy - BH’s point about McEvoy’s tank got me over the line thinking it made sense with Timmy. But if we were wanting a second ruck to kick goals with B.B. doing 80% of the duties I’d go Lewis

Yep, using average hit outs to judge performance of a guy who rucks only in some games is constructive...and who the heck would expect elite performances out of a fringe player?

10 hit outs for Timmy on the weekend 1 for Lewis. What part of that suggests to you that the club want to use Lewis in the ruck at the moment?

You might not like timmy’s output but tearing up every time he gets picked and waving your handbag around your head demanding a developing kpf play in his place when that player isn’t even third choice ruck in the vfl is just pathetic.

I applaud your passionate defence of Timbo

I actually originally agreed with you Tige but BH’s has convinced me otherwise

My point is more about charactising a poster as personality X when all the they are doing is disagreeing with reasoned arguments

I’m really keen to see Mitchell Lewis by the way but wonder whether we won’t see him unless Ceglar is injured rather than McEvoy - BH’s point about McEvoy’s tank got me over the line thinking it made sense with Timmy. But if we were wanting a second ruck to kick goals with B.B. doing 80% of the duties I’d go Lewis

Mitch is 199cm, Tim is 193cm, Ruff also can chop out. I feel that after 6 years and 45 games Tim has shown he isn't up to it, flogging a dead horse imo

Mitch is 199cm, Tim is 193cm, Ruff also can chop out. I feel that after 6 years and 45 games Tim has shown he isn't up to it, flogging a dead horse imo
Re: Timmy - The selectors may not necessarily disagree (long term) but just think it’s better for this week

I’m super keen on Lewis being our second ruck who goes forward long term so I hope they think the same

Re: Timmy - The selectors may not necessarily disagree (long term) but just think it’s better for this week

I’m super keen on Lewis being our second ruck who goes forward long term so I hope they think the same

One of your better posts :)

Delusional to suggest Tim is a better option simply because he has 45 games of footy in him. Mitch has played twice in 2 losses, one we got smacked and the other we where lucky not to get smacked.
Lewis has a combined 3 hitouts for his career. Does that help you understand where his ruckwork is at? On average, that is half of what Timmy does so naturally Timmy is twice as good. That was the metric you wanted to use wasn’t it? Timmy has better skills, better fitness, more experience and is a better ruckman right now. Doesn’t make him a good player, just a better choice right now.

Lewis has a combined 3 hitouts for his career. Does that help you understand where his ruckwork is at? On average, that is half of what Timmy does so naturally Timmy is twice as good. That was the metric you wanted to use wasn’t it? Timmy has better skills, better fitness, more experience and is a better ruckman right now. Doesn’t make him a good player, just a better choice right now.

Disagree, Tim is no good for me.. that's my opinion. But Tim is playing and that's fine, won't matter anyway we should win.

I'll just say this and fech off.
2 games vs nearly 50 games and the output difference would be marginal.
How many on here would scream the sky is falling should Lewis be selected ahead of O'Brien? (No need to answer) but if the selection of either is make or break for this squad looking to play deep into finals, god help us.
Delusional, now that's cute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We played too many kids last time and got flodgged. Is that what you want?

I love Whitecross. He is a true warrior for the club and one of the unluckiest player to ever pull on the jumper and yes our kids got a touch up. That was pretty obvious. Not unhappy with Whiteys selection.

Nearly every poster on the board had reservations about the last time we played Brisbane and they were proved right. No Harris Andrews is a big out for them. On that basis Lewis should have got another chance imo.

If O'Brien pinch hits in the ruck against Martin and Oscar M it will be Round 2 of skinny Zac Dawson v A Rocca. Hopefully it is Rough that gives Cegs a chop out. O'Brien will go home in an ambulance if he has to ruck against these two.

I do not think we can win the flag. Clarko might think differently and may be trying to keep the team as settled as possible. Maybe Clarko wants a finals berth to give big game exposure to some of his younger players. Who knows.

Maybe everyone should just post (blanket rule) 'In Clarko we Trust' when the teams come out. Blanket rule for the forum. No need for different views then.

My main beef is people playing the poster not the post.

I want to see more of Lewis also - however I don’t see how having him get mauled by Stef Martin is beneficial for his development. He needs this VFL season and another off-season before he can expect to come and impose himself on opposition defences.

There are enough first round KPFs who have been thrown to the wolves and it’s hamstrung their development. We need to have patience with Lewis and come the beginning of 2019 I’m sure he’ll be ahead of O’Brien in the pecking order.

I want to see more of Lewis also - however I don’t see how having him get mauled by Stef Martin is beneficial for his development. He needs this VFL season and another off-season before he can expect to come and impose himself on opposition defences.

There are enough first round KPFs who have been thrown to the wolves and it’s hamstrung their development. We need to have patience with Lewis and come the beginning of 2019 I’m sure he’ll be ahead of O’Brien in the pecking order.
IF we hang onto Timmy I reckon it will be as a third defender role

IF we hang onto Timmy I reckon it will be as a third defender role

Well he’s contracted so he’ll be there in 2019. Really don’t rate his work down back though, he’s more effective up forward. Not by much mind you.

I love Whitecross. He is a true warrior for the club and one of the unluckiest player to ever pull on the jumper and yes our kids got a touch up. That was pretty obvious. Not unhappy with Whiteys selection.

Nearly every poster on the board had reservations about the last time we played Brisbane and they were proved right. No Harris Andrews is a big out for them. On that basis Lewis should have got another chance imo.

If O'Brien pinch hits in the ruck against Martin and Oscar M it will be Round 2 of skinny Zac Dawson v A Rocca. Hopefully it is Rough that gives Cegs a chop out. O'Brien will go home in an ambulance if he has to ruck against these two.

I do not think we can win the flag. Clarko might think differently and may be trying to keep the team as settled as possible. Maybe Clarko wants a finals berth to give big game exposure to some of his younger players. Who knows.

Maybe everyone should just post (blanket rule) 'In Clarko we Trust' when the teams come out. Blanket rule for the forum. No need for different views then.

My main beef is people playing the poster not the post.
I enjoy it when people offer up reasoned opinions. I don’t enjoy it when the same posters sledge the same players every single time they get picked and suggest, let’s not play a tall guy who can ruck, let’s play a small player who struggles with the fitness demands of vfl. Or better yet, let’s pick a player who is presently injured. And then when you point out that maybe we need someone to ruck and/or who can run out a game the response you get is ‘it’s my opinion’, ‘that player is s**t’, ‘that player has had 45 swings and never done anything good’, ‘you just hate anyone that disagrees with clarko’.

These posters don’t want to understand why O’Brien is getting a game, they just want to vent because he is getting a game despite very obvious reasons why he was selected. This anger and frustration has become a constant in preview, game day and autopsy threads. Player x gets picked, we get frustrated posters venting. Player x does something good in the game, crickets. Player x makes one mistake, that player is so s**t, I hate him, should never play for the club again, why don’t they play one down instead as it would be better???? Then we see the same s**t in the autopsy thread. It doesn’t really matter who it is, so long as those posters have someone to fire shots at, they are happy. Problem is, it makes for s**t reading.

TOB was always going to get the gig, but with Schoe named as an emergency, wonder why he wasn't picked if fit.

He's only just returned to almost full game time in the VFL, think he would need a bit more time to develop his fitness after an injury that was kept pretty quiet for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back