Prediction Round 8: Changes Vs North Melbourne + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I have read through to here, and now reply. Henry has expectation. His games at AFL have predominantly been as a bottom 10 side... this year any forward will look good, simply because of the supply. Henry is a late developer in strength and build. He is a project player. He has a lot of potential, and anyone questioning his skill has clearly not watched him. Is he the tough tackling in and under machine... no. Is he K Pickett...NO. This kid can be something, I get the frustration. But I tell you this, I am happy to go to the footy with my family knowing he is playing because he does do exciting things. Our game style is speed and pressure, and if the coaching staff see that, I back them. We are having an unexpectedly good start to the season.

We go back to the Henry thread, and everyone needs to know that it would be the stupidest decision in our clubs history not to take Henry.
It was a free hit. He was rated, and still is. If you compare his stats to Frederick, they are not that far apart. Sometimes, we just need to support the team and then we move to a premiership. I hate the ugly talk, when we are doing so well. I get that people have bonds to particular players too.
It’s false to say Henry was a free hit.
That’s just not true. A detailed analysis of how the bid was matched for pick 9 in 2019 (that has been done to death plenty times on this board before) showed that we could have refused to match the bid and taken a selection around pick 30 in that draft instead with the assets used in the bid matching process, which could have meant a player like Trent Rivers, Chad Warner or Harrison Jones.
He certainly wasn’t free.

That’s just not true. A detailed analysis of how the bid was matched for pick 9 in 2019 (that has been done to death plenty times on this board before) showed that we could have refused to match the bid and taken a selection around pick 30 in that draft instead with the assets used in the bid matching process, which could have meant a player like Trent Rivers, Chad Warner or Harrison Jones.
If Freo can turn around the careers of Acres, Colyer even Aish then Henry is in good hands.
Their former fans are probably thinking why the turn around from whipping boys
to best 22.

Derksen won't make the MSD. He would be eligible for the PSD though if I'm not mistaken Taylor
His nomination for the preseason draft will be automatic, along with the rookie draft nomination when he submits the paperwork for the 2022 AFL TaylorsAwesome National Draft at the end of this year.

He could get an exemption from the AFL to enter the MSD but.... as I've said earlier to give North a priority pick wouldn't be too popular, giving them priority access to players who don't qualify for the MSD would achieve the results they want.

Snuffaluphagus let's do the Snuffle Shuffle and get that game day thread cracking already! Lol

I'm just glad he didn't ask me to slide my snuffle in and slide my snuffle out. That would have been suss!

Last edited:
If Freo can turn around the careers of Acres, Colyer even Aish then Henry is in good hands.
to best 22.

Really good point. The improvement from Colyer and Acres is nothing short of amazing! No one should be writing Henry off yet, but admittedly, it's getting there.

I personally didn't take some posters comments about Henry as him being a bust and not worth persisting with.

I read it more as his form in the WAFL didn't scream out that he should be selected over others...I'd have to agree on this point from what I've watched.

As I've commented on in one of my other posts, I still have faith in him to produce the goods. From all accounts he's a good kid with a great attitude, works hard on the track, and has the skills to be a very good player. At the moment he just seems he hasn't yet picked up the pace and intensity at the highest level. Fairly or unfairly, his speed of progression will get compared to our other top picks in Caleb and Young from his draft year, both of whom have established themselves in our best 22. He's got good mentors at the club though who I'm sure will hopefully help get him to where he needs to be.

But what else does bring to our side
My take on Henry is his delivery is inconsistent sometimes amazing and sometimes not so great , Gets caught far too often for a player that is supposed to be quick , Footy smarts seem to be as consistent as his delivery.
I cannot say I have seen him play a good game to be honest. Looks a WAFL player to me on disclosed form , Just lacks X factor.

I personally didn't take some posters comments about Henry as him being a bust and not worth persisting with.

I read it more as his form in the WAFL didn't scream out that he should be selected over others...I'd have to agree on this point from what I've watched.

As I've commented on in one of my other posts, I still have faith in him to produce the goods. From all accounts he's a good kid with a great attitude, works hard on the track, and has the skills to be a very good player. At the moment he just seems he hasn't yet picked up the pace and intensity at the highest level. Fairly or unfairly, his speed of progression will get compared to our other top picks in Caleb and Young from his draft year, both of whom have established themselves in our best 22. He's got good mentors at the club though who I'm sure will hopefully help get him to where he needs to be.
I think part of the problem is what player we think he is or have been led to believe he is.

A lot of people (myself included) have him pegged as our Walters replacement; but it seems the club see him as more similar to Colyer.

We all seem to agree that last year and this year Colyer has deserved a place in the 22. Well he's averaging 12 disposals and 0.7 goals a game over this year and last. Henry is averaging 9.5 disposals and 0.6 goals a game. They both have shown their entries inside 50 can be elite, but they also have some stinkers.

Maybe we just chill out about Henry and let him develop for another season or two at Peel with the odd AFL game as coverage. He's 20 years old and we're not desperate to have him in the team when we have 2-3 players in his position ahead of him.

[The same can apply for Sturt as well].

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL yeah there are a lot actually. Left foot (non preferred) snap from the pocket dribble goal vs Collingwood, fight for 50/50 ball then snap running away from Daniels vs Bulldogs, multiple sublime inside 50 to easy marks inside 50 and there are a lot more. His issue is he doesn't do it often enough.
this, the issue has been him putting it together across a game. Particularly in the middle of last season he was showing a tremendous amount before fading later in the season

That's a very unlikely scenario. When the bid came and we needed to find some points the best deal we could muster was picks 52 & 55 for our future 2nd and pick 66. The only way we get a pick around 30 is by trading away our future first.

That's a very unlikely scenario. When the bid came and we needed to find some points the best deal we could muster was picks 52 & 55 for our future 2nd and pick 66. The only way we get a pick around 30 is by trading away our future first.
We had already traded to try to get points

to best 22.
Acres , Colyer and Aish were good players before they joined us and were best 22 at their respective clubs for most of the time they were there particularly Acres, Aish was in their 2018 GF side. Aish missed a fair bit with injury. And Acres had played a lot of good games for Saint Kilda just wasn't in their future plans , Same with Colyer seen him play some very good games for Essendon .
So it is not as if we have transformed total spuds .

I just want Henry to contribute in this game and play a role - that means finding the footy, gaining metres and hitting some targets. Nothing more, nothing less.

In terms of writing him off as a bust let's just remember the 2016 Draft:

Pick 8: Griffin Logue
Pick 9: Will Brodie
Pick 38: Sean Darcy
Pick 41: Brennan Cox
Pick 66: Luke Ryan

That draft should have been the other way around - Luke Ryan made an immediate impact and became a genuine AFL footballer from his first game, Brennan Cox and Sean Darcy were serviceable from the beginning and are now both elite players in their 6th season. Whereas Will Brodie was almost delist fodder at GC and has only just reinvented himself and Logue is only beginning to look like genuine 22 quality now.

Henry was drafted in 2019 and has spent half the time on the list as those guys - let's give him a bit more time.

That draft should have been the other way around - Luke Ryan made an immediate impact and became a genuine AFL footballer from his first game, Brennan Cox and Sean Darcy were serviceable from the beginning and are now both elite players in their 6th season. Whereas Will Brodie was almost delist fodder at GC and has only just reinvented himself and Logue is only beginning to look like genuine 22 quality now.

Henry was drafted in 2019 and has spent half the time on the list as those guys - let's give him a bit more time.
With adding Brodie for nothing, we really did make that draft our bitch

How is it we are going so well, yet there are so many melts? All this dissing of our players, and the self-justification of the dissing. You'd think reading some of this nonesense that JLo has no idea what he's doing, ffs.

Fortunately he's got the team humming nicely. Go JLo! Go Henry! Go Banfiedl! Go Tucker! Go FREEEEOOOOoooooo!!!!

I just want Henry to contribute in this game and play a role - that means finding the footy, gaining metres and hitting some targets. Nothing more, nothing less.

O.K fair call , I make this promise right now I will not comment any further on Henry for two years , Unless it is a positive.

Reckon Freo are staring down the barrel of possibly the best list we've had since 2013, and with a degree of depth we've never enjoyed in our histiory. This is by far the best position we've been in for some time and could be on the verge of our first dynasty.

Lets bring on the cheer, huh peeps!! s**t's turning purple everywhere. Exciting times to be a Freo supporter again. I'll take it, whoo hoo! Go Freo!!

Actually you're right that Henry is probably more of a replacement for Colyer's role than Freddie's as I posted earlier. I forgot Colyer was out too.

And conversely Banfield is probably better suited to trying to disrupt the opposition like Freddie does, though we lose a lot offensively with that substitution.
I agree. It's not massive though.

They're pretty difficult to compare as they are different types. But, their role will be as a pressure forward so it's fair.

Fredericks - Banfield
D 9.4 - 8.0
M 3.4 - 3.0
G 1.3 - 1.0
I50s 2.3 - 2.0
GA 0.7 - 0.5
CM 0.3 - 0.5
MI50 0.5 - 1.0
SI 4.0 - 3.8
MG 151 - 190
IM 1.3 - 1.75
TI50 0.7 - 1.8

Statistically, Bandfield gets a bit less of the ball, but delivers inside 50, gains more ground (surprisingly), Intercepts more often (again, surprisingly), and tackles more inside 50. It's pretty clear Banfield's strength is locking it inside 50.

Acres , Colyer and Aish were good players before they joined us and were best 22 at their respective clubs for most of the time they were there particularly Acres, Aish was in their 2018 GF side. Aish missed a fair bit with injury. And Acres had played a lot of good games for Saint Kilda just wasn't in their future plans , Same with Colyer seen him play some very good games for Essendon .
So it is not as if we have transformed total spuds .

Acres hadn't secured a consistent spot in the Saints 22, and when we got Colyer he wasn't either. Both are in career best form this year, one at the age of 27 and the other 31! Massive resurrections.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back