Prediction Round 8: Changes Vs North Melbourne + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We've been spoiled with our young talent recently. Young, Chapman, Amiss, Henry - All Top 10 picks from the last 3 years coming in via returns and opportunity along with our 23yr old reigning B&F Ruckman. That' still with other first round picks Sturt, Erasmus and Logue who's in limbo of too good to miss but not as good as Cox/Pearce.

They will get there chances for sure (Hopefully sooner for Sturt). Why risk Erasmus long term health with concussions if we can rest him that extra week? Banfield's likely the sub since he's average but got the bigger body with several seasons in the system and you'll never have to doubt his attack on the ball (Also he's 190cm??? - lad's deceptively big).

As for Henry? Big fan. Even his detractors can't deny his skill and class. Ideally Friday's a showcase for his development against one of the worst pressuring sides and with Amiss/Treacy in hopefully a bit of chemistry from Peel (wishful thinking). A good game could be what kickstarts Henry into cementing his spot in the 22.

Sturt is also 190cm, but obviously not as heavy as Banfield

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Word from the North board that walker was playing with the fwds in the captains run
Yeah North having McKay (201cm) back allows them to use Him and Corr (195cm) on Amiss and Treacy and switch Walker (197cm) forward.

Wow - some pretty major melts here. This is my take.

We're are third on the ladder, yet virtually every site that does player rankings literally only has Brayshaw from Freo towards the top of the rankings. One I saw the other day had no other Freo player in the top 50 of the comp. What that tells me - and some commentators have been saying the same all week is that: (1) we are much more system focused than any other team; (2) don't f*** with the system.

We have gone for like for like replacements:

Darcy for Meek
Chapman for Logue
Banfield for Frederick
Amiss for Lobb
Young and Henry for Acres and Colyer (with Young replacing Aish in the back line and Aish pushing forward)

Acres has played wing most of the time he's been on the ground and Colyer has been playing a high forward/covering the wing role.

Henry spent all of pre-season training on the wing and high forward. Sturt doesn't play that role and Erasmus doesn't play that role.

If we were simply picking our best available players then Amiss wouldn't be debuting - but I don't see anyone complaining that Amiss was selected ahead of Erasmus and Sturt.

Now, I'd happily entertain a discussion about whether Sturt would be a better replacement for Frederick than Banfield, but the selection of Henry makes complete sense.

A lot of this is just due to how the ratings system works. Playing 7 good games isn't going to show up because the ratings are a rolling average of your last 50 or so games.

Sturt needs continuity at WAFL level. Basically missed the whole season last year (rd 5 got injured), played 2 pre season WAFL games then got knee soreness and has played the last two. The club rates him but his body has to have questions asked.

The only thing with the team is the match ups. Pearce or Cox will take Coleman-Jones and then the other and Ryan take Zurhaar and Ziebell. I’m not sure those are great match ups - Logue would be perfect for one of the Z’s. I wouldn’t even mind Hughes in for one of them.

Forward mine without Lobb and Tabs is the only other worry but we should get it in enough.

This means Sturt is the key forward at Peel this week. Just him, no Traecy or Amiss to compete with.

Also no mids feeding him.

Keen to see what he can do.

This means Sturt is the key forward at Peel this week. Just him, no Traecy or Amiss to compete with.

Also no mids feeding him.

Keen to see what he can do.

Hopefully Erasmus hits him on the tit 30 times. Also should have Crowden getting it to him and Blakely hand balling to another mid to kick inside 50. Also that NT guy Wade Derksen (197cm) who I think will definitely be picked up in the mid season draft will also be playing

Um , yeah actually he's shown plenty of classy ball use. He's starting 22 on ball use alone, one of the best at delivering inside 50. But he needs to do more than that, specifically increase pressure and be more aggressive at the contest.

Strange post tbh, his skill is elite.
But what else does bring to our side

Hopefully Erasmus hits him on the tit 30 times. Also should have Crowden getting it to him and Blakely hand balling to another mid to kick inside 50. Also that NT guy Wade Derksen (197cm) who I think will definitely be picked up in the mid season draft will also be playing

Derksen won't make the MSD. He would be eligible for the PSD though if I'm not mistaken Taylor

MSD is based on ladder position?
Yes, he would most likely not get to us if other clubs are paying attention.
He can say no which happened last season to a wa player then didn’t get selected. Not likely with Dirksen given he has moved from NT.

Interesting to hear that JL went to cox very early in the week and told him he's staying in defence. That was even before logue was out. So if he's not playing fwd when both of our KPF are out and our defence is at full strength then there's basically zero chance they'll trial it for the rest of the season.
Source?

Not that I don't believe it, I know for sure that Cox will be a defender now but where was this released?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Source?

Not that I don't believe it, I know for sure that Cox will be a defender now but where was this released?
Cox spoke with hase on the radio this afternoon, who will die on the hill that him going forward is the key to unlocking our first flag. Safe to say hase was pretty disappointed

Edit: link Fremantle Dockers - Brennan Cox

Well most would agree Amiss is an elite set shot yet he needs covid to get a game.

Henry is a developing player like Amiss, albeit a couple of years older. My point earlier was just highlighting the curiosity that you seem happy to write Henry off while also acknowledging that a player like Colyer was able to improve well into old age (for an AFL player).
Henry hasn't developed. He came in, was given ample opportunity & has flatlined.
He even struggles at wafl after 3 years.

With all the hype I am now disappointed carlton didn't take him.
Hopefully he leaves me offended by Saturday morn..😜

Henry hasn't developed. He came in, was given ample opportunity & has flatlined.

Bump this thread in a couple of years if he’s a dud . There’s a bit of egg on faces if you trawl back through it .

The listed forward line of Treacy-Amiss-Henry-Switta-Walters-Shooter is too short.

Need a third tall - Sturt? Ras? Although I suppose Banfield could be it.
Cox will play forward at least some of the game is my tip. Probably when Treacy rucks and maybe for longer periods of the game. North have one genuine tall forward that Pearce can cover. The rest of their forward line is mid sized so we wouldn't be exposed for height in defence if we pushed Coz forward. Also with Chapman and Young coming into the team and Logue going out we've also brought in an extra defender compared to last week. I think Aish will play some defence but spend more time than last week on a wing and that Cox will play some time forward to make the rotations work.

Edit: Its look like Josh Walker will be playing forward for North this week according to some on their big footy board. Luke Ryan can play on him or Heath Chapman if they wanted to push Cox forward though, so I don't think that changes anything. Also that would allow Amiss to play on North's third tall defender and not Mckay or Corr. Amiss might have game time around 60% in his first game which could also effect rotations compared to what we normally do.

Last edited:
Am I missing something with Henry??

People saying he doesn't perform at WAFL level?

The bloke has played 5 league games in 3 years, he absolutely tore up in one of those setting up about 10 goals (The same game that got him into the AFL team last year and he didn't leave it)

so by my count he has torn to shreds 20% of WAFL games he has played

and then been decent to good in the other 80%, he hasn't had any absolute shockers, he hasn't even had a consistent or extended run at Peel to disappoint

I'd be lying if I said I was happy with his progress, but his first year was pretty much a write-off when he was expected to go from PSA to AFL with nothing inbetween due to the covid season. As much as the West tries to hype PSA footy it's well below WAFL colts, let alone WAFL league.

Not every player develops in a nice linear fashion. I'm not overly confident he'll make it, but I'm not writing him off yet either.

Cox will play forward at least some of the game is my tip. Probably when Treacy rucks and maybe for longer periods of the game. North have one genuine tall forward that Pearce can cover. The rest of their forward line is mid sized so we wouldn't be exposed for height in defence if we pushed Coz forward. Also with Chapman and Young coming into the team and Logue going out we've also brought in an extra defender compared to last week. I think Aish will play some defence but spend more time than last week on a wing and that Cox will play some time forward to make the rotations work.
Fremantle Dockers - Brennan Cox JL said to Cox he will stay in defense

Also the matchups will be

Pearce - CCJ
Cox - Walker (trained with forwards)
Ryan/Young - Zurhaar

So it does match up

Wow - some pretty major melts here. This is my take.

We're are third on the ladder, yet virtually every site that does player rankings literally only has Brayshaw from Freo towards the top of the rankings. One I saw the other day had no other Freo player in the top 50 of the comp. What that tells me - and some commentators have been saying the same all week is that: (1) we are much more system focused than any other team; (2) don't f*** with the system.

We have gone for like for like replacements:

Darcy for Meek
Chapman for Logue
Banfield for Frederick
Amiss for Lobb
Young and Henry for Acres and Colyer (with Young replacing Aish in the back line and Aish pushing forward)

Acres has played wing most of the time he's been on the ground and Colyer has been playing a high forward/covering the wing role.

Henry spent all of pre-season training on the wing and high forward. Sturt doesn't play that role and Erasmus doesn't play that role.

If we were simply picking our best available players then Amiss wouldn't be debuting - but I don't see anyone complaining that Amiss was selected ahead of Erasmus and Sturt.

Now, I'd happily entertain a discussion about whether Sturt would be a better replacement for Frederick than Banfield, but the selection of Henry makes complete sense.

Jesus this is next level insight.

Fremantle Dockers - Brennan Cox JL said to Cox he will stay in defense

Also the matchups will be

Pearce - CCJ
Cox - Walker (trained with forwards)
Ryan/Young - Zurhaar

So it does match up
Thanks for information. Then maybe Chapman or Mundy spend time forward or Sean Darcy has less off ground time and spends more time up forward. I just think Amiss won't be on the ground more than 65% game time so with Treacy rucking we'll need a different player to rotate forward with some height as Banfield's the third tallest forward named and he's not suited to a second tall role as he'll probably play as a negating forward like has in the past. .

Last edited:
I've realised we need to cool our jets on the Sturt anger. The club literally put out formal communication that he's close, and he is. He's not going to be parked behind Frederick and Banfield all year they're looking out for his best interests and it will pay off.

Looking at the team sheets there's a small possibility we are glass half empty this week. So much talent and experience on that list and we should get the job done.

Forward line is the only worry - Treacy, Amiss and Banfield. How many goals do they combine for? It could be 10 or it could be zero.

Switta, Schulz and Waltersand absolute gold though and if we can get the supply to them we will be fine.

Am I missing something with Henry??

People saying he doesn't perform at WAFL level?

The bloke has played 5 league games in 3 years, he absolutely tore up in one of those setting up about 10 goals (The same game that got him into the AFL team last year and he didn't leave it)

so by my count he has torn to shreds 20% of WAFL games he has played

and then been decent to good in the other 80%, he hasn't had any absolute shockers, he hasn't even had a consistent or extended run at Peel to disappoint

I have read through to here, and now reply. Henry has expectation. His games at AFL have predominantly been as a bottom 10 side... this year any forward will look good, simply because of the supply. Henry is a late developer in strength and build. He is a project player. He has a lot of potential, and anyone questioning his skill has clearly not watched him. Is he the tough tackling in and under machine... no. Is he K Pickett...NO. This kid can be something, I get the frustration. But I tell you this, I am happy to go to the footy with my family knowing he is playing because he does do exciting things. Our game style is speed and pressure, and if the coaching staff see that, I back them. We are having an unexpectedly good start to the season.

We go back to the Henry thread, and everyone needs to know that it would be the stupidest decision in our clubs history not to take Henry.
It was a free hit. He was rated, and still is. If you compare his stats to Frederick, they are not that far apart. Sometimes, we just need to support the team and then we move to a premiership. I hate the ugly talk, when we are doing so well. I get that people have bonds to particular players too.

Well most would agree Amiss is an elite set shot yet he needs covid to get a game.

Henry is a developing player like Amiss, albeit a couple of years older. My point earlier was just highlighting the curiosity that you seem happy to write Henry off while also acknowledging that a player like Colyer was able to improve well into old age (for an AFL player).
Colyer is pretty powerfully built with no apparent negative impact on his speed. Good to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back