Toast Welcome to Freo Caleb Serong– Fremantle’s 2nd 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #8]

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably automatically overlooked because he is eligible again next year. If they gave it to Rowell and someone who deserves it, but could not win it next year because they played too many games. That would suck.
That'd be why for sure. Except Young will win it next year.

Lol.
great line :thumbsu:
I still reckon Brayshaw was the wrong call by the club, but he is a lot better than i have given him credit for.
I wanted Young & Sturt the year before, so there goes the anti-consultant idea :'(
Back to Serong, has any media outlet highlighted THAT handball with about 4 minutes to go in the game against the Tigers, yet?
If not, someone with a media contact should get one of the footy "talking heads" to have a look at it.
That one handball could sway any judges who are sitting on the fence when it comes to Rising Star votes.
That handball and the audacity to bring it out in your first season is the stuff legends are made of.

FULL NAB AFL RISING STAR VOTES
Caleb Serong (Fremantle) 48 votes
Noah Anderson (Gold Coast) 39 votes
Max King (St Kilda) 28 votes
Izak Rankine (Gold Coast) 16 votes
Will Day (Hawthorn) 12 votes
Brandon Starcevich (Brisbane) 6 votes
Kysaiah Pickett (Melbourne) 1 vote

JUDGING PANEL
Gillon McLachlan
5 Caleb Serong
4 Noah Anderson
3 Brandon Starcevich
2 Will Day
1 Izak Rankine

Kevin Bartlett
5 Noah Anderson
4 Caleb Serong
3 Max King
2 Will Day
1 Izak Rankine

Kevin Sheehan
5 Caleb Serong
4 Noah Anderson
3 Max King
2 Brandon Starcevich
1 Izak Rankine

Cameron Ling
5 Caleb Serong
4 Max King
3 Izak Rankine
2 Noah Anderson
1 Kysaiah Pickett

Chris Johnson
5 Noah Anderson
4 Caleb Serong
3 Max King
2 Izak Rankine
1 Will Day

Matthew Richardson
5 Caleb Serong
4 Noah Anderson
3 Max King
2 Will Day
1 Izak Rankine

Warren Tredrea
5 Caleb Serong
4 Noah Anderson
3 Max King
2 Will Day
1 Izak Rankine

Glen Jakovich
5 Caleb Serong
4 Max King
3 Noah Anderson
2 Izak Rankine
1 Brandon Starcevich

Steve Hocking
5 Caleb Serong
4 Noah Anderson
3 Izak Rankine
2 Max King
1 Will Day

Luke Darcy
5 Caleb Serong
4 Noah Anderson
3 Max King
2 Will Day
1 Izak Rankine

I don’t know if I’m reading too much into it but Cameron Ling had links to Serong growing up and voted Noah Anderson down the list maybe just in case it was close?

So now that all the fun and giggle awards are over, what does Serong have to work on for next year to avoid a plateauing effect? Who should he be trying to emulate in terms of development goals?

At times for mine his kicking was pretty rubbish so there seems to be some work there, whilst he also was rendered irrelevant by some of the bigger more powerful midfielders in the competition. Does he have another position that he can play outside of rover if we need to change him up?

So now that all the fun and giggle awards are over, what does Serong have to work on for next year to avoid a plateauing effect? Who should he be trying to emulate in terms of development goals?

At times for mine his kicking was pretty rubbish so there seems to be some work there, whilst he also was rendered irrelevant by some of the bigger more powerful midfielders in the competition. Does he have another position that he can play outside of rover if we need to change him up?

He rushed maybe 10-20% of his kicks. Most of his kicks were very good, especially his short passing into the corridor.

I think it’s fitness, run and receive (connection with other mids), and be a greater threat forward of centre.

Rubbish is a tad harsh, I cant remember too many if any fluffed kicks. He rushed some kicks out of a pack where he didnt realise he had more time but that's a decision making thing rather than kicking, so that's one area for him to improve for me - decision making out of congestion (not that it was that bad).

If he had a checklist I'd have something like
1) Strength/fitness
2) Consistency
3) Hitting the scoreboard more often
3) Decision making under pressure

He needs to get involved in link up play more. He needs to improve his fitness for that, he also will need to go a step further so he can rest forward instead of on the bench - and not those goal square rests, where he would expect to be involved rests forward.

He needs to get involved in link up play more. He needs to improve his fitness for that, he also will need to go a step further so he can rest forward instead of on the bench
To be fair I thought he executed that really well in the Bulldogs finale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Helps to underline what double bumbarse crap this Cripps stuff is. Fyfe is already on a million and Serong, Brayshaw, Cerra, Young, potentially Henry, and Hogan if he recaptures his mojo are all 800 k plus level talents. We simply have no room for A+ talents in our cap going forward in my view.
(Sure guys a level down who are prepared to take a front ended deal using our banked cap would. But genuine stars don't do that: Clubs wouldn't want to either as it makes them vulnerable to poaching).

Is he already booked into our "breeding programme" ?.

Get around him, you Freo lassies.

( no not the bloody dog !!!! )

I think he had a GF from Vic and I’m assuming she came over to WA with him. The young ladies are switched on these days.

Helps to underline what double bumbarse crap this Cripps stuff is. Fyfe is already on a million and Serong, Brayshaw, Cerra, Young, potentially Henry, and Hogan if he recaptures his mojo are all 800 k plus level talents. We simply have no room for A+ talents in our cap going forward in my view.
(Sure guys a level down who are prepared to take a front ended deal using our banked cap would. But genuine stars don't do that: Clubs wouldn't want to either as it makes them vulnerable to poaching).
1. We have front loaded contracts for years. Freo wouldn't have pay 100% of the cap for the last 5 years.
2. When the young kids start earning big coin, Fyfe and Walters will be on less.
3. Other teams can keep star players under the cap exempt the Giants.
4. If we are in the window, players can take a 10-20% pay cut to keep the team.
5. Borderline players can be traded out ie Richmond.

I don't thing Serong will plateau at all, has such determination to improve and he is thriving under JL and Carr.

You mentioned Serong playing as a rover, I think he should be aiming to play as ruck rover as he's so clean and intelligent with disposal by hand in congestion. His ability to work in congestion is his biggest strength IMO, very quick and high footy IQ and was a stand out trait for me this year. I can see him becoming our go to clearance guy in years to come, with Brayshaw and Cerra more in the rover role/more outside.

Darcy taps to Serong, who handballs to Brayshaw, who handballs or kicks to Cerra, who kicks inside 50 to Walters/Sturt/Frederick/Hogan/Taberner/Lobb.... Goal!

I don't thing Serong will plateau at all, has such determination to improve and he is thriving under JL and Carr.

You mentioned Serong playing as a rover, I think he should be aiming to play as ruck rover as he's so clean and intelligent with disposal by hand in congestion. His ability to work in congestion is his biggest strength IMO, very quick and high footy IQ and was a stand out trait for me this year. I can see him becoming our go to clearance guy in years to come, with Brayshaw and Cerra more in the rover role/more outside.

Darcy taps to Serong, who handballs to Brayshaw, who handballs or kicks to Cerra, who kicks inside 50 to Walters/Sturt/Frederick/Hogan/Taberner/Lobb.... Goal!
Rover over ruck rover? Now we are getting retro. Maybe get him working on his drop kicks to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back