Toast Welcome to Freo Caleb Serong– Fremantle’s 2nd 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #8]

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon great Tim Watson says Fremantle Dockers young gun Caleb Serong is under-rated in the AFL​

Headshot of Mitchell Woodcock
Mitchell WoodcockThe West Australian
Wed, 15 June 2022 10:25AM
Mitchell Woodcock

Fremantle midfielder [PLAYERCARD]Caleb Serong[/PLAYERCARD] is continuing his remarkable rise.

Fremantle midfielder Caleb Serong is continuing his remarkable rise. Credit: Jackson Flindell/The West Australian

Essendon great Tim Watson has labelled Fremantle’s Caleb Serong one of the AFL’s most underrated midfielders, describing the rising star as a “complete player”.
Serong has gone under the radar in 2022 on the back of the Brownlow Medal form of teammate Andrew Brayshaw as well as the revelation of recruit Will Brodie after he crossed from Gold Coast last year.
The 21-year-old is averaging 26 disposals, six tackles, four inside 50s and five clearances in 11 games this season.
Only Brayshaw and Brodie average more disposals than Serong, a remarkable effort considering he’s just 47 games into his career.

Three-time Essendon premiership player Watson said Serong was the midfielder that “just doesn’t get the credit that he deserves for the way that he plays.”

“He’s as clean as any midfield player that is going around, he’s as smart as any midfield player going around and he plays inside and outside,” Watson told SEN.

“He’s a complete player in my opinion.
“I think he is because people talk about Brayshaw and then they say, ‘oh yeah, then there’s Serong as well’.
“We talk about the best midfielders in the competition and we don’t talk about him. He’s up there in the conversation around effectiveness around the ball.”
Serong said he felt like he was getting better as the season hits the midway point.
“I think as the seasons gone on I’ve felt more comfortable and been able to get into the games a bit more,” Serong told SportFM.
“I’m really enjoying playing with this midfield at the moment. I think each week, obviously with Fyfey coming in at the weekend added another dimension to it that’s really enjoyable and we’re only going to get better from that.
“Playing with Will for the first time this year and then Blake Acres and Aishy (James Aish)and Nathan O’Driscoll, we’re all getting used to playing with each other and I feel like we’re starting to get on the same page now.”
Serong confirmed Fyfe told Brayshaw and himself to tell the dual Brownlow medallist where to go during their win over Hawthorn on Saturday.

“He just wanted to slide in, let us tell him where to go and obviously as he keeps playing more, he’ll be running the show again,” Serong said.

“Until he feels comfortable I think he’s happy for us to continue to take charge of things like that and it helped Andy and I specifically step up and take more of a leadership role.”

I think he goes at number 2 now, after Noah Anderson. The latter been just as impressive as Serong. Rowell / Jackson at pick 3. Young at 5.

He's underrated on this board too.

On production, have we drafted a player as an 18 year old, who has been as impactful as him this early into their career?

Everyone loves Rowell and Green but we have the best player from that draft in my opinion.

First three seasons Hase would have him covered or it would be very close.

Hopefully Caleb had more self discipline that Hase and makes the most of his extreme talent.

On production, have we drafted a player as an 18 year old, who has been as impactful as him this early into their career?

Everyone loves Rowell and Green but we have the best player from that draft in my opinion.
I don't know if we underrate him. He was just so good so quickly, and hasn't dropped off. We just take for granted that he's only a baby relatively speaking.

I think he goes at number 2 now, after Noah Anderson. The latter been just as impressive as Serong. Rowell / Jackson at pick 3. Young at 5.

Quite a talent rich draft.

Anderson, Green and Serong are a raffle. Jackson is an in unknown but could be better than the lot. Young has missed a lot of footy and is coming on strong. Then there is Rowell who I don't think can be judged until next season. Very strong draft.

I wouldn't say we underrate him, we seem to have a complete suite of solid, interchangeable players, that make individuals seem - aside from Andy - to not go as noticed/appreciated as they are/should. Not to say we don't notice, just it's such a "team first" mentality that individual brilliance gets absorbed by the notion of the team being so efficient and it's the real X-factor or players playing out of their skin that gets the accolades (Freddy a couple of weeks ago, Banfields four goals etc.)

Hase was on fire his first season. Still think it’s one of the best debut seasons out there.

His first 2/3 of the season was terrific until his back become an issue. Still cannot fathom that people thought Rama was robbed of the RS Award that season.

Very good question.
Different types obviously but Rhys Palmer’s debut year in which he won rising star, it was very special because he was Freo’s entire midfield.
Caleb is an amazing player but he has a lot of talent around him. Rhys Palmer didn’t.

Not sure I agree with the sentiment that Caleb is underrated but I can see the point Watson is trying to make. Barrett dedicated a recent ‘9 things we learned’ spot to Caleb’s handskills, claiming there is no better handballer in the game. Caleb has won a Rising Star, AFLPA Rookie of the Year (or whatever it’s called) and goal of the year plus been appointed to the leadership group after 40 odd games. It probably points more to just how special a player Brayshaw has become that there is a conception on the East Coast that Caleb lives in Andy’s shadow but here in WA at least I feel Caleb is very well regarded.

Very good question.
Different types obviously but Rhys Palmer’s debut year in which he won rising star, it was very special because he was Freo’s entire midfield.
Caleb is an amazing player but he has a lot of talent around him. Rhys Palmer didn’t.
Will always be a bit of a mystery to me. He was such an incredible ball magnet in that first year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good question.
Our midfield that year was Carr, Bell, Schammer, as well as Mundy and Pavlich part time, in addition to Palmer.

Serong is a ******* weapon. Felt he spent last season rounding out his game by playing defensive side more, and has been freed up by Brodie coming in. Lightning hands (Miracle Hands Brodie and his trusty sidekick Dynamite Digits), explosive out of the middle, great decision making, great distribution by hand and foot. Complete sums him up.

Sticks his tackles now too (same with Brayshaw). I remember saying a couple of years back how good their games would become when they got bigger & stronger and started sticking them. Glad to say for once I wasn't wrong.

Best of all? He ******* bleeds purple like no one else. Loves the s**t out of Freo and seems hell bent on getting that maiden flag. No bones about it, him and Brayshaw are as important as Fyfe and Mundy both on the pitch and in terms of player retention. Should be VC to Brayshaw when the time comes, is already showing leadership in spades.

Plus he looks like MacGyver.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back