Unofficial Preview JLT cup Strathalbyn, Sunday 25th Feb @ 1.35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

My amateur thoughts:

Newbies:

Gibbs - going to be a tough midfield to control when you add in a player like Bryce to our starting mids. Good start.
Doedee - looked at home, like all intercepting defenders ... will do better with Talia and Hartigan back.
Murphy - excellent attack on the ball, loved his game. Should be leading the charge for second small forward.
Dear - fantastic efforts. Ran hard, made lots of contests, took marks, nice kick. Definitely a chance in 2018.
Fogarty - he just has something this boy, gonna be special. Must play in 2018.
Poholke - I can see why he is being talked about, he attacks the contest and has some great qualities
Signorello - loved his efforts, plays with real fearless intent
Gibson - we'll see what role he gets, expected him to take some time to fit into the systems. Will be better for the run
Hampton - frustrating as usual. He needs to understand what giving 100% means.
CEY - I think it's the role we are struggling to find for him. He has great attributes, but has a panic about him that just stinks it all up.
Keath - doesn't fit the modern defender profile, if he had the tank he might be big winger ... not seeing it.
ROB - decent in the ruck, ordinary skills let him down around the ground.
Hunter - horrid, no way he plays anything beyond SANFL

Existing Notables:
Mackay was his usual self. Did nothing to push for the 22 imo.
Jenkins was beyond putrid, was he injured early?
Otten is slower again.
Cheney is going to struggle this season unless we have injuries.
Seedsman looks great, should play a full season for us.
Atkins could be anything, he has the tools.
Crouch will be one of the best players in the league in 2018.
McGovern is ready to blossom.
Lynch is worth whatever we pay him.
Laird is close to our best player
Brown and Kelly are perfect modern defenders.

After this game, and counting the injuries we have ... my new best 22 for round one is:

B Jake Kelly, Daniel Talia, Luke Brown
HB Rory Laird, Kyle Hartigan, Tom Doedee
C Paul Seedsman, Brad Crouch, Rory Atkins
HF Rory Sloane, Taylor Walker, Tom Lynch
F Harry Dear, Mitch McGovern, Eddie Betts
FOL Sam Jacobs, Matt Crouch, Bryce Gibbs
I/C Sam Gibson, Hugh Greenwood, Richard Douglas, Lachlan Murphy

I’m not confident that Greenwood will play round 1

Pyke is big in picking round 1 teams that have done the work over the summer

Hugh has only got up and running in the last couple of weeks and may need to work his way into the team

Dear may not be the finished article

But he is more valuable than Jenkins in that he plays tall better than Jenkins

Coaches should feel heat if Jenkins plays all 22 games without improving his contested game
I did like that today. A lot of regular 22 might start feeling that heat. I hope they do. I hope the coaches have sent the message

I’m not confident that Greenwood will play round 1

Pyke is big in picking round 1 teams that have done the work over the summer

Hugh has only got up and running in the last couple of weeks and may need to work his way into the team
Wasn’t it over a month ago when he said he has recovered to be faster? That implies he’s been running.

Wasn’t it over a month ago when he said he has recovered to be faster? That implies he’s been running.

He has been running on a modoefoed program and joined he main group couple of weeks ago

And for a player that needs to work on his running this puts him behind the group

He has been running on a modoefoed program and joined he main group couple of weeks ago

And for a player that needs to work on his running this puts him behind the group
Is that a special program devised by Modra for Doedee, Fogerty & Betts...

I thought Hampton played ok. Tried hard and imposed himself at times. Is it a fantastic game? Not as good as Gibbs Crouch or Lynch , on that I do agree.

I specifically set out to look at 5 players. Gibbs, Doedee , Fogarty , Poholke and Gibson.

I thought Gibson did ok. Didnt set the place alight but made a solid contribution
Poholke has something to persist in
Fogarty looked lost at times early but as the game moved on found his spot. Liked the things he did and no complaints about his selection. Hope to see more of him

Doedee should play Round 1. Solid game and loses nothing in comparison to he that shall not be named

And some kid from Carlton got a couple of touches

I also liked Murphy and Keath.

Keath was terrible today. Beaten in almost every 1 on 1. Panicked when he was disposing from the last line and wasn’t strong enough. And not sure if you were mistaken when watching Gibson, but he had zero impact and contributed bugger all. Not going to hang him yet, but today did not validate that he will be a good inclusion.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-25/match-report-adelaide-v-fremantle-jlt1

NEW FACES

Adelaide: Bryce Gibbs was outstanding in his first appearance for the Crows after 231 games for Carlton. Darcy Fogarty – the No.12 pick in last year's draft – had limited game time in the first half, but took a nice grab and booted a goal with his first kick in the third term. Lachlan Murphy made the most of his opportunity, snagging three goals and giving coach Don Pyke something to think about with his excellent forward pressure. Experienced recruit Sam Gibson was quiet on the wing. Tom Doedee, a first-round pick in 2015, was impressive in defence as he aims to take over the role Jake Lever played. Matt Signorello and Paul Hunter didn't have much game time.

Must’ve been a pretty frustrating game of footy to play for most of the players out there today on such a small oval.. it was at time frustrating to watch because of it.. especially difficult for the guys up forward and on the wings..

Can’t wait to see some of these young lads on AO.. Murphy with a bit more room to move to unleash his obvious speed is one I’m really looking forward to.

Keath was terrible today. Beaten in almost every 1 on 1. Panicked when he was disposing from the last line and wasn’t strong enough. And not sure if you were mistaken when watching Gibson, but he had zero impact and contributed bugger all. Not going to hang him yet, but today did not validate that he will be a good inclusion.
Gibson 6 kicks 11 handballs 2 tackles

Keath 9 kicks 0 handballs 2 tackles 5 marks

Sure stats arent the be all but to say Gibson did bugger all is flat out an error. Surprised at 0 handballs for Keath.

At times in the last q we set up after a goal with eight in the back line. I can't remember seeing this with the Crows under Pyke. We were kicking with the wind too, which makes it all the more odd. Jenkins was down back. Maybe to try to get him into the game.
Sweet cos we seriously need to master extra numbers back and turn it into a defensive slog tactics. Only thing missing from our repertior for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't agree. Dermie was spot-on. All he was doing is saying just what the whole of BF was saying (in different words) after seeing the debacle of the GF. It was evident again in most of the second half today: when the hacked ball comes in, we are ordinary. When the deliverers lower their heads and look, we are dynamite. Like him or not, Dermie simply told it like it is: he acknowledged that we have the best forwardline, pointed out the BF-acknowledged weakness, and suggested that, if we can fix this, we will be unbeatable. Moron???
I actually think he’s incorrect. I reckon if our midfield break even with the oppositions mids, our forward line will kick a bigger the score than the others. It’s when our mids get absolutely destroyed is when our forwards look terrible. As do every forward line in the comp

Don't agree. Dermie was spot-on. All he was doing is saying just what the whole of BF was saying (in different words) after seeing the debacle of the GF. It was evident again in most of the second half today: when the hacked ball comes in, we are ordinary. When the deliverers lower their heads and look, we are dynamite. Like him or not, Dermie simply told it like it is: he acknowledged that we have the best forwardline, pointed out the BF-acknowledged weakness, and suggested that, if we can fix this, we will be unbeatable. Moron???
Dermie was saying exactly how Richmond beat us 8n the GF with Rance, Houli and Vlastuin controlling the space our forwards wanted to operate in.

Dermis was spot on in saying most of our forwards fall away when this happens. Even more astute he said how McGovern can still operate in a contested forward line. In fact he thrives on it.

People probably don't want to hear it, but he knows our key problem.

The problem.with Dermie is that he is not a great commentator as he is generally fixated on one point for most of a game, or gets bored and just talks crap.
But he is a dam fine forward coach/analyst.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My Question on Dear is - can he kick the "Joe the Goose" goals?

Jenkins is our finisher, and he gets free cos he's bloody fast and athletic. So, are we going to get a contest at the expense of finishing?
We will have to kick those goals from 15, rather than give the extra handball where JJ can get them from the square.

I actually think he’s incorrect. I reckon if our midfield break even with the oppositions mids, our forward line will kick a bigger the score than the others. It’s when our mids get absolutely destroyed is when our forwards look terrible. As do every forward line in the comp
Whether it's midfielders or forwards I think Dermot got the sentiment right.

For us to be a championship team we need to be able to win the big games when it's not being played on our terms.

This is as much a mental thing as it is physical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back