Autopsy Rd 6 vs Port Adelaide: Bathwater cocktail brings us back to Earth

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked almost all of this except for the bizarre Goldstein replacement.

He won the ruck yesterday.

It's like unless Goldy gets best on ground, it's considered not good enough.

He had 9 contested possessions, 38 hit outs, 4 clearances, 2 contested marks, 3 tackles, 2 goal assists, 6 scoring involvements.

That's a reasonable day.

He had 9 contested possessions, 38 hit outs, 4 clearances, 2 contested marks, 3 tackles, 2 goal assists, 6 scoring involvements.

That's a reasonable day.

Well and truly on top in the hit outs, but the Port mids did a great defensive job on our boys.

That's a reasonable day.

Well and truly on top in the hit outs, but the Port mids did a great defensive job on our boys.

I thought Goldy was good to ok yesterday, but stats can be misleading sometimes... As a comparison, here are Stef Martin's stats against the same team (but away at Adelaide Oval) 3 weeks ago:

16 kicks
14 handballs
14 contested possessions
5 clearances
7 marks
7 tackles
49 hit outs

I’m not surprised at the result. Port are a strong team who were in a form slump. They remind me of us chasing a flag few years ago. These games are going to happen when you are rebuilding. Just gotta move on to the next game and try to improve.

The numbers that standout upon reflection:

-55 in uncontested possessions
-607 overall meters gained
-28 marks
-18 tackles
10 overall goal kickers (PA) to 5 (NM)

The pressure they put on the ball was relentless. When they got the ball, they controlled it with short kicking (not convinced they were 15m....)

The tactical battle was clearly won by Hinkley. The extra man floating back in front of Brown worked perfectly all day. In transition, their speed of ball use through the corridor caught us out on multiple occasions.
We had our extra numbers around the ball, but due to the pressure, they were ineffective as we resorted to bombing it long to their spare defenders.

Our small/mid forwards were really down this game. No scoreboard impact from Atley, Ziebell, Turner and Zurhaar while Gray, Johnson, Neade and Wingard kicked 9 between them.

I thought Goldy was good to ok yesterday, but stats can be misleading sometimes... As a comparison, here are Stef Martin's stats against the same team (but away at Adelaide Oval) 3 weeks ago:

16 kicks
14 handballs
14 contested possessions
5 clearances
7 marks
7 tackles
49 hit outs

What benefit does this ultimately serve Brisbane in the end?

Those stats also crap all over Todd's effort last week, but there's no way Martin exerted Goldsteins presence on the result in that game. Brisbane still got beat.

Martin basically plays as a midfielder whereas Todd gets on the bike and pushes forward, then zones at both end of the ground..

We had our chances as well.

2 x Goldy shots that went OOF.
Ben Jacobs on the run.
Jmac on the run.
Ben Brown's poster.

These were all chances that you would consider genuine shots on goal and we fluffed all of them. That's the margin right there.

We had our chances as well.

2 x Goldy shots that went OOF.
Ben Jacobs on the run.
Jmac on the run.
Ben Brown's poster.

These were all chances that you would consider genuine shots on goal and we fluffed all of them. That's the margin right there.

Throw in 3 goals more to Brown from frees and consistency with the Dixon/JZ thing and there's the result.

What benefit does this ultimately serve Brisbane in the end?

Those stats also crap all over Todd's effort last week, but there's no way Martin exerted Goldsteins presence on the result in that game. Brisbane still got beat.

Martin basically plays as a midfielder whereas Todd gets on the bike and pushes forward, then zones at both end of the ground..

I understand that they're different types of ruckmen, but hang on a moment, the team that hasn't won a game all year lost by 5 points to a team that is likely to make the finals... And on the road... And Christensen should have won the game... So yeah, I think it's fair to state that Martin exerted some influence on that game.

I understand that they're different types of ruckmen, but hang on a moment, the team that hasn't won a game all year lost by 5 points to a team that is likely to make the finals... And on the road... And Christensen should have won the game... So yeah, I think it's fair to state that Martin exerted some influence on that game.

Do you think he influenced the game to the extent Todd did last week?

It really is that simple, but I think I'll blame Kayne Turner anyway.

Turner had figures for that game that were well above his season and career averages for everything except goals. He and JZ led our tackle count.

Do you think he influenced the game to the extent Todd did last week?

The original comparison was to this week and that was easier to compare as it's the same opposition team.

But to answer your question; Kinda, but probably just short of Goldy's performance last week, where he was BOG at qtr time and had a great last quarter (mainly on the ground imo a'la Stef, rather than rucking).

But yeah, either way, stats can be misleading. I think what some people are saying is that Goldy should have torn Port apart. Personally, I think it was great coaching by Hinkley to throw the curve ball that was Dixon at him. Plus, did the bearded bugger take a rest at all? He seemed to ruck almost the entire game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The original comparison was to this week and that was easier to compare as it's the same opposition team.

But to answer your question; Kinda, but probably just short of Goldy's performance last week, where he was BOG at qtr time and had a great last quarter (mainly on the ground imo a'la Stef, rather than rucking).

But yeah, either way, stats can be misleading. I think what some people are saying is that Goldy should have torn Port apart. Personally, I think it was great coaching by Hinkley to throw the curve ball that was Dixon at him. Plus, did the bearded bugger take a rest at all? He seemed to ruck almost the entire game!

Dixon was competitive but Goldy clearly headed him in the quality of hit outs. It was the Port structures around our mids that quelled his influence.

We were broken down a lot.

Most of our outside second link blokes had very ordinary days. Hinkley went to work on Hartung, Dumont, MacMillan, Ats & Zurhaar and blunted their effectiveness. IMO, that and the umpiring were the result in a nutshell.

Beaten on the ground in the middle
Beaten on the ground in defence
Beaten on the ground in attack

Brad seems to value our potential to gain advantage from our talls. He promotes long kicks to contests when we have the ball and i guess (given selections) hopes midfield pressure forces long D50 entries.

Unlike when he assisted at collingwood tho, we don't, and haven't for a very long time, dominate once the ball hits the ground. He MUST know that. At most a handful of games in years. So he promotes long kicking to contests because he thinks we'll mark it often enough to justify the risk of losing possession when we don't and it doesn't go oob?

I just don't reckon any team can be a dominant force due to aerial suppremecy. We aren't. I'm just frustrated, like every other team we look the goods when maintaining possession and I see us giving it away soon often.

The numbers that standout upon reflection:

-55 in uncontested possessions
-607 overall meters gained
-28 marks
-18 tackles
10 overall goal kickers (PA) to 5 (NM)

The pressure they put on the ball was relentless. When they got the ball, they controlled it with short kicking (not convinced they were 15m....)

The tactical battle was clearly won by Hinkley. The extra man floating back in front of Brown worked perfectly all day. In transition, their speed of ball use through the corridor caught us out on multiple occasions.
We had our extra numbers around the ball, but due to the pressure, they were ineffective as we resorted to bombing it long to their spare defenders.

Our small/mid forwards were really down this game. No scoreboard impact from Atley, Ziebell, Turner and Zurhaar while Gray, Johnson, Neade and Wingard kicked 9 between them.

Maj should have been moved forward in the middle of the 3rd. Same as the Melbourne game. Both Melbourne and Port had smaller forward lines and while Maj was good, he could have provided what we needed forward when Brown and Waite began to lack impact. That is one of the advantages of having a player like Maj, he covers all 3 areas of the ground. He is also easily the best pack mark in the team so no idea why we just let Brown struggle against 2 or 3 for the majority of the game.

I'd be bringing in Walker and Ahern as well as Higgins and leave LDU in for next week. We need to build the midfield up. Take out Turner, Lmac and Ats if they supposedly aren't performing. Play zieball forward for 80% of his match time and rotate the others through the forward line and wing/half back as well as the middle.

We have Sydney up there so without being a defeatist I can't quite see us prevailing; so why not try to blood some new players for underperformers? The defence is fine enough and the forward structure is okay but the middle is where we are really short and get found out and as I said earlier, I want some players who can accumulate every/most weeks.

Can’t agree re effort and intensity. To me they were not ‘on’ at all. GC game replayed in terms of intesnity. Too many players flat footed and just not moving. Poor effort overall.

Really? I thought it was there, just that Port were slightly more hungry, cleaner and played our talls brilliantly.
Even the commentators who usually bash us said they cant recall a more intense game played this year.

Don’t normally post on opposition boards but it’s the first Kangaroos game I’ve seen for a while.
Was impressed with the improvement in Majak Daw. His effort was impressive today and his tackle on our captain should have been a spark for you guys.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it was a spark, we had control for probably the next 5 minutes but unfortunately for us Port held us brilliantly and then scored the next goal which hurt big time. I didnt think we played badly today, just Port played that smidge better the whole game.

I'm at the Dees and * game Spargo running riot . Why didn't we pick him up his dad was one of my favourites in the 80s .

I'd be bringing in Walker and Ahern as well as Higgins and leave LDU in for next week. We need to build the midfield up. Take out Turner, Lmac and Ats if they supposedly aren't performing. Play zieball forward for 80% of his match time and rotate the others through the forward line and wing/half back as well as the middle.

We have Sydney up there so without being a defeatist I can't quite see us prevailing; so why not try to blood some new players for underperformers? The defence is fine enough and the forward structure is okay but the middle is where we are really short and get found out and as I said earlier, I want some players who can accumulate every/most weeks.
Think a will walker selection may be a little premature atm.

Wow the negativity on hear is astounding. Coming off a big game last week I think we were a touch down, but we were simply beaten by a better team who applied constant pressure across the ground all day.

Plus those calling for Goldstein to be dropped have NFI. Preuss is still a fair way behind him in tap work and getting around the ground. People have very short memories as it was only last week that Goldy's ruckwork was so widely applauded.

And I am sick of the JMac bashing. Surely the people in charge of coaching know a bit about the players than some of the keyboard warriors on here...

Finally let me point out that at the start of the year we were all expecting to be bottom 4 this season and now everyone is carrying on after losing to a finals contender????

Seriously chill out peeps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back