Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's not us getting rid of him it's more will want to go somewhere to get more of a run.... I hope he stays
He'll get games once he is fit to do so. He has been injured, but is best 22 when fit. He'd replace O'Conner in our current side.

Could be a long list of outs at the end of this year.

Scott Selwood and Zac Smith would be certain departures. Harry and GAJ are possible retirements (though I think Gary will go on). It's tough to see how Bews and Henderson will get back in the side and they are out of contract at the end of the year, and there's possible departures in Buzza, Jones and Cunico.

We thats reassuring we will have room to use a pick in the 60's .. LOL

It will all pan out I guess depending on the ins and the outs...

So now StKilda linked to Coniglio .. along with Carlton ... and the one who looms large is Haw ....

and not a mention of us ... Not sure if we are just being quiet till the TK thing is settled later in the year.. or we just dont want to spend Coniglio money ..which would rule our JKelly as well

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...o/news-story/0cebca40f362bd77c0bf1782e2ee71c2

This year’s top free agency target Stephen Coniglio will have crucial talks on his future next month as clubs including Hawthorn, St Kilda and Carlton circle.
Coniglio, 25, has bolstered his reputation as one of the best two-way midfield runners in the game as part of a blistering start to the season.

Greater Western Sydney remains confident Coniglio will re-sign on a long-term deal to stay at the club after previously inking a series of two-year contracts.

No way would we be getting rid of Bews.
We may not have a choice.

If he doesn't play as a walk-up start at the end of the year - and unless there are significant injuries, I don't know who I'd drop for him - then he may leave under Free Agency if there is a taker.

Bews was always going to be in trouble the moment that a player or two with defensive *and* attacking capabilities came into the picture. O'Connor, Tuohy, Stewart, Kolo, Guthrie, Clark and Henry are all in front of him for the small defender roles now IMO.

If O'Connor keeps his form no way will he be dropped for anyone and will only keep getting better with more games
O'Connor just got coaches votes this week.

The 22yo Irish rookie with 12 games also has far more upside than a 25yo Bews, who has been in the system for eight years now and seemingly went backwards in 2018.

O'Connor gets a game ahead of Bews at the moment. One of he or Jordy Clark is going to be awfully unlucky when Tuohy returns to the lineup.

If he doesn't play as a walk-up start at the end of the year - and unless there are significant injuries, I don't know who I'd drop for him - then he may leave under Free Agency if there is a taker.

Bews was always going to be in trouble the moment that a player or two with defensive *and* attacking capabilities came into the picture. O'Connor, Tuohy, Stewart, Kolo, Guthrie, Clark and Henry are all in front of him for the small defender roles now IMO.

Yep. A lot of posters seem to overrate Bews on this board - I copped a bit of s**t last year for suggesting that, while Bews was sound defensively, he offered us nothing the other way. Good defenders do both.

I wouldn't be that fussed if Bews left, to be honest. More than happy for him to stay mind you, but I think he is going to find himself a depth player rather than best 22.

O'Connor has shown more already than Bews ever has imo, and has far more scope for improvement.

Spot on. We should have 4 on our list at a minimum. 2 genuine small forwards are not enough
With a likely deal with WCE looming would the cats look at Charlie Cameron's little brother as part of it. Explosive/exciting small forward turned it on at KP in champs last year. Not sure how he is tracking in WAFL.

O'Connor just got coaches votes this week.

The 22yo Irish rookie with 12 games also has far more upside than a 25yo Bews, who has been in the system for eight years now and seemingly went backwards in 2018.

O'Connor gets a game ahead of Bews at the moment. One of he or Jordy Clark is going to be awfully unlucky when Tuohy returns to the lineup.

Unfortuetly we have just added and added backline talent .. and I suspect Bews will get left without a seat when the music stops.. shame he cant move into the middle to give himself more options.

Could be a long list of outs at the end of this year.

Scott Selwood and Zac Smith would be certain departures. Harry and GAJ are possible retirements (though I think Gary will go on). It's tough to see how Bews and Henderson will get back in the side and they are out of contract at the end of the year, and there's possible departures in Buzza, Jones and Cunico.

Hendo is a tricky one for us to manage. I don't think he's in our best 22 this year, but we may well need him next year if Harry retires, so there's pressure from a future planning perspective to ensure he doesn't get too disenchanted with life at Geelong in 2019 if we want to retain his services next year. Awkward position for both the club and the player to be in, particularly given his age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hendo is a tricky one for us to manage. I don't think he's in our best 22 this year, but we may well need him next year if Harry retires, so there's pressure from a future planning perspective to ensure he doesn't get too disenchanted with life at Geelong in 2019 if we want to retain his services next year. Awkward position for both the club and the player to be in, particularly given his age.
The one saving grace could be that I don't know if anyone else will take him on. Hawthorn could probably do with a key defender.

Unfortuetly we have just added and added backline talent .. and I suspect Bews will get left without a seat when the music stops.. shame he cant move into the middle to give himself more options.

Why can't he, what's to stop him? I've always thought midfield would suit him fine. That's where he should ask to be played.

No way would we be getting rid of Bews.

We wouldnt but he is a free agent and if he got a big money deal elsewhere (which i think is unlikely) i doubt we would match it.

Most of those guys are not small defenders though. We will want to keep him for depth unless we bring another quality small defender in. Its only if another club offers him more secure gametime and bigger money that he might go. We wont delist him whereas guys like Smith Cunico Scooter etc we will.

We wouldnt but he is a free agent and if he got a big money deal elsewhere (which i think is unlikely) i doubt we would match it.

Discussed during the Cat Attack podcast this week - suggested that Pickering (his manager) will already be speaking with other clubs to determine interest elsewhere

He can't find enough of the ball.

Besides, there's a long queue for midfield time down at Geelong at the moment.

Of course he would as a midfielder rather than a lock down defender.
Like to see him have a crack at it in the two's.
Nothing to lose according to most on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back