Roast Gerard Whateley’s Rant on AFL360 (22/08/19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Gerard be happy if Ken took over as coach of Geelong instead of Scott? Would Geelong be happy to have Ken as a head coach over Scott?

If Ken is so good and port had the guts to fire him, clubs would be falling over each other to pick him up, especially in one of the 4 clubs who have fired coaches this year. But they aren't, because Ken isn't any good.

I'd also add that you don't get to pull the Rebuild Card unless you actually acknowledged that you were doing a rebuild prior to the season.

I didn't attend the Member Convention this year but from what I read/heard the closest they got to admitting they were rebuilding the list was a forecast on the list assessment that showed this season (2019) being a dip with next season (2020) lifting back up.

Perhaps an honest club would have given a clearer indication that the reason we traded Wingard, Polec, Pittard etc was to reboot the list and that this season was about getting games into the players on the cusp of the 22.

It would have set the expectations for the season, would have given a better context for Ken's "best win evar!" comment after our RD1 win against Melbourne, provided a clearer understanding of our selection strategies, given more time to our injured senior players to recover, and possibly even given a better rationale for the co-captains situation. (eg "we're going to trial it for this year, not giving up on the #1 for good, just in this rebuild period, yada yada")

Accepting we began a rebuild/reboot end of last seasons, the one thing that stands out as being a "ok, why the fu** did we do that then" situation, is the mid-season drafting of Cam Sutcliffe and subsequent games played for a nett effect of zero. If anyone can provide me a rationale for that, I'm all ears. I suspect it is about player payment and contract triggers; the club needed a cheap plug-n-play player to reduce the number of 'games played' triggers from our cusp players.

At the start of the season when I got to interview Ken and Davies for the convention promo for the website, I asked them about 15-18 questions but they only released footage of one.

I think the second question I asked was along the lines of "A number of speakers at last years convention spoke about going ‘all in’ for a premiership over the next couple of seasons. This off season we’ve lost our main two outside ball users in Polec and Wingard who averaged 46 disposals and 8 inside 50’s between them. Has the departure of two prime aged midfielders from the squad put a dent in our premiership chances in 2019 and where does their departure leave the heavy recruitment campaign of 12 months ago?"

The answer from both was that we were very much still in all in for a flag and that whilst those two would be a loss, players we had waiting in the wings would make up for their loss, with improvement from other parts of the squad as well. They believed they had a premiership squad in 2019.

Funnily enough, the last question I asked was "By September 2019 it will be 5 calender years since our last finals win. I don’t think many would have predicted that be the case internally or externally at the end of 2014. Do you feel we’ve underachieved under your watch in that time? "

So where has this come from?

Is it just Gerard trying to be controversial for ratings, or is there a PR puppet-master behind this and other recent pro-Hinkley spin?
If so, who?

I doubt the club would be so stupid to run with something like this after the disastrous co-captain media spin that actually made things worse. How would telling your own supporters "it's your fault we have no money, please come to the game, Maybe We Ken Soon" be seen as the best communication strategy at this point?

The AFL surely would have learnt from the Goodes Booing saga that telling a bunch of football supporters how they should behave will give you the exact opposite result. They are driven by $$ and any risk of losing $$ would be avoided.

It has to be the Hinkley camp.
I'm firmly of the belief it's the Hinkley camp.

No club would ever leak that their in financial trouble, that the supporter base or 80% of it is wrong and causing all the financial issues or one of the main causes, or any of the s**t that came out this past week. If the club did there would be bridges burnt with some fans, some forever. I can't see the club being that stupid.

All of these stories are defending one man over a entire supporter base, pointing out how great a bloke and coach he is, and it's a dangerous path. It won't sway the supporter base in his favour, it will push the majority away or further away.

Kornes getting close to Chaplin levels with constant and heavy digs at players while vehemently defending his mate Ken.

I think Kane has some point. Its not all on Ken. Some of these players failed under Primus and were involved in some shambolic losses under him and Choco too.

Its why ill be happy when some of these gross chokers leave the club

I don't agree with his opinion, I can just see where he is coming from. This site has a victim mentality problem with journalists.
No, I just think people have a problem with bullshit journalists... and there are a plethora of them. The mainstream media is full of these parasitic degenerates but it's okay because Satan will send them to the fiery depths of hell where their heads will be chomped on by a giant demon bird and expelled into a Hellmouth, awake, as waste, while other demonic beasts fly out of body cavities and others void themselves in the crowded cloaca of the damned below.

We are all having a crack at Whateley but Kane Cornes' article in this morning's press was more of the same. Accordingly to Kornes there is no need to worry as Port are in a good place. Richmond were in an identical position in 2016 and they didn't take any notice of a supporters group call to sack Hardwick so according to Kane next year will be a Premiership year for Port. All we need to do is sit back and enjoy the ride.

Notice that Kane could not help plugging the SEN SA connection and Hinkley's appearance on the programme.

What happens if Hinkley survives and we do not make the eight in 2020 Kane? That will make it five non finals years out of six. Do we continue looking at Richmond for inspiration and hope for a Premiership in 2021? Or do we say, 'enough is enough' and finally do what we should have done at the end of 2018?

Wouldn’t it be great if some of these so called media people actually had an original,thought. Kane quotes Whateley, Nick Riewoldt and preaches about the Richmond way of doing things,what a pity he didn’t bother to do a bit of thinking and actually look at what Hinkley in his time as coach and those 8n charge have achieved over the past six years and explain why he is so,sure things will be better. Over the past seasons PA has imported a lot of players eg Motlop, Watts, Dixon, Lycett Ryder, Rockliff, Burton, Sutcliffe, Trengrove, most have not produced anything near what was expected and sent others to other clubs, many who have improved. The playing of Sutcliffe an aging castoff instead Speaks volumes of why PA is not rebuilding towards a flag under Hinkley. So Kane and others stick to facts, stop.navel gazing, and be honest.After a short time in the AFL competition this club achieved the ultimate with little,help from the AFL, so we don’t need some Victorian hack in whateley preaching how to run our club now.

I think Kane has some point. Its not all on Ken. Some of these players failed under Primus and were involved in some shambolic losses under him and Choco too.

Hoff, Hartlett and Gray are the three main players for mine when it comes to this. Whenever we play all you need to do is watch those three for the first 5 minutes to see if we'll win or lose. Hartlett on Ziebell in the first minute last week was the prime example.

Everyone apart from us supporters are happy with the club being in the ranks of North, St. Kilda and Freo!

As long as they get paid or we contribute to the TV deal, nobody cares.

If we hadn't gone for the license in the first place, I doubt there would even be a second SA team in the AFL.

By watering down our OWN history and heritage we are kowtowing to people who want this s**t state of affairs!

Some of the best inputs in this thread have been by opposition supporters. That’s when you know you’ve reached pity levels.

As a Melbourne supporter I know all about pity levels, but it isn’t pity. Liked ports colours as a kid and generally enjoyed watching them play over the years, I get frustrated with Hinkley because Port were traditionally a good side to watch yet under old mate you play 1 good game in 4 and the other 3 are defensive slogs.

Who would you take notice of coming out in support of Ken? Kornes, Whately, Rucci, Rowie/Bicks or would you
Listen if it was Tredders, Timmy G, Jack hell even Byron or Wangas. Where's the vocal support from those guys?

I don't agree with his opinion, I can just see where he is coming from. This site has a victim mentality problem with journalists.

The problem people have is that this is the first coach under pressure that he has come out and publicly accused the supporters of being the problem. Where were his condescending rants towards Saint fans, North Melbourne fans, Essendon fans this year? Where were his attacks on Collingwood and Richmond fans, when the wider football community were baying for Buckley and Hardwick's blood?

Nowhere, that's where. People can see through this charade and are rightly ****ed off. This has been orchestrated plain and simple for Hinkley's benefit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the start of the season when I got to interview Ken and Davies for the convention promo for the website, I asked them about 15-18 questions but they only released footage of one.

I think the second question I asked was along the lines of "A number of speakers at last years convention spoke about going ‘all in’ for a premiership over the next couple of seasons. This off season we’ve lost our main two outside ball users in Polec and Wingard who averaged 46 disposals and 8 inside 50’s between them. Has the departure of two prime aged midfielders from the squad put a dent in our premiership chances in 2019 and where does their departure leave the heavy recruitment campaign of 12 months ago?"

The answer from both was that we were very much still in all in for a flag and that whilst those two would be a loss, players we had waiting in the wings would make up for their loss, with improvement from other parts of the squad as well. They believed they had a premiership squad in 2019.

Funnily enough, the last question I asked was "By September 2019 it will be 5 calender years since our last finals win. I don’t think many would have predicted that be the case internally or externally at the end of 2014. Do you feel we’ve underachieved under your watch in that time? "

So, they were either lying to you (possible) or themselves (also possible).

We’ve all heard about the data warehouse-worship, where a certain level of regression was budgeted for this year, with the expectation that it’s all systems go in 2020.

But yikes.

Short of a Richmondesque influx of three crucial plug’n’play guys from elsewhere, it’s almost impossible to see any sort of spike on this year, given arguably our best dozen players have already played their best footy.

Rozee should be a superstar in 5 years.

Duursma is already tracking to be the next Isaac Smith.

Butters, who knows what his future holds.

But they’re obviously only 3 of 22 in a given week. You’d think we were an NBA team having locked down our C/SF/PG positions for a decade the way the hypemachine tells it.

We are all having a crack at Whateley but Kane Cornes' article in this morning's press was more of the same. Accordingly to Kornes there is no need to worry as Port are in a good place. Richmond were in an identical position in 2016 and they didn't take any notice of a supporters group call to sack Hardwick so according to Kane next year will be a Premiership year for Port. All we need to do is sit back and enjoy the ride.

Notice that Kane could not help plugging the SEN SA connection and Hinkley's appearance on the programme.

What happens if Hinkley survives and we do not make the eight in 2020 Kane? That will make it five non finals years out of six. Do we continue looking at Richmond for inspiration and hope for a Premiership in 2021? Or do we say, 'enough is enough' and finally do what we should have done at the end of 2018?
Again this comparison to Richmond makes me laugh when they consistently made finals. There issue was winning one .

Lol what was the answer?

ill name them, hartlett, wines, ebert, westhoff, jonas, dixon. Now you might say these are pretty good players and they are but you will find these are the ones that usually go missing when its time to step up, the only one i might be a bit harsh on is Jonas but he does have shockers along the way. Im not mentioning fringe player or younger players im talking about the senior players who talk tough and perform not so tough, the sad bit is both the captains and the VC are in that group

Did you get an answer? Was it just spin?

I'm firmly of the belief it's the Hinkley camp.

No club would ever leak that their in financial trouble, that the supporter base or 80% of it is wrong and causing all the financial issues or one of the main causes, or any of the s**t that came out this past week. If the club did there would be bridges burnt with some fans, some forever. I can't see the club being that stupid.

All of these stories are defending one man over a entire supporter base, pointing out how great a bloke and coach he is, and it's a dangerous path. It won't sway the supporter base in his favour, it will push the majority away or further away.
Look at his manager Peter Blucher's record. 40 years in sports industry working as a - sports journo first, then worked for Brisbane Lions for a decade in the media section, did some stuff with the Brisbane Broncos and a player manager for about a decade now.

He is/was Kurt Tippett's manager. He is dodgy as.

Look at his manager Peter Blucher's record. 40 years in sports industry working as a - sports journo first, then worked for Brisbane Lions for a decade in the media section, did some stuff with the Brisbane Broncos and a player manager for about a decade now.

He is/was Kurt Tippett's manager. He is dodgy as.
That's why it's obvious to me where it's all coming from. Has been to me since it started.

I find it poor the club can't defend the supporters from media attacks basically.

That's why it's obvious to me where it's all coming from. Has been to me since it started.

I find it poor the club can't defend the supporters from media attacks basically.
There is more politics in AFL, than politics in Canberra. Our club will never get away from it because of the BS started in 1990.

I agree with Whately, we finished around where I thought we would.

However, you base that off previous form under Hinkley and going to the draft for players. Hinkley has categorically failed in the 4 years previous to this year. In exam terms You don’t get 4 F’s and a C- and then get to keep your job.
I actually agree with Whatley in the fact we finished better than I thought we would preseason.

But this is because I have such a low expectation on Ken's ability rather than the playing group.

Ken's cuck is so off the mark uneducated on his opinion here that it makes me utterly sick in my stomach that he is getting paid for his opinions......and I liked Whately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back