Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough Turbo. Many will disagree with my proposed approach. After the Collingwood QF, I probably had similar thoughts to you. But I saw enough in our last two finals to justify having one last crack at it. But many others will disagree and that's fair.

It was alway over after the Pies final. I guess im closer to being ready to just push the E Stop. Not cause I think we will be poor but cause I dont think we can be great or close enough to it..not with Kelly gone , not cause our top end is short of talent because they are short of time left. Im willing to go hard at draft this year OR trade for young talent.. and then let at matures again next year.

Menegola is a FA next year. IF we want to keep him we need him to sign now..say 2 years. If he doesnt want to ..then we have to explore options ... as if we go for multiple FA's next year ...we get no comp for him.

If we were offered a 2nd or future 2nd round pick then the club would surely hand to seriously consider the offer because we wouldn't get that as FA compo - especially if we are targeting a FA next year as we'd get nothing as you said.

A future pick could be good as it gives us the option next year of either using it or involving it in a trade next year who may be looking at banking points

I'm pretty buoyant that we can give the flag another real shake next year. I tipped Richmond to win the flag mid-year and was laughed at by everyone, but at full strength they were always the best team in it and they proved that when it mattered.

Aside from the usual post-bye debacle against Collingwood in the QF, I thought we took some big strides in the finals this year. Our performance against West Coast was very, very good. We pushed Richmond all the way missing Hawkins, Duncan and Clark and if not for some errant kicking at goal in that second quarter, we could be premiers. We should of been 6-7 goals up at half time and that's probably a bridge too far for Richmond. A disappointing result in the end, but a lot of positives to be taken out of it as no other team could get near them in the end.

Kelly is a massive loss, but I'd like to see the following occur in order for us to replace him as best we can:

Outs:

Kelly traded to West Coast for a top 10 pick and pick 14. Lets just say picks 10* and 14.

Abbott traded to wherever for a late pick - 70's, 80's, he's contracted, so it's about freeing up a list spot to make room for ZGuthrie to be upgraded which will no doubt annoy many on here.

Smith traded for a late pick ala Abbott or delisted.

Buzza delisted (I can't believe he hasn't been already)

Ins:

Pick 14 traded to Adelaide for B.Crouch. $700k per year. This man could be our Dion Prestia. Without Prestia, Tigers probably don't win the flag this year.

Pick 36 to be traded for Steven (Not ideal but he's contracted and IMO, we have one last big crack at a flag so it could be a masterstroke). Risky, but no risk no reward. Imagine if we fall just short again and we'd be left thinking Steven could of been the difference? All of a sudden we'd love to get Doc Brown's time machine and go back and trade pick 36 for him. If we weren't a chance at a flag, forget all about Steven, but we are.

Pick 56 traded to Richmond for Kamdyn McIntosh. Premiership player who is 25 with 90 games under his belt. 16-games this year. He has been a victim of playing in a great side. This bloke runs his guts out both ways. He also kicked 3-goals in the 2018 QF against the Hawks. He can play and would come cheaply.

Pick 92 traded to Adelaide for Jenkins providing he takes a massive pay cut, which he has openly stated he will do in order to continue his career. This will divide many on here but lets just say he'd be cheap depth in the event Hawkins or Sav go down with a significant injury. Jenkins will be better than someone picked up with a pick in the 80's in the draft. Richmond have proved that depth plays an important role in winning premierships.

Henderson retained on minimum wage as depth and injury cover for Blitz, Taylor, Kolo etc.

We take picks 10, 17 (And whatever other picks we end up with) to the draft.

*Cue the "Glad you're not our list manager comments"

:)

Don't mind Camden or big Josh late would add a bit of size which we lack.
Wouldn't mind Riccardi with an early pick either.

If Brisbane bring in another small and tell him he fits by moving Linc etc ..up the ground ... I hope we have a look at who is missing out... A kid called Ely Smith is a big bodied mid ..that we might be able to get cheap. P21 last year... .. do they take a late R2?

I was big time into Ely Smith last draft if we can get his services and develop reminds me of Mitch Robinson really tough and hard. Yes if possible.

Had 12 games at 19.3 possessions a game this kid would be gtreat to develop as l first thought.
But how would you get him now?

Last edited:

Agree, worst case is they're cheap depth. No team is made up of all superstars, you need role players who can adhere to a system. Richmond have also proved depth is a key element to winning premierships. We can replace Kelly's inside, contested work with Crouch, and his outside run with Steven, whilst still taking two first round picks to the draft and looking after our future. I think it's not a bad strategy.

Agree, worst case is they're cheap depth. No team is made up of all superstars, you need role players who can adhere to a system. Richmond have also proved depth is a key element to winning premierships. We can replace Kelly's inside, contested work with Crouch, and his outside run with Steven, whilst still taking two first round picks to the draft and looking after our future. I think it's not a bad strategy.

Really not sure about Steven..... In particular, where he's 'at'

Can't be easy for him, but we just can't afford that risk again imo.

My god does trade radio sound like an endless drone of stupid speculation

Nothing like the very serious and insightful trade discussions on places like Big Footy...

Big yes to Riccardi but there's no need to burn an early pick on him.

It was alway over after the Pies final. I guess im closer to being ready to just push the E Stop. Not cause I think we will be poor but cause I dont think we can be great or close enough to it..not with Kelly gone , not cause our top end is short of talent because they are short of time left. Im willing to go hard at draft this year OR trade for young talent.. and then let at matures again next year.

Kelly is a big loss. But if we get Crouch and Steven in for a first and second round pick, whilst still taking two first round picks to the draft, one could argue we have not only mitigated Kelly's loss but possibly come out ahead. Kelly's loss is not the end of the world if Wells and Co are smart about it.

Lots of ifs, buts and maybes, but Crouch and Steven at their best will be significant additions to this team. Combine that with further development of Narkle, Parfitt, Constable, Miers etc, and it's not doom and gloom by a long shot. Teams lose good players all the time, it's the reality of the modern game, it's how you handle the situation that dictates how things pan out.

Really not sure about Steven..... In particular, where he's 'at'

Can't be easy for him, but we just can't afford that risk again imo.

Certainly a risk there, no doubt, but for pick 36 or 56, I think he's well worth a shot given where we're at. I think we can't afford to trade a first round pick for him, that's a risk not worth taking given his age and issues, but pick 36 or later for a player of his quality and given Kelly's departure, I'm very keen.

Mate if these guys are depth you're traveling pretty well.
I can see both quickly stating case early both are way better than reserves.
Way better than what's running around in our reserves right now.

Mate if these guys are depth you're traveling pretty well.
I can see both quickly stating case early both are way better than reserves.

I don't disagree, hence the reason I want them recruited given how cheap they will be. When I say they could be depth, that's worst case as I believe they can be good contributors in our 22. Too many people only want to recruit superstars and not role players who can play a role within a system. Richmond have plenty of these guys.

St Kilda will want Stevens to go so they can clear up some time for Total Player Payments to fit in Hill, Ryder, Jones etc... They will take a pick in the 50s... It's called playing Poker...

For a pick in the 50's, his recruitment really does become a no-brainer. We need to back in our good culture and support networks and get the best out of him. He's a very good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda will want Stevens to go so they can clear up some time for Total Player Payments to fit in Hill, Ryder, Jones etc... They will take a pick in the 50s... It's called playing Poker...

I think they are wanting a higher pick as they probably feel they need it for the other trades they are trying to get done

I think they are wanting a higher pick as they probably feel they need it for the other trades they are trying to get done
It seems a lot to ask us to not only fork out a first round but to pick up his contract as well considering his age, fitness and lack of games this year

I don’t blame them for pushing it hard....I just find it absurd

I'm pretty buoyant that we can give the flag another real shake next year. I tipped Richmond to win the flag mid-year and was laughed at by everyone, but at full strength they were always the best team in it and they proved that when it mattered.

Aside from the usual post-bye debacle against Collingwood in the QF, I thought we took some big strides in the finals this year. Our performance against West Coast was very, very good. We pushed Richmond all the way missing Hawkins, Duncan and Clark and if not for some errant kicking at goal in that second quarter, we could be premiers. We should of been 6-7 goals up at half time and that's probably a bridge too far for Richmond. A disappointing result in the end, but a lot of positives to be taken out of it as no other team could get near them in the end.

Kelly is a massive loss, but I'd like to see the following occur in order for us to replace him as best we can:

Outs:

Kelly traded to West Coast for a top 10 pick and pick 14. Lets just say picks 10* and 14.

Abbott traded to wherever for a late pick - 70's, 80's, he's contracted, so it's about freeing up a list spot to make room for ZGuthrie to be upgraded which will no doubt annoy many on here.

Smith traded for a late pick ala Abbott or delisted.

Buzza delisted (I can't believe he hasn't been already)

Ins:

Pick 14 traded to Adelaide for B.Crouch. $700k per year. This man could be our Dion Prestia. Without Prestia, Tigers probably don't win the flag this year.

Pick 36 to be traded for Steven (Not ideal but he's contracted and IMO, we have one last big crack at a flag so it could be a masterstroke). Risky, but no risk no reward. Imagine if we fall just short again and we'd be left thinking Steven could of been the difference? All of a sudden we'd love to get Doc Brown's time machine and go back and trade pick 36 for him. If we weren't a chance at a flag, forget all about Steven, but we are.

Pick 56 traded to Richmond for Kamdyn McIntosh. Premiership player who is 25 with 90 games under his belt. 16-games this year. He has been a victim of playing in a great side. This bloke runs his guts out both ways. He also kicked 3-goals in the 2018 QF against the Hawks. He can play and would come cheaply.

Pick 92 traded to Adelaide for Jenkins providing he takes a massive pay cut, which he has openly stated he will do in order to continue his career. This will divide many on here but lets just say he'd be cheap depth in the event Hawkins or Sav go down with a significant injury. Jenkins will be better than someone picked up with a pick in the 80's in the draft. Richmond have proved that depth plays an important role in winning premierships.

Henderson retained on minimum wage as depth and injury cover for Blitz, Taylor, Kolo etc.

We take picks 10, 17 (And whatever other picks we end up with) to the draft.

*Cue the "Glad you're not our list manager comments"

:)
Not bad, though I'd doubt the crows let Crouch go for 13.

I think also with Jenkins he's saying he'll take a pay cut to play footy at an AFL club and not the 2s so if we're getting him to want to come here it's at Kreuger/Savs expense. That's a sticking point

If Brisbane bring in another small and tell him he fits by moving Linc etc ..up the ground ... I hope we have a look at who is missing out... A kid called Ely Smith is a big bodied mid ..that we might be able to get cheap. P21 last year... .. do they take a late R2?
Cedric Cox, Lewis Taylor, Zac Bailey, Toby Woller... they have a few that would be of interest. Is Taylor a chance to be delisted?

On the Steven situation, Wells said something last week about how there’s different ways a trade can get done depending on who picks up the salary of the player. The message I took was we might pay a higher pick for less salary and vice versa (makes sense).

Now, in St Kilda’s shoes, what are their imperatives? Clear salary for incoming players and hoping for a pick they can use in the trades for Hill, Ryder, Jones, etc. They also want to give fans the impression they have got a fair deal on Steven. But also don’t want to look like arseholes for holding Steven when he wants to go.

Ultimately I suspect there’ll be a happy medium there somewhere but I’m glad we seem to be fine with letting it play out. Saints need this more than us. The risk in a trade is all Geelong’s.

Looks like wells will be happy to say no deal on this if the saints want too high a price. They will have to keep him and have the risk he will sit out again. Then come to us as a free agent in 12 months.

If they were smart they’d take what they can get, or pay 700k a yr for someone sitting out of the game again.

Pick 56 or nothing imo.

Buy why is abbott and fort contracted? Surely these players arent good enough to earn anything more than 1 year contracts. Sh** if menzel could only ever earn 1 year contracts then why are vfl players earning multi year contracts. Its not like anyone else would of taken them if we only signed them for one. Horrible mismanagement. We end up cutting not the worst players. Same issue with parsons and horlin smith getting multi year contracts. And billie smedts from memory too. Amatuer stuff.

No they have 2 year deals.

Not bad, though I'd doubt the crows let Crouch go for 13.

I think also with Jenkins he's saying he'll take a pay cut to play footy at an AFL club and not the 2s so if we're getting him to want to come here it's at Kreuger/Savs expense. That's a sticking point

Not if Sav and Kreuger are good enough that's what should improve them.
I want best available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back