Autopsy Geelong loses to Demons by 25 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Really liked the games from Close and Atkins. Kolo was good again he’s starting to really hit the contest hard and take good marks.

I like Narkle and he’d get back to better football if he played consistently but he also didn’t do enough to stay in.

Is Tuohy a good enough midfielder to play in that role? He’s a good player but like many others he’s struggling for a role.

Dahlhaus’ effort was good today he just didn’t have any clean disposals. With some good players hopefully coming back they should get better. And outs seem obvious to me but who knows how the mc will go.

A bag blew across the ground in the third quarter and it offered more than Dahlhaus did.

Should've replaced Dahlhaus with that pigeon from last week. At least the pigeon got close to a contest on a few occasions...

Stanley's miss in the last quarter from straight in front in the last was a killer. Kicks that, we're back within 3 kicks with some sort of momentum. Talk about a momentum killer.
How TF a senior elite player cannot nail that eludes me, and I expect it was a giant WTF from his team mates who busted their arses to get it to him. Woeful

About what I expected. Thought they might give us a real shellacking actually so not too fussed. Undermanned, playing poorly, skills are very ordinary- dunno how we got so close.
Get a couple of people back, tweak the game, get going cats. Comon. Should pick up the next couple.
Next game is the type of game we normally lose ......................................................... *

Zuthrie believers...oh no!

It is what it is, I subconsciously checked out of this one last night after his inclusion and Holmes' unceremonious dumping. It signaled the white flag from the get-go, could have brought anyone at all in but instead we revert back to a player they clearly know is not up to it and never has been. Get some players back in next week and cross his papers for good now, Dahlhaus with him.
I don't think they're such a thing as a Zuthrie believer. If he's in the side you know we're in bad shape

I think most would agree that forward structure is our biggest weakness, but for whatever reason it feels like Enright is the least spoken about of the assistant coaches

We hear often of Scarlett & the Misfits, and that he really seems to have ownership in terms of our defensive set up

Fans have tended to be rather vocal about Knights as our midfield coach, and questions about what's happening with our midfield when that area doesn't function as it should

But when it comes to our forward structure, so much seems to be put on Scott & his game plan without a lot of talk about Enright & what he's done or not done

I know some will say "it's the head coach who accepts the trophy so it's all on them", but it also feels like now days that more is trusted to the line coaches with regards to structure, set up etc, for their players

I know that we're missing key players to our forward structure, but it just wasn't functioning today, and this is where Scott, Enright & the players need to sit down and talk about what's happening, what's not happening and what needs to happen going forward - get everyone on the same page

But from the first passage of play today, there seemed to be a disconnection between the forward line & the other players - Selwood with the early free kick & I could hear someone direct him to kick it to the wing where Smith was open & with space to run into, but instead Selwood opted to go long in the Hawkins direction even though Hawkins wasn't leading at the ball & had someone in the space in front of him

Hopefully when we start getting guys back like Dangerfield, Rohan, Cameron, & Parfitt, add in Higgins, fingers crossed Evans, it'll change things up a little and we start to see more movement & options presented from the forwards
Not defending Enright but our forward line hasn't settled all year. Today was no different. And with fresh faces you need some pretty good delivery.

I honestly thought our inside fifty entries were the worst I have seen in a long time. We played into Melbourne's hands by bombing it to no one far too many times.

And I'm not making excuses here - the forwards didn't present good options either.

Stanley's miss in the last quarter from straight in front in the last was a killer. Kicks that, we're back within 3 kicks with some sort of momentum. Talk about a momentum killer.
Straight up the other end for a goal too!

Straight up the other end for a goal too!

Yep. If Stanley nailed it we would've been within 14 points and a chance to pinch it. Less than a minute later, Melbourne score a goal down the other end and go 25 points up - game over.

I think most would agree that forward structure is our biggest weakness, but for whatever reason it feels like Enright is the least spoken about of the assistant coaches

We hear often of Scarlett & the Misfits, and that he really seems to have ownership in terms of our defensive set up

Fans have tended to be rather vocal about Knights as our midfield coach, and questions about what's happening with our midfield when that area doesn't function as it should

But when it comes to our forward structure, so much seems to be put on Scott & his game plan without a lot of talk about Enright & what he's done or not done

I know some will say "it's the head coach who accepts the trophy so it's all on them", but it also feels like now days that more is trusted to the line coaches with regards to structure, set up etc, for their players

I know that we're missing key players to our forward structure, but it just wasn't functioning today, and this is where Scott, Enright & the players need to sit down and talk about what's happening, what's not happening and what needs to happen going forward - get everyone on the same page

But from the first passage of play today, there seemed to be a disconnection between the forward line & the other players - Selwood with the early free kick & I could hear someone direct him to kick it to the wing where Smith was open & with space to run into, but instead Selwood opted to go long in the Hawkins direction even though Hawkins wasn't leading at the ball & had someone in the space in front of him

Hopefully when we start getting guys back like Dangerfield, Rohan, Cameron, & Parfitt, add in Higgins, fingers crossed Evans, it'll change things up a little and we start to see more movement & options presented from the forwards

I sincerely hope that CS is livid with what he was given today, and has the assistant coaches behind closed doors asap to insist they answer the how's and why's.

Then he talks to the players......

What I hated the most about today was the clear contempt Melbourne had for our physicality. They took on the tackler in close just about every time, and with great success, got handballs out or crashed through where we should have been able to lock it in. I feel it might even be a league-wide thing, that Geelong might be a bit suspect on the physical side, which I absolutely hate growing up in the 80s.

With that in mind I would cut our losses now and never play Rhys Stanley again. I hate Blitz in the ruck but it might have to do for now. We can’t accept a guy with such a low competitive drive in that spot, and Jenkins isn’t the answer either. We need to find more guys with grunt, not many with much of a physical presence. Hawkins, Selwood, Kolo, Bews...Atkins looks the part & tries hard but seems to always be outmatched by his opponents.

Selwood is still our best player, which is a real worry. The umps seemed to have small man syndrome today and gave him some rough treatment. What was deemed a throw for him didn’t seem to be an issue at other times. Stewart was good. Smith was ordinary early but two goals was handy.

Zach Guthrie has had his chances. Dalhaus not giving much currently. Perhaps Charlie is worth a go as more of a forward, he handles the ball well and Dalhaus isn’t exactly tackling the house down at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rarely tip against us but even I knew we weren’t winning today.
We didn’t gain anyone from last week and have to play very ugly to win with the squad available.
Our depth forward is terrible but we already knew that.
We have recruited to win a flag but if you don’t have those players you ain’t winning anything.

Would not panic yet, sure we could be better with effort but what else were we expecting?
Now we get some forward options so if stuff like this happens from next week sure get worried.

1. Shorter pre-season is no excuse. In this day-and-age players don't return unfit.

2. Formwise we deserve to be 0-4.

3. The rule changes have exposed weaknesses we've had for some time but which we've managed to cover until now.

4. The fact we regurgitate the likes of Zuthrie and some claim "undermanned" indicates we lack real depth.

5. Loving the way my 2nd love, the Dish Lickers, are playing. My bet @ $11 on them for the silverware is helping me deal with the mediocre stuff we're producing.:)

You're not wrong. Unless your name is T. Stewart, it's a prerequisite to be suspect 1on1 and/or a poor kick of the ball if you want a gig in the Geelong backline. Henderson looks ancient but he's still pulling his weight at least.

It's not a game unless Bews kicks the obligatory OBF. Then passes his drink bottle to Menegola and occasionally Duncan for the same result.
Expect better at this level even for a leftie- and a correction through application or practice but no cigar. Year. After. Year.

I'd rather us play Kreguer or Jarvis or someone up forward than making one of our better defenders play there.

Jarvis....seems amazing he's brought in from the clouds to play the Tigers in that H & SA gamer last year, but isn't considered at the start of this season with many regulars injured or suspended.

Parfitt out for Narkle was huge too - Narkle wasn't awful but you go from maybe our best defensive mid to our worst, in a game where they dominated in close and gained territory when we couldn't stick tackles.

Good point. Parfitt's usually good for half a dozen tackles plus a bit of non-stat pressure.

Narkle gave us 3 tackles, and wasn't terrible, but wasn't as good as Parfitt either

Remove this Banner Ad

Back