Autopsy Geelong loses to Demons by 25 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerfield too...

I would ask - As leaders, why can't Selwood and Dangerfield raise the club's expectations to meet this desire level?

The problem today, hard conversations don't happen like they used to. Telling someone to work harder may be seen as an insult, in which case you may hurt someone's feelings.

Can't be seen to bully people with expectations

Why?

When a coach publicly says that coaching is a terrible job then I don't think it's at all unfair to question whether he might be suffering from burn-out, and to further ask whether that type of comment might reflect a deeper malaise which could affect the playing group under his charge.

I missed the context of this discussion, but was this in regard to Chris saying Brad shouldn't go back into coaching because it's a terrible job?

Cos I took that to be a bit tongue in cheek and that Brad was better off working for AFL House

Like, he was sort of saying coaching is a thankless task a bit

I'm convinced it's a complete cop out. If you aren't ready to go by Round 1 it's your own fault. The AFL isn't tying players down preventing them from training.

Among the many pathetic excuses fans now make, that one is still right up there.
I think they are not unprepared for round 1, but I’d say, they are more setting up to peak at the end of the year. Which means that they aren’t in the greatest form right now. I can’t think of many teams who were awesome for the entire year, after backing up from a grand final. Brisbane, Hawthorn and even Richmond never looked that great in the first half of the year.

Doesnt mean that theyll get to finals, it’s just their planning at this stage. And if it starts to fail and they look like missing out, they’ll spend their petrol to try and make the 6th, 7th or 8th spot. And if it gets dire, they’ll put their stars in cotton wool. It’s a constant evolution, based on the data and situation at hand.

Same bullshit melts every time we lose early in a season. We were always going to take time to build into the year, the injuries and suspensions are just compounding that atm. 3 of the 4 preliminary finalists from last year are struggling, and Port are about to tested with injuries from the other night. I’m certain that isn’t a coincidence.
Danger, Cameron, Rohan, Parfitt, Simpson, Higgins are all absolute best 22, with Sav not too far behind. Not to mention Duncan is still building after no pre season. I would think all those guys fit and firing would
Challenge the notion we are not a top 4 side.
The indicator for how we are going under Scott has always been the manner
of losing. Our losses this l year we’ve had, despite being terrible, have still given ourselves a chance to pinch a win.I’d be much more concerned if we we were losing like some games between 2014/15.
Relax, enjoy the season, still plenty of good footy in front of us.

Yes it is.

You can't see the difference between the Geelong players and opposition in defensive pressure? Against Adelaide and Melbourne it was beyond obvious.
I saw the Adelaide one first hand and the effort was pathetic. I'm just saying it's the lack of preseason. Let's check back in by round 8 and see how we're travelling then

Captaincy needs to be handed over to Guthrie or Stewart. Selwood will still be serviceable but he's not capable of leading from the front anymore.
Worst post of the day hands down.

I think they are not unprepared for round 1, but I’d say, they are more setting up to peak at the end of the year. Which means that they aren’t in the greatest form right now. I can’t think of many teams who were awesome for the entire year, after backing up from a grand final. Brisbane, Hawthorn and even Richmond never looked that great in the first half of the year.

Geelong 2009.

Saying ''it's not a very good job, to be honest'' does make him look like he hates his job, imo. Also makes us look vulnerable and weak. IMO.
The second part - the only thing that makes us vulnerable and weak is lack of first choice players and lack of form. It doesn’t matter if we look vulnerable or weak. It matters more if we are actually vulnerable and weak.

Sure pal. Missing one midfielder and one forward who has never played a game for you is hardly undermanned.

Who happen to be two of the best players in the league for their positions.

And that's not to mention Parfitt who's important in the midfield for defence and Rohan who's important structurally.

Like, it may not have made the difference and it's not an excuse for losing, but you can't deny the outs weren't meaningful

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst post of the day hands down.

I think handing over the reins would rejuvenate Joel a bit, actually.

Only problem is I think the club would feel obligated to give it to Dangerfield which, IMHO, is a bad move.

Ling and Harley were both great captains without being superstar players and I think there's a link between those two things.

Same bullshit melts every time we lose early in a season. We were always going to take time to build into the year, the injuries and suspensions are just compounding that atm. 3 of the 4 preliminary finalists from last year are struggling, and Port are about to tested with injuries from the other night. I’m certain that isn’t a coincidence.
Danger, Cameron, Rohan, Parfitt, Simpson, Higgins are all absolute best 22, with Sav not too far behind. Not to mention Duncan is still building after no pre season. I would think all those guys fit and firing would challenge the notion we are not a top 4 side.

I think Rohan, Simpson, and Higgins are far from absolute.

Relax, enjoy the season, still plenty of good footy in front of us.

True, but the problem is it may not come from us.

I saw the Adelaide one first hand and the effort was pathetic. I'm just saying it's the lack of preseason. Let's check back in by round 8 and see how we're travelling then

Cop out.

These are professional athletes, they are not collectively working as hard as they could. Period.

No one in their right mind could say that this club has left it all out there in any of the 4 games in 2021, not even close. Sorry.

I concede some pieces are missing, but I'm not convinced by the 'month behind in prep' thing.......

Maybe 'attitude' is a better word than 'motivation'. There seemed to be little desire for the contest today, and even the commentators noticed it.

Something just doesn't seem right. Will be interested to see if the inclusion of Danger, Cameron etc change my perspective.
Nah, the sides that missed the finals had younger players start preseason in Nov. That's like a week or two after we were in a GF. Something like half our squad was out until Jan. Not even counting the guys who've come in who are clearly still not ready like Stanley and Dahlhaus.

I would be extremely surprised if we look anything like this come the middle of the season

I missed the context of this discussion, but was this in regard to Chris saying Brad shouldn't go back into coaching because it's a terrible job?

Cos I took that to be a bit tongue in cheek and that Brad was better off working for AFL House

Exactly this. But the normal thing is that we cherry pick facts or situations to suit our own bias. In this case, the natural interpretation, is that Chris hates his job, is bored, is planning on leaving. And the team senses it and has given up.

Cop out.

These are professional athletes, they are not collectively working as hard as they could. Period.

No one in their right mind could say that this club has left it all out there in any of the 4 games in 2021, not even close. Sorry.
There's a degree of cop out there, I mean the Adelaide match we could have won with at least some effort. But we put in enough effort to get over the line in two and we were never winning today. We were beaten by a side which had more tools and far better preparation at its disposal than we did.

Cop out.

You’re back! That’s great. Looking forward to you doubling down on new opinions.

Here's the exchange Frggr;

You could look at it and say it's tongue in cheek, you could also look at it and wonder why Chris Scott chose to say that at all - could have responded in any number of ways, but he weighs his words pretty carefully, generally.

If I'm an opposition coach and/or player and I hear the coach of the team I'm playing against that week moaning like that then I am going into the game with extra confidence knowing that they're struggling mentally.

The second part - the only thing that makes us vulnerable and weak is lack of first choice players and lack of form. It doesn’t matter if we look vulnerable or weak. It matters more if we are actually vulnerable and weak.

Disagree with you there Vic; imo psychology has it's part to play in sport and signals like that which we are discussing can definitely have an effect, I believe - if I was Simon Goodwin and I'd heard that during the week then I'd have been licking my lips in anticipation.
If I was a Geelong player and I'd heard that during the week then I'd be wondering why the coach was depressed and whether I should be concerned.

Don't disagree that we are undermanned and down on form, btw, that much is obvious. But I don't think messaging such as that which Chris Scott chose to run with publicly during the week is helpful at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back