Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 18 vs. Carlton, MCG Sunday 18/07 @ 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said, age is not definitive. None of these things are definitive.

Expressed another way …

If you go through the stats of the AFL, I’m guessing that there’ll be more debutants who are 19 years old than debutants who are 18 years old ..

… and obviously by that statement I’m not suggesting that 18 year olds can’t and don’t debut.

At no point have I said anything like age being definitive you’re the one that’s brought age into it. I’m only asking what defines Ginnivan as “underage” yet Poulter wasn’t when he debuted? On the rest I don’t really have an opinion I feel like you’re speculating, but I’m neither here nor there on stuff like what age most kids debut. Referring to Ginnivan though as “underage” just feels an odd descriptor so I was hoping you might clarify that v Poulter.

Disgrace that Ginnivan not getting a go.

The future is McReery and Ginnivan running amok in our forward line... so when fit these two should be playing up front every week for the remainder of the season.

Especially so, if there is no VFL on for an extended period

As I’ve said many times before the goal should be rd 1 2023... putting games into the young players that will be there and moving away from the players aged over 30

North Melbourne and Adelaide doing this... playing 11,12,13 kids with 50 games or less each week.

Collingwood has played kids but still very short term in its selection outlook. Each week we’re one of the oldest teams named. Fine if you’re top 4, ridiculous if you’re bottom 4
North have 9 players this week with less than 50 games. We have 8.

Disgrace that Ginnivan not getting a go.

The future is McReery and Ginnivan running amok in our forward line... so when fit these two should be playing up front every week for the remainder of the season.

Especially so, if there is no VFL on for an extended period

As I’ve said many times before the goal should be rd 1 2023... putting games into the young players that will be there and moving away from the players aged over 30

North Melbourne and Adelaide doing this... playing 11,12,13 kids with 50 games or less each week.

Collingwood has played kids but still very short term in its selection outlook. Each week we’re one of the oldest teams named. Fine if you’re top 4, ridiculous if you’re bottom 4

Unlike Adelaide and North, we need to keep winning games to move up the ladder and salvage some Daicos points. I'm fine with Ginnivan being made to wait. Kids (and I include third and fourth year players in that) are by and large getting games as quickly as we can get away with.

At no point have I said anything like age being definitive you’re the one that’s brought age into it. I’m only asking what defines Ginnivan as “underage” yet Poulter wasn’t when he debuted? On the rest I don’t really have an opinion I feel like you’re speculating, but I’m neither here nor there on stuff like what age most kids debut. Referring to Ginnivan though as “underage” just feels an odd descriptor so I was hoping you might clarify that v Poulter.

Height!

I suspect 76 is not someone that would consider one player underage v another because the top of their head is 9cm below the other lol. On that basis McMahon should have played months ago given he’s got a whopping 12cm on Ginnivan!

FWIW I’m not suggesting you are either this is more in general that I find it bizarre that people put limitations on professional athletes on that basis.

Kelly looks like going nowhere fast. He is a brittle, flimsy sort of creature whose body dissolves from under him once he sets foot on an AFL field. Certainly his pleasantly proportioned body and pleasing features give him a head's start over Madgen, but there's where good fortune ends for him and fate intervenes to rudely interrupt his progress every time he plays senior football.

Ain't that the heartbreaking truth, we can all see that his ceiling is higher than Madge's.

He might manage to increase his soft tissue's resistance to injury . That is a possibility I still hope for.

But one of ours is 28 years old
I don't really see age as an issue if the player isn't slowing down from wear and tear. The whole concept of writing off a player now because they may be too old at the time of a hypothetical future premiership challenge is deeply flawed.

At no point have I said anything like age being definitive you’re the one that’s brought age into it. I’m only asking what defines Ginnivan as “underage” yet Poulter wasn’t when he debuted?

I didn’t say Poulter wasn’t?

I feel like you’re speculating, …

Indeed I am 👍

Licuria suggested that some players are being held back for the sake of their development. I speculated Ginnivan is one of them. Poulter clearly isn’t.

Referring to Ginnivan though as “underage” just feels an odd descriptor so I was hoping you might clarify that v Poulter.

Maybe ‘bottom age’ would have been a better term?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North have 9 players this week with less than 50 games. We have 8.

According to footywire... North have 10, hawks 10, Adelaide 11, Essendon 9, GC 9....

On the flip side Cats have 10 players with 150 games plus, west coast 9... and cellar dwelling Collingwood has the third most in 8

Playing all those senior players has helped us to our current lofty ladder position. No need for an accelerated rebuild

I don't really see age as an issue if the player isn't slowing down from wear and tear. The whole concept of writing off a player now because they may be too old at the time of a hypothetical future premiership challenge is deeply flawed.

Just as flawed as saying somebody at age 28 wont be part of our next premiership. Things turn quickly. This time a year ago for example the Swans were a basket case. Today I read somebody predict they will win the flag this year!!!!

A player with less than 50 games experience is an investment in the future....whether hes 18 or 28.

To imply that Collingwood is so awesome that teams when they play us always play above themselves to beat us.....is so misguided that its beyond a joke. And yes that sort of thinking is indicative of what Licuria was talking about.
It's not because of awesomeness Timmy it's to spite us.

Collingwood has always been hated and beating us is always especially satisfying - particularly for the Melbourne clubs.

It is what it is.

I think you will find majority of 28 year olds regardless of wear and tear are closer to the end than the start

It's not because of awesomeness Timmy it's to spite us.

Collingwood has always been hated and beating us is always especially satisfying - particularly for the Melbourne clubs.

It is what it is.

Its partly imagination too. Opposition fans like to hate us and beat us...sure... we are a huge club with lots of reasons to be hated.... but that doesnt mean the opposition magically finds an extra 20% of effort when they play us.

Its a very dated theory and really doesnt fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back