Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 23 vs. Carlton, Sun 21/08, 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT HOSKIN-ELLIOTT OUT HOSKIN-ELLIOTT OUT HOSKIN-ELLIOTT OUT HOSKIN-ELLIOTT

OUT PLEASE
I’m sort of indifferent, but have you tried running without being able to breathe through your nose?

Was tough going for just about everybody through the middle and forward of the ball today. Sydney were outstanding and probably also caused by the smaller ground.

He wasn’t on his own.

We just have to play Henry
We are one marking player aerialist short in attack….and it’s been the case for a few weeks now.

This will provide more flexibility and balance to the side.

Right now…Johnson is playing as our 2nd tall forward…Mihocek isn’t impacting in the air…clearly he is still injured /sore hence why his 1v1 work is down on output.

Henry will command respect from a good player in the air …
Absolute must to return to the side …even if you have to sacrifice a runner…and the player you sacrifice is Bianco all things being equal.

I’m sort of indifferent, but have you tried running without being able to breathe through your nose?

Was tough going for just about everybody through the middle and forward of the ball today. Sydney were outstanding and probably also caused by the smaller ground.

He wasn’t on his own.

But it's a pattern of his historically to go missing and fumble in physical hard contests.

He's a typical front runner type, when the team plays well he does.

If Ginnivan is out I'd play Carmichael in the forward pocket. He's handy in front of goal. And id have McCeery playing as a defensive forward on Saad.

Last edited:
From the 22 that ended the game yesterday it is Brown , Bianco and Carmichael that would be the vulnerable ones. These are the 3 that will not be in the 22 for finals if JDG , Adams and Ginnivan are available. Hopefully JDG is ok this week. The only other 3 that could come into consideration to replace any of those 3 would be Macrae Ruscoe and Henry.

From the 22 that ended the game yesterday it is Brown , Bianco and Carmichael that would be the vulnerable ones. These are the 3 that will not be in the 22 for finals if JDG , Adams and Ginnivan are available. Hopefully JDG is ok this week. The only other 3 that could come into consideration to replace any of those 3 would be Macrae Ruscoe and Henry.

Except brown wasn’t in the starting 22 so somebody else also has to make way, or at least be starting sub.

If Ginnivan is out I'd play Carmichael in the forward pocket. He's handy in front of goal. And have I'd McCeery playing as a defensive forward on Saad.

I see Ollie as Ginni's replacement.

Beau on Saad might be a game defining match-up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need another tall defender. Howe needs to be the spare man. He cost us a few goals today.

Ginni is an out. WHE was meh.

Out: Ginni, WHE, JC
In: JDG, Madge/Macrae, W.Kelly
I think we need to move on from Kelly, I’ve wanted him in for weeks but he just ain’t it that’s why despite our defence desperately needing height he isn’t getting a call up.

If Ginnivan is out I'd play Carmichael in the forward pocket. He's handy in front of goal. And have I'd McCeery playing as a defensive forward on Saad.
Not a move I had thought of (Carmichael) but it makes sense to me.

I think we need to move on from Kelly, I’ve wanted him in for weeks but he just ain’t it that’s why despite our defence desperately needing height he isn’t getting a call up.

The issue being without having a solid midfield. The ball is coming into our defence with no pressure. It means Howe is being exposed against tall defenders.

I would be absolutely shocked if we bring in anyone new or anyone who isn't established as a top 25 player. So your Drapers, Ruscoe's Poulters, etc. are no chance.

I'd put Macrae in that list despite his solid form, but he's about all we've got if the coaches decide we need SOMETHING without JDG and Adams.

For me it's Henry if Ginnivan is out.

If JDG is fit we take Bianco back to sub and drop Cal Brown. Cal was "OK" but it was just a typical performance from him. We can't rely on him in the coming weeks.

And honestly that's probably about it.

Also reading the transcript of the press conference with McRae, WHE holds on. He was quiet but the knocks to the nose clearly held him back and then when he was of fresh legs at the end he couldn't breathe properly.

Tough selection this week. If it was purely replacing our injured and poorest performing players it would be easy, but team balance might be difficult to get right.

No natural replacement for Ginnivan in the VFL but Carlton has a tall backline so I think we can afford to carry an extra marking forward. I'd bring in Henry and play him high up the field in the WHE role.

Unfortunately Bianco should be dropped. Josh Daicos did an excellent job on ball. So we can leave Josh in the middle and move WHE to the wing opposite Steele to accommodate Henry into the team. With Bianco dropped we can hopefully bring in De Goey which would push Lipinski back to a more high forward role.

The last one is tough for me. Clearly this is Adams' spot in the team. But with him unavailable its really now the 22nd bloke picked. Based on integrity of selection Macrae should come in for Carmichael. JC's tank and habit of throwing the ball on the boot forward is starting to be a concern so I'd definitely prefer Macrae who can get involved in nice handball chains. I just don't know if Macrae is ready to stand up to finals intensity footy. But his numbers are too good to ignore, so without knowing if Macrae is hitting his defensive KPIs in the VFL, I'd bringing him in.

Out: Ginnivan, Bianco, Carmichael.
In: Henry, De Goey, Macrae
Sub: Carmichael

I would be absolutely shocked if we bring in anyone new or anyone who isn't established as a top 25 player. So your Drapers, Ruscoe's Poulters, etc. are no chance.

I'd put Macrae in that list despite his solid form, but he's about all we've got if the coaches decide we need SOMETHING without JDG and Adams.

For me it's Henry if Ginnivan is out.

If JDG is fit we take Bianco back to sub and drop Cal Brown. Cal was "OK" but it was just a typical performance from him. We can't rely on him in the coming weeks.

And honestly that's probably about it.

Also reading the transcript of the press conference with McRae, WHE holds on. He was quiet but the knocks to the nose clearly held him back and then when he was of fresh legs at the end he couldn't breathe properly.

Ruscoe is way ahead of the others in experience and a very capable all rounder.
Going into finals, we may need him depending on injuries.
I’d have no issue moving Maynard to midfield and Ruscoe to HBF.

The games prior to yesterday the Swans kicked 18, 17, 17, 12 (against Freo who have arguably the best defensive coach in the comp), 17.
We kept them to 11 even though we were ordinary. Our defence still stacks up. Adding De Goey and Adam’s and maybe Macrae who has surely built up for this could make a huge difference come finals .

Ruscoe is way ahead of the others in experience and a very capable all rounder.
Going into finals, we may need him depending on injuries.
I’d have no issue moving Maynard to midfield and Ruscoe to HBF.
I do because Maynard didn't exactly take to a midfield role yesterday, so there doesn't seem much point in moving him from a spot in which he excels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back