Preview Second Preliminary-Final - Richmond v GWS Giants, Saturday, September 23, MCG, 4.45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Jacob Townsend, and I think it's seriously great he's back playing well in a quality AFL team. Send him to Haynes though and we'll accept , and he'll get a bath I think.
Haynes look slight but his positioning and contested marking is elite, Jacob risks giving a lot of free kicks away to counter him with physicality.

No disrespect but Towno did a negating role on Michael Johnson and kicked 6 and Carlisle and kicked 5, Henderson and kicked 2 and really limited Henderson to the point where it was a big factor as to how we won, he wasn't able to intercept and cut off any high ball.

If he is your intercept player Townsend will go to him and given what he has produced so far against very experienced players I would back Towno in to do another decent job.

No disrespect but Towno did a negating role on Michael Johnson and kicked 6 and Carlisle and kicked 5, Henderson and kicked 2 and really limited Henderson to the point where it was a big factor as to how we won, he wasn't able to intercept and cut off any high ball.

If he is your intercept player Townsend will go to him and given what he has produced so far against very experienced players I would back Towno in to do another decent job.
It's not disrespectful, but we differ in opinions. You dont have to tiptoe in our board, abuse or insults is not a good idea, opinions are welcome.

I think Haynes is a different, and harder challenge than those guys. We'll find out if they match up on Saturday.

It's not disrespectful, but we differ in opinions. You dont have to tiptoe in our board, abuse or insults is not a good idea, opinions are welcome.

I think Haynes is a different, and harder challenge than those guys. We'll find out if they match up on Saturday.

Agree he is a good player just think that Henderson is the best out of he and those I mentioned above and Towno completely took him out of the game, he has one specific role and he sticks to it. Goals are a bonus. Simple game plan simple instructions, whether it works or not is another story but I would be confident he doesn't get a bath.

Who would Corr/ Tomlinson take?

Agree he is a good player just think that Henderson is the best out of he and those I mentioned above and Towno completely took him out of the game, he has one specific role and he sticks to it. Goals are a bonus. Simple game plan simple instructions, whether it works or not is another story but I would be confident he doesn't get a bath.

I'm actually in no doubt Haynes is the pick of the bunch of the players you mentioned.
I dont think Tomlinson will play unless given a role on Riewoldt or Rance up forward. He's a stopper and his ground level skills might be exposed against your mobile crumbing forward line. He is good one on one and has speed and endurance but ground level not his strength.
I dont think we'll emphasise one on one matchups in our backline, your forward line is flexible and presents multiple threats. I think we rely on our zone with the talls Davis and Corr taking their spot in the zone. Zac Williams and Deledio probably the offensive runners out of the backline.

Hope you don't mind the intrusion, but how does GWS go at the G? Difficult to pick the winner as both teams have fast midfields, not like us:oops:

We don't get to play it all that often, so who knows. We've played there once since we've gotten good IIRC, and it was in very detrimental weather (the loss to Richmond earlier this year).

Based on recent games Corr is likely to play on Riewoldt and might even get Dusty when he goes forward.

In recent weeks the Davis is the one we have tried to free to intercept mark and hasn't taken the number 1 forward so he might get one of the smalls.

Tomlinson to Caddy would be my guess if he plays. He isn't quick but runs all day (normally top 5 in the 3 km) and is strong.

If Townsend gets Haynes there is every chance he gets a lesson. Very different type of player to Jamison, Henderson & Carlisle. Given he isn't super quick Townsend might go to Corr/Davis (whoever isn't on Riewoldt).

We dominated the eagles in our defence last weekend largely because of the pressure that was put on the ball upfield. Getting more hang time from their inside 50s and or ordinary disposal into the 50 gave our backs a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the start of the finals I was happy to adopt the Tiggers as they were due (the Tom Hafey connection helped)
But all this arrogant talk of jumper clashes with Adelaide has shown that Richmond fans aren't taking you seriously. I'm throwing my support behind you (but only till the end of the GF)

Good luck Giants!!

Speaking of jumper clashes....

Why is it that ours and Richmonds jumpers only clash at the MCG. When we play at Spotless there appears to be no clash with both sides wearing their traditional home jumper.

Odd that the clash only happens at their home ground...

Why is it that ours and Richmonds jumpers only clash at the MCG. When we play at Spotless there appears to be no clash with both sides wearing their traditional home jumper.

It's the vibe of the thing ;)

Well cover me with oatmeal and call me Breakfast. I'm shocked. Shocked I tells ya.

Who ever would have guessed, that a team, founded 132 years ago in what is pretty much down town CBD of Heartland Central, would have more supporters than a team founded a mere 7 years ago on the frontier wasteland of enemy territory.

Colour me stunned that we'll be outnumbered on the weekend.

This is Toby Greene's stage. He lives for this.
Don't worry about being out numbered and throwing foundation dates at us. When Richmond plays finals against anyone they are outnumbered. That includes Carlton who has an overrated supporter base. We make them look like minnows also.

If we are forced to our clash strip then the AFL has completely lost the plot.

Anyone see Gill on 360?. Talk about make it up as you go along... Hopeless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are forced to our clash strip then the AFL has completely lost the plot.

Anyone see Gill on 360?. Talk about make it up as you go along... Hopeless.

The whole clash strip story is terrible. The guernseys that some clubs are allowed to get away with is stupid and the whole thing is basically double standards personified.

I am interested on your thoughts on Himmelberg playing a negating role on Rance. If you think Towno would cop a bath from Haynes then what would you call what Himmelberg will cop from Rance??

Don't think "tagging" him is the way to go, it worked for Port for a half. Best way to take Rance out of it is to have someone be dangerous in front of goals. If you play a defensive role on him that's a big win for us.

I reckon Scully is going to have a huge day, no real match up for him with plenty of space to run, he worries me the most.

I am interested on your thoughts on Himmelberg playing a negating role on Rance. If you think Towno would cop a bath from Haynes then what would you call what Himmelberg will cop from Rance??

Don't think "tagging" him is the way to go, it worked for Port for a half. Best way to take Rance out of it is to have someone be dangerous in front of goals. If you play a defensive role on him that's a big win for us.

I reckon Scully is going to have a huge day, no real match up for him with plenty of space to run, he worries me the most.
I think stories about Himmelburg to Rance come from the fact he can defend one one on one and will play forward. He is a talent and we love him. He's just 21 though and still young and inexperienced for a tall, and I dont think having him wear Rance would work.
For all of the talk about us needing a smaller forward line I think we need him, Patton and Toby as offensive threats. That will challenge your backs when we do have to hit a target inside 50.
I hope we do that as little as possible though and enter the 50 by foot as much as possible. That was noticeable against the Eagles where our running mids took the ball in and it threatens the defensive structure. Guys like Scully, Whitfield, Shiel and Kelly can then pass if a good option presents or shoot themselves.
For that to work we need our running game up and going and the players confident to take players on with the ball. That's more where the game will be won or lost I think.
I hope we're more focussed on that, but we may move a tall back up forward to mind Rance.

So, expect any changes? Personally I'd be tempted to rest Johnson, as J don't think his body can handle back to back games at this point. But after 6 goals and for his experience, he stays. In which case the only change I could see is maybe Tomlinson out, due to the Tigers small forward line, and maybe Smith or Reid in.

So, expect any changes? Personally I'd be tempted to rest Johnson, as J don't think his body can handle back to back games at this point. But after 6 goals and for his experience, he stays. In which case the only change I could see is maybe Tomlinson out, due to the Tigers small forward line, and maybe Smith or Reid in.
I think we will pick stevie if his knee is OK. It isnt a form decision its a health one.

Left field, but with the Tigers presenting a small mobile forward line is Perryman a smokey? He was an emergency in the QF so is possibly somwhere in calculations

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Victorians make the rules and then break them when it suits.

No changes
Reid Smith and Perryman the emergencies
In the website article LC did raise the hands of a late change due to weather and also made mention of Stevie J pulling up ok today and also the fact he has been a late out before
So what to read into it I am not sure but also he could be bluffing the opposition or just telling it how it is

Preliminary Final

Richmond Tigers v GIANTS
Saturday September 23, 4:45pm
MCG

GIANTS

FB: Zac Williams, Phil Davis, Heath Shaw
HB: Nick Haynes, Adam Tomlinson, Nathan Wilson
C: Dylan Shiel, Stephen Coniglio, Tim Taranto
HF: Matt de Boer, Harry Himmelberg, Tom Scully
FF: Steve Johnson, Jonny Patton, Brett Deledio
RR: Rory Lobb, Jacob Hopper, Josh Kelly

Interchange: Aidan Corr, Lachie Whitfield, Toby Greene, Callan Ward