Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Rohan will play plenty of senior footy when fit. They'll fit him in.
Interesting. As as CS says somewhat academic until we have full team and at pointy end of season. But in that scenario we have 10 bona fide AFL forwards. Maybe Neale takes it down to 9 as he wont replace Hawk and Jezza. And this is for 7 forward allocated spots in the 22 and probably 23.

It is possible that they move Dempsey to wing although they want to play blitz and 2E there with full team.

And then it is possible Mannagh gets better and better

I am not saying Rohan won’t play but certainly he has competition for a guaranteed spot

The issue is how you fit all of Rohan, Dempsey, Henry, Stengle, Miers, Close, Hawkins and Cameron in the one 22-man side. None of them have experience anywhere other than the forward line, so that's two interchange spots gone before you've even considered midfield or defence.
Don’t see a problem the way all our forwards get up the ground combined with our supposed lack of midfield depth.

True, but there’s only so many half forwards you can fit in a team.

Not sure Esava is a great example. He was in for J.Henry as really our only other tall defender other than SDK. We have a plethora of med forwards even without Rohan.
Once fit. He'll play.
Who else is there won't matter. Scott will pick him.

I almost wish he was a couple years older tbh.

If we were to get him, he'd only be the incumbent for 1 year, max 2 years before we've got a controversy brewing with Conway.

Not to mention Edwards too, who's every chance to be just as good as Toby, if not better.

And then all of a sudden, we've got a 28 year old Darcy with the same problem that Freo have had with Jackson.

I don't know what they do with him now...Richmond is probably an option, Collingwood could be dumb enough to do it by deluding themselves that they're still in the window...but there's no many suitors out there IMO.

They have 2 problems. One is culturally how well would they survive pushing out someone who wants to stay? (Freo struggle more than most clubs with retention) and 2 his contract. If darcy had 2 or 3 years most vic clubs in the window would chase him, but with a 6 year contract and his injury risks i think they are stuck with him. Well player by his manager but id be kicking myself if i was freo.

Don’t see a problem the way all our forwards get up the ground combined with our supposed lack of midfield depth.

It is because none of those fwds (except mannagh) have genuine form at any level as a full time mid. So if you pick 9 fwds (the 3 talls plus rohan dempsey 3 smalls and mannagh) plus 6/7 defenders (which we always do) plus stanley it really only leaves you 5 spots for genuine mids (including blitz as mid/r2). Thats fine if your 1st 3-4 mids are guns but im not sure our midfield is strong enough to run with a shallow 2nd tier mid group like that. It works for say melb because petracca viney oliver gawn are elite and take 85 % of the mid rotations but im not sure we have that..we need the depth in B graders through the midfield as we dont have elite mids (yet).

So its not that rohan isnt best 22 himself its whether thats our best structure and i dont think it is.

Bloke barely wins any of the footy, he is hardly playing linkman.
Tell me you've never watched Rohan without telling me you've never watched Rohan.

Bloke barely wins any of the footy, he is hardly playing linkman.

Rohan definitely works up & down the ground, presenting as an option and getting involved

If we suffer an injury every week and he's not one of them there's 20 games he could play without having to drop someone.
Guys get injured all year.

Esava played 16 games last year...

Speaking of esava thank goodness we didnt give him a 5 year contract like port did. Definitely not worth that.

They have 2 problems. One is culturally how well would they survive pushing out someone who wants to stay? (Freo struggle more than most clubs with retention) and 2 his contract. If darcy had 2 or 3 years most vic clubs in the window would chase him, but with a 6 year contract and his injury risks i think they are stuck with him. Well player by his manager but id be kicking myself if i was freo.

They bought a 110kg big block of cheese and now they are stuck trying to eat it before it goes off. .

I wonder if we make a play at him? Surely he'd come cheap.

Macrae is of an age he should really be free as a FA if out of contract. Like ISmith. The contract means the Dogs would have to be happy with him moving.

Considering our history..we are constantly looking for a chance to add to our sides immediate performance while also trying to bring along our younger players. Its a balance that we have gotten right more often than wrong. There are example of both but I cant think of us paying over the odds for a bad outcome. If at years end a club or player wishes out from their current situation then we probably would weigh up all the complexities. If we could add a player that is pnp , that will give you 50 games for a R2 for example then my bet is we would look at it. It will get down to the trade and the cost.

Id prefer that we just absorb the pain and keep adding kids but I suspect the club has different considerations ...like being constantly competitive and filling KP each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They bought a 110kg big block of cheese and now they are stuck trying to eat it before it goes off. .

They are..and speaking of block of cheese hopper has gone in for surgery..bet rich regrets the 7yr deal.

I actually only think Dempsey started in the forward 6 3-4 times. The rest he lined up on the wing. Now I think that wasn’t planned until mannagh came in for some mids and they had to move blitz inside. But maybe they got to see another option?

And when miers is getting 26 possessions frankly it probably is hard to tell whether he is HHF or wing. They are (better than) wing like numbers.

We have plenty of flexibility it looks like. Driven by the fact that we now have an overload of genuine afl level forwards
Regarding Miers with how good he is at linking up i would start him at HHF for bounces and just let him do what ever he wants..

He reads the play well enough and has the tank to just do what ever he thinks is best.
Which is pretty much what he does now runs into defence to help transition the ball out and delivers into the forward line better than anyone else.

Hell the only players you would want kicking into Hawkins, Cameron and co ahead of Miers would probably be Hawkins and Cameron but we haven't been able to clone them yet so Miers is our best option for that. Although Dempsey looks like he will be really good at it as well.

Rohan definitely works up & down the ground, presenting as an option and getting involved
It is something we are really missing at the moment Someone who can present up the wing for an outlet.

Now Rohan doesn't always mark it but he competes and gives us an option something that OH hasn't been able to do so far this year and Dempsey will grow into with more experience.

Thought Esava looked awesome for Port yesterday. They’re very happy with him at Alberton.

Port are happy with mediocrity (hence still having ken as coach) so that doesnt surprise me much.
Sav is a reasonable depth player and thats about it..definitely not worth the contract they gave him.

Thought Esava looked awesome for Port yesterday. They’re very happy with him at Alberton.
He played mostly on a debutant who has only been playing this sport for a few years and newrly got found out a few times.
One of his efforts should’ve resulted in a free for holding in the goal square but this weekends umpiring has been atrocious.

Not sure how he looked awesome unless I’m totally not understanding your sarcasm.

6 disposals, 5 marks against poor opposition

Port are happy with mediocrity (hence still having ken as coach) so that doesnt surprise me much.
Sav is a reasonable depth player and thats about it..definitely not worth the contract they gave him.
I think they're happy to plug a hole and keep focusing on building a midfield forward mix. I think it's a decent strategy by them.

He played mostly on a debutant who has only been playing this sport for a few years and newrly got found out a few times.
One of his efforts should’ve resulted in a free for holding in the goal square but this weekends umpiring has been atrocious.

Not sure how he looked awesome unless I’m totally not understanding your sarcasm.

6 disposals, 5 marks against poor opposition
I thought he played on Bolta for pretty muchtye whole game. Agree he is not a big loss

I think they're happy to plug a hole and keep focusing on building a midfield forward mix. I think it's a decent strategy by them.
If he's your 2nd best key back in your team you're not winning many Finals if any.
Props to them for going after a need but if BZT and Sav are your "key" gets then i'm not worried about you come Finals time.

Seemed more like moves to look like they were doing something after they went out in straight sets and re-signed their coach who 90% didn't want.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back