Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - BIG FREEZE 7 - Round 13 vs. Melbourne, SCG Mon 14/06 @ 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Pies. For those of you that might be interested, I’d like to invite you to the unofficial preview banter thread on the Melbourne board at:

Please feel free to come and participate. I hope very much to see Tarkyn_24 obviously, but all are welcome
I expected this to be a “leave Tarkyn_24 at home” style invite. Pleasantly surprised friend. :)

Sam Dwyer type, so I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. I think John’s a better player than Sam was so think it will take longer for a better alternative to present itself, but agree that I think his limitations will curtail him from being a 150 gamer.
Sam Dwyer, Stephen Patterson and Josh Smith have all morphed into the one player in my mind. A "Dwattersmith" if you will.

What are people thoughts on the likely midfield matchups?
Pendles to take Oliver - similar to the Cripps and Bont role he has done before.
They will probably tag Sidey with Harmes
Might leave Trac and JDG to go head to head to see who was best from their draft
the wings are a worry - Langdon and Brayshaw - hopefully our youngsters like Poulter Bianco and Daicos can break even

Actually just did and Noble doesn't feature in the 50 for clangers or turnovers while Crisp ranks 2nd on total turnovers and 6th on clangers.
Yer more often than not he plays it safe. Would be interesting to see how many turnovers have led directly to goals. I can clearly remember in the North and Sydney game where Noble turned it over leading to direct goals (there have been more but can’t remember specifics). While Crisp isn’t great by foot he a much better player man on man, is more versatile and his mistakes are less costly than Nobles.
Noble is on his current showing is only in the side due to our lack of depth and cause we are going so badly

Just on Noble I don't mind him..YES he makes mistakes but he takes the game on and gives his all.

The player doing my head in for turnovers as much as I like him is crisp !!!! Before him Maynard..

Anyway Maynard on petracca please.
Cox in
Keane in

Cheers

I have watched every game, he accumulates a lot of the ball so stats look good on paper. Under pressure generally makes critical mistakes and in the back half it has cost us goals.

looks like a boy against men out there. He’s not a good one on one defender, he is quick but rarely breaks the lines.

He should not be guaranteed a game each week and definitely wouldn’t be getting a game for many other sides. There are obviously players who deserve to be dropped before him but cannot understand how he’s a lock in this team and think with the development of youngsters he will eventually get pushed out of the side.
I tend to agree. I just can't bring myself to like Noble as a player. I like the fact that he's fast, and we have too few speedsters, but he seems to turnover the ball at crucial times with poor skill errors, and not always under pressure. He just doesn't seem reliable as a defender.

Last edited:
We havent heard anything. So unless something comes out in tomorrows injury report, then I'll assume he's okay
What about Sier's injury? You would think it was serious if he was subbed out for it. But I've heard nothing about the injury after the game (which I'm taking as a goo sign i.e. not a serious inury).

What about Sier's injury? You would think it was serious if he was subbed out for it. But I've heard nothing about the injury after the game (which I'm taking as a goo sign i.e. not a serious inury).
Yeah, we only know that its a jaw issue. Looked okay after the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have watched every game, he accumulates a lot of the ball so stats look good on paper. Under pressure generally makes critical mistakes and in the back half it has cost us goals.

looks like a boy against men out there. He’s not a good one on one defender, he is quick but rarely breaks the lines.

He should not be guaranteed a game each week and definitely wouldn’t be getting a game for many other sides. There are obviously players who deserve to be dropped before him but cannot understand how he’s a lock in this team and think with the development of youngsters he will eventually get pushed out of the side.
Our stagnant ball movement isn't just Bucks. We've only got about 3 blokes in the team who can seriously run, and you want to drop one of them and have Murphy play his role?

Obviously we won't be able to field this team but I just thought I'd post this:

B - Noble Roughead Maynard
HB - Quaynor Moore Howe
C - WHE Adams Poulter
HF - Pendlebury Cameron Sidebottom
F - De Goey Mihocek Elliott
Foll - Grundy Daicos Crisp
IC - McCreery Thomas Bianco ???

A few names in contention for that last spot but I think this team would finish far higher than we currently are on the ladder. Thoughts?

Not sure I would have Pendlebury or Sidebottom playing half forward.. just for the sake of placing them there.. McCreery.. yes.

You've either got it in you to snag sausage rolls or you don't. Not going to make allowances for veterans.

Pendles to take Oliver - similar to the Cripps and Bont role he has done before.
They will probably tag Sidey with Harmes
Might leave Trac and JDG to go head to head to see who was best from their draft
the wings are a worry - Langdon and Brayshaw - hopefully our youngsters like Poulter Bianco and Daicos can break even

Its really no contest - Petracca's a mile ahead of DeGoey in terms of his performance and consistency. In fact looking at that draft I'd have Maynard ahead of Degoey.

Darcy Moore the 2nd best player in the draft behind Trac.

Its really no contest - Petracca's a mile ahead of DeGoey in terms of his performance and consistency. In fact looking at that draft I'd have Maynard ahead of Degoey.

Darcy Moore the 2nd best player in the draft behind Trac.
Maynard on Trac in the middle would be great. Not going to happen, but would be great

We never do hear anything about his injuries. He just disappears. Without him coming good at the coalface we will remain a bottom 4 team. Adams spends much of each year injured and after him our inside mid stocks are extremely thin. Weird considering the number of one paced medium sizers on our list.

We must be watching different Nobles.
Great energy, courage and run. He has done well and belongs in our best 22 at this stage.

I think he's the most vulnerable of our small defenders to be squeezed from that best 22 should a player like Chugg stake a claim at VFL level. But that's more about his poorer 1v1 ability than his disposal or dash.

This sounds harsh, but I reckon we were better without Mayne.

It has shocked me in recent weeks to see him taking kick ins. He is a 30 metre kick, and doesn't necessarily play on with pace with ball in hand. So opposition defences can press up knowing it's just going to go 15 metres to the back pocket.

We look much more dangerous with Darcy Moore taking kick outs. Mayne has been getting 30 plus disposals, but they are sideways kicks and absolutely no risk involved. Opponents are happy to let him get it because he doesnt hurt. The better players who do that back pocket/distributor role are all elite kicks or have some pace. Think Daniel Rich or Jayden Short/Bachar Houli.

I reckon he is a momentum killer back there. I prefer him on a wing, floating back to assist, than to be the back pocket.

Out: Madgen, Sier, Rantall
In: Keane, McCreery, Cox

Keane, Roughead, Maynard
Quaynor, Moore Murphy

Lynch, Crisp Daicos
Hoskin-Elliot, Pendlebury, Poulter

Sidebottom, Cameron, Mihocek
De Goey, Cox, Elliott

McCreery, Noble, Brown, Bianco
Sub: Thomas

Yes it is quite a tall line up, however we need to combat their height around the ground. I anticipate Brown will be in for Weideman which gives them Brown, Jackson, McDonald and Gawn to combat, so the addition of Keane to that backline makes sense to me, so far in 2021 he has shown more than Kelly.

A combo of Lynch, Cox and Cameron should be able to counter Gawn and Jackson, while having the extra tall to try and limit the influence the May, Lever and Petty across halfback will go a long way in helping us win this game, McCreery needs to spend time shutting Salem down too.

Lynch will be a key for mine, no one expects him to beat Gawn but he needs to compete every single contest. Make body contact and try and stop Gawn getting clean tapdowns to Oliver and Trac. When he's pushed forward he needs to do the same and make sure none of the Melbourne KPD's get easy run and jumps at the ball to intercept. I don't really mind if he only has 3 touches for the whole day as long as he makes life hell for Gawn and co for 4 quarters on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back