Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 12 vs. MELB - Gabba, Sat 15/08 @ 5:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully today is the day, we can click into gear and come away with a win that could see us knocking on the door of the top 4.
Just want to see some good cohesive footy, with minimal turnover, less handball and direct footy to F50 to put the Melbourne defence under pressure.

I think top 4 is out of the question now with the Cats win last night.

Cats have an easy run home. Only top 8 team they play are the Tigers.

Port only play one top 8 team, they play is us.

Lions only play 2 top 8 teams, they play us and Saints.

The Eagles might be the only team that drop out. They have Giants, Tigers & Saints. Tigers & Saints both in QLD hubs.

I think 11+ wins guarantee top 4. We need to go 5 out of 6 for a chance at top 4.

Don't believe that for a minute. Considering the players are living in a bubble, any indiscretions would be headline news!!

I like that 'I'm hearing' or 'I heard' in modern-day just means, I read someone else say it on a forum or on twitter and I'm going to continue the chain of Chinese whispers so I can pretend I have inside information.

Unless he's genuinely underdone from his lack of pre-season this will be one of the more incompetent moves by our selection panel - and that's really saying something. Clownshow
He’s been sluggish all year. His intensity in all areas of his game has been down. I reckon he might have mild chronic fatigue as a result of his glandular fever.

I love the optimism... In my opinion he didn’t tap the ball. He lost the contest like usual and Ruscoe was just good enough to rove the contest properly.
Suggest you go back and watch it, because there was clear intent from Stephenson to spoil the ball (he was coming in from behind in the contest) and he tapped it very intentionally to Ruscoes advantage. Credit where it’s due, it was incredibly smart play from Stevo, because he was never going to be able to mark from the position he was in.

As a side note, it was an incredibly s**t kick from Brown. Stephenson was in prime position at the back to run off his man in to goal if the ball had been delivered properly, but Brown delivered an up and under ball instead.

He’s been sluggish all year. His intensity in all areas of his game has been down. I reckon he might have mild chronic fatigue as a result of his glandular fever.

Don't think the coaching staff would have had him playing a more central role up the ground if his fitness was in any question.
If he was suffering from the effects of the glandular fever, l think they would have just parked him in the goal square every game, and see if he could chip in with a goal or two.

Suggest you go back and watch it, because there was clear intent from Stephenson to spoil the ball (he was coming in from behind in the contest) and he tapped it very intentionally to Ruscoes advantage. Credit where it’s due, it was incredibly smart play from Stevo, because he was never going to be able to mark from the position he was in.

As a side note, it was an incredibly sh*t kick from Brown. Stephenson was in prime position at the back to run off his man in to goal if the ball had been delivered properly, but Brown delivered an up and under ball instead.

I’m not doubting that spoiling was the right option and that the result turned out great. I just don’t think it was exactly the deft touch it is being made out to be.

In fact it was stood out so much given it was so uncharacteristic and one of the very few times he actually bothered to compete in a contested marking situation. Usually his opponent just applies the slightest bit of body work, takes front position and he becomes completely non-competitive.

Don't think the coaching staff would have had him playing a more central role up the ground if his fitness was in any question.
If he was suffering from the effects of the glandular fever, l think they would have just parked him in the goal square every game, and see if he could chip in with a goal or two.
Neither you nor I know the ins and outs of what the coaching staff would do. All I’m going is trying to put the pieces together.
What we know for sure is that in his first two years, Stevo’s work rate and intent both offensively and defensively was first class, without question. We know he had GF over the preseason. We know that all year his intensity has been significantly down. We know that he seems to be sleeping a lot during the day via players social media posts. He’s relatively subdued after games.
For mine, a player doesn’t just suddenly lose their drive and work rate over night without significant reason. They don’t just lose their enthusiasm after a win. People seem to think something sinister is going on and he’s unhappy at Collingwood, but the most obvious reason for all that is staring us in the face, and that’s that he’s still having some after effects of GF. From my own experience, it put me out of action for a month, but I lacked my regular energy and endurance for nearly 6 months after that despite being able to function relatively normally. I also wanted to sleep constantly. Was told by my GP that I had borderline chronic fatigue. I’m actually surprised that so many people are dismissing the most obvious reason while putting their tinfoil hats on. Actually, this is BF so I shouldn’t be surprised at all....

I think top 4 is out of the question now with the Cats win last night.

Cats have an easy run home. Only top 8 team they play are the Tigers.

Port only play one top 8 team, they play is us.

Lions only play 2 top 8 teams, they play us and Saints.

The Eagles might be the only team that drop out. They have Giants, Tigers & Saints. Tigers & Saints both in QLD hubs.

I think 11+ wins guarantee top 4. We need to go 5 out of 6 for a chance at top 4.
Top 4 would be brilliant but at least if we finish 7th or 8th it could give Howe, Treloar and De Goey an opportunity to get in an extra game if we are good enough to get into a GF.

Neither you nor I know the ins and outs of what the coaching staff would do. All I’m going is trying to put the pieces together.
What we know for sure is that in his first two years, Stevo’s work rate and intent both offensively and defensively was first class, without question. We know he had GF over the preseason. We know that all year his intensity has been significantly down. We know that he seems to be sleeping a lot during the day via players social media posts. He’s relatively subdued after games.
For mine, a player doesn’t just suddenly lose their drive and work rate over night without significant reason. They don’t just lose their enthusiasm after a win. People seem to think something sinister is going on and he’s unhappy at Collingwood, but the most obvious reason for all that is staring us in the face, and that’s that he’s still having some after effects of GF. From my own experience, it put me out of action for a month, but I lacked my regular energy and endurance for nearly 6 months after that despite being able to function relatively normally. I also wanted to sleep constantly. Was told by my GP that I had borderline chronic fatigue. I’m actually surprised that so many people are dismissing the most obvious reason while putting their tinfoil hats on. Actually, this is BF so I shouldn’t be surprised at all....

Exactly, we don't know what goes on with the fitness or coaching staff, but l think with all the sports science and testing of players endurance and running capacities, l would be very surprised if there was any shadow of a doubt that Stevo could play a role up the ground due to his fitness or the effects of GF, they wouldn't have played him in that role this season, especially with a condensed fixture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 4 would be brilliant but at least if we finish 7th or 8th it could give Howe, Treloar and De Goey an opportunity to get in an extra game if we are good enough to get into a GF.

I think anyone could win the flag this year. It is going to depend more on player fitness and availability rather than ladder positions.

Exactly, we don't know what goes on with the fitness or coaching staff, but l think with all the sports science and testing of players endurance and running capacities, l would be very surprised if there was any shadow of a doubt that Stevo could play a role up the ground due to his fitness or the effects of GF, they wouldn't have played him in that role this season, especially with a condensed fixture.
Yet they did, and he’s looked lethargic and has been relatively ineffective the entire time, regardless of where he’s played...

although i was a fan of stevo when he was playing well, i was nervous about the heart thing. This disease thing that he's had shows a long term weakness. I doubt that he will make it to 25 in footy terms without being continuously injured or sick.

we need to cut our losses and trade...

mayne was ok for 2018 but is slowly going bad to worse. Time to cut him adrift...

wills is a solid vfl footballer and everyone has said. not fast no skills no more...

ben reid is fair to good these days but he needs more nursing than a 2 month old baby... out..

broomhead had his game back... grundy has signed up longterm...no reason to play him again..

langdon injured all the time... time to trade him

varcoe has already retired in his head...

josh thomas is an almost player... almost made it.... leave him in qld when the boys return.

hoskin elliiot doesnt fit the mould of a collingwood player.... we need a wimp free zone.

jack madgen is a good basketballer for a footballer... end the experiment

mason cox might get a trade... we should pursue it but send him back to texas if not

mark keane ...nice try... see you back in corke next end of season international rules games in ireland.

Tohill... kept his irish mate company...no longer required.

Appleby....thanks for warming the bench....see ya

Tom Phillips .. looked good for a while....a while ago... time to take that position in india long term

lynden dunn is done....cooked....done..

although i was a fan of stevo when he was playing well, i was nervous about the heart thing. This disease thing that he's had shows a long term weakness. I doubt that he will make it to 25 in footy terms without being continuously injured or sick.

mayne was ok for 2018 but is slowly going bad to worse. Time to cut him adrift...

wills is a solid vfl footballer and everyone has said. not fast no skills no more...

ben reid is fair to good these days but he needs more nursing than a 2 month old baby... out..

broomhead had his game back... grundy has signed up longterm...no reason to play him again..

josh thomas is an almost player... almost made it.... leave him in qld when the boys return.

hoskin elliiot doesnt fit the mould of a collingwood player.... we need a wimp free zone.

mason cox might get a trade... we should pursue it but send him back to texas if not

mark keane ...nice try... see you back in corke next end of season international rules games in ireland.

Tom Phillips .. looked good for a while....a while ago... time to take that position in india long term

Might as well just never try and develop any young talent then eh?

jesus so we are adel 🤣

Maybe his workrate has to be questioned?
Do you think that his work rate, which was top notch for the previous two years, is going to fall this dramatically without a physical reason? Attitude and work ethic don’t just magically go away over the space of a couple of months. I’m not buying the conspiracy theories.

jesus so we are adel 🤣
Mark has been taking the piss on this forum for years. His idea of being clever is sarcastically parodying anything he doesn’t agree with. I used to think he was funny but it’s a tiresome act after a while...

Mark has been taking the piss on this forum for years. His idea of being clever is sarcastically parodying anything he doesn’t agree with. I used to think he was funny but it’s a tiresome act after a while...

i dunno.... i never get tired of my comments. I like to call a spade a shovel and it was time to do an audit. I hadn't finished but i posted because I had to make some lunch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back