Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 23 vs. Carlton, Sun 21/08, 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He did have more opportunities than Fin. But this is coming from Jack himself. Maybe he is too modest, but he does view Fin has futher in development than he was at that age and says he is more talented.
Jack didn't have the unfortunate of covid stunting his development. But if he thinks Fin is the better player ...geez imagine in 5 years time.

I saw him at the match sim session at vic park in the preseason, watching Fin. Had a chat to him. He's a quiet fellow.

Yeah, but Jack was a genuine afl star by his 2nd year, while Finn has only recently started playing good vfl footy, so let’s not compare them too much. jack was definitely not a slow burn, he was the opposite.

Pretty much.
Not ideal situations.

Now comes the time to temper expectations, we need to remember this is very much a development year - regardless.

To all on here DO NOT be disappointed in a finals exit, even if it's a straight sets exit from top 4, which is very possible.

What is also very possible is we win the whole box and dice - the cup - given our system stands up to just about everyone.

That's what we've got - system - we don't have the talent of the other 7 teams in it.

IF we do happen to win the cup, it will wholey and soley be on the back of our brilliant system - nothing else.

Looking forward, it is bright, but I'm slightly tepid, given the very close ends of Pendles, Sides and Howe.

We have to pinch one when we have these 3 - in current form I might add, my fair speculation is that it has to be this year or the next. Talk about a get of jail free card!

If not just pray the blose, bomb outs, september skiers or tuggers don't win one before us. They are our natural enemies, we are still slightly the alpha and we need to keep it that way.

I remember that day well -- I listened to the game on an old transistor radio, as you did back then.

I also remember the next morning, when the entire "Word of Sport" crew sang a bastardised version of the other club's theme song, led by Lou Richards:

"We killed the navy blues
"We killed the all-star navy blues
"Carlton's team was never in the race
"Da da da da da da da da da da da
"We were so classy
"We kicked the chassis
"Off Ron Barassi..." and so on.

Does anyone else remember that? Happy days.
I was there! One of my favourite memories. I was down on the fence after dad told me to push my way forward. I was ten years old and surrounded by can swilling adults and the air was thick with cigarette smoke , a smell I love to this day even though I'm a non smoker. I only caught occasional glimpses of the play and green grass when the tightly packed mob parted briefly.
I saw Greening gather the pill, baulk, and off one step slot a magnificent goal at the Robert Heatley stand end.
I remember the Collingwood crowd in the outer being delirious and as a young kid it was intimidating and intoxicating. Big men were jumping up and down and arms were flailing but it was the first time I experienced that incredible feeling of belonging to something bigger than myself.
When the siren sounded the rowdy celebrations continued and my hair was ruffled by more than one pair of hands.

When dad and I were reunited it was a blissful feeling. I loved those days. Dad was so happy and we would review all if the great moments and begin dreaming about flags. Dad would tell me tales of Bobby Rose and the great deeds of Collingwood teams of the past.

As we walked around the outside of Princes Park a drunk but very happy pie supporter screamed "Go Pies" and rubbed my head.

I felt as happy and at home as I have ever felt at any time in my life.

Thanks for posting this beautiful memory.

So lose and we play Richmond next week.

If Sydney win and we win, we'll play Geelong.

If Sydney lose and we win, we'll play Melbourne.

Is it that where we're at now?
Considering how we play against the Dees then they are the ones to play. Our defence have them covered, we know to avoid May etc, it’s their mids which are a huge concern.

Honestly the cats should win it all this year they are very strong I don’t think we get near them.

Richmond will be a good game 50/50, hold Lynch to only a couple and we are right in it. Their mids won’t dominate us like other teams and our forwards are a really good match up and then there’s the big Cox who loves strutting his stuff on the big stage. I can see him having another night out and totally messing with their heads.

What ever happens win or lose I’m very proud of the team this season. Glad we got Fly and the others in, we have an attacking game style and my pessimism for the next few years has gone away and been replaced with excitement especially watching what AJ can do. He gets the juices flowing every time he goes near the ball.

We should be playing Carlton tonight. Absolute joke that the Bummers and Tigs have the game.
Better that we’re not, otherwise would’ve only had a 6 day break plus travel back from Sydney… last time we played the scum this year we also travelled back from Perth 😡

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please Pies - emulate your neighbours
All the easy games 😂. I’d take Melb over either geel or rich.
Cameron likely to be out for Cats first final, that just leaves Hawkins who’s struggling with a back complaint, I wouldn’t mind copping them in week one, would prefer not to play them again afterwards though, beast of a team.

Last edited:
Nerves are kicking in. This feels like a final.
Have to take your word for it - I don't think anyone in our side has even played a "live" final-round game for Carlton, much less a final. In that respect, your 9 Grand Final players ought to stand you in good stead tomorrow.

It is going to be a great occasion, and I hope the game lives up to the billing! See you there...

Up early, couldn't sleep as it feels very much like we are going to go watch a final today. Very nervous, excited, apprehensive etc etc for what outcome the day brings. Please be top 4.....🙏🙏🙏......C"mon boys you can get this done. We deserve to be top 4 after the season we have had, so far...

very tight game. Blues up and about, reckon Voss has got stuck into them and they have more to play for. We've come off a strong opponent, but do we get better as a result, or lose some confidence. Our trajectory seems to be going the opposite way to Richmond, Geelong, Sydney... so will be v impressive if we can rebound and make an impression in the next few weeks

Not going to lie.

I would have preferred to see Henry included in our forward mix as I worry we'll struggle to kick a winning score with the Carlton defence looking stronger on paper since our last meeting and many of our forward options carrying a query in regards to fitness and/or consistency.

Some people can question Henry all they like but the fact remains that in his 18th game of senior football he was our leading goal scorer with 3 in a game against Carlton we won by 4pts.

If we refuse to include Henry then it's time for Cox to spend more time forward and time for him to stand up in the position. While we rarely see his best the fact he occasionally delivers a commanding performance can't be ignored by the opposition and could force their hand in terms of match ups.

The Carlton ins and outs look to have made them a harder proposition this time around while ours at best are on par.

For us to win you sense it'll come down to our system and whether we have collectively improved as a team more than Carlton since our last meeting.

Changes since our last meeting>

Collingwood out: Henry, Adams, T.Brown
Collingwood in: Johnson, Macrae, McCreery

Carlton out: Hewett, Newman, Newnes, O'Brien, Dow, De Koning, Plowman, *Carroll (medi-sub)
Carlton in: McKay, McGovern, Williams, Marchbank, Martin, Pittonet, Setterfield, *Weitering (injured)

We obviously need to win to get top 4 but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the Dogs get rolled. Would really sap the fun out of it!

That resuk5 will be during our game anyway. I don’t give a rats about Carlton tbh., beating them will be enough so we get the double chance and start dreaming what ifs about a direct entry to the prelim.

Mrs went out. Sliced her foot opened. Stuck at the Alfred.

Out: Sleep
In: 6 coffees

Im pulling an all-nighter. Let’s hope the Pies win now.
Firstly, hoping your Mrs is alright. Then you after 6 coffees and worrying about her. But hope you are pulling something else tonight all night after a Pies win 😳🤣😜

I was there! One of my favourite memories. I was down on the fence after dad told me to push my way forward. I was ten years old and surrounded by can swilling adults and the air was thick with cigarette smoke , a smell I love to this day even though I'm a non smoker. I only caught occasional glimpses of the play and green grass when the tightly packed mob parted briefly.
I saw Greening gather the pill, baulk, and off one step slot a magnificent goal at the Robert Heatley stand end.
I remember the Collingwood crowd in the outer being delirious and as a young kid it was intimidating and intoxicating. Big men were jumping up and down and arms were flailing but it was the first time I experienced that incredible feeling of belonging to something bigger than myself.
When the siren sounded the rowdy celebrations continued and my hair was ruffled by more than one pair of hands.

When dad and I were reunited it was a blissful feeling. I loved those days. Dad was so happy and we would review all if the great moments and begin dreaming about flags. Dad would tell me tales of Bobby Rose and the great deeds of Collingwood teams of the past.

As we walked around the outside of Princes Park a drunk but very happy pie supporter screamed "Go Pies" and rubbed my head.

I felt as happy and at home as I have ever felt at any time in my life.

Thanks for posting this beautiful memory.
Sensational post. What a memory to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back