Preview Changes/pre-match discussion vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that we now have the capability to be flexible against different opponents but dumont isn't the one on the outer. He's a core component of that midfield and deserves to play

We have 30 blokes with claims to a spot in our best 22.

From same game last year:

Out: Harvey, Nahas, Dal Santo, Firitto, Petrie, Thomas, McKenzie, Ray
In: Higgins, Turner, Wood, Garner, Clarke, Williams, Hrovat, Vickers-Willis

Harvey, Nahas, Dal Santo, Firitto, Petrie, Thomas, McKenzie, Ray

...and we still won by 10 goals.

The only team that can beat North Melbourne this week is North Melbourne.

Unfortunately, this is still something that we are more than capable of doing. Get that K/H ratio up over 1.2:1 and we should be right.

Carlton will be honest, but I expect our scoring options to overwhelm them as the game goes on.

Spot on
bit of groupthink going on re Ats a la Gibbo
I think he's been having a good yr with entirely no stats to back that up

It seems we are back to playing the much loved Run and Gun of the Harper era, with hopefully a more capable defence
We have quite a variety of players to choose from at present

Surprised there hasn't been more whinging, justified whinging that we didn't get hold of the Ds
Shld have kicked 8 in the !st, and playe dthe whole 3rd Q in our fwd line

Team defence was good v Ds

See what he did in that game last year, in the goals GR just posted? have a look in the highlights above at 7 minutes in. There is a centre clearance and its actually made by Atley running off half back. Beautiful long kick to Goldy. Bang goal.

He's not doing that and its what he should be doing. He would certainly benefit from some time at Werribee to just practice that sort of thing. He could get 20 or 30 possies a game and be under less pressure and able to practise running the right way. He's probably been under a bit more pressure physically this year especially compared to that run and kick for Goldy to mark above. And he has done a lot of things well including multiple give and get handballs followed by good runs. His disposal is usually pretty good too. But he doesn't seem to be attacking things right. About 2 years ago he was dropped and came back playing great footy.

I don't want to see him dropped and not come back, which is what alot of people want for Gibbo. I want to see him come back playing the way he can when it clicks for him cos it would really fit this side at the moment.

Unfortunately, this is still something that we are more than capable of doing. Get that K/H ratio up over 1.2:1 and we should be right.

Carlton will be honest, but I expect our scoring options to overwhelm them as the game goes on.

I agree with this.

If we come to play we will win. If we come thinking we will roll over the top of them, they will turn it into a scrap and who knows.

If at the end of the season we look back and can say that the effort of the Sydney game is a clear outlier I'd suggest we will probably have gotten pretty close to (if not in) finals.

...and we still won by 10 goals.
Petrie cooked and Dal and Boomer non contributers defensively.

I think we are a more balanced side than last year with the ability to apply pressure at all points of the ground and multiple avenues to goal now. That's not saying that the round 5 team this year would beat the round 5 team of last year, but our ability to be able to rely on 'structures' has improved. Not to mention getting games into EVW, Hrovat, Williams, Clarke, Wood, Garner, Turner will be better for us long term considering they all are showing the wears to have long AFL careers, not just decent youngsters.

This game will rest on our ability to lock them in their defensive half. We showed some excellent form in this area for large parts of last week, and if we can do so again we will win reasonably handsomly. I don't hold much fear for their forwardline, nor is their defence a scary proposition if we can move the ball in quickly. Win the pill in the middle and get it in quick, then lock it in and we will win. If we do get caught on the transition I think our defensive group is capable of handling them pretty well one on one, but hard running from the midfield unit will certainly be required. A lock down on Docherty would be advisable to prevent clean, quick movement from the back half. Maybe Ats gets this role again this week.

Tick the boxes and we win. North by 36.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turner should get a job on Docherty.
Reckon Docherty plays a little to high for that. We want sugar in the D50 bustin blokes.

Aside from Harvey and Dal that is a fair improvement to the side. Our forward line has a much better dynamic without Lindsay and Drew out there.

Wells the other who didnt play who was obviously a regular.

You've just got to be playing Dumont if he's right to go..........surely.
Yep.

There is no justifiable reason to play Swallow over Dumont or Clarke. Dumont, in particular, is much better now, Clarke offers us a better balance and both are better for our future.

Turner should get a job on Docherty.
I think that will be a role for Anderson should he come in. His defensive and pressure efforts have been outstanding since he's come back into the side.

Aside from Harvey and Dal that is a fair improvement to the side. Our forward line has a much better dynamic without Lindsay and Drew out there.
Other 'regulars' Wright Jacobs
And good Lindsay is a v v good footballer
Playing well kicking straight behaving
A few issues there!
If so, def Best 22

9a791638b51f424a0e993128a89c3027.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back