Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We took 21 for Christensen. Should provide people with a good reference point.
Prepare to be disappointed if you are expecting 40. Hes played 29 games in 7 years and is OOC.

It's about time Geelong looked to get value from one of its players (unlike Vardy, bundy, kersten, Varcoe etc.).

Geelong rates McCarthy highly and weve tabled a multi year offer to him. Us cats fans have been accustomed to accepting sub par compensation from past trades. but it's sub-par, not the norm. It's not out of the realms that that's how Geelong rates him, he's always a lock best 22 player when fit. It's his fitness that's the issue, not the player he is.

Good on us for asking for Brisbane's R2, it's time to show them we are not a charity case anymore. Push for pick 22, but settle for 40.

Doesn't work like that.

He is out of contract and injury prone.

Will be pick 58 or next years round 4. The only way we get pick 40 is if Brisbane aren't going to use it.

Can play tough on Kelly and get something equivalent of pick 10 instead of an early 20's pick but that's because he is contracted.

I've always had a soft tissue injury spot for McCarthy, so I'm going to be sad to see him go. That said, I did say at the start of this year I thought it was make or break for him and unfortunately it's just been more of the same.

He'd be mad not to take a potential 3 year deal at Brisbane though - maybe/hopefully the warmer weather up there will be better for his hammies. I still reckon he'll be a gun if he gets a decent run at it.

Good lord, he played 56% forward this year? I thought he was predominantly used through the midfield. Two goals across the entire season looks even worse now.
Did you watch the doggies this year? Anyone who scored a goal was a freak. How far they have fallen! My bigger concern about Dahlhaus is his need for off field player support. I hear he has some bad habits

I was shocked to read:

I thought asking for pick 40 (their 3rd round) would be pushing it, but if that is on potentially on the table then we take it without blinking - seems to be a big win in our favour if that is how it goes down
Well cats 09 you might be more rite than me haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised Linc didn't do a hammy during the fitness test. Good work Linc, you may have got us a higher pick.

Now all he has to do is wait till the deal is done to resume normal programming with either a hamstring, groin or back.
Ill have that lot in the finals next year. Warmth really kept my hammies supple in the training session.

On to Kelly..

There seems to be so much debate on his worth from us, WC, and freo fans.

It is so freaking obvious how it will play out (assuming he chooses home this year or next).

If we trade him in 2019, we get WC or Freo's round 1 pick. That is a given. He is worth a pick 8 - 12 this year or next.

We won't trade him for less than that this year as we get that next year when we are forced to trade. So for us to trade him we need something extra to compensate us for the loss of a season of Kelly while we still push for a flag.

The only available options for us to agree to a trade split by the 2 perth clubs are:

• Freo's pick 6 (some other late pick swaps in their favour), assuming they get pick 5 for Neale.
  • West coast's 2019 R1 (which we get anyway if we trade next year) plus their gaff compo (probably be about pick 22 after FA, pp etc. which compensates us for losing a season of Kelly).
The above trades are slightly in our favour on paper to compensate us for losing a season of Kelly in his prime.

The alternative is to accept next year's R1 from WC/Freo + a full season of Kelly.

There will be no Kelly trade for a 20s WC pick - mark my words.
Consider them marked

Pick 40 is about right for McCarthy. He's one that could come back to bite us hard.

He's got some talent that could potentially give that outcome but it doesn't mean the club letting him go is the wrong call. We just delisted Gregson and he was injury prone yet played more games in 4 seasons than Linc has in 7. You simply can't responsibly offer a player like that more than 1 year and if he wants more years than that elsewhere it's the right call to let him chase it.

Any chance of getting Jamie Elliott?

He's still unsigned so yes. You would think it comes down to price you don't want to offer too much $ and picks for a player that injury prone. Given our record with injury prone players i'd rather we stay away.

Surely Brisbane just let him enter the pre-season draft
Something keeps telling me from my grey cells that they got rid of the Pre-season draft.
Can anyone confirm or deny that?

He's got some talent that could potentially give that outcome but it doesn't mean the club letting him go is the wrong call. We just delisted Gregson and he was injury prone yet played more games in 4 seasons than Linc has in 7. You simply can't responsibly offer a player like that more than 1 year and if he wants more years than that elsewhere it's the right call to let him chase it.
There's a two year deal on the table from Geelong.

There's a two year deal on the table from Geelong.

And even that's 1 more than we should offer. If Brisbane offer 3 good luck to him and them.

He's still unsigned so yes. You would think it comes down to price you don't want to offer too much $ and picks for a player that injury prone. Given our record with injury prone players i'd rather we stay away.
He's the type of forward we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back