Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luke Foley would have to be the most underdeveloped overage draftee in years, question his professionalism when hes entering a draft at that weight as a 19 year old.

Surely any level of difference between the vfl and sanfl is minimal. Any comparison of players playing in the leagues is fair. Although any player in an afl team should be able to perform at a better level as a full time player in an afl program. People on here would be better judges than me on junior players. One of the main reasons I originally came here was to learn more about this type of thing. So regardless of some of he bickering I appreciate those giving info about the club and potential draftees.

And if you are refering to the Budda who regularly has a beer with us during the year, then I would have to say that it is doubtful that there is anyone on this forum who is better informed.
Picked both Kelly and Constable to be selected by Geelong pre-draft last year too iirc

Surely any level of difference between the vfl and sanfl is minimal. Any comparison of players playing in the leagues is fair. Although any player in an afl team should be able to perform at a better level as a full time player in an afl program. People on here would be better judges than me on junior players. One of the main reasons I originally came here was to learn more about this type of thing. So regardless of some of he bickering I appreciate those giving info about the club and potential draftees.
Me too,but it's hard going swimming against the undercurrent.

2016 at Adelaide SANFL 16-10-(106) def VFL 13-9(87)
2008 at Adelaide SANFL 25-11(161) def VFL 14-12(96)
2005 at Northport Oval SANFL 20-8(128) def VFL 18-16(124)
2002 at Adelaide Oval VFL 18-17(125) def SANFL 10-9(69)
2001 at Adelaide Oval SANFL 20-14(134) def VFL 14-12(96)
1999 at MCG SANFL 12-11(83) def VFL 8-11(59)

SANFL seem to have the edge ( home ground advantage may be a factor) but only one "blow out" each in games between the respective competitions. Not a lot in it really...It appears pretty competitive...

2016 at Adelaide SANFL 16-10-(106) def VFL 13-9(87)
2008 at Adelaide SANFL 25-11(161) def VFL 14-12(96)
2005 at Northport Oval SANFL 20-8(128) def VFL 18-16(124)
2002 at Adelaide Oval VFL 18-17(125) def SANFL 10-9(69)
2001 at Adelaide Oval SANFL 20-14(134) def VFL 14-12(96)
1999 at MCG SANFL 12-11(83) def VFL 8-11(59)

SANFL seem to have the edge ( home ground advantage may be a factor) but only one "blow out" each in games between the respective competitions. Not a lot in it really...It appears pretty competitive...

Zero AFL listed players play in these games. Every weekend there would be 10-20 AFL listed players in the SANFL. Every weekend there would be 60-80 AFL listed players in the VFL. Do the math.

Zero AFL listed players play in these games. Every weekend there would be 10-20 AFL listed players in the SANFL. Every weekend there would be 60-80 AFL listed players in the VFL. Do the math.

Wasn't aware of that....

VFL better than SANFL? I have heard it all now.
If the VFL played a game with their AFL listed players present who weren't playing AFL, they'd destroy them.

Anyway, it's irrelevant. This debate started over a player some rate and others don't. Let's move on.

We might even take him with our second pick.

I'm not convinced that he's a legitimate KPD but he would certainly be able to play the third tall role.
I don't know much about him, but do we have too many of the third-tall defender types?
Stewart, Kolo (can also play KPD), Henry, O'Connor, Okunbur... Even Zuthrie and Constable can play tall in those roles.

However, with picks in the 50s (which may be in the 40s on draft night), sometimes you have to go left of centre and take a punt.

I don't know much about him, but do we have too many of the third-tall defender types?
Stewart, Kolo (can also play KPD), Henry, O'Connor, Okunbur... Even Zuthrie and Constable can play tall in those roles.

However, with picks in the 50s (which may be in the 40s on draft night), sometimes you have to go left of centre and take a punt.
I have always thought Idun was a better prospect as a forward, would be interested where he settles in an AFL environment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This may have been said before (but there's 330 pages to read through and who can be bothered) but I'd love us to bid on Kieran Briggs with Pick 12. 200cm ruckman who is a great tackler and has a big tank. Only problem is that he is tied to GWS through their academy, so our later picks will need to be sent to GWS, or we'll need to do some serious pick swapping to get the deal done

If we can't get Briggs, Bailey Williams is another option. 198cm, although he prefers to play as a key forward, I'd see how interested he would be in coming down to the Cats as a pure ruckman who pinch hits in the forward line, pretty much exactly the same as how Brad Ottens played during his time at the Cats.

We definitely need to take a ruckman with our first pick, if we draft another midfielder because "he was the best player left" I'm not going to be too happy. Sometimes we need to take what we need, not what we want

This may have been said before (but there's 330 pages to read through and who can be bothered) but I'd love us to bid on Kieran Briggs with Pick 12. 200cm ruckman who is a great tackler and has a big tank. Only problem is that he is tied to GWS through their academy, so our later picks will need to be sent to GWS, or we'll need to do some serious pick swapping to get the deal done

If we can't get Briggs, Bailey Williams is another option. 198cm, although he prefers to play as a key forward, I'd see how interested he would be in coming down to the Cats as a pure ruckman who pinch hits in the forward line, pretty much exactly the same as how Brad Ottens played during his time at the Cats.

We definitely need to take a ruckman with our first pick, if we draft another midfielder because "he was the best player left" I'm not going to be too happy. Sometimes we need to take what we need, not what we want
I'd bid at pick 50 to be honest, pick 12 would be just about the biggest reach of all time.

I'd bid at pick 50 to be honest, pick 12 would be just about the biggest reach of all time.

We'd have to hold our breath for 38 picks though hoping he doesn't get picked up. If we're keen, I'd get him as soon as possible. And if we bid at 12 and lose, the picks we would get back would be excellent

Given list changes (removing the deadwood) so far, and yes we have ageing stars, but with Bews the only player having surgery before pre-season; I find it interesting that our Premiership odds have blown out to 26-1 (betfair), but you could technically get hit at 30-1.

Seems like a fair bet and one where you could hedge the bet out later in the season as the odds come in.

We'd have to hold our breath for 38 picks though hoping he doesn't get picked up. If we're keen, I'd get him as soon as possible. And if we bid at 12 and lose, the picks we would get back would be excellent
You may have misunderstood the bidding system. If GWS match then they give up later picks to take him at 12, and we go at 13. Those picks they gave up are burnt in this process, not given to us.

We have Schlensog in our academy as a ruckman/forward who we can take as a rookie who is rated highly by his coach, we've taken Krueger already and we have Ratugolea coming through as forwards. Unless one of the Kings slip we should take a mid who has the potential to have a impact at AFL level or a classy half forward.

Given list changes (removing the deadwood) so far, and yes we have ageing stars, but with Bews the only player having surgery before pre-season; I find it interesting that our Premiership odds have blown out to 26-1 (betfair), but you could technically get hit at 30-1.

Seems like a fair bet and one where you could hedge the bet out later in the season as the odds come in.
I don't find it interesting at all if you take a look at the 2019 ladder prediction thread on the main board. Another year where's the public assume we'll fall. It also staggers how GWS continue to be rated.

You may have misunderstood the bidding system. If GWS match then they give up later picks to take him at 12, and we go at 13. Those picks they gave up are burnt in this process, not given to us.

I think I may have actually. Cheers for clearing that up :thumbsu:

Briggs may be the most underrated player in the draft. I would bid if we had a pick in the early 20s

I've said Bailey Williams for a while isn't a bad option does play like Ottens.
Probably now prefer a big midfielder high accumulator like Hately but Williams can play and be dangerous up forward.
Has the ability to win games.

Last edited:
I've said Bailey Williams for a while isn't a bad option does play like Ottens.
Probably now prefer a big midfielder high accumulator like Hately but Williams can play and be dangerous up forward.
Has the ability to win games.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards Williams. I feel like we've got a plethora of midfielders already, especially with Constable who hasn't played yet. I'd go for Williams

There are also 4x the amount of AFL teams feeding the VFL than SANFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back