Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stanley has been good but not good enough to stop us from looking at other rucks.
I might have to watch Sean Darcy more closely... He could be part of a TK trade, bundled with some picks. Not sure if he's good enough though. Looks like Shane Mumford type ruckman. Apparently Darcy can bench press +130kgs.

On Moto G (5) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I might have to watch Sean Darcy more closely... He could be part of a TK trade, bundled with some picks. Not sure if he's good enough though. Looks like Shane Mumford type ruckman. Apparently Darcy can bench press +130kgs.

On Moto G (5) using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is just not my style of ruck..yet others seem to laver him him butter and eat him up.. The one thing he has going for him is he is an earlier pick ( some sort of indication of talent) and younger than most if not all our rucks..

He is just not my style of ruck..yet others seem to laver him him butter and eat him up.. The one thing he has going for him is he is an earlier pick ( some sort of indication of talent) and younger than most if not all our rucks..

I’m ambivalent. He looks like an old fashioned ruckman that would struggle with mobility in today’s game but at the moment at least he appears able to overcome that. Long term?

I think a couple of contested winning bulls with legspeed wouldn’t go astray.

I’m ambivalent. He looks like an old fashioned ruckman that would struggle with mobility in today’s game but at the moment at least he appears able to overcome that. Long term?

Listen to big Max at the end of the Des game.. even he commented on his inability to move him .. Maybe.. thething with Darcy is much like the main reason I liked Blake .. He may not always have been dominant or being photogenic ..but he was rarely beaten. He could neutralise the ball... Gees Stanley made made Lycett look like a Polly Farmer / Simon Madden hybrid. No wonder they have moved towards him away from Ryder.

So we will see what the clubs does. I suspect they will look at whats available . Lycett was a FA. Just how much would it cost to get Jacobs for a season or 2 as a FA? What about Ryder ..although he is a better footballer than Stanley he has similar traits. Just how many #1 rucks at the 18 clubs were drafted by that club? Still .. my more natural fall back is to get the best kid to our club as early as possible and get him ready so that by the time he is 21 22 ish he is ready to go. That will not happen if we have a full list of spare tyre rucks. one or two is OK. but we should have one legit kid imo. How much have you seen of Walsh a the Falcons?

Listen to big Max at the end of the Des game.. even he commented on his inability to move him .. Maybe.. thething with Darcy is much like the main reason I liked Blake .. He may not always have been dominant or being photogenic ..but he was rarely beaten. He could neutralise the ball... Gees Stanley made made Lycett look like a Polly Farmer / Simon Madden hybrid. No wonder they have moved towards him away from Ryder.

So we will see what the clubs does. I suspect they will look at whats available . Lycett was a FA. Just how much would it cost to get Jacobs for a season or 2 as a FA? What about Ryder ..although he is a better footballer than Stanley he has similar traits. Just how many #1 rucks at the 18 clubs were drafted by that club? Still .. my more natural fall back is to get the best kid to our club as early as possible and get him ready so that by the time he is 21 22 ish he is ready to go. That will not happen if we have a full list of spare tyre rucks. one or two is OK. but we should have one legit kid imo. How much have you seen of Walsh a the Falcons?

I think Jacobs is all but done so I’d discount him as an option. I’m surprised that Ryder is out of favour at Port but clearly the combination of the two playing in tandom isn’t working. Ryder may be worth a look at but I have my doubts as to whether he’d want to move his life east to Geelong for a season or two on a mediocre contract.

Have only seen glimpses of Walsh and whilst looking ok he’s very lightly framed so years away from being a factor in my opinion.

Not sure what our options are to be honest. But the days of recent years where rucks were seen by many as non critical players in the game should be past now.

In the short term I’d be giving Smith another go I think. He’s our best tap ruck.

I think Jacobs is all but done so I’d discount him as an option. I’m surprised that Ryder is out of favour at Port but clearly the combination of the two playing in tandom isn’t working. Ryder may be worth a look at but I have my doubts as to whether he’d want to move his life east to Geelong for a season or two on a mediocre contract.

Have only seen glimpses of Walsh and whilst looking ok he’s very lightly framed so years away from being a factor in my opinion.

Not sure what our options are to be honest. But the days of recent years where rucks were seen by many as non critical players in the game should be past now.

In the short term I’d be giving Smith another go I think. He’s our best tap ruck.

I think Smith should be gone.. and Abbot is not really much more than a listed VFL player. Fort will have to put a lot of work in to get better for afl level.
Walsh is thin etc. , and would be a long termer ..which we have trended away from.... so yes our ruck situation is far from a settled group.

While it wasn’t a great result for us last night I thought Fort was ok. What he does well is compete at contests both in the air and on the ground. He has shown some ability up forward which is where he’s mostly played since coming to the club.
I think Smith has to move on at the end of the year. And it would allow Fort time to develop more in the ruck through the vfl. It would be ideal if he was a bit younger or at least one of our rucks were.
But from where we were a couple of seasons ago the ruck and 2nd forward role has dramatically improved. Stanley got beaten last night but every player has bad days.
We have depth in the ruck we haven’t had for a long time. If we add to this at the end of the year or change it up that’s fine. Importantly the club seems to be putting more value on this spot.

Brodie Grundy was BoG today, and probably the match winner. What a missed opportunity he was.

Brodie Grundy was BoG today, and probably the match winner. What a missed opportunity he was.

Grundy was 2012 ... Id think if have a look there has been a few other rucks well since then.. we just have not been great at finding and keeping guys 200 plus..

Pretty soon he could be back in sa anyway...

Last edited:
While it wasn’t a great result for us last night I thought Fort was ok. What he does well is compete at contests both in the air and on the ground. He has shown some ability up forward which is where he’s mostly played since coming to the club.
I think Smith has to move on at the end of the year. And it would allow Fort time to develop more in the ruck through the vfl. It would be ideal if he was a bit younger or at least one of our rucks were.
But from where we were a couple of seasons ago the ruck and 2nd forward role has dramatically improved. Stanley got beaten last night but every player has bad days.
We have depth in the ruck we haven’t had for a long time. If we add to this at the end of the year or change it up that’s fine. Importantly the club seems to be putting more value on this spot.

I find myself quite liking the theory of Fort but the reality never seems to hold up as well. Even the three goal debut left me feeling a bit lukewarm at best.

I find myself quite liking the theory of Fort but the reality never seems to hold up as well. Even the three goal debut left me feeling a bit lukewarm at best.
He would need another 7-10kgs to be an effective ruck at AFL level. However, he has a really narrow body frame, so I am doubting he can. I don't think he is a natural forward, but rather a ruck that can go forward.

Luke Nelson for Tigers VFL has kicked 10 from only 3 games in the VFL system... Little fella, 175. Zippy, crumbs, can mark. Kicking distance is average though, but probably enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just seen what people views are... Would you rookie list Aaron Black next year? Before he did his knee his for down defence was really good.. but will be 29 I think... Only thing is the age, would it be best rookie list a KDF...

Too old same age as Hendo. Rookie a younger KPD though.

Lowson from Coburg @ 182cm looks okay, can mark, pressure, kick goals, and strong... don't let the man bun fool. 23yo, turning 24 in October.

I was surprised he didn't get taken in the MSD tbh.

What he does well is compete at contests both in the air and on the ground. He has shown some ability up forward which is where he’s mostly played since coming to the club.
What... He was nudged under the ball on so many occasions I lost count. If ONLY he competed - he was useless to be honest. Most of our team was to be fair but he was one that stood out even more. As I said we had so many passengers it was ridiculous. Ablett looked injured, Dangerfield was the only one with intent (looked like Geelong 2016-17-18). Duncan was spraying 10m passes of his boot, Blicavs was choking it up under pressure. Kolo was getting outpositioned. Stanley was making Lycett look like Grundy. Selwood was a ghost. Parfitt was a ghost (laid one good tackle). Guthrie danced around the contests with no impact as per usual. Disgusting performance from everyone except Danger.

everytime we get dominated by a ruck like that tonight i get so mad we dont have a better ruck.
would you consider one year of goldstein? from memeory hes out of contract but could be wrong.
also i know crows probably wont let him got but does ROB interest anyone too, is from Victoria played for the Calder Cannons

He's a UFA but he's old and if he comes the younger Stanley and Abbott will request trades. Not against it but i don't see the point.

Smith's 29 and our only OOC ruck so he's gone unless one of the others is traded. Agree with the rest of your post though.

I remeber watching the draft live and screaming and then ranting on here with the Thurlow pick

Mind numbing blunder from wells that nearly everyone on this board was calling out on the night.

I get people's fruatration with Stanley the other night (although he's had a good 12 months) but history will tell you you can win flags with average rucks (see Richmond Bulldogs even Hawthorn) which Stanley is...I dont see the point in paying heavy picks for a minor upgrade from a B grade to B+ grade ruck..its much more important to have a miserly defence and an elite midfield and forwards that convert. I wouldnt be paying picks for anyone over 27 (all our rucks are over this age) unless they are clearly elite like say a Gawn which isnt going to happen. Id only consider Goldstein because he's free draft pick wise and fairly durable even then I'd be reluctant. Darcy is different because he's younger so he's more future proofing for when all our other rucks have retired more so than for next year, but I doubt he comes.

To be fair Darcy tired because with 2 short on the bench they couldn't rotate him for rests-the first half i thought he was good considering how elite Gawn is. He'll never be athletic but the hope would be that as he loses puppy fat and builds endurance that he can be a crash and bash second effort at clearances Mumford style ruck. I wouldnt take him as the main part in any Kelly deal but as steak knives I'd consider it.

If we are to get another ruck next year who would you want?
Jacobs
Goldstein
Ryder
Darcy
Darcy being clearly the youngest would probably cost more. The other three have dropped off a lot this year. Ryder has had many injury issues but is a super talent. Jacobs in particular seems finished and doesn’t offer as much around the ground.
While some have raised issues with Darcy’s around the ground work. He would be my preference with or without Kelly going. He can play now but also has many years to develop.

If we are to get another ruck next year who would you want?
Jacobs
Goldstein
Ryder
Darcy
Darcy being clearly the youngest would probably cost more. The other three have dropped off a lot this year. Ryder has had many injury issues but is a super talent. Jacobs in particular seems finished and doesn’t offer as much around the ground.
While some have raised issues with Darcy’s around the ground work. He would be my preference with or without Kelly going. He can play now but also has many years to develop.

Jacobs is finished and i cant see Ryder moving across the country for a 1 year deal.

Goldstein has some appeal if he doesn't demand too much $ but ideally Darcy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back