Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WARNING TO ALL VISITORS TO THE GEELONG BOARD. You are - for the most part - welcome to discuss the current list management & trading situation at Geelong. However, this is our board, so be respectful of the home board posters & don't inflame arguments (make your points succinctly and move on). And if you're just here to troll, then don't bother or you will be enjoying a holiday

Not saying there won’t be be but Wellsy always has that one pick out of nowhere. Maybe this article gets the kid too much attention and he goes earlier lol.

Personally id prefer tom highmore if we are getting a mature age player fits our needs better.

Reading between the lines... it seems more of the Treloar like situation is possible in the future... clubs asking players to push back wages and hope the Salcap increases ... seems if things dont work out... big name players who come out of contract next year could be looking for other homes..

Stars to be hit by new pay deal solution as Essendon apologises to players for planning to withhold part of their salary
AFL stars face more back-ended contracts in a situation that is being described as ‘a complete balls-up’. It comes as Essendon was forced to apologise to its players.

Clubs have warned they face months of gruelling negotiations over a new pay deal as Essendon was forced to apologise to players over a botched attempt to withhold nine per cent of their salaries.

Collingwood is among the clubs which will be forced to ask stars to push part of their 2021 salaries into coming years only weeks after Adam Treloar’s back-ended deal resulted in catastrophe.

Essendon chief executive Xavier Campbell on Sunday admitted the Dons’ decision to withhold a portion of player salaries until the club worked on a solution to the pay deal was poorly communicated and wrong.

The league’s decision not to apply universal pay cuts to the nine per cent salary reduction for 2021 has been widely panned by player managers and clubs.

List managers were desperate for any pay cut to be applied across the board so all players would be in the same boat.

Instead some players will only accept a 3.5 per cent pay cut in total but 8.5 per cent next year, meaning clubs must back-end five per cent of those deals into 2022-23.

It will result in club salary caps shrinking significantly in 2022-23 compared to next season, meaning players out of contract next year will have to accept smaller deals.

The only hope for the AFL’s 18 clubs is that the salary cap will increase by 2022, giving them breathing room.

Many players will be reluctant to push their salaries back into later years given Treloar’s disastrous experience.

As one veteran list manager said on Sunday: “It’s a recipe for disaster. It’s a complete balls-up.”

Clubs exhausted by a season full of travel and making staff redundant will now spend the summer negotiating with every player on their list about their contracts and individual circumstances.

Collingwood is one of many clubs with a tight salary cap which will now be forced to go to some high-profile players and ask them to accept money towards the end of their contracts.

Western Bulldogs believe its side of the Treloar contract wrangle had them in a strong position as talks continue over how he is paid his $4.5 million, five-year salary.

The Dogs are adamant they were always clear about the exact portion they would pay of his $900,000 salary - believed to be $600,00 per season.

So the Pies and Treloar’s management will continue to talk about Collingwood paying the rest of the $300,000 per season he is owed until 2025.

As Essendon sorts out its salary cap picture, it had emailed players on Friday night and told them it was planning to withhold nine per cent of this month’s salary until it worked out a solution.

Furious players spoke to their managers and the AFLPA, with Campbell telling Nine Media on Sunday the decision was a mistake.

“We didn’t get the communication right and we own that. Our intention was to create a holding position for the next fortnight to allow us the time to meet properly with the playing group,“ Campbell said.

“I‘m disappointed that we didn’t consult properly with the players prior, and that is our fault. But we will do this over the next few days.”

Star players out of contract at the end of 2021, who will have a lesser pool of money as they seek to sign significant contracts, include Harry McKay, Patrick Cripps, Jeremy Howe, Jake Stringer, Clayton Oliver, Dion Prestia, Jack Billings and Marcus Bontempelli.

Jeez these apparent 'big' clubs really can't seem to get their s**t together, hey?

I honestly think there is a fair chance we have a crack at Merrett next year - especially if Sel retires. Country boy, has done a few promos with Hawk and would fit in great. Has also had a gutful of Essendon from what I can see too. Would be my pick for who we have a look at next year

Damn right we are!

"David King believes Geelong is the number one destination club in the AFL right now.

Looking at a number of factors, including chances of success, environment, lifestyle and opportunity, the North Melbourne premiership player believes the Cats tick every box.

King went through what makes clubs attractive for prospective trade targets.

“I think it can shift depending on what sort of premiership opportunity you’re providing,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“So Hawthorn traditionally in the last decade have been able to grab players pretty comfortably, it’s a lot tougher now.

“So outside of premiership opportunity, what else is there? Is it the facilities? Is it the environment?

“I look at the West Coast Eagles, they’ve got that new facility at Lathlain that I think is absolutely unbelievable, they’ve got opportunities outside of football being a two-team town.

“The Swans, players want to go there because their role is guaranteed, they’re getting you for a specific purpose. There’s a predictability to the way they play because they haven’t changed in eons.”

The Cats were prolific in the trade period, bringing in Jeremy Cameron and Shaun Higgins as well as Isaac Smith via free agency.

King outlined why he thinks Geelong currently sits above the other 17 teams.

“I think Geelong right now are the number one destination club for a whole host of reasons,” he said.

“And I think the actual area of Geelong, the new-look Geelong, it’s the boom, everyone wants to live there, they’ve got the beaches around the corner, they’ve got the lifestyle without the hustle and bustle and I think there’s a real attraction in that.

“I do think Geelong now with their ability to offer the lifestyle, it’s something that’s thrown into the mix that’s totally different.

Jeremy Cameron would’ve looked at that and said ‘my boat can be a kilometre down the road and I’m away from football straight away’.

“I think the coach (Chris Scott) is very flexible in the times he wants these players at the football club.

“I hear Patrick Dangerfield talk all the time how they treat their players like they’re family. Every decision is made around freeing up as much time as they possibly can have and getting away from football.

“I do think the Geelong lifestyle is something other clubs are having trouble contending with.”

Damn right we are!

"David King believes Geelong is the number one destination club in the AFL right now.

Looking at a number of factors, including chances of success, environment, lifestyle and opportunity, the North Melbourne premiership player believes the Cats tick every box.

“I think it can shift depending on what sort of premiership opportunity you’re providing,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“So Hawthorn traditionally in the last decade have been able to grab players pretty comfortably, it’s a lot tougher now.

“So outside of premiership opportunity, what else is there? Is it the facilities? Is it the environment?

“I look at the West Coast Eagles, they’ve got that new facility at Lathlain that I think is absolutely unbelievable, they’ve got opportunities outside of football being a two-team town.

“The Swans, players want to go there because their role is guaranteed, they’re getting you for a specific purpose. There’s a predictability to the way they play because they haven’t changed in eons.”

The Cats were prolific in the trade period, bringing in Jeremy Cameron and Shaun Higgins as well as Isaac Smith via free agency.

“I think Geelong right now are the number one destination club for a whole host of reasons,” he said.

“And I think the actual area of Geelong, the new-look Geelong, it’s the boom, everyone wants to live there, they’ve got the beaches around the corner, they’ve got the lifestyle without the hustle and bustle and I think there’s a real attraction in that.

“I do think Geelong now with their ability to offer the lifestyle, it’s something that’s thrown into the mix that’s totally different.

Jeremy Cameron would’ve looked at that and said ‘my boat can be a kilometre down the road and I’m away from football straight away’.

“I think the coach (Chris Scott) is very flexible in the times he wants these players at the football club.

“I hear Patrick Dangerfield talk all the time how they treat their players like they’re family. Every decision is made around freeing up as much time as they possibly can have and getting away from football.

“I do think the Geelong lifestyle is something other clubs are having trouble contending with.”

What comes around gos around... for years we were the yokel club ..

...and I have a feeling it doesnt hurt us too much ..if some of the Falcons get drafted elsewhere... cause plenty of players grew up with asperations..Its thge issue imo of drafting metro kids to clubs like gws .. They grew up with a footy in their bed dreaming of screamers on the G..

but once they have a bit of time elsewhere ... sometime the circus has not got the appeal anymore... a sort of Vic version of why guys like Buddy wanted to go to Sydney.

The test of the destination club thing will be tested if we drop of the radar a bit..one or two years out of finals..... so I can see the club want to put a ladder under our feet if they feel we are sliding off the roof and just hanging on to the gutter. Can they find another gun mid like Danger who wants to come at the right age ..and step in and be B&F standard..

The destination club does tend to floats a bit on the quality of the list... balanced with location..my bet is Gold Coast is not far away from being a place now that a lot will consider. The have the young list a bit like us in 03 ish.. if they can make finals they will be inundated with phone calls from managers.

Last edited:
Damn right we are!

I’m looking forward to when he backflips on this like he always does

What comes around gos around... for years we were the yokel club ..

...and I have a feeling it doesnt hurt us too much ..if some of the Falcons get drafted elsewhere... cause plenty of players grew up with asperations..Its thge issue imo of drafting metro kids to clubs like gws .. They grew up with a footy in their bed dreaming of screamers on the G..

but once they have a bit of time elsewhere ... sometime the circus has got the appeal anymore... a sort of Vic version of why guys like Buddy wanted to go to Sydney.

The test of the destination club thing will be tested if we drop of the radar a bit..one or two years out of finals..... so I can see the club want to put a ladder under our feet if they feel we are sliding off the roof and just hanging on to the gutter. Can they find another gun mid like Danger who wants to come at the right age ..and step in and be B&F standard..

The destination club does tend to floats a bit on the quality of the list... balanced with location..my bet is Gold Coast is not far away from being a place now that a lot will consider. The have the young list a bit like us in 03 ish.. if they can make finals they will be inundated with phone calls from managers.

It's 90% because we are in contention IMO.

Fall down the ladder and we will have s**t trucks like Jade Rawlings demanding a driver to come down again.

Hawthorn are not a destination club anymore. Their lustre wore off quickly once their on field fortunes did. I expect we will be the same.

Fall down the ladder and we will have sh*t trucks like Jade Rawlings demanding a driver to come down again.

Hawthorn are not a destination club anymore. Their lustre wore off quickly once their on field fortunes did. I expect we will be the same.
Hard to argue with that .. yes we have come a fair way from being knocked back by the likes of Rawlings and revelling in getting the likes of a cooked player White

Spot on - and re the Hawks - and im not bagging them - because they are a great club - but it is all about the now - and their list at the moment doesnt look attractive . One thing in their favour - is when their list does look good again and on the verge - then if their are other clubs - eg Ess Carl Nth Melb -in the same position then the player might pick Haw - because historically they have been successful .

Fall down the ladder and we will have sh*t trucks like Jade Rawlings demanding a driver to come down again.

Mmm I'd say it's more like 50% post covid. As that article points out, players are looking for that balance of lifestyle and club involvement - especially in the wake of changed work/life conditions that have placed a greater emphasis on where you reside - which Geelong and the greater surrounds delivers in spades.

It's only an hour from Melbourne, we play in blockbusters but we also play at our country style home ground. We have the beach down the road, but also the country. Our culture is fantastic, and we always have great leadership and role models.

Even if we were to fall down the ladder and not be as attractive on a pure competitiveness standpoint, we'd sure as hell still offer the work/life balance aspect, alongside a great environment to be in.

As Turbo pointed out before, GC are the most similar to us in terms of that balance, and now that they've got their admin and culture sorted out and heading in the right direction, they could be a real destination club in their own right in the future. Big difference with us is though, we'll always have our blockbusters at the 'G - something you don't get in an interstate environment

Last edited:
I like Isiah Winder or Henry Walsh for our pick 51.

Our next pick just grab the best state level key back as insurance should Henderson or Blicavs go down injured. SDK is still raw.

I think both of the first two will go in the 20-40 range so wont get there.

Agree on the second bit and i think mature kpd should be in the clubs thinking hence i was thinking highmore among others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The big 3.
We got Ottens- we were outside the 8 in 06. Fresh start, opportunity, need
We got Danger and Crows finished above us, and we were meant to be on the way down. Lifestyle, home.
We got Cameron.Arguably, GWS are as able to contend as we are next year. Lifestyle.
I think the location, lifestyle, beaches and the reputation of GFC are all equally important

The big 3.
We got Ottens- we were outside the 8 in 06. Fresh start, opportunity, need
We got Danger and Crows finished above us, and we were meant to be on the way down. Lifestyle, home.
We got Cameron.Arguably, GWS are as able to contend as we are next year. Lifestyle.
I think the location, lifestyle, beaches and the reputation of GFC are all equally important

Thats a fair assessment too. In truth its hard to say how much is what factor. Its been a long time now on this run ..Ottens was 04 ..and blind freddy could see we had done a reasonable job of building a list flor the future , we had just made the PF ... what did we lack.. a quality tall forward so , good fit ..and yes .. the right location etc.

I think have always had the location thing for us ..but our club now is acknowledged as a professional well run club ... good facilities etc etc..

so even when we do drop off a bit we will have that going for us ... .. our next big test will be who replaces Cook. to keep that rep up.

Cal Twomey now suggesting Tanner Bruhn could fall as low as Richmond at 17. Who could we deal with to move ahead of them.
Not sure. I don’t think Collingwood will stay with their picks. They will be bringing forward their pick from next year and bundling up so that will change the order. Maybe GWS would like to move one of their picks from this year back to next year in a direct swap. Maybe 15 for a future 1st if Bruhn is still there. I mean we will be targeting him in two years anyway 😂 Some club has to pick up Bruhn and Oliver so the club easiest to lure them back from is GWS.

I have no issue trading next years first for a local player we want but I really don’t want to be throwing in extra sweetners. As mentioned before at the end of the day kids are unknown and a 1st round pick + a high 2nd rounder buys you a quality player in trade week.

Cal Twomey now suggesting Tanner Bruhn could fall as low as Richmond at 17. Who could we deal with to move ahead of them.

I think .".could " is the key... it shows the flex ... in the order..as he has him being picked at 10.

Personally I think we suck it up a bit..it hurts atm pre draft seeing the kids we are missing on. but we hold hard.. and load up fro next year. In trade to get back into the R1 will probably be too costlly ..and it will only get us a pick in the range of late teens.

Keep our picks... and then be in a position to perhaps get another R1 next year. Collingwood is the obvious club who will have to trade their R1..

and the players we miss out on this year like henry or Bruhn. etc... we can see how they go .. and look at trading them in when available..

The biggest opportunities will be with clubs matching bids but I doubt any pick in the top 20 comes into play here. More like offloading one in the 20s for 51 + future second (tied to Geelong) or 30s for 51+future third (tied to Melbourne). Our future first will have to come into play to get into the teens and I don't think we'll pay that. I reckon our strategy will be around preparing to go hard for someone falling into the 20s who we like but otherwise only making small moves (if at all).

The biggest opportunities will be with clubs matching bids but I doubt any pick in the top 20 comes into play here. More like offloading one in the 20s for 51 + future second (tied to Geelong) or 30s for 51+future third (tied to Melbourne). Our future first will have to come into play to get into the teens and I don't think we'll pay that. I reckon our strategy will be around preparing to go hard for someone falling into the 20s who we like but otherwise only making small moves (if at all).

I agree with that totally..i dont think the clubs with teens picks will move them and i dont think we would pay the future 1st needed to get that done...swapping future 2nds for 20/30s picks seems more likely to me.

Collingwood wont trade their picks they want to move up this year future 1st is useless to them due to daicos.
I doubt gws swap any of their picks for a future 1st.
Freo maybe? In short i think it would be very difficult to get a pick in the teens, the 20s picks once a lot of the academy bids come will be the range we could trade back into.

Collingwood wont trade their picks they want to move up this year future 1st is useless to them due to daicos.
I doubt gws swap any of their picks for a future 1st.
Freo maybe? In short i think it would be very difficult to get a pick in the teens, the 20s picks once a lot of the academy bids come will be the range we could trade back into.

Talk that Essendon could trade pick 8 to Collingwood for 16 and a F1. We might be able to then trade with the bombers for 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back